Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,293 |  Reviews: 562
1.76/5  rDev -52.2%

Dogfish Head Fort

Pours a pinkish brown with a short livid head. Aroma of raspberries and some lofty alcohol. In the taste, bitter raspberry, honey, wheat malt and alcohol. Also has some rotten vegetation notes Sickeningly sweet too, almost as if it were "off". Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, and the alcohol burns. All in all you could not pay me to drink this stuff again. A hot mess, I'd age this and hope for the best maybe time (decades) can smooth it out.

1.83/5  rDev -50.3%

I had pretty high hopes when I picked up a bottle of this because I have a big appreciation for bold flavors and for beers that try to tame in high ABVs. Not to mention, I've mostly had great experiences with DFH. I'm sorry to say it was a major disappointment and the first drainpour I've ever done with a beer from a well-respected brewery of the likes of DFH, and one of the very few I've ever done.

Smells and tastes like someone melted pounds of raspberry and blackberry candy into a vat of vodka. It's as though they tried to at least hide the alcohol by going over the top in sweetness but instead you get double punched by both over the top sweetness and over the top heat. I'm someone who can really enjoy a sweet beer and loves, for example, dessert stouts, but this is the type of sweetness you'd expect from a smirnoff ice special release, not a DFH special release. I honestly thought of mixing this beer with water to make it bearable so I wouldn't have to drainpour it. I don't know what to say, pure sweetness and pure alcohol that do nothing to mitigate one another and fight in your mouth in the most unpleasant battle ever. The only reason I don't give this an F is because I'm open to the possibility that there must be some niche out there that loves both syrup and vodka and would find some comfort in this beer. For anyone who enjoys well-managed flavors and complexity, this beer is an easy avoid.

1.87/5  rDev -49.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Overpoweringly sweet. One dimensional booze bomb that sells for the ABV alone. My first drain pour. Sorry for ranting.

1.89/5  rDev -48.6%

Murky orange, almost amber color with little ring of bubbles that does lace.

Smell is very intense booze. [I had to let this one "breathe" for an hour+ before I could stand to smell and drink it.] Sugary sweetness and whiffs of perfumy dried fruit. Still very hot.

Syrupy sugary thick maltiness reminds me of a Belgian Quad with a dose of cheap fruit wine. Overly sweet and alcoholic, very medicinal impression (cherry cough syrup).

The drinkability on this one is very low. The alcohol even burns the tongue; like you're drinking MD 20/20 from a fancy bottle. This one has got to get better with age because it is pretty much undrinkable now.

1.95/5  rDev -47%

Drank on 12/1/08 bottled on 11/13/06.

I was expecting a lot from this beer, but was severely disappointed.
Granted, I'm not a big fan of fruit beers. I was expecting it to taste, and smell, a lot more like raspberries for the ton it was brewed with.
It came out of the bottle a nice deep red with almost no head, dissipated fast, leaving a tiny ring of foam around the glass.
Smelled very slightly of raspberries,but not in the way I'd like. More dulled and bland then the tart brightness of fresh raspberries, also had the smell of alcohol to be expected.
The taste was not good. Decent maybe, but still an off tasting brew. The raspberries were present but the alcohol flavor pretty much covered them, a chemical taste was present.
The mouthfeel was ok, but you didn't want to keep it in their long.
Very hard to drink. If I hadn't paid for the bottle I would have gladly sent it other places then my stomach. but at the price I really tried to like it.

The second glass is better... but that's because you probably have a nice buzz after the first glass.

2011. I could see it getting better with many more years under its belt.

2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

After about a year of pondering the purchase of this beer, I finally caved and purchased a bottle of 07 this past Friday.

A: Murky brownish amber in color

S: Strangely vegetable-like and slightly sour aroma

T: Akin to a cheap sweetish wine with carbonation, a slight hint of raspberries, not sure where the ton of berries went to, definitely not into my bottle.

Mouthfeel: Average decent body, just not something that I want to keep in my mouth for too long.

Drinkability: I am halfway through my 1st glass and I can certainly feel the alcohol doing its work, unfortunately I cannot get past the peculiar vegetal off-taste of this brew.

I am supremely disappointed in this brew, if it wasn't for the $16 I would send this one along to the town sewer. I guess that I should have bought the Midas Touch.

Cheers

2.11/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.12/5  rDev -42.4%

First let me say that I hate the fact that I am about trash a Dogfish beer - they got me into craft brew but it needs to be done for FORT.

Shared a bottle poured into a Dogfish goblet.

A - Average what one might expect from a fruit beer. Thick, syrupy.

S - Not bad, nice rasberries with alcohol prelude following that should have been a warning.

T - AHHHH!!!! No balance at all. I love barleywine so it had nothing to do with the high alc but this was just a mess. Overwhelming alc with a fake bitter rasberry cough medicine taste. Had flashbacks of having a cold as a young kid and being forced to take medicine.

M - A miserable miserable experience. Actually opened a barleywine to chase this beer.

D - Could not finish. Don't know what went wrong with this beer. I have another in the cellar and will try aging several years as this first one was drunk very young.

2.12/5  rDev -42.4%

A- Pours a dark orange and very hazy. Not too much going on here for the head either.

S- Smells of alcohol for sure and a mixture of raspberries.

T- Alcohol is everywhere and almost insane. A very slight raspberry taste and that is pretty much it.

M- Very thick and syrupy. Fuller side of medium in body and low carbonation.

D- The search continues for a fruit beer I like. No thanks I'll stick with their IPA's for sure next time.

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottled 2008

A-pours a dirty, cloudy, grapefruit juice looking color with a thin off white head that dissipates quickly.

S-the nose is full of raspberries and solvent alcohol, acetone, light rotten vegetable and a hint of spice in the finish. The booze is extremely strong but the vibrant raspberry do their best to mask it in a failing attempt.

T-so much alcohol in this, huge solvent alcohol met with sweet ripe raspberry. bitter rotten vegetables blend with a white peppery spice as the acetone kicks in full gear in the finish. rough malt flavors are muddled underneath the fruit and rubbing alcohol to create a boozy fruity mess.

M-again a messy malt body with a grainy syrupy texture and heavy feel to it. strong carbonation is the highlight with a crisp biting finish to balance the syrupy feel.

D-this is rough stuff, tough to get through a whole bottle. the raspberries are great its the rest of the beer that doesn't work. just too much going on with an unfocused malt presence and overly boozy flavor.

2.16/5  rDev -41.3%

This was not fun to drink. I picked this up at my local bottle shop thinking I would be adventurous. What a nightmare, thank the Lord I had jdkls to help me finish this one off.

The appearance is actually beautiful. A nice lightly red tinted golden color is present, and boy is it clear. Nice clarity, and on top of that is a crisp half finger white head that leaves pretty quick. The alcoholic legs on this were not extreme, but fun to watch slide down the sides of my glass.

The smell is not very strong, but what is there is very straight forward. Sweet red raspberry sweetness paired with 120 Minute ABV sweetness. Thats it.

The taste is very simple. The taste is of faint raspberries with gasoline. I have some advice for you, if you are first drinking this beer, do NOT inhale. This beer actually harms you. The back of my throat and my mouth burned with alcohol and nasty additive flavors. There are not many flavors in this. It reminded me of the worst parts of 120 Minute, burning ethanol and sugar from the malts and raspberries.

The mouthfeel was terrible, like taking shots of 151. Terrible.

I could not of finished the whole bottle, I would of died if I did not have a friend helping me out. I do not understand why this HAD to be 18% ABV. Why!?! Just make it a sessionable 5% and take away all of the burn and make it at least a bit enjoyable. Sugar sweetness and burning sensations made this a very big disappointment.

J

2.17/5  rDev -41%

Bottle date was 7/9/07, almost 4 years old. This is the beer I blame for my terrible hangover the next day.

Pours hazy reddish orange, I imagined it being more pink. Surprising off-white head retains well and leaves some lace.

Ugh. What a scent...honey mustard, mustard seed, oxidation, and light berries. Just...pretty damn bad.

Not quite as bad as the smell, but close. Mustard, raspberries, vodka, caramel. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and I wouldn't call it super boozy, but between all the alcohol and weird flavors I can't even say this is really close to enjoyable.

I had this fresh on-tap once and that was better. Not sure if age is to blame here but this was one wacky, off-putting beer that gave me bad flashbacks the next day.

2.18/5  rDev -40.8%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

2.18/5  rDev -40.8%

A- Dark orange, very hazy, quickly dissipating head.

S- rubbing alcohol with a raspberry hint.

T- painfully alcoholic. slight raspberry taste which became more apparent over the 90 or so minutes it took me to drink this one.

M- Very thick and syrupy. the feel is probably the best thing this beer has going for it.

D- ugh...never again. i forced myself to finish it because i paid so much for it. the idea of buying another one is laughable. i tried this because DFH has some other solid extreme beers. im glad to be able to say ive tried the worlds strongest fruit/vegetable beer, but i bet ill never try it again.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery