Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Ratings: 1,297 |  Reviews: 564
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

2.83/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Bright yellow-amber, with a head that is quick to settle.

S- Smells of raspberry hard candy, caramel malt, and a touch of yeast.

T- Robitussin cough syrup comes to mind, and for me this strongly negative taste association is a deal-breaker. Volatile ethanol bombs the palate with heat in between the waves of artificial/chemical fruit flavor, harsh & hot from attack to finish. Underlying sweet, salty & sour malt. Sour finish.

M- Hot mouthfeel, and slightly sticky. CO2 perfect.

D- I found Fort to have poor drinkability due to what I consider to be unpleasant flavors. Since I love Port wine, I am not offended by heat or sweet; and I do like raspberry, but to me, Fort's cough syrup flavor was not appealing.

4.42/5  rDev +20.1%

A: Pours red with almost no head

S: Lots of raspberries, cherries, and assorted berries, along with a rum raisin sort of booziness.

T: Raspberries, a sherry sort of booziness, general fruity flavors. Very nice, like a really strong lambic.

O: This is quite nice. I have to mention that this is a 2008 bottle, so with 3 years on it it's probably much less boozy than when it was fresh. Still, I like it quite a bit.

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

Picked this one up at Grape Vine Market, and split it with my Fiancée on Valentine's Day.

Split a 750ml between 2 pint glasses.

Appearance - It is hazy translucent brownish amber red color. It produced a 1 1/2 finger rocky head that lasted quite a while - good retention. It didn't leave much lacing behind, but then again, it is 18% ABV.

Smell - There is a scent here that is similar to champagne yeast, and a tartness that is very strong. There is a strong raspberry scent, as well as the overpowering scent of booze. All of the smells are tied in with the booze on this one.

Taste - I wasn't so keen on the taste of this one. It tasted like raspberries and grain alcohol, and not much else. I felt like this beer was a one trick pony. There is a tartness and a sweetness which are both closely tied to the raspberries, but the booze pretty much overpowers all of the other flavors. This beer is seriously imbalanced.

Mouthfeel - It is medium bodied. This one is lively - highly effervescent. There is a definite alcohol burn from this one.

Drinkability - I respect DFH for what they do, but I didn't like this one so much. I didn't finish it - I let my lady finish the rest of mine. It didn't go done well, and it isn't easy to drink. This was a struggle. I am glad I tried it once, but I don't ever see myself buying another 18$ bottle.

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

3.9/5  rDev +6%

Bought this over Christmas for myself and my gf to enjoy on Valentine's Day. Didn't know the ABV at the time. No wonder it was so expensive and no wonder I've never seen it in GA.

A - thick, syrupy, molasses, with off-white head

S - tart, fruity, raspberries!, hints of alcohol

T - tart, very fruity, sweet, alcohol really comes through

M - solid, smooth, nice carbonation

D - haha wow. Well, this is something I'd wanted to try and I certainly have now. Can definitely feel the alcohol. I'd buy it again perhaps next winter, but I don't know that I can rationalize the price as a student =(
Still, worth trying.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Amber in color with a copper/reddish hue. A negligible amount of head appears after a vigorous pour.

Smell is of candy sugar, alcohol and ripened fruit. Taste begins with tart, ripened berries and quickly develops into an alcohol tinged finish. Good lord alcohol is right out there. Not undrinkable, but you feel it, and the drinkability suffers as a result. I don't regret the purchase, but it will not be bought again. Share this one with friends or be prepared to be on your ass. Cheers.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

$16.67 a bottle. Bottled on 11/28/05. Pours a pinkish, rusty, cherry tinged color out of the bottle. No evidence of chill haze quite clear. A thing head remains on top fo the beer, very fine bubbles of carbonation simila to a champagne rise up from the bottom. Aroma is sweet and of berries. First sip reveals a rather light berry taste with some off flavors like a rubbing alcohol or vodka. Not overwhelming alcohol flavors but hide in the background. Mouthfeel is a little heavy but no where near what is expected for 18% ABV.

Why does this need to be 18%? I would rather enjoy a smaller bottle or a lighter ABV session beer to this. Not worth the price. I've been finding Dogfish Head is doing too many extreme beers for the sake of doing it not for a pleasant drinking experience.

I'm not even going to finish the bottle but cap it and store for later. The fruit is light in flavor so even if cellared for a while I don't know that this would taste vastly better other than a more subtle alcohol flavor.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

Bought a 750 mL bottle on Presidents Day, and opened it tonight and drank it pretty much right out of the fridge. I was considering letting it age until the summer or something but then I thought, screw it just drink it.

"Bottled on 11.28.05" Label is kinda cool.

I poured into my Orval goblet. Amber/orange with white froth that did not last long in a wide-mouthed goblet.

Smells of alcohol. Or as Michael Jackson says, "pepper." My inferior nose doesn't pick up any raspberries no matter how hard I sniff.

The taste is also warmingly alcoholic. It's like a fruit-flavored barley wine, actually. I do pick up fruit undertones, but the alcohol is so dominant. The more I drink, the more I'm reminded of cough syrup (which I hear is a placebo). It's kind of creamy as well.

At the end there's an earthy note. It's woody/grainy. And creamy. And warming, of course.

In retrospect, maybe I should have waited to open this bottle. Or let it warm up a little. It's not bad, but I'm not blown away by this ale. Although, kudos to DFH for making this so friggin' strong. Nothing wrong with that.

3.97/5  rDev +7.9%

25.6oz. bottled on 11/19/06.
I picked up two of these, one to try now and the other to age a bit. This fresh bottle poured a sun burst red with orange highlights very little head and no lacing to speak of. The smell is pretty much all raspberries. The taste follows with lots of raspberries up front and alcohol warming in the finish. The mouth feel is lightly carbonated and thickens up the more it warms. I shared a glass from this bottle and could easily drink the rest but I do not see myself turning to this again until I try my aged bottle. With that said its not one of my favorite styles to drink but I could easily recomend it to another as it is a quality brew.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One bottle shared among friends: this review is from notes.

This bottle was brewed in 2005.

A-Light amber with a slight dark purple and ruby tint. 1/4 inch head with big white rings of lace.
S-Big sweet malts, ripe red fruit (raspberry of course)...light alcohol, fruity yeast, and this beer really opens up as it warms.
T- Sweet raspberry balanced by alcoholic bitterness...light floral hops, and light raspberry and light alcohol in the finish .
M/D- Delicious and well balances. Strong and thick...not overly sweet....medium bodied, bubbly and very complex....a bottle I would definitely purchase again even at the $19 dollar price tag.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%