Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Reviews: 561 | Ratings: 1,290
3.9/5  rDev +6%

Amber/Gold with a slight reddish tinge.A fluffy bit o' head hangs out on top for a bit before becoming sticky lacing. Aromas of sweet malt and red fruits, the flavor is noticeably rasberry with a heavy malty sweetness, and a bit hot on the finish. Mouthfeel is oily/slick and pretty full bodied. Too heavy for mass consumption, but damn it went well with that chocolate rasberry cake!

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a ruddy cooper, with a white foam head that dissipates after a little bit (little lacing). Smells heavily of raspberry, and the same creamy alcohol smell that I get from their world wide stout. Maybe a bit of vanilla.

Taste is a lot of things at once. Raspberry, alcohol, a bit of dry bitterness, and alcohol. Mouthfeel is pleasant- not too heavy, pleasingly effervescent (with bubble contiunually working their way up from the bottom throughout its time in the glass). A bit of bitterness makes itself known as the beer warms up.

All told, I was a little bit dissapointed with this beer. It being a fruit beer, and being strong, I had hoped that this was a beer that my wife and I could share- thats what helped me to forego the $20 the bottle cost and the difficulty involved in hauling it all the way from DC to Northern California. I guess the confusion arises from the fact that this isn't a fruit beer that appeals to fruit beer drinkers, but a fruit beer that appeals to strong beer drinkers. That isn't to say that I find the beer bad- its actually fairly typical of DFH strong beers, which is to say heavy in the area of alcohol and flavor. Just whereas WWS is malt, coffee, and caramel heavy- forte is raspberry.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a red wine glass. Bottled on date 11/13/06

Appearance: Dark red/amber. Pours a 1 inch thick fluffy white head. Very, very murky in color.

Smell: what do you know! Raspberries!!! Smells is of very sweet raspberry and alcohol.

Taste: RASPBERRY! is the first thing you taste and taste all the way through, hop flavor isnt very noticable. Certainly extremely high malt and sweetness come through and leaves a very noticable taste of alcohol when swallowed.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and sweet almost like cough syrup. The alcohol is certainly there and dries out the mouth and makes you salivate.

Overall: Certainly a very unique beverage that pushes the envelope and even expands the definition of what beer is. Extremely high a/c makes this one a slow sipper to be shared amongst friends and to discuss the different feelings that are had about it.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

A – Light pink with a very fine white head. Head dissipates fairly quickly. The beer is very clear and resembles a rose wine in appearance.

S – The sweetness of the raspberries come out in the aroma very well. I feel like I detected lite hints of honey.

T – Full on raspberry, with very noticeable alcohol on the backside. Also I got sweetness from honey in there too.

M – The beer was very light and sweet. Carbonation was very good. Alcohol warmth on the back of the throat was present.

O – Overall this was a little sweet for my taste. A small tasting glass was more than enough for me.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Vintage 2015
~6 months since bottle date

Appearance- Pours an orange, light amber color, transparent. Half finger thick, fizzy, slight off white colored head, dissipates quickly. Tons of sticky alcohol legs cling to glass.

Aroma- Tart, juicy raspberries, jammy. Sour apples, cherries, lemon, little bit of spiciness. Hints of fusel alcohol.

Taste- Raspberry puree, tart and juicy, subtle sweet maramalade. Tart cherries, cranberries, sweet honey, hints of spicy apple. Hot fusel alcohol notes linger with raspberries.

Feel- Medium feel, slightly syrupy but far less than you would think given the ABV. Moderate carbonation, lots of booziness.

Overall- Raspberry aroma and flavors are very authentic, wonderful fruity tartness with hints of sweetness. All sorts of other subtle fruit flavors come into play, adds a nice complexity. Beer is very hot at this age, all sorts of boozy notes but nothing that detracts from what the beer is. Well done for what its intended to be.

3.37/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 20 May 2011
Glass: La Chouffe tulip snfiter 25cl
Type: 750ml capped, vintage 2009

Poured gently, 2-finger head reduces to light film, rather runny lacing, color is clear amber-orange.

Aroma is hot, like super boozy candy. Candy for adults. Like gummy worms soaked in grain alcohol. I'm not sure if raspberry is very identifiable on the nose, but rather leathery fig and strawberry.

Taste is extremely hot. Boozy fruit candy lacking enough sweetness. This young beer needs some dust. Don't get me wrong -- this is still an enjoyable beer. It is a fruity Dogfish Head 120.

I have been looking forward to drinking this beer, and look forward to drinking some of my vintage '07s several years from now.

4.2/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer is apparently the world's strongest fruit beer. It has over a ton of Oregon and Delaware raspberries that were closed in, slowly, over a 2 month primary fermentation. It poured a beautiful deep red with a hint of orange. It smelled like sour raspberries and alcohol. It tasted sour and tart- huge raspberry flavor, malt, a bit reminiscent of a cordial. There is definitely a warming from the alcohol in this one, but it is 18% after all. This is my type of dessert! It is definitely one of my top favorite beers that I have ever tried, but I am partial to sours and raspberries.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle into my DFH goblet.

Appears a cloudy orange brown with a thin rim of head remaining.

Smells very boozy with a tart citric nip to the nose.

Taste is boozy up front and finishes out with a subtle bitter to sweet raspberry burst. Alcohol definitely cones through.

Mouthfeel is complex with a variety of bitterness and subtle sweetness to it. Again, high abv is not lost... It's a sipper.

Overall an interesting beer experience. I'm partial to a Lindeman's framboise but I'm prone to a sweet tooth when not drinking hop bombers.

3.68/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Raspberries and beer are one of my favorite combos. This caught my eye on my last trip to my favorite beer store. It wasn't until the next day when I looked at my receipt that I realized that I had paid $20 for this bottle of brew... Oh well it must be pretty good.

A - It pours a nice cloudy red. As would be expected from the heavy presence of berries in this beer.

S - It smells extremely sweet. Extremely appetizing. I had high expectations for this beer.

T - The first taste is sweet. All of the berries come through and make it etremely enjoyable. Only after you swallow do you taste the extreme alchohol taste. I guess it's hard to disguise an 18%ABV beer. This stuff will warm your soul on a cold winter day!

D - One bottle and done! I am trying my best to finish up my 22oz bottle as I write this review. Way more typos that I usually have. This stuff will light you fire. One of these with dinner will probably set you straight.

M - Again, on first taste it's rather enjoyable. I've enjoyed some rasberry lambic's in Belgium that were just as sweet but went down a little smoother. I'm not sure what they were striving for in this beer but the high alcohol content certainly shines through.

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Dogfish Head Fort pours a reddish-brown color, slightly hazy with a white head that quickly fades to a thin layer around the edge of the glass. A pretty beer in my wine glass. Aroma is sweet raspberries. Taste is like a carbonated raspberry liqueur with the faintest bit of hop bitterness in the finish to remind you that you are drinking beer. These is definitely a beverage that pushers the boundaries of beer, but does it in a good way. Champagne-like mouthfeel, and alcohol is surprisingly hidden until I feel a nice warming sensation flow down my throat. A fascinating drink.

By the way, this is a deceptively strong beer - I suggest at least one other person to share it with.

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had an eight ounce glass on draft. I didn't know what this was when it was ordered, so I was a little surprised. Surprisingly it has a fair amount of carbonation, a few little bubbles. I kinda expected it to be almost still. Definitely a wine like/still cider like character to it. I guess the fact that there is actually fermented fruit in it is not surprising. It was a nice beer, fairly interesting, but at this price I wouldn't buy it again.

4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

This pours a nice amber-red and brilliantly clear, it has a slight head and good carbonation. The aroma is simply sensational. I inhale a great big hit of bitter raspberries, My mouth is starting to water, really.
The taste is clean and dry. No doubt you are drinking a fruit beer here as the raspberries are definitely present, but don't get the wrong impression... this is no sissy fruit beer. The berries are crisp and bitter and there is very little sweetness here at all, some beautiful tartness. There is alcohol present, but it's so well complimented that you really don't know how much until you go looking for a listing (18% whoa!).
A nice light body, something I think suits this beer as opposed to a syrupy fruit beer.
What a treat. I can't wait to lay some of this down for a while and see what it's like around next Thanksgiving.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been awhile since I've reviewed but here goes. This beer was cellared two years ago, so it should be an interesting review.

Appearance: Not a huge head, but good carbonation. Hard to care what the appearance is for an atypical, a-style beer like this so who really cares?

Smell: Robust raspberry aroma mixed with mild alcoholic bite.

Taste: Alcohol more pronounced in the flavor than smell. Not surprising since it's 18% abv! A little on the hot side but the raspberries really help to balance. Little bit of a bite on the finish but not intolerable.

