Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,313 |  Reviews: 569

3.88/5  rDev +4%

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Typed up review from notes taken previously.

Bottle poured into a Snifter.

Pours a hazy/cloudy raspberry/sweet potato color that has a nice head but lacks much lacing.

A slight hint of pine needles, citrus fruit, and of course raspberries. Alcohol is noticeable in the nose, for sure.

Taste follows nose... Piney and floral notes give way to grapefruit, raspberry, and other sweet fruits (over-ripened black cherries, sour cherries, and tart cranberries). And a strong alcohol warming as it hits the back of the throat.

Feels really thicker than it looked. Almost heavy.

Seems pretty strong-- )At time of review, I had no knowledge of ABV, but I guessed in my notes that it was in the 13% to 15% range). If my guess about alcohol strenght is correct, then I'd say it is pretty well balanced to hide that much booze. This thing really opened up and got better as it warmed up. The bottle I drank was opened after being aged for 2 years... So now I just need to find a fresh one... And buy two of them... so I can age the 2nd one for 5 years!

4.29/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a big beer. No doubt. Great sweet aroma. Tons of raspberry favor and lots if booze. Definitely a sipper. Gonna take my time with this one.

3.87/5  rDev +3.8%

25.6 fl oz brown bottle; served in an oversized wine glass.
Bottled on July 09, 2007.

Pours a light raspberry, hazy-dirty camel coloration. Thin, filmy off-white sheet that gathers as a thin ring of bubbles around the rim of the wine glass. A few drops of lacing with the expected difficulty in sticking to the wine glass.

Slick, almost intensely sweet maltiness. Mild notes of tartness, but more noticeable vinous fruity esters: raisin, and plum. Lingering notes of caramel and toffee with a port-like alcohol aroma. Big and complex.

Bright and tart fruity esters immediately that last to the finish, but become less sour as the sip melds with the other flavors. Raspberry, lemon, orange, and apple. Near mid-sip is a darker caramel and milk chocolate sweetness. The alcohol presence is very mellow like an aged port, but still very intense. The flavor complexities are bold, yet balanced. What a unique concoction.

Medium bodied; slickly creamy. Not quite gaseous, which is surprising for a brew at 18% abv, and not too acidic either.

Bold, balanced, and complex with a pleasant texture. The only problem is the alcohol content. I made the mistake of drinking this one on my own, and I have a feeling that I'll need to recap half of the bottle and enjoy the rest tomorrow. This extreme offering should definitely be shared.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.98/5  rDev +6.7%

4.57/5  rDev +22.5%

My 750th review! Live Review. Poured from the 1 pint, 9.6 fl. oz. bottle that I purchased for $20.09 at Siciliano's in Grand Rapids, MI on or about 10 19 09 while on vacation there. "Bottled on" date of 07/09/07. Poured into my silver rimmed Stone Levitation Ale tulip like glass.

A Significant but brief light brown head that dissipated within a few minutes to a ring around the top of the beer. Body is a pleasing brown that is very dense, letting only a little light through around the edges in front of direct light, creating a nice glow of brown surrounded by bright orange. Beer from the bottom of the bottle (after I drank the first glass) was darker, more brown than the first pour. 4.0

S Sweet malt, raspberries and a kick of alcohol (not a surprise I suppose) which reminds me of many of the Belgian Strong Dark Ales that I have encountered, likely thanks to the sweet malt presence contained within. Of course, I really like this smell. 4.5

T Well, this is a potent beer with strong waves of (in order of how I experienced them)
1. alcohol
2. sweet malt goodness
3. a nice, real raspberry taste
4. lingering malt, yeast goodness with a return of alcohol burn
5. distant raspberry taste well after last sip...5 minutes or more...that is a welcomed touch
This is a wild ride of taste explosions in a beer that demands your attention. Exceptional taste. 5.0

M Absolutely huge feel with carbonation that only adds to the bigness of the beer. I tasted/rated 120 Minute IPA last night and its feel was actually too big but the huge mouthfeel of this beer is welcomed as it suits the other tastes better. 4.5

D The drinkability cannot be the highest due to the very high ABV (the highest in its style!) but I finished the bottle within 30 minutes and really enjoyed it. 4.0

Notes: Simply a great beer from Dogfish Head and my favorite among the Theoromba/Sahti/Pangea line of extreme beers from DFH. It would probably be best if this is shared among friends or even with some chocolate truffles or even chocolate covered strawberries. Bravo, bravo!

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours leaving only little head that leaves a small ring in the glass. Color is a mostly clear, rose-copper. Carbonation looks adequate throughout. The smell is faint, like semi-sweet raspberry and strong alcohol. Taste is a nice raspberry flavor that is quite subtle, not too sweet or too tart. Its a bit medicinal, and the alcohol feels strong, but not bad for 18%. Hop flavor is low, or at least dominated by other flavors. It's light bodied, with nice carbonation overall. A nice brew to share with friends, but being so strong I wouldn't recommend drinking alot of it by yourself. After a while it does get harder to drink so just have a small glass and enjoy this unique, strong brew...

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Hmm? I have been searching for this for 4 months. When I finally found the 'holy grail' I have been searching for I paid $20 for one bottle. Hundreds of dollars/time hours later I EXPECTED to be freakin BLOWN AWAY! I was NOT! Does this mean I was disappointed? I don't know. I guess so. Maybe I was only disappointed because of all the hype this beer received as the 'strongest fruit beer in the world’. It was good but I am afraid it did not live up to all that hype.

The beer was an attractive color, but certainly more clear than I expected. It was quite coppery. A careful pour yielded a very small head. The smell was very yeasty. The taste was quite bready, a bit sour/tart, and definitely subtle raspberry. I was expecting more raspberry and less yeast. A bit of the 18% ABV shows through but remarkably little alcohol for the high ABV. So this is a pleasant drinkable beer but for the price and size of it... I was expecting quite a bit more. Bummer!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

This has a been a beer that I have wanted to try for a while, I really do not remember the reason as to why. Poured into a Schlitz goblet at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A two finger head that is ivory in color, creamy and fluffy. The head has really good retention, considering it is a high alcohol brew. The color of the beer is a medium reddish orange color with mahogany tint. The clarity of the beer is clear with a touch of cloudiness. Small carbonation bubble slowly drift from the bottom of the glass. A smart looking beer with a coy smile.

Nose: Surprisingly I smell malts lots of malts, caramel, toast, and biscuit notes. The raspberries come through next offering a fruitiness and sweetness. The alcohol is a supporting actor with an eye on the Oscars. Other aromas in the beer is a slight floral note, yeast, and citrus.

Taste: A big beer with tons of raspberries seeping through the malt and alcohol. The malt is rich complex, toasty, caramel, and biscuit flavor. The raspberries are slightly sweet and fruity. The alcohol stepped up and made the performance of it is life and everybody knows its role. Other flavors is floral, yeast, grass, sour, and citrus.

Mouth feel of the beer is chewy, warm, slight astringent, and carbonated.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium full. This big body beer is fantastic, but not perfect. The Belgium profile gives the beer a unique style, then mix in the raspberries makes it unforgettable. The alcohol is prevalent, but fairly balanced with the other flavor. I am glad that the raspberries did not get lost in this brew. Wish I had one more to age for a few years, would love to make comparison notes.

3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.56/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a bright golden with pinkish hues. Thin white head with a thin foamy lacing clinging to the side of the glass.

S - Sweet pilsner malt, sour/tart raspberry. Malt is more pronounced than raspberry.

T - Sweet malt to start, hint of bittering hops in the middle with a tart raspberry finish. Framboise like but with a stronger hint of alcohol and more malty.

M - Tight little bubbles. Crisp and clean with a medium to full body.

D - Decent fruit beer but not overly impressed. Nicely balanced but a hint of cough syrup.

Poured cloudy amber-red with a short pink head and thick, thick lacing. Lovely red rasberry aroma, malt, and alcohol. Smooth mouthfeel, not sticky, and dry finish. Obvious sweet rasberry taste, but it is tempered by a caramel/earthy malt background. The sweetness did not overwhelm for me as it seemed to for others. However, the 18% alcohol is not masked completely. Some warmth, a fair amount of ethyl, combined giving it a dessert-wine/aperitif feel. Good, but next time will definitely have to share with more than just my brother in law.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery