World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

#905
Liked:
4.22/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,873 |  Reviews: 1,792

A: Rich, bright dark coffee brown under a 1” tan foam collar that dissipates to a thick film.
S: Dark dried fruit, traces of coffee, chocolate, and a hint of tartness.
T: Creamy complex blend of prunes, raisins, chocolate and coffee with a bitter chocolate finish.
M: Big, luscious creamy chewy body with below average carbonation.
O: This beer has stealth alcohol – no way does it drink like it has 18% abv.

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with two fingers of caramel/chocolate-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Wow! Massive, rich, complex, earthy, inviting, bready, aromas of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, some freshly roasted coffee beans, and a touch of smoke. There is also a lot of aromas of brown sugar and toffee, dark molasses, dark chocolate, salted caramel and a hint of licorice and vanilla.

Taste: Wow! Just, wow! A fantastically delicious beer! Strong, rich, complex, earthy, inviting, bready, flavors of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, some freshly roasted coffee beans, and a touch of smoke. There are also a lot of brown sugar and toffee, dark molasses, dark chocolate, salted caramel and a hint of licorice and vanilla. Finally, there is quite a bit of dried cherries and prune-like flavors.

Mouthfeel: Chewy and extremely smooth as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 18%, there is a pleasant alcohol warmth on the palate, but much less of one than I was expecting. The alcohol is very, very well masked.

Overall: This is a spectacular stout! Earthy, rich, complex, roasty, malty, slightly fruity and sweet, and absolutely delicious! World Wide Stout is one of the best non-barrel-aged stouts I’ve had, certainly up there with Avery’s the Czar and Out of Bounds Stout, Evil Twin’s Love You with My Stout, Sierra Nevada’s Stout, Founders’ Imperial Stout, Great Lakes’ Blackout Stout, Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy, etc. Another stellar beer from Dogfish Head! I love this brewery!

2003 bottling.
Appearance: Insideous, inky-dark, light-sucking blackness... as if peering into the depth of the hoary netherworld. More carbonation than I expected, with a slightly broken 1/8" creamy espresso cap and generous smatterings of gooey, drippy lace.
Smell: Malt,malt,malt! Roasty/toasty/smokey. Fusel alcohol menaces but does not overpower. Licorace, espresso/french roast coffee, candied dark fruits. A distinct buttery/banana softness rounds out the initial alcohol harshness. Hints of bitter chocolate, and oakey/vinous notes. Superb!
Taste & Mouthfeel: STUNNING! This is perhaps the most intriguing brew taste I've encountered. Are we sure this isn't Imperial Stout? Viscous, lush, chewey (knife/fork/lobster-bib chewey) sweet creamy malt with caramelized/burnt sugars, candied/alcohol stewed raisins, plums, cherries at the front. Carbonation level is low and finely bubbled... perfection. The top is rich with malt slickness and a burning then soothing alcohol warmth. Although my unworthy palate couldn't detect the hops, I trust they are there as the finish dries considerably leaving a soothing warmth, oaky/roast coffee bitterness and semi-dry molasses/plum aftertaste.
Drinkability: Based on what I'd read about this beer, I was afraid of it. I can honestly say that I could not put it down and was constantly aware that the 12 ounces would soon be over. Entirely drinkable... I will buy as many more as I can afford tomorrow. This beer (in any vintage I can find) will be my Christmas & New Year's choice for years to come. If it were possible to rate it higher, I would. Dogfish Head... you guys are gods (I'm not worthy!). Beer review #100 for me: I couldn't have made a better choice. Excuse me, I have to go change and take up smoking...

Oh boy, here we go. $7.29 12oz bottle pours a deep brown with the thinnist of heads disappearing almost immediately. Yes. Aromas of port, cherries, ginger, fig, other assorted spices. Absolutely wonderful. Extremely thick with minimal carbonation. The first sip sends a wave of rich malt and alcohol goodness through my mouth and down the throat. Toasted malt, bitter chocolate, prunes, cherries, grape... the flavors go on and on. Strong alcohol presence, but nowhere near indicative of the 23%. after 2 sips and my entire body is melting into a relaxed state. Sticky sweetness in the finish. There is no choice but to sip this one. What I liked best is that this expensive little bottle at first seems so unassuming. Only after the first sip do you realize the beast that has just been unleashed.

Look up 'aroma' in the dictionary and there should be a picture of this stout. Taste is not too far behind. Yee haw!

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery