Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,309 |  Reviews: 568

1pint, 9.6oz brown bottle from Ron's in Farmington. Slightly murky yet translucent red-orange body with less than an inch of off-white head. Smells fruity, like berries, though not necessarily as raspberry-like as one might expect. Tastes berry-like with just a little alcohol warming on the finish. While it's medium bodied and definitely a sipper, it's not a syruppy or overwealming as I expected. Very drinkable considering the alcohol strength. Not bad. Not something I'd get all the time, but well-done.

This is the third time I've bought one of these bad boys. Pours from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. Head disappears quickly, leaving behind a dark golden brew. Smells fruity and sweet. Tastes of rasberries and alcohol. Lots of burn on the back of the throat as it goes down, but I like that. Has a thick, cloying sweetness to it, but again, I like that in this beer. Good thing I'm splitting this one with my wife or I might be on the floor afterwards.

A- Dull, hazy orange with a decent bone-white head, maybe an inch high (quite good for an 18% ABV beer, I would say).

S- Huge raspberry aroma, like a framboise on Stanozolol. Lots of alcohol too, as expected, and tons of sweet, cake-like malt backing the fruit. It's reminiscent of a fruitier 120 Minute, actually.

T- Hmm, interesting. I was expecting this to be syrupy sweet, but it's actually quite tart. The raspberries come through very nicely with a big, juicy flavor. I almost expected to be spitting seeds out after taking a sip. The raspberries really dominate the flavor; I actually would prefer a little malt sweetness to balance out the sour raspberry juice. The alcohol is certainly there, but it's quite well-hidden for such an insanely strong brew. The finish is remarkably dry, proving this to be a very well-attenuated beer.

M- I thought this would be syrupy like other very high-ABV beers I've had, but it's really not. The carbonation is quite high and balances out the viscosity, resulting in a nice fizzy medium body.

D- This one is tough to rate. Considering its strength, I would say that this beer is very drinkable. That being said, it's definitely a sipper and one that should be sipped for a long time. Nevertheless, I have to give it a good score here, because I imagine that it will go down faster than any 18% beer I've had before, even if that's not saying a whole lot.

The good folks at Dogfish Head continue to surprise and delight. This beer is not at all what I was expecting (a syrupy-sweet alcohol bomb) and is actually a really nice fruit beer. It's certainly not one I'll be getting again any time soon, as the price is kind of steep (although not bad considering its strength) and it pretty much has to be shared with at least one other person (preferably two or more). Still, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. If you've got the money and the curiosity to try this beer, don't hesitate to get it.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery