Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Ratings: 1,293 |  Reviews: 562
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 25.6 oz bottle into a snifter

A: A pink-orange color with a light tan head of one finger. The head fades fairly quickly, leaving mild lacing.

S: The smell consists strongly of tart raspberries. There is a small bit of malt as well. As it warms, a slight vinous character comes through.

T: The taste is more balanced than the smell. The raspberry sweetness is complemented by a moderate malt flavor. The beer comes very close to being cloyingly sweet but manages to just avoid that thanks to the tartness of the berries and the high alcohol content. As the beer warms, there are notes of caramel and toffee.

M: Fairly thin thanks to the high alcohol content and a little sticky due to the sweetness. Carbonation is mild.

O: An interesting brew. When I started drinking it, it reminded me distinctly of cherry cough syrup, but thankfully as it warmed, that flavor went away. The resulting raspberry flavor is unique and well executed.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.9/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev +9.8%

Reviewed from notes, a dead computer had forced me to put pen to paper, how nostalgic.

Split with Gf, she purchased this on a whim as she has developed a taste for dfh aprihop and festina peche. Poured from a capped 750ml bottle into an oversized wine goblet. Bottled 7/10/07. Firm pour yields 2 finger off white head. Brief head retention and minimal lace. Color is very cloudy, murky orange with a little sediment as my half was poured last.

Nose-As to be expected loads of fermented rasberry, alcohol, and a sticky syrupy sweet undertone.

Taste- Remincient of a lambic only much, much bigger and sweeter with less carbonation. Very thick, viscous, and syrupy. Lightly tart Rasberry. Hot, somewhat cloying caramel and tart rasberry sour. Long finish, really stays with you.

Mouthfeel is cloying and thick.

Drinkability- Not so much. Too thick and cloying, long sour finish is too much for me.

1.83/5  rDev -50.3%

I had pretty high hopes when I picked up a bottle of this because I have a big appreciation for bold flavors and for beers that try to tame in high ABVs. Not to mention, I've mostly had great experiences with DFH. I'm sorry to say it was a major disappointment and the first drainpour I've ever done with a beer from a well-respected brewery of the likes of DFH, and one of the very few I've ever done.

Smells and tastes like someone melted pounds of raspberry and blackberry candy into a vat of vodka. It's as though they tried to at least hide the alcohol by going over the top in sweetness but instead you get double punched by both over the top sweetness and over the top heat. I'm someone who can really enjoy a sweet beer and loves, for example, dessert stouts, but this is the type of sweetness you'd expect from a smirnoff ice special release, not a DFH special release. I honestly thought of mixing this beer with water to make it bearable so I wouldn't have to drainpour it. I don't know what to say, pure sweetness and pure alcohol that do nothing to mitigate one another and fight in your mouth in the most unpleasant battle ever. The only reason I don't give this an F is because I'm open to the possibility that there must be some niche out there that loves both syrup and vodka and would find some comfort in this beer. For anyone who enjoys well-managed flavors and complexity, this beer is an easy avoid.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a cloudy amber, with hints of darker reds. Head is wispy and hugs the sides of the glasses.

Smell is fruity sweet, and slight alcoholic warmth hits the nostrils.

Taste is very fruity. Raspberries dominate the palate, while alcohol burn climbs as you drink. Hops are strong but accent the spice brought on by the ABV.

The sweetness gets sticky after a while and begins to take away from the complexity of the taste. Not an easy one to quaff, but tasty nonetheless.

4.09/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

A : Pours a cloudy brownish, orangeish, amber color with a thin offwhite head that fades away pretty quickly

S : Tart raspberries with a hint of alcohol

T : You can definitely taste the raspberries. They provide a nice tart and sweet taste to the beer. The alcohol sneaks in behind it and comes on strong

M : Full bodied with good carbonation

D : You better share this bottle with the high alcohol content. One I would buy again but not that often. The cost affects that.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%

Aged a year, and sampled with friends. Pours a pale golden color, head does not last long. Smells overwhelmingly of raspberries. I mean slams you over the head with raspberries. Tastes of boozy, bittersweet raspberry puree, and sweetened syrup. I get no hops and little malt or yeast. Even still, it does not taste bad. The drawback is its syrupy mouthfeel and combine that with the sweetness and 18% ABV makes this a connoisseurs beer.

1 pint 9.6 fl. oz. in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color, very hazy.

S - Very strong raspberry smell. Overpowers everything else.

T - Very strong raspberry flavor and very sweet. Very strong alcohol flavor. The bottle was dated 2009 so it is 2 years old and probably around 17% ABV.

M - Very full bodied but also very sweet.

D - I couldn't drink it. It was way too sweet for me. My wife loved it but i couldn't drink it.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

drank on 6.14.08 with bro in law jason. sse.

great looking beer. nice brown color with reddish tints. a little light on the head however. the smell was slightly dissapointing, just expected more from what I come to expect from DFH. of course there was a fruit smell, just thought it would have more ooomph to the smell. the taste made up for the lack of smell. the nice part about the taste was its subtlety in its fruit delivery, very nicely done.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.01/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a slightly hazy amber. Has some initial head which is suprising for the high abv. Leaves some lace.

Smell pops you in the face! Tart raspberries and sweet fruit as well. Some noticable alcohol and a hint of brown sugar.

Taste is good. Of course raspberries, but not overwhelming. Heat and fruit are intertwined in a dance to the death.

Overall, an interesting beer. If you like fruit and monster abv then you will love this beer. This is the brew that exemplifies the "Extreme Beer" movement.

3.67/5  rDev -0.3%

poured the color of a dried apricot with a fizzy head that disappeared about a quickly as it formed.

Raspberries noticable but nowhere near as sweet or fruit forward as I had imagined. for some reason I thought there was going to be a raspberry puree vibe to the nose. That said it's still a nice nose.

Taste is pretty monochromatic. Obviously raspberry, but it tastes like raspberry flavor dumped into a barley wine. Not all I had hoped for but not awful.

A bit slick in the mouth, thinish body with a dry finish.

Woah watch out for this one ,it'll put you down quick if you're not careful

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

Since this beer is illegal in my state (NC), I couldn't resist the opportunity to pick up a bottle while visiting the excellent Grape & Gourmet in Virginia Beach. It was bottled in November of '06, and delivered via a 750ml bottled with a simple cap. I was hesitant to serve it, knowing it may be the only one I get to sample, but we popped it open on the third cool evening of September while cooking burgers on the back porch. I was very surprised by my discovery!

How does one go about reviewing such an interesting product? Is it possible to compare it to anything else? Do the above numbers mean anything?

I had no idea what to expect; I just know that Dogfish Head is the first brewery I openly embraced, since their products are so readily available in North Carolina. I'll try anything they produce at least once! The first glass was poured into a Dogfish ergonomic pint glass, and the off-white head that appeared was moderately impressive; it stuck around for the first 30 minutes. The aroma is intense: there's a very strong scent of raspberries (duh!), along with solvent alcohol and a bit of floral hops. Taking too long a smell can burn your nose!

The flavor is strong on raspberry, without being too sweet. (It's on the verge of syrupy.) A delightful hoppy bitterness converges with the fruit at the finish, providing a beer lover's dream of sweet fruit, malts, and piney hops. It truly is a marriage of the best of all three elements.

I found the alcohol to be almost overwhelming, but, to be frank, I didn't mind. The carbonation is just right. This brew must be tasted across the temperature spectrum to be fully appreciated. I paired it with fudge brownie and vanilla ice cream at the close of my burger meal. There couldn't have been a better choice.

3.62/5  rDev -1.6%

Fort pours a reddish-peach color, capped by a thin white head and a wall of lace. Was totally surprised by the nail polish & alcohol aromas bursting from the glass, we were not expecting Fort to weigh in at 18% ABV, slight hints of raspberry linger in the nose. The first sip made arm hair stand on end, with a strong alcohol burn lingering in the finish, but with the next sip the sweet and tart raspberry flavors cut through the alcohol and make the brew much ore palatable and enjoyable. Medium bodied, Fort also features a moderate amount of carbonation. BIG and Bold, Fort was more then we expected, yet enjoyable all the same. Definitely an Off-Centered Ale for Off-Centered People!

Cheers!