Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,300 |  Reviews: 566
4.01/5  rDev +8.7%

Bright orange hue to the body buy almost a complete lack of head or lacing don't make it look all that special.

On the other hand, this couldn't smell any better. The alcohol is aggressive but as it has time to breathe the aromas form a delectable combo that could best be summed up as a raspberry truffle. A knockout in this category.

Alcohol is obvious but as it calms down the raspberry is what this is all about. Tasty although there is a touch of solvent-like finish. Otherwise, a wonderful sipper.

Mouthfeel is viscous but it's almost 20 freakin' % ABV, what do you expect. It's certainly not a beer with high drinkability but it's a great treat to split with a group. We paired it with some high quality chocolate and thought it was divine.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy reddish brown with a thin off white head.

Smell: Strong fruit and alcohol smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of alcohol, wuthering a sweeter fruit taste and mild bitter hops.

Overall: Not what I expected, but it was a good beer, I would have it again.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

750ml bottle purchased at Riley's here in Madison as a splurge for the Valentines's Day dinner I made for my girlfriend and me.

Pours a vibrant dark amber/pink with a bit of foam that dies quickly in my champagne flute. Nose is fresh raspberries, nice and tart, and waftable alcoholic fumes....yes, folks, this stuff could probably strip wallpaper. Tastes similar to the St. Louis Premium Framboise that I've ad on tap, well, except for the fact that it's nearly as strong as Malibu Rum. Sweet yet tart, fresh raspberry juice with a fiery alcohol dropkick. Mouthfeel is lively and champagne dry. This stuff is actually a little better and more drinkable when it's straight from the fridge to cut that warming alcohol. Worth the pricetag? Not sure, but I sure am crunk in the meantime...Happy Valentine's, y'all.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

My aged Fort poured a copperish red with a very thin film atop looking like a strong Belgian.

Real sweet aroma; the raspberries are up front, but the alcohol is noticed more than any
other ingredient.

A fruity explosion with raspberries battling against the alcohol and I have to say that the berries win the battle.

There is a rich, warming feel when I sip the Fort. Moderate carbonation.

A 750ml solo and I have no plans to go anywhere as this is going to put me on my ass without a doubt. Dogfish Head has the extreme beers down.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Extremely cloudy, almost as if yeast was stirred into it. No light shines through. The color is burnt orange. Decent head, but very little lace.

Sweet, but slightly plastic; muffled sour cherry aroma.

This is an extreme beer: Powerful alcoholic warmth, particularly in the swallow. Strong sour cherry flavor up front. The body is very rich and the carbonation is notably muted. Interestingly, I taste no yeast.

Such a powerful beer in such a large bottle, I wonder if I can finish it. In many ways its like drinking a port or other fortified liquor. This deserves to be served from a smaller vessel. Or you could share this one with six friends.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured on-tap and served in a snifter, the beer is a cloudy, orange-amber coloring with a frothy, dense, small bubbled off-white head. Aromas are surprisingly subtle, with a strong raspberry and booze blend of the nose. Not overly sweet or tart on the nose, it smells great. Flavors are rich, with a heavy fruit and malt sweetness balanced very well. Raspberry tartness is solid, but remaining light to avoid being overpowering, with a good, smooth, creamy malt backbone. The beer has a decent lacing along the glass, and the body is round and smooth, with a velvety texture as it clears the palate. The aftertaste is a little sharp, with the tart raspberry flavors meeting a roasted, earthy backbone. The finish has a slight linger and cloy, but the increased ABV cleans that up quickly. Very smooth and flavorful.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled 10/23/15; poured into a snifter. Deep orange color veering slightly towards light red. Minimal head that quickly settled away.

Aroma is sweet berries with maybe a hint of malt. Giving the glass a swirl liberates some light alcohol notes that blend with the berries. Mouthfeel is rich, though noticeably light on the carbonation.

Taste is fruity with a light tartness that balances and makes the beer enjoyable. It's much closer to a mild lambic than the much boozier tasting 120 minute, World Wide Stout or Olde School. There is a touch of sweetness, but not at all cloying or medicinal.

Overall this is much lighter than I expected; more in the nose than the palate. Not to say it's a flavorless beer, just less robust than I expected from a Dogfish 'big' beer. It's enjoyable, though I think there are some light lambics that match its quality and are easier to find than this occasional rarity.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I aged this bottle for a year before drinking it. Seemed to help a good deal- still strong and alcoholic, but not hot and the flavors are somewhat more integrated. Pours a dark amber with little head and no lacing. No brilliant hues of raspberry puree here. Aromas of seedy raspberrys and creamy raspberry puree. A bit of sweet malt and some tannins on the finish- probably from raspberry seeds. Taste is similar, with very deeep raspberry flavors that are also quite tannic and bitter and exhibit rich, complex seedy/stemmy overtones. For me, this works and the resultant tannins balance the alcohol and sweetness from the raspberries. My wife hated it. Mouthfeel is very tannic and although this is definitely a sipper, a friend and I polished off the bottle with enjoyment. Definitely a unique beer and highly interesting.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a bottle of this from Bev Max in Stamford Ct. on saturday and it set me back about $16 bucks. I'm not usually a big fruit beer fan but had been looking forward to trying this one. I poured it into a Piratte tulip glass.

