Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,309 |  Reviews: 568

4.9/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +29.2%

A: Pours a crisp rose color with a decent white head that goes quickly.

S: Insanely like raspberry, as if they are being crammed into my olfactory. Extremely sweet and a little essence of pale malt extract with a waft of alcohol.

T: Rich creamy and so much raspberry goodness it is almost overwhelming. It has so much raspberry depth, nothing like any other fruit beer I have ever had. It does not contain that fake sugary fruit essence, or a thin I can almost imagine it flavor. The alcohol is almost covered for such a strong beer, but as it warms it does start to creep up. The tartness of the raspberry's does get covered up by bozzyness as it warms too.

M:Thick, heavy, creamy, and it sticks making your tongue beg for more tart raspberry.

D: Extremely drinkable for an 18% brew, would be hard to drink more than one though.

4.82/5  rDev +29.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle. Awesome artwork. Think I might get one of their shirts from the website.

Appearance- Pours a spritzy head with minor retention. Color reminded me of when T took a cherry Juicy Juice box and poured it into a glass. Color is a light rose and amber. With some consistant lacing.

Smell- An inspiring mix of alcohol, rasberries, hints of wheat, and sugary candy.

Taste- Starts out as rasberry juice that proceeds into a more sugary rasberry flavor. I found it amazing I could taste the FRESH, REAL rasberries in this beer. The rasberry flavor was not cloying at all. The suagry rasberry then mixed with the alcohol to give it some very comfortable warmth. The finish was a mix of fresh rasberries eaten straight from the basket, sugared rasberries, wheat, bananas, and of course alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Pretty good carbonation that enhanced the subdued sweetness of the rasberries, but helped to bring out the wheat used in this beer. Just spectacular.

I've had two bottles of this so far, this is a reveiew of my second bottle drank. The first was with my girlfriend (who is not a big beer drinker period, but she humored with this one) who thought it was stupendous. When I shared my second bottle with my friend, he thought it was a real treat. Further proof that he really enjoyed it, is that he drank a wine glass full over the course of 45 minutes. This is a rarity with my ber guzzling buddy. Who has drank a lot of my other craft beers a little quicker than I would've liked. But this beer seemed to grow on me more and moe with each sip from each bottle. Hands down, my favorite fruit beer thus far.

P.S. I have one bottle I'm gonna forget about for awhile and report on the results.

4.8/5  rDev +28.7%

2008 Vintage

Split 4 ways, poured into a claret.

Appearance-A vibrant goldish color. Very hazy, can't see a damn thing through it. Little head, an off white one. You can just see the sticky beer clinging to the glass when swirling it.

Smell-Aroma was amazing. Just sweet ripe raspberries. It's boozy, but nothing like WWS or 120, and I was expecting a boozy mess. Only other aroma I get is a honey like sweetness, but boy this smells inviting.

Taste-Oustanding. Just can't believe how much this beer worked. Just a crazy amount of fresh raspberries in every sip. Upfront and towards the finish, and it didn't get old. Finish was on the dryer side that made me want to keep sipping. You can really feel the alcohol running through your veins, but not so much when consuming it. I drank this at about 45 degrees i'd guess, and when it warmed the booze definitely came out more, but so did a little more complexity. Sweet honey and a good amount of caramel and toffee notes came out too. Just oustanding all the way around.

Mouthfeel-Creamy, nice carbonation. Big mouthfeel, thick and chewy.

Overall-What else can I say. I really had to find the time to drink this. Obviously your not going to drink this all to yourself, although I probably could throughout a course of a day after trying it, and loving it. I honestly was expecting a sloppy mess even w/ the 3 years of age but it was just oustanding. Shocked by all the negative reviews on this one, I want more, and I'm already working on it. Amazing.

2007 vintage:

Appearance: A dark rosy red, much like a cider
Smell: A basket of rasberries, salmonberries and a hint of pear
Taste: Covered a wide range of flavors, starting from sweet and ending in sour. This bottle is less fruity than a younger bottle that I've had, and has become far more complex over time.
Mouthfeel: Not much retention, but felt like a young scotch at times
Overal: I would highly recommend this beer, great as an after dinner drink with some friends. If you see if, pick up 2 bottles: one for now, the other for later (5-years later)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2015 edition. 12 oz bottle. It's been a few years since I've had this beer. I picked up two 4-packs for $34.99 each. Expensive , yes but considering it's 15-18% I'm only drinking one over a 2 hour span.

Nice reddish, deep color with a fruity aroma. The taste is very complex. Tons of fruit notes from the raspberries but a nice, thick mouthfeel as well. You can't taste the alcohol at all. There is a sweetness to the finish that I really like. I'm gonna drink 4 fresh and cellar the other 4.

Great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I tried this beer for the first time on a release night at a local Dogfish Ale House. Fantastic. I only had one but it was wonderful. This is a sipping beer with sweet mellow raspberry taste. Don't expect strong raspberry however. The strong 18% ABV mellows the fruitiness. A little taste of hops but not over powering. This stuff is truth serum so be careful who you drink it with.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

From the tap sweet and delicious, oh yeah, huge buz!

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a amber brown with a thin head. Not much retention, and a minimum of lacing. Aroma is of sweet fruit, candy and alcohol. Body is on the light side. Taste has hints of raspberry, along with other fruits. You will feel the burn! Very Belgian in style. Excellent.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery