Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,309 |  Reviews: 568
2.85/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

A shame this beer. This particular bottle at least. Having just gone through my beer cellar inventory I had noticed this Fort, although being purchased in 2009, had a late 2006 production date. Originally I read the '08 for an '06 and so it is I realized for the first time I was cellaring a five year old beer. A five year old beer very high in unfermented sugar surely.

Disappointed. Unfortunately I've had too much exposure to oxidised fruit wine and that is exactly what I'm getting from this bottle. I'm sure in it's more youthful days it had a hint of Raspberry Port or Brandy. I can taste it, I can see it. A dark brown with a hint of ruby, Irish Red would be fitting. Age has killed any form of carbonation and like a geriatric bottle of red wine it oxidises almost immediately. You get a whiff of it's youth, then it's gone. Lost to the present. It's Mickey Rooney in a bottle. Drink it when it was married to Ava Gardener. Young is best, if you have a 2008 drink it NOW! It has most likely already climaxed and is on it's way to the grave.

This being said, I can drink past the oxidation. If you can overlook the vinegar and the flatness this beer has something to say, it has experience, it has a story to tell. I'm watching Citizen Kane as I drink this bottle. What a fitting analogy. My old Fort is surely on the decline, but it is a bottle that has truly lived. Not some lager. Some lager who started life in mediocrity and finished it's years in the as the same shit lager as it began. Your drinking the steady decline into hell. It's not a James Dean or a Grace Kelly, it's a M. Night Shymalan or a Steve McQueen. I'd rather drink a beer that was once great than one that was never great at all.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

A: Pours red with almost no head

S: Lots of raspberries, cherries, and assorted berries, along with a rum raisin sort of booziness.

T: Raspberries, a sherry sort of booziness, general fruity flavors. Very nice, like a really strong lambic.

O: This is quite nice. I have to mention that this is a 2008 bottle, so with 3 years on it it's probably much less boozy than when it was fresh. Still, I like it quite a bit.

Out of a bottle I picked up for $3.99 (!) this beer was a murky brown color with one finger of sandalwood colored head. The retention was stubborn and impressive as a fine layer that left lacing all down my glass in a thin curtain. The aroma was boozy with plenty of raspberries, sweet malt, brown sugar and hints of both molasses and bourbon. The flavors were also punchy and suggestive of being worth aging. I tasted the punch first of alcohol heat and raspberries followed by grains, sweet malt and pilsner malt. A big, big beer. The mouthfeel was smooth and frothy, the body medium and the carbonation light. A good beer but dominated by the alcohol and one that I think needs to age to be appreciated. Still, for the price I paid, I’m gonna go back and grab another and put it down for a few years…

3.49/5  rDev -6.4%

We crack the top on this 2008 vintage and glug out a liquid the light caramel color of apple cider. The head is a tan color, and only appeared when poured roughly. What is seen are little clumps of bubbles here and there, with no lacing throughout the tasting. The beer holds an impenetrable haze, but no sediment is noted, save for the last few drops of the bottle, which hold a granular, sandy yeast. This is deposited all around the glass, noted only when the glass begins to empty. The carbonation appears low, and the bubbles rise slowly through the murkiness. The nose presents dominantly, with fusel alcohols at the front. These mix with big plastic phenols and an acetone reminiscent of nail polish remover. There are equally as bright acetaldehydes, giving a green apple flare to it. The raspberry is significant, but the presence of the booze, and the robustness of the chocolate and caramel malts contribute to drowning it out. The taste begins with tart raspberry and a fine acidity. Once the tartness clears, the puckered mouth fights with sugary sweet caramel malts, and an aspect of brown sugar. The middle peaks of fruitiness, with strong and sweet raspberries, and a malty bready quality. There is also a buttery, not quite diacetyl, bite to the top of the swallow. The end is of darker malts, and the burning sting of alcohol. The aftertaste breathes of enormous fusel alcohols, of a cheap vodka quality, and plastic phenols. Here the booze finally cuts the sweetness all the way down. The body is medium and the carbonation is lighter. Each sip is thick and syrupy, producing a clean coating and drying with each drop. Due to the ever present alcohol, there is a massive warming effect felt by the drinker. The abv is nearly unparalleled, and the beer drinks at a snail’s pace.

Overall, what we enjoyed best about this brew was the fact that the fruit seemed so genuine. With the big booze profile these flavors mixed and it produced flavoring comparable to a port wine, while the appearance and smells screamed that it was a cider. Where we lost points, however, was in the over the top booze. After a few sips the worries about this slip away, but it makes the beer less approachable, and harder to get into in the first place.

3.33/5  rDev -10.7%

Some bottles need warning labels...this is one of them. I bought this because I've been really enjoying all the crazy shit that DFH produces. They push the envelope: some good, some not so good. This offering was previously unknown to me, and I was completely unaware of the ABV. Cracked the bottle and liked the look and smell. Yeah, it's boozy smelling but I had no idea what was going to jump out and bite me in the ass. It mellows as it warms, but the bite and burn are still very prominent. The raspberries and sweetness are there, but you have to make a conscious effort to think about them. Otherwise, the only thing there is ALCOHOL. I'm about 10 sips in, and the drunken fog begins.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery