Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,313 |  Reviews: 569

2.94/5  rDev -21.2%

From the 750ml bottle, this is a slightly reddish copper, with a big, airy head that nearly fills the rest of the wine glass I pour it into. The bouquet is a strong, but not overwhelming, rush of raspberries. The flavor too is dominated by raspberry, but there is also a distinct flavor of alcohol that pushes through in each swig.

I like the restraint of the raspberry flavor--overall this brew isn't too sweet--but I do wish that there were some second element to the flavor profile that gave this brew more variety. Once the raspberry dissipates toward the back of the mouth, the alcohol is all that's left and it's residual metallic taste isn't that pleasant.

This is an ambitious and flawed beer. I wonder if DH will continue to tweak the recipe with any future batches of this...the idea of such a strong fruit beer, with a complex palate is great. Now they've just got to work on the second part of that.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

3.99/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.26/5  rDev -39.4%

Appearance: Clear, reddish color with a thin cap of head that fades quickly to a ring.

Aroma: Medicinal, phenolic, cherry cough syrup and raspberry juice.

Taste: Cough syrup. Very boozy, phenolic, sticky sweet berry juice.

The Rest: This should not be drunk fresh. It is almost unpalatable. Definitely needs to rest quite a while.

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

I generally don't do the fruit beer thing but if DFH jumps in the game I am willing to play. Appearance is a cloudy amber with a big white head. Smell is great,exploding of sweet rasberries and taste mimics the smell. Drinkability is amazingly high as the 18% alcohol is so well hidden its tough to believe till you finish a bottle. If DFH wanted to challenge the malt beverage market they could throw this in 6 packs and take them down quicker than glass joe.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Vintage 06

A: Deep orange-bronze. No head, no lacing. I guess with a beer clocking in at 18%, that can be expected.

S: Huge raspberry blast. It's like putting your nose into a jar of jam, with booze mixed in.

T: Raspberry flavor is unreal, not all that natural tasting. The fruit is there with sugar, but not in the cloying sense. The booziness to it probably died down, but still fairly strong.

M: Medium body, for such a big beer. A touch syrupy at time, minimal alcohol burn, considering the ABV.

O/D: Certainly an interesting beer. It's a fruit beer, almost drinks like a cocktail. Not something I'd try again, but it was so unique, I'm glad I had it. Can't really recommend it, unless you want big time fruity sweetness.

2.57/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

3.85/5  rDev +3.2%

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%

Happy new year. Had paired with raspberry crème Brule at the DFH New Years Eve dinner.

Served an impressive deep red color with a hint of purple, well, like raspberries. No head, minimal carbonation. Smell is of raspberry (imagine that) a hint of cherry(?) and a bit of vodka.

Taste is solvent like alcohol and raspberries. The alcohol burn is distracting and takes away from the full enjoyment of the beer. Aftertaste is more of the same. I got used to the alcohol burn towards the end. Went well with the desert!

Fresh from the tap? I recommend skipping that and buying a bottle to age for a year or two (or more…). If it settles down with time, this could be great. As is right now, it was still OK.

Hard to rate, because of contrasting likes and dislikes in the catagories. For example, the taste of raspberry was awesome, 4.5, but the solvent alcohol was a 2 at most.

Note that his is a draft review. I have herd that the bottles are good right now… they don’t have nearly the solvent quality that the draft version has. I will update my review after cracking a bottle.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours out a murky brown clay color. No head and no lacing at all.

S - Semi sweet and mostly tart raspberries. Some vinegar makes it way through along with some caramel and tons of booze. Smells wonderful.

T - Tart, sour and surprisingly pretty sweet through the middle. Sour raspberries are what this beer is mainly about. Plus tons of booze. I rate this as an experimental brew.

M - Thick and syrup like with almost absent carbonation. Guess it works out alright.

O - I could see myself going after this one again. Though I didn't rate it high I think it would be a good conversation piece with guest or at a party. Not complex by any means but damn tasty.

2.93/5  rDev -21.4%

This was a little too extreme fruit beer, and I heard a lot of hype from my friend about it which disappointed me a little. Pours a sunset red/orange color. Smells of raspberries soaked in grain alcohol. Tastes pretty much the same but not an imitation raspberry taste, instead a genuine ripe taste. Alcohol burned my throat the whole way down, a little unpleasent.

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been excited about this beer for awhile now, my brother picked up a bottle tonight and I must say it was worth the wait. The pours off reddish orange with white lacing. Smell really gets you with an intense aroma of raspberry in your face. Taste is a complicated matter consisting of a tiny hint of malt and a whole lot of raspberry. The beer has a pleasant feeling of alcohol burn ( with this much alcohol it'd be hard not to) and a finish not unlike raspberry sorbet. After reading alot of reviews that say this beer isn't raspberry enough, I have to say do you want beer, if not why not just get raspberry juice cause this is a pleasant extremely drinkable beer.

3.99/5  rDev +7%

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Look: Dark burnt orange with some ruby/ pink highlights topped off with a 1 finger white foamy head that quickly fades into a ring around the glass.

Smell: Juicy raspberries dominate the nose, alcohol is present.

Taste / Mouthfeel: Sweet raspberries, very juicy upfront followed by pungent warming alcohol, somewhat spicy in the finish. Mouth feel is clean and medium bodied.

Overall: Solid, a good brew to share with friends. I'd like to cellar a couple of these and see if the alcohol calms down a little bit.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Beer was a strawberry red color, with a small, one-finger head. Light carbonation and no lacing around the glass.

Aroma was apple, raspberries, cereal grains and bread.

Taste was sweet raspberries, caramel, bread, wood and faint hops.

I'd like to try this beer with a little age on it. The alcohol is a slap in the face. Very boozy and almost overwhelming at first. Still, nice fruit flavor and syrupy mouthfeel.

Fort | 750 ml. | 18% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Delaware
Style: Fruit Beer
Glass: Wine glass

I quite like the label art: lotsa raspberries! It's not got a cork but a cap instead. Interesting.

Sunset colors: orange, grapefruit pink, and hazy peach. White foam and wispy lace.

Smells very strongly of fermenting raspberries.

Lively carbonation is followed by an almost cloyingly sweet tsunami of intense raspberry-flavoured liquid. The sweet raspberries thankfully become a bit more tart as the sip wears on. Alcohol is prominent throughout -- making the brew hard to manage as the temperature rises.

Great carbonation. Medium bodied. Major alc burn.

I actually think DFH should have lowered the ABV drastically on this one. The sweet/tart raspberry flavor is quite interesting by itself. The high alc, sort of intrudes on that experience -- forcing me to take sips when I would have preferred to experience more of the flavor. I probably won't get it again, though it was definitely worth sampling.

Bottled on: ?