Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,300 |  Reviews: 566
3.77/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one.

Bottled on 7/9/07

Poured into kbs chalice

Pours 1/4 finger of khaki colored head. Color is a burnt orange hued brown.

Aroma: Smells boozy with a ton of raspberry. I can actually smell every raspberry that they used in making this beer. Some caramel malt shows. Big flavor here.

Taste: Woah, this beer is huge. Tons of raspberry. Sweet and sugary. A massive amount of booze shows. Some yeast and malts are present. Maybe a layer of toffee.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and syrupy. Just a tad hot as well. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a hot burn to it. So much booze showing.

Overall, this beer is a massive sipper. As I drank more of it, it got easier to drink. Whether or not this was a result of the alcohol is another question. The raspberries are delicious, but just so much alcohol comes through.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

I guess you can't really fault the appearance since it's 18% alcohol by volume, but the head doesn't stick around real long and there's little lace. The aroma is nice and the mouthfeel is good, but despite the fact that they use real raspberries, there's an extract character to the flavor. That might be coming from the alcohol, however, as it's quite obvious. DFH has made better beers, and I expected a lot more from this one.
Rating: 3.67 / Look:3.5 Smell:4 Taste:3.5 Feel:4 Overall: 3.5

Re-review on 3 Jan 2017: From a 12 oz. bottle "BOTTLED ON 10/23/15". Geez, I didn't realize this sample was so old when I set out to write this, I just opened it and found it didn't fit my memory of the beer and thought it deserved an update. In any case, the alcohol that I'd found previously is much more refined. There's some, and as it's a strong beer I'd expect that, but it doesn't come off as "hot". That might be due to aging, but I'd imagine that it's actually due to fermentation process at the time it was made. The raspberry also appears real, and I'm guessing the two go hand in hand, with the excess alcohol having thrown it off in my previous sample. It's pretty bright and fresh, and nicely supported by the sweet malt that's behind it. It actually smells to me like sweetened raspberries. On top of that, although the head does drop, it still maintains a wide collar, and leaves some OK spotty lacing behind. So across the board I feel this beer scores at least a 4 in its current incarnation (or... it's incarnation from a year ago - maybe it's a candidate for aging!). I picture it now as a kind of Belgian-style fruit-barleywine, and I could easily imagine it in Belgium with a Belgian (young or old) sitting at the bar nursing it as a long-stretched after work beer or early weekend tipple while reading the paper. And my only problem with that, with treating it as a rich beer that you only occasionally sip (which I do often during the later evening), is that the fruitiness makes it almost compelling drinkable, continually drawing me back to it... I don't think it will last that long ;) All of my scores are now adjusted, with this beer coming way up from something I'd originally found flawed to something that's actually rather special.

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed from notes.

Poured into a snifter. The color is a reddish-orange with a tiny head that quickly dissipates. The nose is just straight-up raspberries and booze. A nice sweetness and a bit of a tart character. The taste is similar with it almost acting as a liqueur. Right now, this is definitely too boozy although I could see it aging fairly well as long as a good bit of the fruit holds up.

3.43/5  rDev -7%

Bottled on 2011-10-14

A: Pours a clear ruby red with a finger tall off white head and light visible carbonation. The head reduces over time but about 50% of the original head was retained. Moderate lacing is observed.

S: Some sweetness and definite presence of the raspberries but there is more than a faint hint of alcohol in the nose. The smell of the berries is very refreshing but then it is followed by a slightly astringent burning from the alcohol.

T: Rich raspberry and malt sweetness followed by the slow burn of the alcohol. The flavor is intense and rich.

M: Medium bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. I would describe it as very clean.

O: The beer is a little heavy on the alcohol taste and smell for me but not a bad beer. I'm glad that I had the chance to sample this one but I will probably not be purchasing any more of them. Would be interesting to see what happens with this one if cellared but by space is too constrained to do that. Perhaps the perfect serving of this would be a cordial glass worth as a digestiff.

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

First had: on tap at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Slightly hazy golden-peach color with a small head that left a bit of soapy lacing, but didn't stick around too long. Aroma of raspberries and grainy alcohol, and not much else. Taste of raspberry, framboise-ish, but much bigger on the booze. Not much else in the way of flavor or complexity, pretty straightforward, pretty strong, delivers what it promises. Medium in body and carbonation. Not a bad beer, but definitely not for everyone. A shot of raspberry vodka is probably cheaper and you'll get the same effect, and be able to move on with your life quicker.

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2.78/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On the bottle it said bottled in 2008. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured amber orange in color with a slight reddish tint to it. It has a very modest head, barely covering the top of the beer and concentrated around the edges.

The aroma shows a lot of boozy alcohol to it. The raspberries are definitely present as well but come through more as if they were soaked in alcohol. There is just too much solvent like alcohol flavors coming through to be that appealing.

The taste shows a lot of the fruity raspberry flavors. They really come through pretty nicely and taste fresh which is a plus. Lots of alcohol present as well and very warming as I drank it. More of an alcohol soaked raspberry flavor to it then anything else really.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side and somewhat syrupy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability isn't that great unfortunately, it's a lot like drinking a raspberry liquor. Just too hot and boozy to be that drinkable. The raspberry flavors were pretty good and fresh but they weren't bold enough to get past the alcohol. This wasn't that bad of a drink, I just don't think it scores well as a beer. I probably would think it was a very good raspberry liquor.

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%

2007 bottle, enjoyed in 2011.

A – Beautiful color; raspberry ice tea and black cherries. The head has a solid consistency with trace pink highlights. Ok retention, but poor lace.

S – An interesting contrast between light aromas of sweet apricot, wood, and booze, and darker notes of medium grade honey and prune.

T – Sharp booze into a crisp oak, plum and brown sugar. Medicinal middle. The darker fruits fade into a distinct raspberry and molasses backend.

M – Aggressive alcohol on a medium body. Ok carbonation. Incredibly long, sweet, oaky finish.

O – At 18% I'm definitely looking for some booze in the profile, but I wasn't a huge fan of the way it played out in this beer. The alcohol felt detached from the rest of the profile; more of a distraction than an asset. I was surprised that 4 years of aging didn’t do more to mellow out and integrate the profile.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Extremely cloudy, almost as if yeast was stirred into it. No light shines through. The color is burnt orange. Decent head, but very little lace.

Sweet, but slightly plastic; muffled sour cherry aroma.

This is an extreme beer: Powerful alcoholic warmth, particularly in the swallow. Strong sour cherry flavor up front. The body is very rich and the carbonation is notably muted. Interestingly, I taste no yeast.

Such a powerful beer in such a large bottle, I wonder if I can finish it. In many ways its like drinking a port or other fortified liquor. This deserves to be served from a smaller vessel. Or you could share this one with six friends.

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at DFH in Rehoboth Beach.

A: Served in a goblet, Fort was pinkish-red in color with a small off-white head. Moderate head retention and very minimal lacing.

S: Definitely some raspberries, very rich and fresh, slightly sweet. Not really much else going on in terms of flavors, but there is a sizeable alcohol presence as well.

T: Lots of raspberries again, slightly tart, a bit of brown sugar and raisins. There is again a pretty good amount of alcohol coming through.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Certainly very fresh. The raspberry flavor was strong, but the booziness made it hard to drink. Would be interested in laying down a bottle for a few years, but there are other beers I would rather cellar more.

4.37/5  rDev +18.4%

Radiant pumpkin orange with buffed bronze edges. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing that this raspberry beer isn't raspberry red. The golden sandstone colored crown has an appealing, tight-bubbled texture. It's impressively persistent and is beginning to deposit an acceptable amount of lace.

Fort's nose is all kinds of outstanding if you like Chambord, or any other quality raspberry liqueur. Amazingly enough, this beer has a higher ABV (18.0%) than Chambord (16.5%). It wouldn't surprise me a bit if black raspberries were present alongside the red ones.

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery can get a little 'out there' on occasion when it comes to some of their offerings. Does a raspberry fruit beer that's nearly 40-proof qualify? Perhaps, but it's still damn good stuff and isn't as weird and wacky as some of what they brew.

Maybe not technically speaking, but practically speaking, Fort is more raspberry cordial than raspberry beer. The only problem with putting it in 750 ml bottles is that it doesn't have even a fraction of the shelf-life of a bottle of liqueur. Share it with a friend or sip it over the course of a day, like I plan to do.

The flavor profile is simple and straightforward, which isn't a negative at all. Herbs and/or spices wouldn't have worked well at all. Unless they're present, then they worked out just fine. I'm still thinking that some darker berries were used. The beer practically explodes with black raspberry jam, which is one of my favorite toast toppings.

Regarding the mouthfeel, it's full and syrupy without being ooey-gooey and overly sticky. Again, think liqueur, with just enough underlying carbonation to give it some beer-like life. Upon further reflection, the mouthfeel is pretty close to perfect when everything is taken into account.

Even though I don't always love the end result, I love the way Sam Caglione pushes the envelope when it comes to craft beer. This is one of the most unique and most delicious fruit ales that I've ever had. Putting it in 12 ounce bottles (like World Wide Stout) seems like a no-brainer. That's probably the only way I'd buy it again.

3.82/5  rDev +3.5%

750 ml brown champagne style magnum with just a cap. No freshness date, but a beer this strong will age quite well.

A- The lace crackles as it slowly loses retention, good clarity ... the sediment was left behind during this pouring.

S- Smells of a raspberry cordial, sweet with a huge fruity raspberry nose.

T&M- Clean malt palate, touch of neutral yet mildly nutty yeast. Loads of berry flavors but predominantly raspberry juice. Moderate body with a slick crispness on the palate. Clean but lightly solvent alcohol warms with each sip. Clean and semi-dry finish with a fading fruitiness.

D- Wow, quite an amazing ride for a fruit beer. A little bit more alcohol and I'd be drinking gourmet schnapps. Share this beer between a few friends with a slab of raspberry filled baked Brie cheese.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Well in my neverending quest to empty out my closet and et to these hard to reach beers the beers that I have stored away for sometimes it may seem to be years, I have come across my latest discovery, Dogfish head's Fort. What can be said about a monstrously huge bottle of brew that simply says ale brewed with rasberry with no ABV or warning on it in regards to what may lie inside? Needless to say I was more then willing to dive in and see what this beer could be made of. I have to admit though, I was a bit intimidated, as word of mouth had told me this was a damn bigbeer that was gonna be hard to put down, we shall see....

Well upon the pour we have an extremely hazy amber. Slightly darker then your normal ale. Lots of visible carbonation was evident from the start, chains of bubbles rippling up from the bottom of the glass. Lots of haze, literally made this opaque. Tons of suspended particles as well, some of them quite large. This may have been due to the aged bottle, as it had a 11/05 brewed date on it. Nice one inch thick white head receeded rather quicky leaving behind a thin film on top of the glass and a nice amount of lace drooping down the sides. Biggest story here. by far had to be all the haziness and the suspended particles which it seemed clouded the view completly and gave it a very thick appearence.

The smell was strong, and very fruity. Large hint of rasberry was readily apparent from the start. I would have thought that the alcohol smell would have been stronger then what it was, however it was not that apparent. Don't get me wrong, this smelled alot like a strong wine, however it just did not smell overwhelminglt strong from the start. A very sugary aroma aroma was present as was a slight hint of grain in the back, overall very fruity smell.

The taste was well, bitter. This knocked my head back at the first sip. Insanely strong and fruity. Perhaps the strongest fruiteness I have ever tasted in a beer before. Incredible fresh rasberries in the flavor were evident right from the start. The one thing that shocked me however, was that I would have thought the alcohol presence would have been alot stronger then it was. It was noticeable but not 18% noticeable if you know what I mean, A slight hoppiness was present in the finsh, quite dry actually. Very smooth feel, great carbonation, led to that nice silky, bubbly light feeling. Overall the flavors were very very intense, and the fruit and hop flavors far overpowered the alcohol. This made the profile really jump out at you, and made what could have been overpoweringly hot with alcohol,. not only tolerable, but actually rather emjoyable as the session wore on.

Overall this was one of the more unique beers I have tried. Way way fruity and full of complex flavors, and over the top with the alcohol, to the point I probably should not have gone at this one alone. Somehow, someway they brewed this to be very drinkable. You gotta try this at least once for the novelty sake of it, though at 20 bucks its a bit of a far cry from pure novelty. Still this was really much better then I had expected and I would really recommend trying this.

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Presentation - 750ml served in medium snifter freshness date states 11/13/06 bottling
A - Ruby red/deep chesnut hued ale with a thin white head that leaves almost no lacing

S - Aromas of alchol that are sherry like, cedar and dry raspberry and mellow plum scents

M & T - Effervescent with tinges of sweet raspberry followed by honey and woody sour cherry. Flavors of currant and cardomom are accompanied by warming presence of alcohol Dances lightly on the tongue with substantial depth.

D - Not a very drinkable ale albeit a sweet and flavorful one. Strength is deceptive and might make for a better digestif than and aperitiff.

3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

From 7/24/10 notes.

a - Pours a dark amber color with an inch of reddish head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of cherries, dark fruits, and fruity
malts. Hints of alcohol, but not that bad considering the 18% ABV.

t - Tastes of raspberries, other dark fruits, caramel malts, fruity malts, and a bit of alcohol. Again, not too bad considering the ABV.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - I thought this was a pretty good fruit beer. The high ABV would make it hard to drink too much of it, but I didn't feel as though it hurt the smell, taste, or feel. I've had lower ABV beers where the alcohol was much more prominent. Would try again.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery