World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

Reviews: 1,709 | Ratings: 4,567
4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours black as night with almost no head.

Very nice aroma. Chocolate flavors are most prominent with rum and alcohol also making guest appearances.

The first flavor is sweetness, surprisingly. Alcohol also comes in, but very mildly, considering the ABV. I also picked up some fruitiness, like cherries and plums, dark fruits. The general flavor of this is sweetness, kind of surprising. A moderate bitterness level from the malt.

The alcohol is actually very well hidden. Good job by DFH for pushing the limit like this. I couldn't drink this with much frequency, but it is good on those special occasions.

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

Got this one for $6 at the homebrew store.Poured a black brew with a small dark tan head that faded into a ring around the glass which left a little bit of lace on the glass as i drank the beer. Rich aroma full of alcohol and roasted malt. The flavor blew me away as it was sweet exactly like a barleywine. The taste lingered until it finished into a clean roasted flavor that was perfectly balanced. I was very pleased by how long the flavor lasted as it was very enjoyable as the extremely high alcohol content warmed my throat all the way to my stomach. The beer feels very viscous on the tongue and carries a smooth mouthfeel with a light tingle from the carbonation. World Wide Stout is very much at home in the world of high alcohol ales as it's body and alcohol remind one of a barleywine but it's rich roasted flavors take the style of Imperial Stout to new extremes.

2.87/5  rDev -30.7%

Vodka. Cognac. Rotting prunes. Melon syrup. Vintage port. Flabby alcohol and stern hops -- floral, overripe citrus, lingering green leaves. Insufficient dark malt hovers in the finish with no significant roasted bite. The hops have overtaken, fighting out to the death with bracingly distillate but clean alcohol. Fudge fights through.

There's no question of this beer's power, but its residual sugars become taxing without the roast behind them. This isn't one-dimensional, but it is quite simple, showcasing stout's most hedonistic traits with nothing of what's tried and true. This might as well be a Belgian strong dark ale, with which this has much more in common.

Great body driven by raw alcohol instead of malt, allowing the finish to be much-needingly dry. Not even close to ready yet, but without an assertive malt presence, I doubt it will ever be worth the wait. Empty calories. Ow, my head.

Relax, relax.

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: This beer scored low in appearance because there was almost no head. The head that was there was very thin and faded away very quickly.

Smell: A lot of roasted malt and molasses in the nose. Slight hint of alcohol. A lot less alcohol than I expected in this.

Taste: This Imperial Stout was wonderful. There was a lot of coffee, molassess, and raisin in the stout. There were all blended very good. The alcohol really did not show, it was dangerously smooth.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was great. It felt like an imperial stout. I thought that the mouthfeel would be thin because of the amount of alcohol but it wasn't. A very good beer.

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Got this one for $8.49 at Town and Country in West Springfield, MA. I actually made a special trip to get this and 120 Minute IPA, and what an expensive trip it was for two bottles.

It poured a VERY dark brownish-black, nearly opaque. The head was rather low.

The aroma surprised me... I could smell rich, sweet roasted malt, but for something of this ABV the alcohol aroma was not very pronounced. To me, that's how it's supposed to be done. There was some lingering fruitiness, bu the kind danced just at the edge of detection.

The taste... WOW! I expected it to be knock-you-on-your-ass powerful. I was wrong. It was remarkably smooth with apple and caramel notes, and the roasted character was not overly strong. It was very well balanced. And the alcohol was, again, not too prominent. But I could tell how strong it was... it was very warming going down. And I had to sip this one slowly... the taste was that big.

Of course, after drinking it sitting down watching WWE (my other weakness), it made standing and walking to the kitchen an interesting experience.

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Careful with this beer. Its expensive to get addicted to.

Pours dark as a jolt cola - NEY! Darker! There is a thin layer of dark head that is filled with fine bubbles, promissing a smooth taste.

The smell is a nice mix of sweet and roasted malts and alcohol. Very balanced nose on this beer. It would warm you up to smell this beer if you were cold, and make you sweat if you weren't.

The flavor is extremely round! It has a semi-syrupy quality that carries with it a truly robust flavor of alcohol, barley, and malts - all of which collide in a fantastic array of nummyness! The flaovr really lasts on this beer. One sip can seriously last for several minutes - but I wasn't able to wait it out and had to go back for another drink of it.

My friend David summed up the body saying "you can take the most miniscule sip and it fills your mouth". So true - the consistency of the beer is very big - it just takes over the tongue and mouth and overruns the taste buds with fun!

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

Pitch black with a thin dark tan head, viscous.

Port wine and molasses. Burnt sugar, coffee. Complex aromas.

A bitter sweetness is the first sensation on the tongue, followed by a warmth of alcohol that pervades the mouth. Flavors of sherry, raisins, and mocha throughout. This is some potent stuff, DFH says it is more drinkable than last years, but I'm not convinced. More than one of these, and you'll be hurting. Worth the effort of seeking out and quaffing though.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

As luck would have it, I found this while on vacation. That is almost the only justification I had for paying so much for this. From the bottle, I poured into a snifter. The pour was a thick, oily black as night liquid, with a very thin tan head, which disappeared quickly. Swirling the glass brough back a slight head as time wore on. Not much lace as this one was drank, perhaps the alcohol burned it off. Smells like dark fruit (plums, raisins), were present. Smells pretty strong! Taste is in the beginning a coffee note, followed by plums, dark bread, rum and figs. This is no doubt a full-bodied beer, extra full and chewy to be precise. No carbonation in this thing. Overall, very interesting. This wasn't really my cup of tea, but I do appreciate it. Very complex, there are tastes that you could equate to beer, and others more like a port wine. I thought the alcohol was very noticable. A treat that I certainly could not have very often, but I am glad I tried it.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%

Shared at a tasting with ratebeerians Ernest and Aubrey.

Thanks Aubrey.

The 2001 was much different than the 2003 I have grown accustomed to.

With very little carbonation to start with, the aging took nearly all carbonation away and this poured with only a few brown bubbles. Black in the snifter, it was still beautiful.

This changed a lot due to the cellaring. The sweetness was up a lot. As was the dark fruit notes, especially the flavor of burnt prunes. Other dark fruit notes were evident as well with hints of port wine, mollasses, chocolate, tar and coffee. The aging also eliminated all traces of the 18% alcohol and took away even the "hotness" down the throat.

I really enjoyed this one.

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

Wow. This is truly an exceptional creation. I've been kind of down on DFH recently but this one puts them back in my favor. I'll never figure out how they can get such a monster of a beer to seem be so subtle. 21% abv for this beer, but you wouldn't know it. I might have guessed 8-10%. The masking of the alcohol is only the beginning, however, as the taste is unique and very flavorful. Chocolate dominates the taste along with alcohol. The mouthfeel might be the most remarkable aspect as it is completely smooth and unoffensive.

The bottom line: try this beer, especially if you like imperial stouts. It's certainly something any beer lover should experience.

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

The beer pours a fizzy head. The dissipation of said head sounds just like a glass of cola.
The flavor is very remarkable. Just so many tastes to pick up on. I detected a tart berry presence, maybe blackberry, currant. And also a raisin or fig flavor was present. Then there was a molasses, and brandy flavor that must be noted.
The alcohol in this stout is warming as all hell. It barely resembles any stout i've ever had.
The mouthfeel is that of an alcohol bite, followed by some oily clinging to the palate.
All in all i'm very glad to have had this. I would like to see what this beer would be like after 10-20 years of solitary confinement in the basement.
This beer really defies logic. Consider the envelope pushed.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Pours a beautiful black with a bit of beige head barely covering the surface of the beer. Sugary sweet alcohol burns the nostrils. The first sip (and this is definitely a sipping beer) tingles on the tongue and the alcohol invades even the sinuses (if you allow it). The sweet, malty taste gives way to a dark chocolate (70% at least) finish that lasts longer than the warming sensation which spreads slowly throughout the entire body. Drinkablility is hard to define with this beer, because it depends so much upon the context (half the bottle would be a perfect nightcap, or one could pair it with a decadent dessert). Overall, an excellent example of the diversity of beer, a perfect pairing for the appropriate occasion.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance: Pours a deep brown, but not necessarilly black. I took it from a balloon burgundy glass. I poured it in with force but the lace of bubbles disappears as quickly as they appeared. That means no head. Mmm, looks very sultry, has a slight bit of light coming through. The anticipation is killing me.