A- It poured a nice amber gold that was slightly cloudy. I was expecting a red beer (for some reason) and was quite surprised by the way it looked. It had a tiny white head (maybe 1/4") that disappered realy fast and left no laceing.

S- I expected it to smell like juice or kool aid or something and was surprised. All though the rapberries were definatly there, they were rather mild and delicate. It smelled sweet with some light yeast and alot of alcohol. It smelled like some of the home made fruit wines I used to make back in the day.

T- Again I was surprised how subdued the raspberries were! Like the smell they were up front and dominated but had a certain restraint to them. This beer is deifanitly sweet but not syrupy. I also noticed, like the smell, some light yeast and a malty sweetness, but no real malt character. The raspberries tasted fresh and not artifical with a good sweet tangy flavor. The alcohol dominated the back end and was quite boozy. It almost burned the tounge if held to long, and warmed me to my toes! As the beer warmed the raspberries become a little more pronunced and the taste mellowed a bit. Again, it sort of reminded me of the home made fruit wines. My wife said it reminded her of champagne with chambord!

M- Fairly medium body beer with a lively active carbonation that reminded me of champagne.

D- I thought this was an interesting beer. It had a nice balance of fruit and sweetness that worked for me. The alcohol did come through a little strong but was drinkable. I would drink it again on occasion but the abv is a little high for much more than that. Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

A beautiful bright copper color...a half finger of white head and some nice lacing.
Decent aromas of sweet carmelized malt and fresh rasberries.
The taste is simply incredible....huge rasberry flavor and just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the alcohol which makes an appearance but only enough to tell you to respect this one.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, the carbonation is perfect and goes down too easy.
Another solid extreme brew from Sam and the folks at DFH....will definitely pickup another bottle to sit on for a year or so to see how it evolves.

Bottled in 2008

Poured into an oversized wine glass revealing an opaque caramel red drink. No head to speak of and no visible carbonation.

The smell is very interesting and unique. Notes of raspberry, strawberry, caramel, clove, spice, and a huge hit of alcohol heat.

A lot of flavors come out in the taste, much like the smell. As it warms it is getting much better. The initial tastes are caramaly and raspberry tart with other flavors such as granny smith apple, buttery tannin, and a slight smoky hint.

I truly enjoy the mouthfeel as it provides a full tart feel in the mouth with a dry finish.

Fort drinks like a wine. It is like a beer wine hybrid, very unique.

750ml
Bottled On: 11/13/06

Poured into my DFH glass a very nice dark golden amber color, very nice carbonation, nice two-finger fizzy off-white head, which does leave some nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, lots of raspberries, spices, with some caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, big raspberry flavour, some spicyness, and caramel. Medium body, the alcohol is noticeable, but not overwhelming with a brew this high in ABV. Very drinkable, I like this one, glad to have a chance to finally try it.

4.03/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

Very sweet yet slightly tart at the same time. Intense flavor, alcohol taste is masked. Definitely smell the alcohol on the nose, takes away a bit of the aroma it could have. Served on tap in 4 oz. increments, probably a wise move.

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

served from the tap at the brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.

appears a dark golden color with little head. I was actually surprised, I expected it to be tinted pink from the fruit. aroma is very pleasant - very sweet raspberries. the raspberry is actually more mild in the taste.

also surprisingly for the ABV strength, it's not boozy at all. body is fairly thin.

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

A little too heavy in the raspberry aspect. This beer drinks much smaller than 17 percent. I would figure the tartness of the berries is responsible. All in all a very enjoyable beer as I love raspberries.

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours from the 750ml bottle (awesome artwork I might add) into my glass a clear light orange/red tone, a bit lighter than I was expecting, not much head to speak of but at 18% abv that's to be expected. Aromas start with pureed raspberries and some light graininess. Quite fruity with a touch of alcohol in the background. Maybe a touch of vanilla as well with a light hop buried within.

First sip brings a mix of natural raspberry puree and a bit of wheat graininess. Mixed fruit flavors meld in as well with a touch of vanilla. Lightly sweet but very well balanced overall. Flows down with a touch of hops on the finish and a light alcohol burn. This one ends up hiding the alcohol quite well compared to a few other high abv DFH brews I've tried. A damn tasty fruit beer overall.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the lighter side and is quite smooth as well. Nice steady carbonation. Fairly easy to drink for such a huge brew. It will definetly catch up with you after a bit. A good one to split for sure and my girlfriend even likes it too. One of the best high abv Dogfish head brews I have sampled. I'll be looking for another bottle again soon...this is a tasty treat.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery