Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

firstprev| 1251-1275 | 1276-1300 | 1301-1325  | next → last
Ratings: 1,306 |  Reviews: 567
4.15/5  rDev +11.3%

Picked up a bottle for Valentine's Day for my wife and I. Thought this bottle would bring something extra special due to the price tag. In one way it was but on other levels it was not.

A great label is what caught my eye in the first place along with the champagne bottle. Poured into a flute, this beer was red/pinkish with some very bubbly carbonation and decent head. Head seemed to disipate in the flute and the smell was hints of alcohol and very tart raspberries. By the end of the first glass, my innards were warming up due to the 18% ABV. At first sip I noticed a lot of carbonation on the tongue. Alcohol and raspberries as well. Sweet and tart was too much for me. Hard to find the "beer" factor in this one as hops seemed little to none though I understand the style. After each sip, beer goes down easier with a warming sensation each time. Carbonation seems to have a party on the tongue. Quite drinkable though I doubt my wife and I will try this one again.

serving: bottle served in a snifter

appearance: A reddish-orange hue

smell: A really strong scent of raspberries

taste: Tart Raspberries

mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel

drinkability: A great after dinner beer with a rich dessert such as cheesecake or rich chocolate.

Reminds me of Celis Raspberry back in the day before they were bought out.

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

tried on tap. nice amber color, no head at all. sweet, strong aroma of alcohol & cherry. First sip, tastes like whole grain honey mustard, good gourmet mustard! not off putting at all...really unique and interesting. flavor deepened with cherry sweetness & warm finish. good sipping beer. wasnt overwhelming with CHERRY--whihc was a nice surprise. would be great with vanilla ice cream or short bread cookies. bought a bottle to age.

2.18/5  rDev -41.6%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

4.77/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I tried this beer for the first time on a release night at a local Dogfish Ale House. Fantastic. I only had one but it was wonderful. This is a sipping beer with sweet mellow raspberry taste. Don't expect strong raspberry however. The strong 18% ABV mellows the fruitiness. A little taste of hops but not over powering. This stuff is truth serum so be careful who you drink it with.

firstprev| 1251-1275 | 1276-1300 | 1301-1325  | next → last