Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,293 |  Reviews: 562
3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hzy orange/amber color; some sediment. Poured a 3 finger tan head with good retention to a 1 finger cap. Lazily decanted. No lacing.

S: Rasberries and alcohol with a bit of a wild ale note; thats about it.

T: Rasberries with almost a sweet grape wine flavor. Earthy malt and yeast flavors in the foiundation; sweet and sour. Lots of warming alcohol.

M: Light body; almost thin. Ample carbonation. Dry and slightly hot.

D: I don't know what I was expecting. Interestingly flavorful and who knows about balance. Share with freinds and have something sweet.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy orange-brown with very little head that disappears immediately. Surprise, no lace.
Smell is malty, alcohol, strawberry, and dark fruits.
Taste is like sherry with malt, dark fruits, a big hit of alcohol with no noticeable raspberry but a slight strawberry note.
Full-bodied and a medium effervescence, smooth, almost chewy. A really good beer if a sipping one.

3.7/5  rDev +0.5%

This is my first beer review so take it for what you will.
I guess up to this point I may not have felt that I could judge beers like many on here do due to the lack of overall sensory observations that many of the people on here have.
My review of DFH Port is overall good.
This beer has a good overall smell. Fruity and alcohol overall. I did not realize until looking on BA that this is an 18% beer.
On an average night I might drink 3-4 beers and the DFH Port started giving me that "buzzed" feeling after the first pint glass which seemed "strange" to me.
The taste is very complex and full of fruits Raspberry being the main flavor, alcohol and other flavors. The first sip was good and My thoughts were that I'd drink this on special occasions but never as a session beer.
Mouthfeel was very good with a good amount of carbonation to it and yet a smooth feel overall.
Drinkability is decent. Depending on the complexity you are used to.
Overall I'd rank this a "Special Occasion" beer. It works very well in the "Buzz" department and is good overall. I may buy a bomber of this to put back to age in the future. for one of my first DFH beers I'm overall impressed!

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 at cellar temperature into a tulip glass. Been looking forward to tasting this one for awhile. Glad to have scored it at Gary's in Madison NJ.

A-Deep peachy amber with a white head that settles rapidly to nothingness. A pleasing looking brew that would be greatly enhanced by some foam on top.

S-Omigod! This smells more like industrial cleaner than something I want to put inside by body. Very chemical and solvent odors are wafting out of my tulip. Somewhere in the background is a fruitiness that I'm not sure I can place, but this is not pleasing. (This was my initial impression, which I am revising mid-review as I revisit the nose in the context of the taste...do not judge this book by its cover (or smell). I originally gave the nose a 1.5, but that would be unfair to this brew. The nose still does not do it justice.

T-What a surprise! This redeems in the taste in a big way. Sweet succulent red raspberry is delivered by strong warming alcohol in a velvet creaminess that is just lovely. Astringent hop and alcohol buzz on the back end and a finish that lasts forever. This is another offering that begs the question..."is this beer?" Don't know what it is, but I like it.

M-Well balanced medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

D-I'm lovin' it, but this is a big beer in a big bottle. Dudes at DFH, please put this in a 12 oz bottle like the 120!

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 7/9/07: pours a cloudy copper reddish amber with a 1/2 inch foamy tan head; smells of raspberries and malt, with that sweet scent like a port wine that just screams of heavy alcohol content.

Sharp taste of raspberries and malt up front, with the warming alcohol feel starting as the brew slides down and then gets sweeter as it comes to a dry finish. Very light carbonation and decent lacing, but this beer leans more towards a wine or barleywine rather than a true beer (like the 90 Minute IPA for example). After the second sip I started to taste citrus, like orange peel and/or lemon, as well as some caramel, maple syrup and other spices that were present, but so repressed by the dominant raspberries and malt flavor that my taste buds couldn't decipher what they were. The alcohol is noticable, but considering it's 18% it was pretty well masked.

This beer is like the Lindeman's Framboise Lambic on steroids, and I mean that in a good way. It's an interesting beer that would go well with desert or a piece or dark chocolate, but it's not a session beer. I'm glad I shared it my wife as a nightcap since it was a "mood" setter, but this is not a beer for anyone looking to drink beer. This is a solid experiment from Dogfish Head, but overall is a tad too sweet for me to come back and have this again unless it's for a romantic interlude involving a good beer with a high ABV, chocolate and some hot lovin' on the agenda!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

750mL bottle into small wine glasses and shared with family.

Pours tomato red with a very fizzy cap that lasts only a few seconds. No lacing. Slightly hazy.

Strong raspberry with a lot of alcohol burning through.

Once again, the raspberry is the dominant characteristic, mixing with the high alcohol. Medium bodied with low carbonation, with a slick feel, more like a wine. The finish is extremely dry from the alcohol.

This is a very flavorful beer, considering the amount of alcohol in it. The alcohol does make itself noticed though, and all you can taste is the raspberry puree. Considering all that, it's still a beer to be tried. I recommend it for wine lovers.

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a slightly cloudy dark orange amber with a thin off-white head that dissipates in to a ring around the glass with a hint of lacing. Aroma dominated by raspberries, slightly sour. Intense lavor of sweet raspberry juice with a hint of sweet malt and alcohol. The flavor is pleasant and interesting at first, but develops a medicinal quality and then the alcohol hits with a very hot finish. Light to medium bodied. I found the sweetness to be appropriate, but the ABV made this difficult to drink except in small quantities, not a feature I enjoy for a beer. Glad I tried it, but may not devote enough time to finishing another big bottle of this. I would buy this again in a smaller bottle.

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a hazy orange/red with a fizzy head, made lots of noise as it quickly died down to nothing.

Smell is quite tart smelling, bit of sweetness, can easily make out the raspberry aroma.

Whoa, the taste is quite potent. I didn't know the ABV before trying it, but now I can definitely tell it's 18%. Taste is also quite tart, my mouth is puckering from each drink. Lots of carbonation in the mouth, but works for this beer. Quite a bit alcohol burn in the mouth and warms the belly pretty quickly. I have a feeling this would be much better if they toned down the strength.

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter glass. From notes: Pours a slightly hazed orange/deep gold, with a thin ring of white head. Nose is raspberry puree with sugar and alcohol, pungent hops,perfume and some oak. Tastes very strong. Of alcoholic raspberries with a bunch of fresh hops added in. Potent. A bit woodsy with a metallic twang towards the end from the warmth of the alcohol. Pretty intense overall, but as it warms it does grow on you and becomes more enjoyable. Strong fruity finish with lengthy hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is creamy yet abit prickly, at the same time. Interestingly unique beer.

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%

750 mL bottle, bottled on 07/10/07.

Well, it doesn't really look like a raspberry beer, instead pours a golden honey amber color with a minimal off white head with little retention and lacing as expected for such high ABV, also a slow steady stream of bubbles rising to the surface. Very clear, tinged gold at the edges against light. Amazing raspberry aroma, much more liquor-ish than beer like. Very sweet, raspberry, other dark fruit, sugars, not very tart or funky, also obviously very strong alcohol presence. Body is very thick and smooth, almost syrup, like a cordial, appropriate light carbonation. Flavor doesn't resemble a beer, not even a lambic, very sweet, strong raspberry flavor, almost like a jam or yogurt. And then the alcohol, very warming in the throat and in the stomach, but never quite a burn. Definitely would prefer to see this in a smaller serving size, the 750 is rough even for two people. However, despite my friends warnings, I really enjoyed this, pushes the boundaries of what beer is, blah blah, etc.

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer poured an apricot and strawberry color with a persistent, creamy egg shell white head.

Smells of raspberries and tart cherries with a huge, non-caustic alcohol. There’s also a slight bit of caramel in the background. I’m not sure how to rate this, but I guess if the style is an 18% ABV fruit beer, this is really impressive.

The taste starts with a CO2 and an oaky dryness that is followed up by a caramel and raspberry with a slight touch of coffee. Again, the huge alcohol steps in, but it doesn’t burn at all.

The mouth feel is medium bodied with a thick carbonation.

I liked this one quite a bit. Considering the ABV, it was surprisingly tasty and I can’t wait to sit on another bottle for several years to try it again.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to Eric for opening this up.

Pours tangerine golden with a small white head.

The aroma is dominated by sweet, sugary raspberries and alcohol. There are a small amount of citrus hops present. This has quite a potent aroma. The taste is strong, pungent raspberries. It's very sweet and the alcohol is very strong. I was drinking this and thinking that the alcohol was abnormally strong, and then I saw the ABV and it made sense. This is reminiscent of a carbonated raspberry mead. Considering the 18%, the ABV is actually decently hidden.

Light - medium bodied with a low level of carbonation and a viscous mouthfeel. This is definitely the strongest fruit beer I've ever had. The strength and sweetness knocks the drinkability down, but this is an interesting beer that's worth a try.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.74/5  rDev +1.6%

I have had this fresh on tap at the brewery, a bottle about 6 month old, and most recently a bottle that was a little over a year old. I can definitely attest to this beer getting better with age.

I shared this bottle at the first Central Ohio beer tasting. Love the label. 12/2009 bottling.

The beer is a mild amber color, mostly clear. Not much head but we weren't in a rush to take a full pour of a beer so strong.

The smell has really opened up on this with some age. Some were complaining of the booziness, but for a beer of 18% you've got to expect that, no matter how well hidden it is. Still, I felt that the alcohol had mellowed nicely in one short year, I can see why some hold onto this for 5+ years.

Lots of raspberry and blackberry notes can be found in the aroma. The fruit is sweet and ripe, with a moderate sting of alcohol on the finish.

The taste is certainly hot, but tart raspberries distract the palate from the alcohol well. Sweet with a nice warming deep in the throat.

Ultimately this beer is very hot no matter how you slice it. I went into this bottle expecting exactly that, and wasn't disappointed with the beer. If you go into it thinking that 18% abv will somehow be masked completely you're not going to like this. Despite the alcohol, this is most definitely not undrinkable. A fine sipper that I wish we had more time to appreciate at our tasting. Not a beer to rush through.

3.74/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Reddish/pink lemonade pour. Not much going on in the foam or lacing departments.

Smells like a raspberry kids drink, but highly alcoholic. Like a boozy juice box. Sign me up.

Flavor is pretty much along those same lines. Smooth, sweet raspberries, with a hot, somewhat numbing finish. Booze is very apparent, though I wouldn't have guessed 18%.

Smooth, syrupy texture. Leaves a light tickle in the back of the throat. Hard to drink more than about four ounces of this one, but it's still enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised that this was a fairly simple (well, as simple as an 18% raspberry beer can be) Dogfish Head offering...I was expecting something much more, off-center I guess, but that was not the case.

3.74/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery