Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,313 |  Reviews: 569
4.09/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

A : Pours a cloudy brownish, orangeish, amber color with a thin offwhite head that fades away pretty quickly

S : Tart raspberries with a hint of alcohol

T : You can definitely taste the raspberries. They provide a nice tart and sweet taste to the beer. The alcohol sneaks in behind it and comes on strong

M : Full bodied with good carbonation

D : You better share this bottle with the high alcohol content. One I would buy again but not that often. The cost affects that.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Aged a year, and sampled with friends. Pours a pale golden color, head does not last long. Smells overwhelmingly of raspberries. I mean slams you over the head with raspberries. Tastes of boozy, bittersweet raspberry puree, and sweetened syrup. I get no hops and little malt or yeast. Even still, it does not taste bad. The drawback is its syrupy mouthfeel and combine that with the sweetness and 18% ABV makes this a connoisseurs beer.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

1 pint 9.6 fl. oz. in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color, very hazy.

S - Very strong raspberry smell. Overpowers everything else.

T - Very strong raspberry flavor and very sweet. Very strong alcohol flavor. The bottle was dated 2009 so it is 2 years old and probably around 17% ABV.

M - Very full bodied but also very sweet.

D - I couldn't drink it. It was way too sweet for me. My wife loved it but i couldn't drink it.

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

drank on 6.14.08 with bro in law jason. sse.

great looking beer. nice brown color with reddish tints. a little light on the head however. the smell was slightly dissapointing, just expected more from what I come to expect from DFH. of course there was a fruit smell, just thought it would have more ooomph to the smell. the taste made up for the lack of smell. the nice part about the taste was its subtlety in its fruit delivery, very nicely done.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

4.01/5  rDev +7.5%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a slightly hazy amber. Has some initial head which is suprising for the high abv. Leaves some lace.

Smell pops you in the face! Tart raspberries and sweet fruit as well. Some noticable alcohol and a hint of brown sugar.

Taste is good. Of course raspberries, but not overwhelming. Heat and fruit are intertwined in a dance to the death.

Overall, an interesting beer. If you like fruit and monster abv then you will love this beer. This is the brew that exemplifies the "Extreme Beer" movement.

3.67/5  rDev -1.6%

poured the color of a dried apricot with a fizzy head that disappeared about a quickly as it formed.

Raspberries noticable but nowhere near as sweet or fruit forward as I had imagined. for some reason I thought there was going to be a raspberry puree vibe to the nose. That said it's still a nice nose.

Taste is pretty monochromatic. Obviously raspberry, but it tastes like raspberry flavor dumped into a barley wine. Not all I had hoped for but not awful.

A bit slick in the mouth, thinish body with a dry finish.

Woah watch out for this one ,it'll put you down quick if you're not careful

4.22/5  rDev +13.1%

Since this beer is illegal in my state (NC), I couldn't resist the opportunity to pick up a bottle while visiting the excellent Grape & Gourmet in Virginia Beach. It was bottled in November of '06, and delivered via a 750ml bottled with a simple cap. I was hesitant to serve it, knowing it may be the only one I get to sample, but we popped it open on the third cool evening of September while cooking burgers on the back porch. I was very surprised by my discovery!

How does one go about reviewing such an interesting product? Is it possible to compare it to anything else? Do the above numbers mean anything?

I had no idea what to expect; I just know that Dogfish Head is the first brewery I openly embraced, since their products are so readily available in North Carolina. I'll try anything they produce at least once! The first glass was poured into a Dogfish ergonomic pint glass, and the off-white head that appeared was moderately impressive; it stuck around for the first 30 minutes. The aroma is intense: there's a very strong scent of raspberries (duh!), along with solvent alcohol and a bit of floral hops. Taking too long a smell can burn your nose!

The flavor is strong on raspberry, without being too sweet. (It's on the verge of syrupy.) A delightful hoppy bitterness converges with the fruit at the finish, providing a beer lover's dream of sweet fruit, malts, and piney hops. It truly is a marriage of the best of all three elements.

I found the alcohol to be almost overwhelming, but, to be frank, I didn't mind. The carbonation is just right. This brew must be tasted across the temperature spectrum to be fully appreciated. I paired it with fudge brownie and vanilla ice cream at the close of my burger meal. There couldn't have been a better choice.

3.62/5  rDev -2.9%

Fort pours a reddish-peach color, capped by a thin white head and a wall of lace. Was totally surprised by the nail polish & alcohol aromas bursting from the glass, we were not expecting Fort to weigh in at 18% ABV, slight hints of raspberry linger in the nose. The first sip made arm hair stand on end, with a strong alcohol burn lingering in the finish, but with the next sip the sweet and tart raspberry flavors cut through the alcohol and make the brew much ore palatable and enjoyable. Medium bodied, Fort also features a moderate amount of carbonation. BIG and Bold, Fort was more then we expected, yet enjoyable all the same. Definitely an Off-Centered Ale for Off-Centered People!

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.91/5  rDev +4.8%

Today I am going with a new glass that I picked up while I was on vacation last week in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This elegant beauty is from Stone and was designed for their “Vertical Epic” series which is going to be a true test of time. As I popped the large bottle open there was just a faint hiss coming from the neck, nothing really earth shattering. On the pour I wasn’t sure how to tackle this one so I went straight on and noticed that it began to foam quite hard, I backed off and the head seemed to dissipate instantly. When I was done there was no head to mention of and no bubbles floating around anywhere. As I hold my glass up to the light it appears as a really rusty and murky brown color that resembles pond water. There is a lot of pectin haze going on here, probably from the fruit. It leaves me with a opaque liquid that isn’t chunky from yeast, just hazy. On the viscosity check I gave a nice healthy swirl around my glass and noticed there was a fair amount of legs, but not what you might think in terms of this high ABV.

This not-so-pretty ale delivers a huge knuckle sandwich of raspberries and deep burnt sugar aromas up front. Lots of heat alcohol on the nose even after being cellared for almost three years, with sharp vapors that tingle your nose hairs. Vaguely I am pulling out some raisin and toffee undertones as the chalice warms up, with a touch of cinnamon. In the finish more berry like flavors that range from blueberries to cherries.

As in the initial waft from the nose, the raspberries take front and center stage here. Gobs of sticky sweetness and berries that are just running amok in my mouth and I love it! Carmel and toffee certainly are right around the corner and balance all the fruit out nicely. As you take the initial swallow the heat alcohol grabs your throat and doesn’t want to let go, it is hot and fumy, but in a strange way it makes all these flavors mesh perfectly. This has a long lingering raspberry finish that is lip smacking delicious and after awhile you don’t even notice the 18% ABV. This beer is smooth sailing all the way to the end of the glass.

Ahhh what can I say, you all know I love Dogfish Head so maybe I am biased. But this is probably one of my favorite examples of a well made fruit beer. Let it be said that if you open a bottle of this, it is going to be a long evening. So maybe you might want to grab a few friends for this one. The drinkability is low in the fact that the ABV is so high but on the scale of flavor and complexity I’d rate it pretty high. If you see this seasonal from these guys, grab a bottle or ten and put some away for later to see how they develop. Fort should be pretty accessible to most states and reasonably priced so I give it a big thumbs up in value

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

750ml bottled on 1/13/06

Whoa! I had heard and read about this beer before and thought I had nailed down what to expect from it...fortunately, I was wrong.

Pours a hazy red color with slight orange accents coming through. It has a nice head at first but it quickly resides leaving no lace (due to the high abv). The smells is wayyy more pungent that I had expected...smells intensely of raspberries - almost like a jar of raspberry jam...nevertheless, wonderful!

The taste is amazing...obviously raspberries...but other sweet, tart fruits appear as well; orange, lemon and cherries. Malt and yeast flavors appear towards the finish. Hardly any notice of the high ABV. There are no hidden flavors here.

The mix of Fort's full body and light carbonation make a great combination.

Overall great beer...highly recommend giving it some time to age.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.47/5  rDev -7%

Upon opening the bottle, the aroma of raspberries is clearly evident. Poured into champagne glasses - it looks pink/red in color with a nice foamy head that dissipates fairly quickly. Initial taste is raspberries - sweet and fruity. However, due to the large alcohol content, it finishes dry with some alcohol burn. This was fine for me, but my wife was not fond of the finish. Once it sits for a while, it becomes sweeter and a little easier on finish. I would call this a "gimmick" beer, but it works. I would definitely try it again.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

$9 per snifter, on tap now at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Maryland.

Vibrant reddish hue with no head.

This is the best way I can describe this beer: It starts off tasting/feeling like a raspberry lambic, then halfway through (as you start to swallow) the taste/feel changes to more of a raspberry-flavored wheat beer, and then on the finish, it takes on the syrupy sweet strong-alcohol characteristics of Dogfish's World wide stout, or 120 min IPA. Nice and complex, this beer definitely works in stages.

At 18% alcohol, this beer goes down suprisingly smooth. I suppose most people couldnt have more than 1 glass, but this is a great dessert beer for sipping after your meal, which is what I did.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours thick, almost syrupy and is kind of a dull umber color. Slightly less than a 1/4 inch beige head, with average retention, settling into minimal lace.

Lots of sweet malt, certainly rasberries, and alcohol in the nose.

Flavor is thick and malty, with rasberries throughout. No real obvious hop presence, it's pretty much thick sweet malt & rasberries, with a hint of alcohol in the finish.

Medium to full body, with moderate carbonation. Thick, syrupy, and coating. Rasberries add to the flavor, rather than dominating it which is a positive. Alcohol provides noticeable warming, but overall the alcohol is hidden pretty well.

Certainly not sessionable, but a nice twist on a strong ale. I would definately drink this again.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%