World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

Ratings: 4,824 |  Reviews: 1,772
Reviews by JoninVT:
4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with two fingers of caramel/chocolate-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Wow! Massive, rich, complex, earthy, inviting, bready, aromas of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, some freshly roasted coffee beans, and a touch of smoke. There is also a lot of aromas of brown sugar and toffee, dark molasses, dark chocolate, salted caramel and a hint of licorice and vanilla.

Taste: Wow! Just, wow! A fantastically delicious beer! Strong, rich, complex, earthy, inviting, bready, flavors of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, some freshly roasted coffee beans, and a touch of smoke. There are also a lot of brown sugar and toffee, dark molasses, dark chocolate, salted caramel and a hint of licorice and vanilla. Finally, there is quite a bit of dried cherries and prune-like flavors.

Mouthfeel: Chewy and extremely smooth as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 18%, there is a pleasant alcohol warmth on the palate, but much less of one than I was expecting. The alcohol is very, very well masked.

Overall: This is a spectacular stout! Earthy, rich, complex, roasty, malty, slightly fruity and sweet, and absolutely delicious! World Wide Stout is one of the best non-barrel-aged stouts I’ve had, certainly up there with Avery’s the Czar and Out of Bounds Stout, Evil Twin’s Love You with My Stout, Sierra Nevada’s Stout, Founders’ Imperial Stout, Great Lakes’ Blackout Stout, Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy, etc. Another stellar beer from Dogfish Head! I love this brewery!

3.91/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle Stamped 11/17/09, consumed from a snifter on 3/6/15

I'm just going to get right to the point here. For being 5.5 years old, it's solid. I had the same beer last night, the 2014 version, and I must say that this aged version is more enjoyable but has its faults as well.

First off, it's a lot smoother, and more well rounded. However, in the middle of the taste I get a plastic flavor before the sweetness and alcohol flavors come through. The finish is warming, almost a slight burn. Tastes of molasses, caramel, burnt sugar, mild chocolate. The smell has a slight sourness to it however it does not come through in the taste.

My cellar was inconsistent for a year or so, temperatures ranging from 70 down to 50, was exposed to light for a day or 2 as well during moving into a new house. With that being said, I expected soured and skunked, so I was pleasantly surprised when I opened it and found how much of the original, complex flavor it has retained. In my opinion, I would not go past the 5.5 years, assuming it might have peaked around 4.5 years. Just my 2¢. Felt an obligation to the beer community to report these findings, hopefully someone finds them to be a bit of help or guidance.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz brown bottle with the words “vim & vigor” crossed out with a black marker. Packaged in date notched on the side of the label.

Appearance: Fizzy with a soda like crackling, no head above the pitch black brew … with the higher alcohols it is not a surprise. Thin film clings to the glass as it is swirled around. Can’t really knock the head too much, these are the kinds of beer that thrive elsewhere.

Smell: Gargantuan solvent fumes permeate the nostrils. Creamy vanilla, smells of aged port with some wood tones as well as some chocolate and roasted notes … chocolate covered raisins?

Taste & Mouthfeel: The little carbonation that was there is mostly knocked out from the pouring. Super creamy and slightly syrupy with a drawn-out slickness. Extremely prominent alcohol character but not too much to handle, seems a bit together and mellow after a few sips. Hints of chocolate and charcoal (barrel pitch). Bourbon in a woody vanilla way entangles the palate with a creamy sweetness and the alcohol infiltrates the soul as it slowly warms the body.

Drinkability & Notes: Right up there with Samuel Adams Utopias MMII, worth the $9 a bottle. I’ll be buying more of this and saving them for dismal weather days. High regards to the brewers for putting such a unique and stellar brew into the market.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Bottled 1/25/14 and poured 2/1/15 for Super Sunday. $11 single which is about on-par with what a bottle costs.

Appearance: Hard pour surprised me with a two finger, creamy brown head. The beer didn't look nearly as black/viscous as I thought it might on the pour. World Wide Stout is indeed black, but there's a ruby tint around the edges. Eventually there's a slight ring around the glass with no lacing on the glass.

Smell: I think I got a buzz just from smelling this beer. Insane. You'd think this was barrel aged with its insane aroma. Rich caramel, subtle coffee, sweet milk chocolate, alcohol, and a definite barrel-without-the-barrel vanilla quality. Beautiful, sweet beer, and one of the best stouts I've ever put my nose to.

Taste/feel: Only a true craft beer aficianado could appreciate this brew, in my opinion... this is an absolutely ginormous beer, unsurprisingly. Hard to really even describe what I'm tasting first with this beer because it's all there at once. Massive alcohol all over in this one, make no mistake -- even with a year of age on it, it's super pungent. The alcohol with the sweet malt and bitterness all thrown together almost puts forward a somewhat... salty flavor? I've gotten that in some high ABV stouts before, so this isn't the first. For other flavors, rich, huge roasted malts that give off a bit of a chocolate and coffee vibe. There's the usual essence of dark fruit there, too. I'm not really getting a huge amount of depth, but I am getting, of course, a huge amount of flavor from this 18% brew. The finish is dry, dry, dry -- I swear I can feel the alcohol drying off my tongue after the sip.

The mouth feel is surprisingly... light? It's about a medium bodied beer with a moderate-ish amount of carbonation. Maybe it's a good thing that this beer isn't too heavy, because it's already incredibly sweet and boozy at its ABV.

A legendary beer, without a doubt. As said by Dogfish Head, this really is almost more like a port than a beer due to its insane presence of alcohol on the tongue and with its warmth. As it warms, this beer really morphs into something special: cocoa, insane in-your-face alcohol, barrel-without-the-barrel woodiness... wow. Wow, wow, wow. I have another bottle of this that I will sit on for a handful of more years to see just how much it changes... hard to believe it could get much better than this. Indeed, one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle date 1-28-14 poured into a waterford crystal snifter on 3-4-15. I've had this beer at varying times in its lifespan, but I felt like this was very close to the sweet spot. Pours pitch black with a creamy head. Smell of caramel, chocolate, booze. Taste follows suit, booze adds a beautiful finish. I know this gets a bit mellower with time, but I love the booze backing being more prominent. A fantastic beer and a top 3 stout for me.

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just pulled this one from the cellar yesterday. Bottle was packaged on: 11/17/09.
What a difference almost 5 years made on this. The aroma smelled like a a bottle of high end dark rum. But the taste was completely different. Chocolate and molasses right at the front of the tongue. With hints of dark fruit that lingered on the palate and a quick subtle boozy burn after swallowing. Even though it smelled exactly like a bottle of rum, there was no taste of rum at all. It was so smooth, especially considering this was a 18 ABV. Comepletely amazed by how well it aged. Do yourself a favor and buy two next time you get a chance, drink one and age one. Or age both. It was so worth the wait.

4.94/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance – Black as night with a small but persistent tan head.

Smell – Aye, caramba! Yes, there’s some alcohol in this stout. Once you get past that there’s a lovely port fragrance complimented with pure, quality chocolate (it smells like a chocolate factory in San Francisco) and ripe, fresh dark fruits. The apricot and watermelon aroma is prominent along with black cherries and tobacco.

Taste – This is tremendous. The alcohol from the nose takes a back seat to the excellent flavors of this stout. The rich, aged port and dark malt flavors are a match made in heaven. This is mixed with unsweetened cranberries (have you ever tasted that?), big, huge, luscious cherries, pure Florida freshly-squeezed orange juice, a touch of pineapple and coconut, and best of all a peach/apricot combo that is out of this world.

I can’t go on enough, and this is the very first sip. After I’m plastered from the bottle I’m sure I’ll ramble. This is an amazing blend of all the flavors I’ve mentioned. The bready malt especially is mature and well-blended. This is a quality product.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation and fuller than full in the mouth. There’s really no alcohol sting in the mouth. This is a terrific mix of flavors that give the mouth a smooth, creamy and chewy texture.

Drinkability – No, you can’t drink a six-pack of this every night (although I’d like to). Be calm yet controlling. This is a masterpiece and it’s a shame that its brilliance will be lost in the myriad and continual references to its high ABV.

Comments – A big, “Muchas Gracias,” to my fellow BA JREITMAN for giving me a bottle of this tremendous Dogfish Head offering. BA Buddies are the best!

True black with a uber thing milk chocolate skim. Surprisingly vinous and Belgian like aroma of raisons, figs, plums, and prunes. Not much booze present in aroma at all. Very sugar loaded sweet taste but ABV is well concealed, too well…Very fruity, smooth, and deceivingly light. Alcohol warms mouth, throat, stomach, chest, and keeshkas. Perhaps the most warming beer I’ve tasted. Smooth flavors of vanilla, toasted malt, and bittersweet chocolate are persistent but mellow. Some wood and cream are present and along with a touch of syrup, but just a touch…far less than one would expect in a beer of this strength. Very impressive and dangerously drinkable. DFH deserves respect for this. Overall, however, flavors and aromas are not as interesting or complex as many other 2x stouts with far less of an ABV.

...hey, i just noticed. This is review # 500 for me. Not a bad beer for the occasion.

4.51/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a 11/2009 vintage on March of 2014 to celebrate my new job. Was laying in my cellar for far too long and was supposed to be opened for my graduation in 2012. Oh well, a few years won't hurt this one!

Pours oily black. Like an abyss or a black hole. A slight brown head appears. Smell is super rich, boozy, and inviting. First sip in and I'm in love. Almost 5 years of age has done this beer good. God, so many flavors. Molasses, coffee, chocolate, brandy, fig, it's all mixed in there. Some roasted qualities but overall this is the Tsar Bomba of stouts. What really gets me is the feel. Can I say this is very drinkable at ~18%? I had trouble drinking 120 Minute IPA, but NOT this one. Overall just incredible. If I find another bottle I will definitely let it sit for 5 years just to enjoy this experience again. Wow.

4.16/5  rDev +0.5%

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in snifter
Bottled 11/17/09

This beer pours black and is topped with an inch of fleeting mocha head that leaves no traces that it ever existed.

The smell is fruity. I get dark fruits like plum and dark cherry. The alcohol is still apparent. I also detect some chocolate.

The taste is falls in line with the aroma. I get chocolate and dark fruit flavors with a healthy dose of alcohol. It still tastes like I could light it on fire.

Full, warming mouthfeel

I was hoping the alcohol would have mellowed after seven years. It is still boozy. I enjoyed the warming effect on a cold winter night. The flavor of chocolate and dark fruit was nice, too.

2.89/5  rDev -30.2%

Looks like a i Perelman stout, but stops there. Smells like sugar, tastes so sweet that I think a lot of sugar was dropped in t bottling, very little roast flavor. Feels like syrup. Overall extremely disappointing.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

2016 Bottle.
Poured into a tulip glass and witnessed very little head, that quickly receded. The smell is quite boozy with hints of chocolate and some sort of sweetness. Its very delicate on the palate, despite the fact that it has a monster ABV. I get hints of liquor soaked chocolate and a indescribable sweetness. I think this beer needed to sit in the cellar for awhile longer. With that said, I do enjoy this beer, however its not my favorite. I think the 92 score it has on BA is fair and thats probably where I would place it too. I am starting to get this feeling that Dogfish Head is rushing beer out to the consumer before it is ready. I wish they would slow down and release the beer when its at its best, not when its ready to sell.

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very nice beer. Honestly would have never known it was around 18% nice chocolate flavor. Smooth feel for being a high abv beer. I was surprised the beer even made a head. Definitely my favorite DFH beer.

1.86/5  rDev -55.1%

Poured into DFH Signature glass on 3/12/12

Bottled on 11/14/08

Pours a medium dark brown and though it's quite dark in the glass, grape juice colored highlights are deeply entwined throughout. I was surprised by the nearly two finger head of foam topped with loose bubbles. However, the head drops and retention is thin with a few clumps of lace.

Sugars and such overrun the aroma. While there are toasted overlays, most of it is just stick-sweet and burnt. Molasses, brown sugar, prune, raisins, and some dusty cocoa. There are other tones as well - baked bread (alright) and air freshener (not alright). Swirling the glass dredges up a alcohol note similar to nail polish remover.

One sip is all it takes for the heavy, boozy alcohol to swarm the palate. Burnt molasses and prunes take up most of what's left. Too sweet and too messy. Weavings of oxidation.

The feel is odd. Aside from being taxed by the gnarly booze, it's wrought with sticky sugars that make the body seems more pronounced than it really is (it's not particularly full). Alcohol slickness is a pale substitute for proper viscosity.

The alcohol is far too harsh and makes for an unpleasant taste and feel. Beyond that, this thing just doesn't taste very good at all.

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours jet black with a quickly dissipating head that turns to a little ring which leaves some lacing behind as it works it's way down the snifter.

Aroma is spectacular. Sweetness like a syrup or molasses, chocolate, roasted malt, almost oatmeal like, and a wonderful alcohol that is sort of port, sherry, or brandy in nature.

Taste is impressive too. Not as much as the nose, but the bar was high. Deep dark chocolate or cocoa with some bitterness, deep roasted/slightly burnt malt grains. Defiantly a noticeable alcohol burn (the good kind), also sweetness, some black licorice I believe (which looking back, is noticeable in aroma). I would call this medium bodied for a RIS.

Overall, this is a beast of a beer that despite the high ABV (18-20%), is still quite balanced and drinkable. Your nose suggests that it is barrel aged in some way even though it is not. World Wide is world class. Glad I had the chance to try it, and would recommend that everyone does regardless of cost.

Edit: had a 2010 bottle in Feb of '16. Very strong aroma of brandy or a port wine with a lot of cherry flavor coming through. A bit of sourness. May be slightly oxidized since the carbonation seems to have turned prickly. The alcohol is very, very mellow. Much stronger on the nose than flavor. The roasted malts are a little subdued now, but it works.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 2011-Poured into snifter

A-Jet black with toffee 1/2" head that quickly subsides. thick lacing that quickly runs down the side of the glass

S-Chocolate, roasted malts, anise, caramel, burnt coffee, bourbon The roasted chocolate and anise seem to be the dominant aromas.

T-bold flavors that explode upon the first sip. Warm alcohol burn that you get with a bourbon. The anise stands out with some roasty dark chocolates and coffee. Chocolate/coffee flavors linger during the finish. Some woody notes

M-Full bodied with some alcohol burn slightly more carbonation than you would expect with a stout of the magnitude...as the beer warms the carb and alcohol mellow slightly

O-great tasting brew that drinks like an Imp Stout with far less alcohol. Good flavor profile and the tastes blend well

3.19/5  rDev -22.9%

Holy ethanol batman! Maybe I happened upon a bad batch, but this was way too harsh and burned the way down. Alcohol masked many of the flavors. Will try again next year however.

2.21/5  rDev -46.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2

This is pretty bad
Overpriced and over hyped in my opinion... not sure if some reviewers here are just rating this positively because its "cool" to like high ABV beer or because they feel ashamed they paid so much money for it and feel guilty not rating it highly. Then again maybe my tastebuds aren't "sophisticated" enough.

Pours a roasted brown color with a two finger, dark tan head that leaves no lacing.
Aroma smells okay. I'm getting lots of booze, soy sauce, brown sugar, pine resin and bitter dark chocolate.

Flavor is disappointing.
It's very, very sweet with little balance and complexity. Lots of warmth from the alcohol, which I don't mind, but I'm just getting flavors of soy sauce and maybe a tiny bit of chocolate raisins here and there.

Mouthfeel is heavy with low carbonation. Slimy, sticky and noticeably alcoholic. Offensive to the palate.

Overall I was expecting something creamier, with more distinguishable characteristics that shine in their own right and don't compete for the spotlight against one another- this is just my opinion but everything is just kinda mishmashed together here with very little balance or harmony.

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

$ 33.00 (Including tax)/4pack ($ 0.687/oz) at Franklin Beer, Franklin, PA.
Bottled 11/01/16, stored at 42 degrees. Served in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter at 60 degrees.
Aroma – predominately licorice, some roasted malt.
Head small (Maximum < one cm, aggressive pour), light brown, average density and fizzy, rapidly diminishing to a two mm ring and no layer.
Lacing – none.
Body – dark brown/black, opaque.
Flavor – alcohol DEFINITELY present as it warms then ravages in my mouth – not quite as bad as 190 proof lab alcohol but still extremely present. Fortunately the licorice, figs, and date flavors moderate this and coat my oral epithelial cell receptors saving them from instant dehydration and death. Otherwise, not too shabby. No hops have the balls to appear.
Palate – full, syrupy, soft carbonation.

Holy crap, this is good – one and my head is fuzzy! I might as well be drinking Absinthe – same licorice flavor and brain confusion! This is one good imperial stout and demonstrates what can be done without (I think) additives. The price point seems high initially until you see that that’s only $ 15.11/ bomber which is about average for the higher octane brews.

Appearance 4, Aroma 4.25, Flavor 4.25, Palate 4.25, Overall 4.25.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Wow this pours a jet black color with a light almost non existant head,aroma is very sweet and alcoholic.The taste is very sweet up front with some nutty tones in the middle,very roasted finish.A marshmellow-like flavor also lingers with the alcohol showing thru as it warms.A one and done beer for sure.

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

On tap at the Oak cafe. Pours jet black, virtually no light is allowed to pass through this sucker. Tan head made of fine bubbles, about a half-inch, settles somewhat quickly to a ring and leaves a tiny bit of lacing as it does down. This brew looks like a widow-maker, appearing heavy, thick, and robust.

A deep java aroma is the first thing to hit my nose; super deep espresso flavor with a nice helping of creamy, malty sweetness. Alcohol is noticeable in the aroma, not too surprising for an 18% ABV brew. Some chocolate and charred, roasted notes bring up the tail end. The first sip provides a warm, alcoholic bite. Again, to be expected from a beer with such a high ABV. However, I would never guess it was 18%... maybe more like 10 or 11%. The alcohol takes on a bourbon-whiskey type flavor. The backbone of the beer is woodsy; burnt, charred oak chips, vanilla hints, and a wine-like essence come crashing through. Ripe, dark figs, black berries, and slight anise provide a sweetness to battle the alcohol's warmth and it works quite well. Dark mocha cocoa powder shows up near the end, along with some light, peppery hops. The beer is all about the malt, though, and while it's relatively sweet, the warmth and robust power does a good balancing job in place of a huge hop bill. Body is medium-heavy, not quite as thick as expected, but not a bad thing. Smooth and not too sticky, either.

Surprisingly easy to drink for an 18% ABV beer. The alcohol isn't hidden - it's certainly there, and definitely powerful, but it never becomes a problem, and it goes hand in hand with the incredible malt concoction. Glad I finally got a chance to try this one.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%