Mouthfeel: Unlike many raspberry beers not remotely cloying. Might be due to the alcohol cutting through sweetness/stickiness. Actually quite excellent.

Drinkability: I love this beer! It's sip-able, but also quite tasty and reminds me of a nice mix between cognac and beer.

Really what do you expect when you pour an 18% ABV? It has a bit of an alcohol bite but this shouldn't be a surprise and is ultimately the reason one buys a big beer, no?

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

SO, i'm reviewing this beer with the intent of reviewing a BEER not a port, liquor, etc.

Dogfish is my fav brewery, but i do find their "out there" beers are more of an interest than actual enjoyable drinking beverages.

Poured a hazy shade of red with a thick foamy head. SMell, literally, i slike young port. Very nice, wonderfull. Fruity, winy and sweet.

Taste..ouch...Dense, thick, sweet syrupy alcohol, very winey and "porty." Had it with 6 beer lovers and noone could finish a small glass.

Overall, interesting, but if I want port, i'd buy port...I dont know how this beer fits into a beer drinkers world, i find it a bit unpleasant to be honest. I'm usually not so harsh, but to me this is just one of those beers where it was made because it was a challenge, not because it tastes good. The first dogfish i didn't like.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours with the color of white zinfadel with a full white head. Lots of sticky lacing. The aroma is full of raspberries with some vanilla and a little oak. The vanilla is there in the taste too, backing up all of the raspberries. Also noticing a slight spiciness and maybe some candi sugar too? Champagne-like mouthfeel. Very drinkable. As my wife and I aren't too excited by champange, a couple of these will be stuck back for special occasions. This would be great with a chocolate dessert or maybe some fruit.

4.54/5  rDev +23.4%

i was pleasantly supprised by this beer. not that i though it wouldn't be good, but i suggest taking your first sip while sitting down. The first sip or two is a bit strong but with the abv that is to be expected. Very distinct orange color, with a raspberry aroma you could probably smell from a mile away. Although the taste of raspberry is very strong i thought it was neither over-powering nor over-whelming. Becafeful-for those not prepared a glass or two of this will surely have you buzzzing

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Gorgeous, I can hardly wait to drink this beer it looks so good (I write that after having drank it). Beautiful light read with perfectly accompanied head. A bit of lacing but not much.
Smells of strong berried fruits. Not specifically raspberry, but berry scent.
Cherry NightQuil. Very strong alcohol. Strong bitterness at first out of the frige. Bitterness faded and sweetness came out as it warmed up.
Remarkably smooth and fizzy at the same time. Not bad mouth feel at all.
I had two 6-8 oz glasses. I did not want any more and I'm glad because I didn't realize how much alcohol was in it.

Notes: The flavor is too much, not worth the price.

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow...this fruit beer is simply gnarly! Had this at the Dogfish Head brewmaster dinner at Bobbique. Poured into a red wine glass, it was blush colored and had a small but fine white head. Large and fumey aromas of berry alcohol. The beer is brewed with tons of raspberries but I also noted the characteristics of strawberries in there as well. Taste was extremely smooth with a tight raspberry/strawberry flavor dominating the palate with a notable hop presence too. I learned from brewery reps that the ABV is actually more often closer to 24% than 18! A very tasty brew that will knock you on your ass if you don't watch yourself. Open this bottle with friends or else!

3.47/5  rDev -5.7%

I decided to pull this one out for christmas night for a nightcap with me and the lady... Bottled in 2006, so she has a few years on her

Poured a nice copperish mahogany. Deffinatly a reddish tint to it. It poured little to NO head that disappeared very quickly. It had decent lacing too.

I thought it had a boozy wine scent to it. Strong raspberry scents poking through as well. Sweet smells.

Taste was strong raspberries right up front. Followed by very strong boooze taste. Warms the tummy though. I don't think they did a good job masking the 18%. Little too much for me. I think it was overwhelming.

This was a decent brew from DFH, but not nearly my favorite. And its deffinatly not worth the 18$ price tag either

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a cloudy amber red with no head and not much lace. Smells boozy upfront with sweet fruit. Tastes boozy right from the get go, this beer is huge with big fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is thick and slick and coats the mouth. Drinkability is obviously limited by the hug abv. I poured a glass for my roommate and still got a serious buzz. Bottom line: Tasty brew but way over the top. Make sure to split this big bottle with a friend.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 750 mL bottle and shared with friends.

A-Clear amber, with hint of pink, ...well carbonated with one-finger head,

S-Raspberries and alcohol.

T- Rather sweet raspberry syrup with strong alcohol presence all the way through. The alcohol takes over and hangs on for a long finish.

M-Medium bodied; carbonation gradually dies down, alcohol heat with syrupy feel.

O-Bold and aggressive concept. Too heavy on the alcohol when my mind is thinking raspberry. Definitely a sipper.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Purchased in Richmond Va at Carytown W&B. Poured with a slight head that disappears quickly. The smell of raspberries and alcohol come immediately from the glass.

The first sip I think this is some sort of raspberry champagne. Then the hops come out slightly and then as you breath the alcohol comes out. Nice warm feeling on the tounge, doesnt overpower the flavors though. Excellent ballance of the 3. The berry flavor seems to stay in the cheeks.

The only down for me was the body was pretty good but seemed a little heavier than I would have expected. Im not sure how much sugar was used but maybe a little less, even if it lowered the alcohol, would have been nice.

This is overall the best beer to introduce someone unlearned in the quality beer world, or even beer for that matter. It would absolutely hook anyone, including me, who didnt mind a little cha-ching for an excellent beer. Got one more Im holding on to with a Pangea for special occasions.

4.11/5  rDev +11.7%

Gave up after 4 months of cellaring and popped open the 750, served it a bit cooler than usual since I knew the two of us working this would be at it for over an hour with an AbV like this!

Poured into my tulip, a surprising orange colour. Not as red as raspberries made me think, but dark and orange. No head to talk about, but a very clear serum.

Smell is booze! After the first wave hits you, it's raspberries and perfume. Flowery and warm with a surprising characteristic I wasn't expecting - beer! From the description alone, I figured this would be a fizzy bottle of schnapps, but no, the malt is full and expressed, like a very very fine belgian. The yeast even makes a brief appearance in the nose. Fruity, yes, but meaty, too!

The taste is well, boozey. Vodka-boozey. Tart, sweet, hot. The raspberries become more floral if anything, the malt fades back, perhaps becomes more wheatey. Undertones of chalk, chocolate, and perhaps a single, solitary hop or pine needle.

Mouthfeel is only syrupy at times - I think the incredibly sweetness makes you want to describe it as thicker than it really is. Not much carbonation, sadly, but you'll get all the tingles you could want from the burning sensation! As drinkable as you'd expect, and the way the taste changs with the temperature keeps things interesting.

One to try, since I couldn't hope to accurately describe it. Worth the near-twenty dollars, and a good time even if you don't like it. Maybe we should change the term from 'hammered' to 'raspberried'.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden haze. I only poured about 3 ounces at a time, because it's so alcoholic. A slight head which dissipates quickly. Prominent lacing. Smell is overwhelmingly raspberries, and the alcohol is definitely noticeable. The taste is raspberries, alcohol, and sweetness. It has a vague Belgium-esque flavor to it, but the dominant tastes are raspberries. When it gets warm, it begins to taste a little like brandy. The mouthfeel is syrupy, and the texture too, is brandy like. Definitely a sipper, and probably perfect on a cold winter day.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a tulip glass. Nowhere on the label does it mention its 18% ABV, or indeed and ABV at all. This is bound to be an adventure.

A: Quite hazy with a color I can best describe as "grapefruit-like." Some bubbles on the pour, but almost no head to speak of.

S: A very bright tartness on the nose, with an underlying alcoholic heat. I can tell this is going to be a sipper, as I was getting slightly dizzy just smelling the damn beer.

T: Very intense sweet and sour effect initially. The alcohol is certainly noticeable, but really makes itself known in the finish. Very warming all the way down. Altogether, a taste that is both soft and cutting at the same time. Decent raspberry flavor.

M: Weighty feel, although the bright fruit character masks this somewhat. Lower end of the carbonation scale, but still enough present to keep this from getting boring. High alcohol makes for a pretty dry finish.

D: Easy there, Trigger! Take it slow and share with a friend or two. Don't make the same mistake I did (i.e. trying to finish the bottle alone!).

An interesting concept from Dogfish Head. Great tastes going on, but the high alcohol content is bound to get in the way. Sip and savor, and you'll be just fine. A fantastic beer, though a bit too pricey for my wallet ($17.99 + tax), and I doubt I'll be purchasing this again in the near future. Still, a wonderful experience!

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery