World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

#910

Ratings: 4,885 |  Reviews: 1,795

1.06/5  rDev -74.9%

Vintage 2010

A: Pours black as night with excellent clarity. Despite vigorous pour, not much head production. Collar of chocolate milk foam.

S: I, um, have tried this beer on three occasions. And I always get a weird grape laffy taffy nose mixed with harsh alcohol. Spicy at the back end.

T: wow, the alcohol is almost unbearable. The esters in here are also quite offensive. I just can't understand how people enjoy this beer. I can't wrap my head around it.

M: For the style - thin as black coffee. Plenty of carb. My mouth waters, but in the format that the beer makes me want to vomit.

O: I just can't do this. DFH puts out some of the best and most innovative beers in the United States, but this is shit for me.

1.12/5  rDev -73.5%

Well since I suffered through a bottle of this I guess I might as well review it. Not much else to say other than malt and sweetness that was totally overwhelming. I'm usually not one to ask for more hops, but this beer needed them. I generally like stouts and porters and tend to stay away from IPA's and other 'hoppier' beers.

A- Appearance was average, just really dark.

S- Alcohol and...some more alcohol

T- Sweet syrup and...alcohol. Nothing complex like one usually finds in porters and stouts.

M- Left a syrupy residue that I had to wash out with some Alaskan Amber.

D- If I hadn't paid nine bucks for this I wouldn't have finished it.

1.25/5  rDev -70.4%

1.4/5  rDev -66.8%

2005 vintage bottle, poured at cellar temperature into an oversized snifter.

Fizzy short-lived skim of a tan head that soon is nothing more than a thin circle of bubbles around the rim of the glass. No lacing. Body at first seems near black, but held up to light reveals some reddish highlights.

Very sweet nose. Chocolate-covered cherries seem to be the primary aroma, with vanilla and something along the lines of corn syrup. A bit of dry cocoa mercifully provides a minor bit of relief from all the sugar, but it's not very appetizing.

Unsurprisingly, it tastes every bit as sweet as it smells, possibily moreso. The dominant cherry character now is more remiscent of cherry cola. This is a beer seriously in need of some toasted and burnt malt flavors. Again, vanilla and a general syrupy sweetness. Clingy/syrupy mouthfeel 'enhances' the overwhelmingly sweet experience. On a positive note, the alcohol is quite well integrated; even at this high ABV, it's not hot at all.

Overall impression: I'm just not into sugar bomb beers, and wouldn't recommend this one. It may be less hot aged than fresh, but it sure as hell isn't any less sweet. Took me an hour to drink half before I drainpoured the rest.

1.42/5  rDev -66.4%

Pours a deep pitch black color with a thin brown head and no lacing. Smells of rum raisins and hot messy alcohol. Not much else. A little rum raisin in the taste and then a huge burst of A1 Sauce or soy sauce. Maybe the beer needs a lot of age or something to become palatable. Mouthfeel is fine but drinkability is poor.

1.48/5  rDev -64.9%

This is a candidate for the worst beer I've ever tasted. (American macros notwithstanding).

A- Looks good, but not much head.

S- Smells like nail-polish remover. How appetizing is that?

T- I first tried it in a British mug, then poured it into a North Coast Brewing Co. brandy snifter-style glass. It tasted sickly sweet and awful, either way. Way too much alcohol. Warming it doesn't help.

M- For the supposed style, it didn't have much mouthfeel.

D- I am a huge fan of Imperial Stouts, (Old Rasputin is my favorite), Barley Wines (Bigfoot rules!), and Belgian Strong Ales (Trois Pistoles, Chimay Blue, Gulden Draak). This is the opposite of any of those, in quality.

So far, I have hardly been impressed by Dogfish Head. Bigger isn't always better. This is truly a low-point in my beer tasting.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery