Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Reviews: 551 | Ratings: 1,248
2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

750ml bottle, '10 vintage. Split this one between about 4 people, thank god. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A: Initially this one poured like a cloudy pink grapefruit juice, but then evened out into a deep orange amber color. There was about a half finger of loose bubbled white head initially, but that disappeared rather quickly into a ring of white around the edges of the glass.

S: I video reviewed this one, and I said "nail polish remover" and I am sticking to it. The nose on this was straight booze. I don't know where some of these reviews have it any other way. I agree with one about it being 120min with raspberries, because that is right on point. There is some sweetness from the berries in there to sort of cut the booze a touch.

T: They used Warrior hops in the brewing process, but you get no hop presence at all. Nothing really on the tip of the tongue. In the middle of the mouth, you get lots of sweet malt and a hint of berries. I was really thinking that maybe there would be some fruity sweetness, but that was not the case. The close is long and it definitely warms the throat with alcohol. This is a booze bomb.

M: It's medium leading to full. No where near as thick and viscous as a stout, but the booze makes it feel bigger than what it is.

O: This is certainly not for the faint of heart. I will not be buying this beer again. Far too boozy to be enjoyable. Where are the raspberry flavors and tartness that I was expecting? Less fermentation and booze-attention grabbing, and more flavor monitoring down at DFH.

2.97/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, dated 11/13/06 - the head dissipates quickly, leaving only an off-white ring around the top of a dark orange beer. It looks almost like an iced tea, perhaps a bit darker.

Smell is raspberry and apple. A little menacing; not terribly sweet. These are definitely green apples. Granny Smith is angry at you for some reason.

Taste is dominated by alcohol. There's a tartness that creeps in at the end, but I honestly don't get much but booze. This would be good with something that cuts that a little, like a soft and creamy cheese. The apple is a bit more prominent to me than the raspberry, with a fairly strong sour flavor.

It's fairly thin, and seems quite carbonated. Almost feels prickly.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. It's enormously strong, and I couldn't finish more than a glass or so. Would have been much better with an appropriate companion plate of some kind. I'll try this again sometime, but not soon.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

Reviewed 2/8/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber brown colored body. Golden around the fringes. Creamy off-white head. Decent lacing, somewhat lasting. Very strong raspberry aroma, sugar, fizzy, some malts. Strong flavor, strong alcohol, whiskey? Some raspberries. Very hot. More mild as it warms up.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.
bottled in 2009.

pours a clear, burnished deep orange tone yielding 3/4" off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin cap, collar around the glass. not unsurprising given the 18% ABV.

very pungent nose smacks of tart raspberries and alcohol. the strength of the rasberry is good, but on the whole it's fairly one-dimesional.

flavor is... ok, not going to sugarcoat it: IMO what we have here is a syrupy, boozy, cloying raspberry mess that wreaks havoc on the palate. salvaged from the drain by the intense rasberry presence but not my favorite offering from dogfish head. boozy finish.

decent, full bodied mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation.

i had high hopes for this number but in the end it's only slightly more enjoyable than a wine cooler on steroids.

Reviewed from notes, a dead computer had forced me to put pen to paper, how nostalgic.

Split with Gf, she purchased this on a whim as she has developed a taste for dfh aprihop and festina peche. Poured from a capped 750ml bottle into an oversized wine goblet. Bottled 7/10/07. Firm pour yields 2 finger off white head. Brief head retention and minimal lace. Color is very cloudy, murky orange with a little sediment as my half was poured last.

Nose-As to be expected loads of fermented rasberry, alcohol, and a sticky syrupy sweet undertone.

Taste- Remincient of a lambic only much, much bigger and sweeter with less carbonation. Very thick, viscous, and syrupy. Lightly tart Rasberry. Hot, somewhat cloying caramel and tart rasberry sour. Long finish, really stays with you.

Mouthfeel is cloying and thick.

Drinkability- Not so much. Too thick and cloying, long sour finish is too much for me.

1 pint 9.6 fl. oz. in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color, very hazy.

S - Very strong raspberry smell. Overpowers everything else.

T - Very strong raspberry flavor and very sweet. Very strong alcohol flavor. The bottle was dated 2009 so it is 2 years old and probably around 17% ABV.

M - Very full bodied but also very sweet.

D - I couldn't drink it. It was way too sweet for me. My wife loved it but i couldn't drink it.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

A 750ml bottle, with bottled on 11/13/06 stamped on the bottle. Poured into a tulip glass, it's a beautiful beer: red/orange color, a thin head. Obvious raspberry aroma. The difficulty arose with the taste. Raspberry definitely there, but also a pronounced alcohol taste. Very harsh. The label says "should age with the best of 'em". I'll buy a couple more bottles and try that, because this isn't a drinkable beer in it's present state.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a clear amber color with minimal head and no lacing

Smells like alcohol and medicinal raspberries. Slight grain scents come out as it warms, but it smells very medicinal.

Tastes of grain and raspberries. No progression except alcohol really comes out on the finish.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin considering the alcohol.

Overall, this is not good at all. It is overly medicinal and just not good to drink...thank god I'm sharing this bottle

3.04/5  rDev -17.4%

Overall, this beer was just o.k. The least attractive aspect of this beer is its aroma. It falls somewhere in between flinstones vitamins and robitussin. The raspberry scent comes through slightly, but the alcohol overpowers everything. Pours a nice pinkinsh amber with minimal head. The flavor of the rasperries is faint, but pleasant. There is a nice malt profile and some hops, but the flavors are dominated by the alcohol. I understand what they were going for with this beer, and I love big beers as much as the next BA, but this particular brew could probably benefit from a lower ABV, just to let some of the other flavors shine through.

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Score above is from 2005 vintage.

****2008 vintage. Poured into a snifter. Consumed 2/27/2012, so roughly 3 years old.

3.5 A: Moderately hazed peachy amber color. About one finger of fizzy beige-ish head that fell quickly and left no lacing. Looks more like the 05 than anything.

1.5 S: Unholy raspberry rubbing alcohol. Wow is this potent and aggressive. I can't really give a good comment to the nose.

2.0 T: This maybe should be a 1.5 as well, but it's so much better than the nose that I had no choice but to throw an extra half point on it. The taste is pretty much boozy raspberry juice. Lots of raspberry, lots of booze, and not much depth. It tastes a hell of a lot like 18%, makes my tongue tingle, and leaves behind a solid warming. Alcohol breath.

2.5 M: Heavier medium body. Good carbonation. Boozy mouthfeel - warming, biting, and not particularly pleasant.

1.0 D: Easily the worst vintage. Whenever I had this fresh from a tap I don't recall it being this boozy and simple. If you have a bottle of this, cook with it or give it to someone you don't like.

****2007 vintage, bottled 07//09/07. Poured into a snifter. Consumed 4/27/2012, so roughly 4 1/2 years old.

3.5 A: Ruddy plum color. A little over one finger of frothy beige head. Retention is better than some of the other vintages since it isn't a fizzy head, but still not unlike what you'd expect from an 18% brew. No lacing.

2.0 S: Like the 08, this has a raspberry rubbing alcohol vibe to it, but it doesn't burn my nose. Otherwise a bit spicy.

2.5 T: This doesn't taste all that great, but I must say that most of the alcohol is well hidden. It's still boozy, just not as boozy as what the nose suggested. Raspberry and booze without much else poking through.

3.5 M: Lighter heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Mildly creamy. Decent here.

2.5 D: I'm not a huge fan of this vintage, but it kills the 08 by a long margin.

****2006 vintage. Poured into a snifter. Consumed 2/8/2012, so roughly 5 years old.

3.5 A: Opaque ruddy amber brown color. One finger of fizzy beige-ish head that fell quickly and left no lacing. Amazing how different this one appears from the 05 vintage.

3.5 S: Smells a lot different too. Raspberry is far and away the strongest component. Just a touch of booze. The earthiness of the 05 vintage is not present. A light toffee component exists with notes of sherry.

1.5 T: Unlike the 05, this is fairly boozy. Maybe not 18% boozy, but 12-14% or so. This also has some notes of oxidation as sherry is a fairly strong component of the taste. Perhaps a touch of cardboard as well. Raspberries are quite strong. Little to no spicy component.

2.5 M: Heavy body. Carbonation level is good for a beer this old. Not all that creamy. It lays somewhat dead on the tongue.

2.0 D: Much worse that the 05 vintage. No way in hell this would taste like the 05 if I waited another year. Notes of oxidation and much boozier. It's hard to say whether the differences are from technical issues such as bottling, natural batch variation, or terroir.

****2005 vintage. Poured into a snifter. I believe I owe thanks to mday for this. Consumed 2/3/2012, so roughly 6 years old.

3.5 A: Transluscent medium amber color. One finger of fizzy beige-ish head that fell quickly and left no lacing. 18% ABV fruit beer means I'll cut it some slack.

3.5 S: Still a ton of raspberries in this. Actually that's about all there is, though this is a lot earthier than when fresh. Booze is barely detectable.

2.5 T: The taste isn't anything to write home about though. It's tasty, but the raspberries are quite faded compared to fresh. Despite this, raspberry is still the main flavor. I'm picking up a healthy spiciness from the yeast. Clove and pepper are there to a good extent. Earthiness abounds, but not in a funky way. Alcohol is very well hidden with a light warming on finish.

4.0 M: Heavier medium body. Carbonation is as if it were fresh, which is quite a feat for a bottle this old. Spritzy with a decent creaminess.

3.0 D: While it's not as good as fresh, it hasn't aged poorly. A lot of the raspberry flavor is gone, but it brings out a spiciness that I never knew was there. Feel free to age this, it's a lot different and still quite drinkable.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

SO, i'm reviewing this beer with the intent of reviewing a BEER not a port, liquor, etc.

Dogfish is my fav brewery, but i do find their "out there" beers are more of an interest than actual enjoyable drinking beverages.

Poured a hazy shade of red with a thick foamy head. SMell, literally, i slike young port. Very nice, wonderfull. Fruity, winy and sweet.

Taste..ouch...Dense, thick, sweet syrupy alcohol, very winey and "porty." Had it with 6 beer lovers and noone could finish a small glass.

Overall, interesting, but if I want port, i'd buy port...I dont know how this beer fits into a beer drinkers world, i find it a bit unpleasant to be honest. I'm usually not so harsh, but to me this is just one of those beers where it was made because it was a challenge, not because it tastes good. The first dogfish i didn't like.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Presentation: Last night at The Flying Saucer in Addison they were having their 13th anniversary party and tapped 5 rare kegs; this was one of them. Poured from their draft tap into a wide bowl wine-style glass with a stem.

A: This beer is absolutely beautiful. A reddish-orange color that almost appears to be on fire as it catches light around it.

S: Smells extremely phenolic indicative of its 18% alcohol content. It is not hidden whatsoever. What it does have in burn though it makes up for in beautiful raspberry aromas.

T: I liked this beer, but it is extremely strong and does not hide it. Tastes of raspberries and warm alcohol that I prefer as the drink warms up. I think the alcohol burns less as the temperature warms which is converse to what the Alstrom Bros thought.

M: Very nicely carbonated for this type of beer. High carbonation was needed, and it was present.

D: This is a sipper in the purest sense of the word. I bet it took me 1.5 hours to finish 8 oz. of this. I don't drink liquor straight, but at times I certainly felt like that's what this was offering.

Overall I"m glad I got to have this, but I would not get it again.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Had it on tap at Cock n Bull in Sarasota. Poured into an 8oz glass, with very little head that receded quickly. There was no lacing left on the glass. Pink/Red, not a typical beer color at all.
S: Smells of raspberry (surprise!), as well as some lighter malts, a bit of caramel. Could not smell any hops aromas.
T: I acknowledge that it is slightly difficult to make raspberry flavored products that don't taste medicinal... unfortunately, this one does taste medicinal. My first sip, I said "this tastes more like a mixed drink". While it did improve after the first sip and taste a bit better, the alcohol was very pronounced and not entirely well hidden. The raspberry was very tart, and it masked the malt and hop flavors, making it taste like a sweet raspberry mixed drink overall.
M: Alcohol was very forward, carbonation was light, and it was a bit sticky in the mouth.
D: It did get more drinkable as I drank, the first few sips were rather harsh and unenjoyable. That is somewhat to be expected for an 18% beer though. I am glad I tried it, but wouldn't be very likely to buy it again.

3.09/5  rDev -16%

A bottle that's been in my cellar for at least a year, probably more like 2. Split this with the wife, and holy cats....wish we had more people here to share it with us. Awesome nose....I could sit here and just sniff it...

Color is nice, I expected a darker color for some odd reason, but the color is perfect too.

I really like this as a sipper, but it would have been fantastic as a lower ABV brew for more anytime drinking. Very drinkable for 18%, but like I said, I'd like something with a little less kick.

Nice beer, worth a try, but not something I'd probably purchase again. I'm glad I've held onto it.

3.09/5  rDev -16%

Crystal clear, it pours a small head which is gone in the blink of an eye. Amber in color. Complex aroma of honey, berries, and hops. The first taste reminds me of cough medicine, sweet up front and bitter in the finish. Some alcohol in the finish but the 18% ABV is very well hidden. Sticky mouthfeel, lots of sugars. Improves some as it gets warmer. I'd give it an A for creativity, but a D for execution.

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled in 2008

A- Cloudy orange, no head, no lacing.

S- Alcohol and fruitiness, not too much on the smell but enough.

T- Starts with an alcohol taste very present, mid way through you can feel the warmth and carbonation, and afterwards there was little to no after taste.

M- The mouthfeel was decent during the sip but left nothing on the tongue or any after taste

D- I shared this with my girlfriend, split between two the alcohol still got to you pretty fast, it taste more like a liquor than a beer, I would say this is the least enjoyable of all the Dogfish I have tried. I would drink it again but not for a while.

3.11/5  rDev -15.5%

on tap from a 2008 keg

A-thick tan color. thin cream colored head

S-smells like alcohol with a touch of raspberries and some cream.

T-comes in with a strong bite of alcohol and raspberries and cream...but mostly alcohol. ends with a burnt raspberry cream flavor. its a harsh beer with not much smoothness or balalnce.

M-medium heavy carbonation with a dry finish

O-this is just too big of a beer to be enjoyable. its harsh and does not go down easily. it wouldn't be terrible to share though. this isn't something i'll be searching out. you know, for the money, i expect a whole hell of a lot more out of my fruit beer.

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured into oversized wine glass:

Pours reddish orange with a thin head that recedes - but, nice retention for abv.

The smell is of raspberries with bready (pie-crust) notes. Smells like raspberry pie soaked in alcohol.

The taste is of raspberry liqueur. Aging this one for over a year, but alcohol is still sharp. This is more of a raspberry liqueur than a beer, though there is a bit of carbonation. The raspberry is not "artificial" or syrupy (well, maybe a bit). But, in the end, it tastes like those "red hot" candies I had as a kid with tabasco sauce. Chambord on steroids. Hot, hot, hot.

Sweet and hot. Sticky, but not as much as could be considering sweetness of it.

The carbonation makes it somewhat drinkable (relative to a liqueur). It is a tough one. Drinkability rated for what it is. I can't say it's not drinkable, but wow is it ever a slow-sipper. Caveat Emptor.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Picked this one up at Grape Vine Market, and split it with my Fiancée on Valentine's Day.

Split a 750ml between 2 pint glasses.

Appearance - It is hazy translucent brownish amber red color. It produced a 1 1/2 finger rocky head that lasted quite a while - good retention. It didn't leave much lacing behind, but then again, it is 18% ABV.

Smell - There is a scent here that is similar to champagne yeast, and a tartness that is very strong. There is a strong raspberry scent, as well as the overpowering scent of booze. All of the smells are tied in with the booze on this one.

Taste - I wasn't so keen on the taste of this one. It tasted like raspberries and grain alcohol, and not much else. I felt like this beer was a one trick pony. There is a tartness and a sweetness which are both closely tied to the raspberries, but the booze pretty much overpowers all of the other flavors. This beer is seriously imbalanced.

Mouthfeel - It is medium bodied. This one is lively - highly effervescent. There is a definite alcohol burn from this one.

Drinkability - I respect DFH for what they do, but I didn't like this one so much. I didn't finish it - I let my lady finish the rest of mine. It didn't go done well, and it isn't easy to drink. This was a struggle. I am glad I tried it once, but I don't ever see myself buying another 18$ bottle.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Eye: This beer pours a nice pinkish amber copper, with golden highlights-the color right at the bottom of the glass. Its cloudy appearance is due most likely to the wheat in the malt bill. Head poured at about one finger and receded to a think creamy foam leaving some nice lacing. Better head retention would be nice.

Nose: Fruit character evident. Smells much like a white wine, like a dessert type of wine. There are notes of alcohol in the aroma. Raspberry aromas are also evident and there are some malted wheat aromas in there.

Tongue: Tastes a lot like a fruit wine, or perhaps even honey mead. Has some real hot flavors from the alcohol. The alcohol is very evident in the flavor, you can flat out say "Here's alcohol and this is what it tastes like." Not much of the fruit flavor comes through over the alcohol, its there but not nearly as strong as I would've thought. The sweetness from the raspberries lingers on the tongue as the alcohol overloads the tastebuds, yet its there if you try to not focus on the alcohol. For a fruit beer I'd say that its nowhere near as fruity as I would've liked, but as a high octane brew, well its pretty good.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very light and thin mouthfeel, not much body, again more like a lightly carbonated wine. Hot from the high alcohol, warms a bit as it goes down. This is a beer I'd come back to if I wanted something high in abv, as for its characteristics as a fruit beer I'll probably not be buying it again. I mean when one buys a fruit beer one wants something fruity and in essence-excuse the stereotype-"girly." I've a feeling though that by the end of this bottle I'll be drunk. Next time I feel like getting drunk off of classier beer I think that this brew is the route to go...17 dollars, classy beer. This will probably last one the whole night. Get you feeling good right away.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a snifter glass at a Dogfish Head dinner at Rapture. From notes. Reviewed 16 January 2012.

A: Almost a finger of nice head fades quickly. The beer is reddish, translucent/cloudy, and pretty.

S: Whoah! Balsamic vinegar and fruity, cherry cough syrup. Sticky.

T: Uh...It's quite sweet. And still reminiscent of cough syrup. But in the taste a tartness -- raspberry -- prevails. Utterly sweet with no bittering balance, but at 16% what did you expect?

M: Strong and dry, but with a decent carbonation amidst the cloyingness.

O: Too sweet (and strong) for my blood, but perhaps worth the experience.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

A: unfiltered caramel/orange color. Barely any head whatsoever, hardly any lacing.

S: Seriously boozy. There is not even remotely any attempt to mask the alcohol in the aroma. Hints of raspberries, strawberries and blackberries make their way through the alcohol to the nose.

T: Tastes like a red wine on the cheaper side. Raspberries are prevalent in the flavor, along with other dark fruits. Raspberry sweetness is a little overpowering for the balance of this beer, which is essentially it's downfall. Very very boozy, alcohol hits the palate hard.

M: Burn of alcohol with an aftertaste that's much too sweet. Medium carbonation, medium body.

D: Definitely a sipper. My suggestion would be to split the bottle 3 or more ways, that way you aren't morally forced to finish this whole thing.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

My friend picked up a 750 of this from Abe's in Bethlehem and split it with me. Poured into two pint glasses.

Somewhat cloudy, orangeish liquid with more head and better retention than i expected based on its 18% ABV and left only a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell is sweet and tart, full of raspberry and quite a bit of warm booze. Taste is similar, taste is so strong on the raspberry, was actually a bit tough to get through. Took me quite a bit of time to get through my half of this bottle, but i did finish it. Glad to have tried it, but there were dozens of beers at Abe's that we could have gotten for half the price that would have been better.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance - rich amber/orange color.

Smell - RAz raz RAz. (and alcohol)

Taste - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. A bit too sweet and cloying.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated and prominent heat Too thick and syrupy for my taste.

Drinkability - A little to boozy for me. The syrupy nature would really make me think twice

3.19/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Shared by Spider889.

The world's strongest fruit beer, eh? Thats just about as Dogfish Head as you get.
A- I was a little surprised to see this beer pour out a golden color rather than red. Come to think of it, I usually am surprised to see the color of most Dogfish beers. Seems like every one of their 750ml bottles all contain some sort of pale golden beer. Raspberries seem to have very little influence on the color, aside from a faint pinkish hue.

S- Big on raspberries. Alcohol sting mixed in with the puree/extract smelling concentration of raspberries.

T- For being 18% this beer is tame. I find that Olde School, at less than 16% or what ever it is, to have a stronger alcohol flavor. Raspberries are pretty strong too with not much else. No hops and a very meager malt profile. Its not bad, its just one dimensional.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery