Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,300 |  Reviews: 566

This is the third time I've bought one of these bad boys. Pours from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. Head disappears quickly, leaving behind a dark golden brew. Smells fruity and sweet. Tastes of rasberries and alcohol. Lots of burn on the back of the throat as it goes down, but I like that. Has a thick, cloying sweetness to it, but again, I like that in this beer. Good thing I'm splitting this one with my wife or I might be on the floor afterwards.

A- Dull, hazy orange with a decent bone-white head, maybe an inch high (quite good for an 18% ABV beer, I would say).

S- Huge raspberry aroma, like a framboise on Stanozolol. Lots of alcohol too, as expected, and tons of sweet, cake-like malt backing the fruit. It's reminiscent of a fruitier 120 Minute, actually.

T- Hmm, interesting. I was expecting this to be syrupy sweet, but it's actually quite tart. The raspberries come through very nicely with a big, juicy flavor. I almost expected to be spitting seeds out after taking a sip. The raspberries really dominate the flavor; I actually would prefer a little malt sweetness to balance out the sour raspberry juice. The alcohol is certainly there, but it's quite well-hidden for such an insanely strong brew. The finish is remarkably dry, proving this to be a very well-attenuated beer.

M- I thought this would be syrupy like other very high-ABV beers I've had, but it's really not. The carbonation is quite high and balances out the viscosity, resulting in a nice fizzy medium body.

D- This one is tough to rate. Considering its strength, I would say that this beer is very drinkable. That being said, it's definitely a sipper and one that should be sipped for a long time. Nevertheless, I have to give it a good score here, because I imagine that it will go down faster than any 18% beer I've had before, even if that's not saying a whole lot.

The good folks at Dogfish Head continue to surprise and delight. This beer is not at all what I was expecting (a syrupy-sweet alcohol bomb) and is actually a really nice fruit beer. It's certainly not one I'll be getting again any time soon, as the price is kind of steep (although not bad considering its strength) and it pretty much has to be shared with at least one other person (preferably two or more). Still, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. If you've got the money and the curiosity to try this beer, don't hesitate to get it.

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Opaque dark orange color. Offwhite head fades to a ring. No lacing.

S - Pungent raspberry smell with some light earthy wheat like aromas. Surprisingly little or no alcohol detected on the nose.

T - Starts out with a bitter alcoholic fruity flavor, alcohol comes through slightly metallic. Holding it in for a while yields a thick ruddy raspberry flavor with a dull, faintly burning alcohol. Finish leaves a sharper alcohol burn and some earthy raspberry flavors.

M - Thick consistency with light to medium carbonation.

D - Overall a very interesting brew, definitely a sipper. Not something I'd do very often but it was nice to try.

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Pouring from the beautiful 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute. ¾” head when poured with vigor. Orange/peach color with hints of amber. Head is pure white and lingers for a long time and clings well to the glass to hang around for a while.

S: From a distance, subtle and sweet raspberry scent. When sniffed more closely, lots of alcohol/solvent aroma with the fruity odors. Could easily get drunk off the smell. As it warms, scent becomes more inviting and less alcoholic. Smell evolves greatly until the snozberries smell like snozberries.

T: At first, I can’t pick up much beer flavor past the alcohol. As it warms and I pause to reflect, flavors come alive. Nice malt body, but little-to-no hops. Lots of alcohol-kick as it goes down the hatch. Dry finish with a hint of fruity freshness. The aftertaste of berries lasts for quite some time and makes me want to take another bi gulp as soon as it disappears.

M: Mouthfeel is great for this brew, but a bit unique for a beer in general. Good carbonation that keeps the beer alive.

D: Lots of alcohol, but handled in a stunning fashion. Hard to decide how drinkable this is because there is so much alcohol to palate. I am definitely enjoying drinking this, and I could share this with a friend for a while but not all night. Drinks like a 10-12% beer, not an 18% beer.

Notes: Happy Valentine’s Day to me. Being single for my first V-Day since puberty, I used my money to treat myself. Wonderful drinking experience that all beer drinkers should have. Not as fruity as I expected, but a great beer. Oh Dogfish, you never cease to amaze me.

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%

750ml bottle, served in a Chimay goblet. It pours cloudy golden brown, with a effervescent head that quickly dissolves. The smell hits me before I even get my nose near the class, the carbonation propelling it far & wide. Its full of fruit, raspberries, apricots, red wine and a nuttiness. I like it! The taste is like port wine with a sharp raspberry edge. Lots of caramel and fruit. Very good but it tastes young. I think I'll have to buy another bottle & age it, I'd love to see how the sugars mellow over time. Strong alcohol finish. Wow! I feel that one. The mouthfeel is syrupy but crisp, just velvety smoooth. The drinkability is good but this one needs pairing. Perhaps with a strong cheese or some dark chocolate.

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +8.1%

I decided to have this as an after dinner treat on this very humid night here in Boston. I have had this beer once before, and found that it was way too hot, however this was bottled on 11/13/06, so I figured a few years of age might do this brew some good. Pour is about what I expected: a rose or pink color, with just a hint of heading at the start of the pour. That fades quickly. Raspberry smell is very sharp and lively, and seemingly legitimate too. No artificial smell of raspberries to be found here. Some amount of alcohol can be detected in the nose. Overall, it smells like a really sweet dessert. Taste reminds me of what raspberry wine would taste like if such a thing existed. You can tell that the alcohol has calmed down a bit, but it is still certainly noticeable. The prickly carbonation that is present is just enough to not make this a syrupy brew. This is a perfect choice to pair with dessert, or to sip slowly on its own. It is also one that benefits greatly from some maturing. There are still a few more bottles of this vintage beer sitting on the shelf at a store near me. It may be time for me to purchase the rest of them. Cheers

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2015 bottle. Poured into a small tulip.

Less pink than I expected. smells of raspberries, but not the overwhelming flavor I expected. Hugely booze, big alcohol burn.

I think a couple of years will mellow this nicely.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

Picked this up today. Nice and tart you will taste taste the rasberries. This is a very strong beer. Well worth tasting.

A -nice dark cherry hue with not much carbination.

S - dark cherry

T - alcoholic cherry taste really almost a halls.

M - same as taste really strong.

O - very strong but a really nice brew search it out!

2009 vintage

Approximately peach colored, slightly hazy, some head that lingers as a ring.

Sugar, alcohol, slight berry note.

Sugar and booze (reminiscent of Samichlaus) definite rasperry finish. Quite floral.

Mouthfeel slick, coats the mouth.

I was quite impressed by this, really. High ABV melds with the fruit, very Samichlausesque.

3.98/5  rDev +7.9%

This poured a wonderful orange-pink with medium head and a cloudy body. Left decent lacing on the glass.
The aroma was of sour fruits, sweet fruits, alcohol, sugar and almost no hop presence.
Raspberry in the taste, but not saccharine-y or syrupy. Good sweet/sour fruit taste along with some very mild spice. Also, you tend to notice the alcohol present (although maybe not the fact that its 18%)
The feel was somehwta fizzy from the almost champagne-like carbonation, and that paired with an almost biting tanic feel left the aftertaste more bitter than sweet.
Overall and interesting beer, more biting and bitter than syrupy sweet. But lookout for a noticably high ABV.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery