Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Ratings: 1,300 |  Reviews: 566

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.3/5  rDev -37.7%

Pretty clear golden hue with a touch of pinkness from what I can tell, its pretty dark with the power off. Craggy white head. Little flakes float throughout, close to a year of age. Smells of delicious fresh raspberries touch of wheat and grain. Dove into this forgetting that's it 18% took too big of a SIP.

This is a big sweet booze bomb though. Tart raspberries throughout. Champagne like effervescence. Massive syrup like mouthfeel, somehow though carbonation comes through. Lots of alcohol heat and overall booziness. Mouth coating for sure. This beer is just kind of a one trick pony though, tastes like raspberry liquor. Does a good job of showcasing the raspberries but that's about it. Some funky Belgian saison like properties underneath it all but they're barely there.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

4.5/5  rDev +22%

1.32/5  rDev -64.2%

750ml bottle 2008 vintage. I knew this would be a tough beer but I was still completely unprepared for this shit. Sort of a light orange with a pinkish hue. Aroma is acetone and nail polish remover, disgusting. Flavor is very sweet, hint of raspberries and overwhelming alcohol. It was what I imagine industrial cleaning supplies to taste like. I think this was the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life .

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Enjoyed on-tap at the Pickled Pig Pub in Rehoboth Beach, DE

Served and enjoyed from a goblet glass

A - Beer arrived at the table with a half-finger head. A beer is deep amber color. Semi-translucent. The beer appears very thick as I swill the glass and watch as the beer slides down the sides. Little to no lacing left on the glass.

S - The initial aroma is a very sweet, very boozy aroma. Smells sort of like a wine.

T - The beer is very sweet on the first sip. A very distinct raspberry fruitiness that is combined with a sourness. A slight malt taste. No hop biterness at all. The ABV is very noticeable. This is a sipper for sure. The 4oz sample that I purchased was more than enough especially since I was trying other brews.

M - A thicker consistency. A distint alcohol aftertatse.

O - I'm a huge fan of the DFH brews and I was glad I got to try Fort. This beer pushes the boundry between beer and wine more than any other DFH beer I've tried. Although Midas Touch and Noble Rot are wine-like, in my opinion, Fort is almost like a dessert brandy. Decent tasting but not an everyday brew.

Cheers!