Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Ratings: 1,297 |  Reviews: 564

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

A shame this beer. This particular bottle at least. Having just gone through my beer cellar inventory I had noticed this Fort, although being purchased in 2009, had a late 2006 production date. Originally I read the '08 for an '06 and so it is I realized for the first time I was cellaring a five year old beer. A five year old beer very high in unfermented sugar surely.

Disappointed. Unfortunately I've had too much exposure to oxidised fruit wine and that is exactly what I'm getting from this bottle. I'm sure in it's more youthful days it had a hint of Raspberry Port or Brandy. I can taste it, I can see it. A dark brown with a hint of ruby, Irish Red would be fitting. Age has killed any form of carbonation and like a geriatric bottle of red wine it oxidises almost immediately. You get a whiff of it's youth, then it's gone. Lost to the present. It's Mickey Rooney in a bottle. Drink it when it was married to Ava Gardener. Young is best, if you have a 2008 drink it NOW! It has most likely already climaxed and is on it's way to the grave.

This being said, I can drink past the oxidation. If you can overlook the vinegar and the flatness this beer has something to say, it has experience, it has a story to tell. I'm watching Citizen Kane as I drink this bottle. What a fitting analogy. My old Fort is surely on the decline, but it is a bottle that has truly lived. Not some lager. Some lager who started life in mediocrity and finished it's years in the as the same shit lager as it began. Your drinking the steady decline into hell. It's not a James Dean or a Grace Kelly, it's a M. Night Shymalan or a Steve McQueen. I'd rather drink a beer that was once great than one that was never great at all.

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%