Smell: Wow. Vinous alcohol and rich esters of plum and raisins. Figs and, well more alcohol. 23%, duh. It's got to be in there. I actually got a whiff as soon as I popped the cap.

Taste: Wow. That's something else. Not very stout like at all. It strikes me much closer to a belgian strong ale. Very sweet malted barley, almost too sweet. Toffee. Figs and Rasins. Brown Sugar. Vanilla. Chocolate. There is slight bitterness, but not as much hopfeel as I might have liked to balance the sweetness. It's somewhat weak in terms of hopfeel, which I find to be a big factor in Imperial Stouts. But, really as I continue to drink this, I like the sweetness and the lack of the bitter bite. Wow. This really makes you think. I'm sure this could stand in a cellar forever and get a new nuance each year. This is really very good, just not very Imperial Stout-like.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly good. Not as cloying as I'd expect. Very sweet and yummy. Still, borderline as far as beer goes. Lack of carbonation makes this a slow sipper.

Drinkability: I can't fault it for being somewhat difficult to throw back. It's not made to be drinkable in the sense that you'd want to put a six pack away. I think it's very drinkable in the sense that each sip leaves you wanting more. Definitely warming. I am very impressed. $10 a bottle will keep me from buying lots, but wow. I'm sold on this one. Absolutely great what the DFH guys keep doing to push the envelope.

3.45/5  rDev -16.7%

Had to coerce even a minimal amount of tan head to show itself. Dark brown to black; opaque black in the glass.
Aroma of alcohol is quite evident. Dark fruits such as raisin and roasty malt underneath the alcohol.

Taste shows an extremely rich, sweet, lightly roasty malt backbone. Quite spicey. Chocolate, dark fruit and of course alcohol.

Full bodied with a slick, oily mouthfeel.
Drinkability: about as drinkable as a 23% ABV beer can be I guess.

Overall, this one is obviously unique. Mouth puckering, yet tastey and good at the same time. Not very beer like, but enjoyable. Huge thanks to stegmakk for the bottle!

4.72/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Deep dark ruby brown it's hard to believe as thick as it pours that this beer let's any light through, nice tan head leaves specks of sporadic lacing throughout the snifter. Aroma: Rich orgy of an aroma here brings forth it's alcohol fortitude yes but that's not the end of this one. Spicy notes in the nature of a spiced rum deep chocolate abyss, wonderful over ripened fruit notes, with some vinous port wine like characterisitcs. Taste: What a dessert beer enjoy and imbibe with friends, the alcohol doesn't burn this is Sam Adams Utopias maybe stronger but this one is smooth as all hell. That fruit soaked alcohol with toffee, caramel, chocolate and dark coffee with spicy highlights is like anyother beer you will taste. Mouthfeel: Full bodied drink in small quantities and let it warm up as you go no cloying effects on the palate a completely smooth sipping beer. Drinkability: Surprisingly incredible I have tasted other vintages and I see now that they have broken this beer down to a science excellent maybe a little "off-centered" but aren't all of us at times.

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours pitch black with no head or lacing, but that is to be expected. Aroma of chocolate, rum, molasses, and alcohol. This brew is sweeter then I expected. Dark fruit, chocolate, molasses, licorice, and vanilla are all present in the flavor, but dominated by the alcohol. The alcohol is assertive, but not overpowering, and warms you as you drink. Finishes a little dry, with a port-like aftertaste. Smoother then expected and creamy. Medium-full in body, less syrupy then I had imagined. High alcohol takes away drinkablity, but this is a sipping brew meant to be savored.

Definitely an experience, unlike any beer I have tried. Wish I had sampled one when it was released to compare. More cheers to Dogfish Head for their unique brews!

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

This beer has left me with an inconclusive opinion. Is it a “larger than life” flavored beer or is it gimmick-- Superior brew, or unabashed purveyor of alcohol?

Poured a brown-charcoal tinged used motor oil black.
Bubbly mix head- welled up in a fluffy bowl of bubbles and dense spongy foam sculpture. A few minutes later the foamy protuberance returned from whence it came leaving wisp foam swirls covering and atolls of bubbles and strings of tan floating aimlessly atop the black mixture.

Mild lacing of my glass.

Nose produced a prominent note of alcohol and a certain call of bitter hops.

Flavor-- I can’t ignore the alcohol, but toasted barley predominates, hops takes a second seat. Commingled with all this is an unavoidable sweetness, not of sugar but once again of toasted grain. Poking through all that flavor traffic are hints of coffee and maybe a tid-bit of baker’s chocolate.

The finish isn’t particularly robust. The sweet toasted malt / barley persists forever. The cleansing action of the alcohol has it’s undeniable effect.

But alas, given the price of this beer for a 12oz bottle- undoubtedly mostly tax-- in my opinion trumps to a large degree the euphoria of the flavor and character charm that it may spin upon my beer lover’s psyche. So is it really worth 10 bucks a bottle?

Overall a very robust flavored beer, with lots of alcohol...oh, did I mention the alcohol?

I had to degrade this beer's "drinkability"-- simply with two bottles I'm welded to my seat. So swirling around my brain and not my glass is -- is 21% alcohol necessary for a quality super flavored beer?

In conclusion I'd rate this beer a rather robust odd-ball specialty beer. You may have concluded that I'm not a fan of high alcohol content beers.. I love to drink- but I love to drink sober...

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $9.95

Poured a thick black-as-crude oil color with a very dark tan head. Head was about two inches - primarily because I gave it a very vigorous pour. This beer's inclination is to leave very little head at all.

Smell is of bananas, figs and port wine. Not as roasty as I thought it would be.

Taste is unlike any other beer I've ever had. It starts out with a very mild hoppiness. The fruitiness comes into play midway through . There's a winey taste on the fadeout reminiscent of a port. This is good, but I'd love to see how the flavors meld over time. I picked up two more bottles to see how they age. I wish I could afford more.

This is a very thick beer, almost syrupy. A person could almost use this as caulk.

Drinkability? Are you kidding? I was full after half a pint, and had to practically force down the rest. Not to mention the abv. If this is served in a bar in whole pints, the bartender should take custody of the imbiber's keys beforehand.

I look forward to trying this again in a year or two, when my other bottles have aged a bit.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

Images of Geiger, Lovecraft, and Crowley ran through the schism in my mind as I made my way fitfully through the waking dream (or was it a nightmare) of the World Wide Stout 2003.

This poured with no head to speak of, with little to no carbonation present. Among other things I would use to describe its appearance are black gold, Texas tea, creature from the pit, and zombie from the Ichthyic crypts. Black, black, black. The bouquet was simply overpowering with rum and raisin being the supreme demons, which were in turn enslaved to the lethally hot alcohol nose. At first sip there was rock candy sweetness with the aforementioned rum making sure you knew of its presence. The alcohol granted this a heat throughout the tasting, that not unsurprisingly, mellowed to a warming glow as I neared the glass’s end. Indeed, I felt as if I were a piece of glowing kryptonite by the time I realized I had finished the 12 ounces. There was sweat forming under my eyes.

Needless to say, this is one for sipping, not a session ale. It is something that should be enjoyed on a cold, snowy, New England night with the electricity out and a pot of stew warming on the Vermont Castings. The howling you hear may not be just the wind outside.

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured a syrupy black with a slight trace of brown edging and no head. Aromas are abundant, reaching my nose about two feet away. Smell is more complex than anything I have experienced - banana, cider, grapes, sweet candylike barley, backed up with a bit of chocolate malt, and a bunch more that I can't quite put my finger on. Unlike any imperial stout I have come across. Flavor was sweet with alcohol on the tip of the tongue, molding into a rich fruity/malty flavor mid-palate, and finishing with an efervescent, spicy hoppiness and a warming effect on the throat. Very well balanced for having such a high ABV, definitely one of the best sipping beers I have ever had. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, very smooth and creamy - simply delicious. I feel I probably have understated the impressiveness, complexity, and character of this stout, as I am truly taken aback - but I am sure some of the other, more poetic reviewers have done what I can't. I was apprehensive of whether an $8 bottle of beer can really be worth it (I actually felt that the 120 Minute, while good, was not worth the bucks). Well, this was worth ever penny. Get it if and while you can!

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Boy, they ain't just a woofin' when they say this is "a very dark beer." I held it up to the light. I can't see through it. Completely opaque in my pint glass. Almost no head whatsoever; much like a barleywine in that respect.

Smell: Just sitting on my desk, without being up under my nose, I'm getting the strong smell of bananas. Up close gets hints of apple, strong malt aromas, mild hop spiciness, and alcohol. Also a slight yeast bite.

Taste: Fantastic. Beginning is sharp and citrusy, turning to strong malt and chocolate flavors mid-palate. The long, drawn-out finish brings a bittersweet note to the chocolate, and features the bananas promised by the bouquet. The finish also features a heady alcohol burn. I've hidden a few bottles of this beer in an upstairs closet, so that I will hopefully forget about them and not grow impatient to drink them. I want to see how they age.

Mouthfeel: Thick, fizzy. I would say that this beer is probably a touch more fizzy than it ought to be given the style. But it's still a tasty beer.

Drinkability: I hate to rate this so low, but this really isn't a drinkable beer in the sense of "slug one after the other." This is a sipping beer. Drink more than one of these like you'd pound back a Budweiser, and you'll be on your ass. It is a shame that the beers which rate the highest in terms of taste are often the least drinkable beers, and the most drinkable beers are often the least interesting, taste-wise.

Don't let the low "drinkability" rating fool you, though. This is an exceptional beer, and one you should try.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's amazing what these kids are doing with beers now-a-days, This beer is more than "no exception" to this rule it leads the pack of the new school of American Brewing. Dark black with a brownish/tan head that disappears as quickly as the potion is poured. Very sweet aroma which permiates the room and clears the sinuses. Silky and syrupy feel makes this a pleasure to drink. Sweet taste, I thought it was prunes at first but settled on raisins, also a liquorice after taste. Very high Alchohol is evident and enjoyed. I will continue to enjoy these beers by DFH as long as they continue to experiment .

3.32/5  rDev -19.8%

!!! This is what I expected when I had the 2003. Pours pitch black, no head. Smell is dominated by alcohol, as is taste. Even moreso is the sweetness. At first, almost overwhelming. I actually came close to pouring this out. As the beer warmed (and I did also!), I was able to start tasting more than sweet alcohol. Some burnt malt and chocolate. Ultimately, this is just too much (I'm suprised that the additional 2% makes so much difference. I found the 2003 to be much more drinkable). Nonetheless, quite an experience. Thanks, Ron.

4.39/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured out a very dark, boardering on a pitch black, with a very thin fine head to it. The smell was extremely pleasant, with aroma of dominated by black licorace but with undertones of dark fruits.

The flavor was a complex mix of a roasted coffee, molasses, and raisins. It is actually fairly sweet and was a lot smoother than I expected, considering the high ABV. The carbonation was higher than expected, but it seemed to mask the high alcohol content quite well.

Overall, this beer is remarkably smooth and delightfully tasty. It's definitely a beer to sit back and sip over the course of an evening.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

The beer pours a deep black color with a spotty tan lace head. The aroma is good. It has a rich black malt scent which is overpowered by a warm alcohol aroma; very nice. The taste is great. It has real good dark malt flavor that goes down easy for a super high abv. stout. It finishes like cough syrup, but no other stout compares. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation for a high abv. beer. Dogfish Head knows how to push the envelope in brewing. They are constantly coming up with new ideas that continue to impress. Great job guys!

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery