Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,313 |  Reviews: 569

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours a clear amber color with minimal head and no lacing

Smells like alcohol and medicinal raspberries. Slight grain scents come out as it warms, but it smells very medicinal.

Tastes of grain and raspberries. No progression except alcohol really comes out on the finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin considering the alcohol.

Overall, this is not good at all. It is overly medicinal and just not good to drink...thank god I'm sharing this bottle

2.69/5  rDev -27.9%

This brew was poured from a 750 ml bottle. Poured a reddish hue with about 2 inches of thick head. Strong scents of paint thinner or solvent. Thick alcohol flavor along with nail polish remover. Very little if any raspberry flavor. No fruit flavors to speak of. Mouthfeel is heavy. Drinkable nature is very limited.

3.4/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

1 pint, bottled 2009

Pours a hazy cloudy grapefruit orange with no head to speak of...
The nose is strong alcohol (warning: DFH high ABV green cap!!), berries. The sip reveals a strong raspberrie flavour which warms quickly, an alcoholic blast at the front quickly hides and the finish lingers with more berry taste. Medium bodied, slight chewiness to the brew. Drinkability is going to be slightly low on this big bomber of a DFH brew. I agree it would age nicely as the bottle says, perhaps cutting the alcohol taste a bit. This'll be my beer for the night, share it if you have the company.

3.71/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 at cellar temperature into a tulip glass. Been looking forward to tasting this one for awhile. Glad to have scored it at Gary's in Madison NJ.

A-Deep peachy amber with a white head that settles rapidly to nothingness. A pleasing looking brew that would be greatly enhanced by some foam on top.

S-Omigod! This smells more like industrial cleaner than something I want to put inside by body. Very chemical and solvent odors are wafting out of my tulip. Somewhere in the background is a fruitiness that I'm not sure I can place, but this is not pleasing. (This was my initial impression, which I am revising mid-review as I revisit the nose in the context of the taste...do not judge this book by its cover (or smell). I originally gave the nose a 1.5, but that would be unfair to this brew. The nose still does not do it justice.

T-What a surprise! This redeems in the taste in a big way. Sweet succulent red raspberry is delivered by strong warming alcohol in a velvet creaminess that is just lovely. Astringent hop and alcohol buzz on the back end and a finish that lasts forever. This is another offering that begs the question..."is this beer?" Don't know what it is, but I like it.

M-Well balanced medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

D-I'm lovin' it, but this is a big beer in a big bottle. Dudes at DFH, please put this in a 12 oz bottle like the 120!

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer was bottled in 2008 with all aspects of being consumed at a later date that time is now 12/22/09. It boast a heavy dose of raspberry puree mixed with smooth wheat like complexes.

A- This beer shows a very confident pour of medium orange tainted fluid with light off white head that foams around the rim of the glass. Beautiful structure makes this one very inviting.

S- Fresh raspberries, slices of oranges, lemons and mild tart sweetness scents. Overall it is a wild berry scent with natural fruit tendencies. Major alcohol fumes burn the nose.

T-M- Very quick flavor of raw raspberries with a bitterness that makes you pucker your lips in sour sweetness. Nice consistancy of alcohol warmth is apparent. Mouthfeel is acidic and tartic with little carbonation to allow this big beer to go down. Different. Like a fine red wine i'd share it.

D- Drink when you get the chance but a wonderful beer to try to expand you horizons.

3.74/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into snifter. 2010 batch.

Pours a murky gold/amber with some reddish highlights, short head dissipates fairly quickly to average lace.

On the nose is big fruit: raspberry, peach, fig dominate with a hint of malts and caramel, maybe some honey. Pretty complex but rather marred by a streak of aggressive alcohol.

On the palate the raspberry is very noticeable and well balanced with the malts and mild hops. There is a bit of spice, honey, and raspberry jam with a slight dusting of cocoa.

Pretty full bodied but the alcohol definitely comes through. Acidity is low, as is bitterness. Medium to long finish.

This reminds me more of a cordial than a beer. The alcohol is high, and is noticeable, but it still doesn't come off as 18%. If you are familiar with raspberry dessert wine (like Bonny Doon Framboise) then you kind of know what to expect here.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

This is my first beer review so take it for what you will.
I guess up to this point I may not have felt that I could judge beers like many on here do due to the lack of overall sensory observations that many of the people on here have.
My review of DFH Port is overall good.
This beer has a good overall smell. Fruity and alcohol overall. I did not realize until looking on BA that this is an 18% beer.
On an average night I might drink 3-4 beers and the DFH Port started giving me that "buzzed" feeling after the first pint glass which seemed "strange" to me.
The taste is very complex and full of fruits Raspberry being the main flavor, alcohol and other flavors. The first sip was good and My thoughts were that I'd drink this on special occasions but never as a session beer.
Mouthfeel was very good with a good amount of carbonation to it and yet a smooth feel overall.
Drinkability is decent. Depending on the complexity you are used to.
Overall I'd rank this a "Special Occasion" beer. It works very well in the "Buzz" department and is good overall. I may buy a bomber of this to put back to age in the future. for one of my first DFH beers I'm overall impressed!

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Murky orange color poured from the bottle. Beautiful raspberry alcohol smell. Smells like real raspberries though. Tastes like it smells. Tons of raspberry, and no hiding of the ABV in this bad boy. But it works. I think it works because even with the major alcohol taste, theres that much raspberry to balance it out, all while tasting like a beer still. Not overly sweet. Mouthfeel is medium. Nicely carbonated. I'm so bummed that my state no longer gets dogfish head (yet again dogfish head, PLEASE COME BACK TO US!), but this can still be found here and there around the state and it is something I will drive out of my way to find while I can get it.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

Appearance: Nice rich deep golden color with some hints of read and a great white foamy head.
Smell: Very rich seedy sweet raspberry jam aroma with a hint of hops.
Taste: Very rich raspberry flavor with a slight bitterness from the alcohol and the seediness of the raspberries.
Mouthfeel/overall: The alcohol and sweetness are very overpowering but I can see the advantage of aging this beer.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 25.6 oz bottle into a snifter

A: A pink-orange color with a light tan head of one finger. The head fades fairly quickly, leaving mild lacing.

S: The smell consists strongly of tart raspberries. There is a small bit of malt as well. As it warms, a slight vinous character comes through.

T: The taste is more balanced than the smell. The raspberry sweetness is complemented by a moderate malt flavor. The beer comes very close to being cloyingly sweet but manages to just avoid that thanks to the tartness of the berries and the high alcohol content. As the beer warms, there are notes of caramel and toffee.

M: Fairly thin thanks to the high alcohol content and a little sticky due to the sweetness. Carbonation is mild.

O: An interesting brew. When I started drinking it, it reminded me distinctly of cherry cough syrup, but thankfully as it warmed, that flavor went away. The resulting raspberry flavor is unique and well executed.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev +8.3%

Reviewed from notes, a dead computer had forced me to put pen to paper, how nostalgic.

Split with Gf, she purchased this on a whim as she has developed a taste for dfh aprihop and festina peche. Poured from a capped 750ml bottle into an oversized wine goblet. Bottled 7/10/07. Firm pour yields 2 finger off white head. Brief head retention and minimal lace. Color is very cloudy, murky orange with a little sediment as my half was poured last.

Nose-As to be expected loads of fermented rasberry, alcohol, and a sticky syrupy sweet undertone.

Taste- Remincient of a lambic only much, much bigger and sweeter with less carbonation. Very thick, viscous, and syrupy. Lightly tart Rasberry. Hot, somewhat cloying caramel and tart rasberry sour. Long finish, really stays with you.

Mouthfeel is cloying and thick.

Drinkability- Not so much. Too thick and cloying, long sour finish is too much for me.

1.83/5  rDev -50.9%

I had pretty high hopes when I picked up a bottle of this because I have a big appreciation for bold flavors and for beers that try to tame in high ABVs. Not to mention, I've mostly had great experiences with DFH. I'm sorry to say it was a major disappointment and the first drainpour I've ever done with a beer from a well-respected brewery of the likes of DFH, and one of the very few I've ever done.

Smells and tastes like someone melted pounds of raspberry and blackberry candy into a vat of vodka. It's as though they tried to at least hide the alcohol by going over the top in sweetness but instead you get double punched by both over the top sweetness and over the top heat. I'm someone who can really enjoy a sweet beer and loves, for example, dessert stouts, but this is the type of sweetness you'd expect from a smirnoff ice special release, not a DFH special release. I honestly thought of mixing this beer with water to make it bearable so I wouldn't have to drainpour it. I don't know what to say, pure sweetness and pure alcohol that do nothing to mitigate one another and fight in your mouth in the most unpleasant battle ever. The only reason I don't give this an F is because I'm open to the possibility that there must be some niche out there that loves both syrup and vodka and would find some comfort in this beer. For anyone who enjoys well-managed flavors and complexity, this beer is an easy avoid.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a cloudy amber, with hints of darker reds. Head is wispy and hugs the sides of the glasses.

Smell is fruity sweet, and slight alcoholic warmth hits the nostrils.

Taste is very fruity. Raspberries dominate the palate, while alcohol burn climbs as you drink. Hops are strong but accent the spice brought on by the ABV.

The sweetness gets sticky after a while and begins to take away from the complexity of the taste. Not an easy one to quaff, but tasty nonetheless.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery