World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

#910

Ratings: 4,884 |  Reviews: 1,795
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Not for the faint of heart.

When I first tried this, it was when I was first getting into beer and I had no idea what I was in for. I took stared nto the dark depths of my glass, took a deep sniff, and threw back a hearty gulp, then swished the syrupy concoction around in my mouth a few seconds before sensory overload quickly followed. Palate destroyed. Senses shocked beyond repair. I hated it and couldn't salvage the experience. It was super boozy (not something I enjoy) overly harsh from dark roast malts, and I poured most of it down the drain. *shame*.

That was probably 2012, maybe 2011. Now, in 2016, I'm changing my rating. This is a truly great beer. Exceptionally so. But, it's not for the novice. A newbie drinking this beer is like taking a 14 year old who's never driven and putting them behind the wheel of an Italian sports car. Or assigning a reading of Jacques Derrida to a 2nd grader. They won't "get it" and it very well may do them harm. The first rule of this beer is that you need a certain level of beer IQ before trying it... you've gotta be ready for it, man. Otherwise, it's worse than a waste.

The second rule here is setting your expectations. This is not like most "beers" you've had. Indeed, it pushes the very idea of "beer" so close to its limits that it stretches and tests the very notion of whether or not it should be called that. Yes, in the academic sense, it is a beer. Philosophically, it is beer taken to its logical conclusion, its most extreme interpretation, the most beery beer that can be made. Ironically, that makes it unlike any beer you're likely to have had.

The way to drink this beer is like a fine port or aged sherry. One does not gulp. Tiny sips are the rule. The bottle is actually too large, and 12 oz is easily 2 (if not 3 or 4) servings. Again, think port. Have your senses prepared for something big, bold, and thick. It's syrupy and sweet. It's rich and complex, but overwhelmingly so if you're not careful. Small sip, followed by contemplation and reverence.

Last word of caution: it's not for everyone. I'm not even sure how to rate it. Now, being more experienced, I've finally been able to enjoy this beer and appreciate it as the fine work of art that it is. Much the way I've come to see the beauty of the Mona Lisa or perhaps a Jackson Pollock is a more apt analogy... but that doesn't mean it suits my tastes, certainly not my every day tastes. So, for quality of product, this deserves it's 100 rating, but from a drinkability perspective (and considering my own taste biases), I can't see giving it more than a 4 at my most generous (and I may well revert at times to reacting as though it were a 2 if I'm not in the right mood and frame of mind). Get a bottle (retail prices range around $10-15 each) and split it with a few friends at a tasting party and discuss it. That's actually the best possible use for this beer: a discussion piece at a social gathering of friends who love beer and are ready to push their tastes to the limit.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%