World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

Ratings: 4,841 |  Reviews: 1,779
4.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - pours a pitch black with a thin tan head with decent lacing.

S - smells so strong! Like dark fruits and alcohol.

T - sweet malts at first followed by sour dark fruits and a deep warming alcohol bringing up the end.

M - heavy bodied with light carbonation.

O - very good and very different comparatively.

3.96/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into tulip glass.
Black, opaque, small tan head dissipates quickly into a small ring around the glass.

Smells like chocolate, a bit of coffee, and licorice maybe? Definitely can smell the booze on the end. I'm a little afraid of the 18% ABV.

Tastes similar to aroma, with the booze sticking out a bit. Again, I want to say licorice or anise with the chocolate. Kind of sweet, roasted, with a bit of hotness. But again, that's to be expected at 18%.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard for this stout, pleasingly so.

Overall, at $10 for a 12oz bottle, I'm not sure I'd go back to it. A good beer, and I'd be interested to try on tap with maybe a 6-8oz pour, but not sure where I'd find it.

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours opaque black with a small 1 finger creamy tan head that faded slowly and left a creamy ring around the top, and little or no lacing; the lack of head seems par for the course, as does the look of motor oil.

Smells of bourbon or a very dark rum, burnt malt, smoked wood, caramel, vanilla, dark fruits like plum, raisin or dates which have rotted, yeast and oatmeal. Smells more like a sweet liquor than a beer, and the alcohol is in your face from the second the beer hits the glass. Wow, what an intimidating odor from this beer that I bet it would probably scare away most non beer enthusiast or stout lovers. From the first sniff, until the time that the beer hit my lips, I knew that I was indulging in a unique and world class beer that would not be appreciated by most beer drinkers. Based on the aroma I must admit that I was not sure how the flavor would taste, but I expected good things from Dogfish Head.

Tastes of bourbon or rum, red wine like a merlot aged in oak barrels, vanilla, toffee, caramel, syrup, coffee beans, chocolate or cocoa, dark fruits like plum, raisin, dates, cherry and sour apple, and herbs like tea or very spicy piney hops; really nice complex flavor that just is hard to nail down as the taste seems to change with each sip. Seems like there are cinnamon sticks mixing in pepper or a flask of alcohol, and while the grains and malts control the taste, there is still a massive sweetness like molasses or rum which runs any hop or herbal presence out of town. The alcohol is present and felt like it was kicking my ass the whole time, but it was still really enjoyable. Not surprisingly, this gets better as it warms and after each sip of this high octane brew goes down. An excellent nightcap beer.

Very smooth and enjoyable for a beer this strong, the mouthfeel is creamy with zero carbonation, a very heavy body, a viscous mouthfeel overall and a very sweet puckering finish that burns from the alcohol presence. Very good drinkability factoring in the 18% ABV.

This is a full tilt, balls to the wall beer drinking experience. I have had this from a bottle, on tap and from a growler and each time has been a unique and enjoyable experience. Drinking this beer is worthy and equal to having and great aged scotch or cognac, so I suggest you treating yourself to this some time.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Black cherry

S - Whoa, fruit and booze... like desert wine made with malt.

T - Not atypical of a high quality stout, there are some flavors of chocolate, coffee and roasted malts. But the real story here is the fruity flavor... big raisins, cherries, grapes, plums, figs... you get the picture. Comes closer to a port wine than any other beer I've tasted. Almost like drinking a chocolate covered cherry soaked in rum. Impressive taste to say the least.

M - No complaints here. As is the case with many great beers, it is smooth despite the strength and booziness.

O - Excellent beer. Following up an Older Viscosity, I thought this beer had no chance to satisfy me by comparison, but it held up very nicely. A powerful earthy brew that holds its own with fruit pomp rarely experienced in beer.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured for a few friends after helping me move furniture.

Poured into a Claret, 2008 Vintage

Appearance-Poured about 4oz into my glass and took about 30 minutes to drink. Swirled the glass a little bit and got some realy thin layer of about 1/3 finger head that obviously dissipated quickly, suprised there was that much. Body was black as hell.

Smell-I remember trying this beer before my craft beer days and the smell was horrible. Smelling it now it's what I remembered only enjoyable. Oaky and Smokey Malt, huge huge malts. Some subtle chocolate and dark fruits and of course how can I forgot, tons of booze.

Taste-Tons of booze, but besides that the main flavors I get are Dark fruits, Cherry. Also tons of Oak. Definitely tons of malts as expected. Definitely not an everday beer, but pretty delicious.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied w/ almost no carbonation.

Overall-Anything more than this is just a little outrageous. You heard me BrewDog. It's a really interesting beer that's just missing the creaminess you get out of a stout like Black Metal, Ten Fidy and so on.. Really though I could see myself sharing these often with some friends during the winter. Unfortunately we don't get them. Glad I tried it, and looking forward to opening my other one in a few years.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Decided to crack open the World Wide Stout for my 200th review.
Poured like motor oil from a 12 oz bottle (2010) into an authentic DT snifter.
No visible head, but with such high ABV, it was expected.
Aroma is a complex, yet inviting blend of roasted malt, coffee, cocoa, dark chocolate. Hints of dark fruits (raisin, cherries) in the nose. The alcohol (sweet aroma) also makes its presence felt in the nose.
Very complex stout with so much flavor. Predominantly malty and full-bodied stout. Like the aroma, the taste is a complex blend of roasted malt bitterness, amongst dark chocolate/cocoa and dark fruit flavor profile. Gets better as it warms up
Warms your insides on its way down with each sip. Perfect for bitter cold winter days.
Kudos to Dogfish Head for brewing this Monster of a stout. A definite sipper and a 'must' for everyone that calls themselves a beer lover.
Highly, highly recommended.

3.87/5  rDev -6.5%

A: A deep reddish black with a nice amount of rich tan head that left little lacing.

S: Very chocolatey with hints of coffee and possible raspberries or something close to it.

T: Rich. Complex, although I was kinda hoping for more...it seemed to fade from the tongue relatively quickly. Also the booze is pretty apparent.

M: Possibly a little over carbonated

O: (B/B+)

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Bought a 12 oz Bottle of this from Kahns Fine Wines and Spirits in Indianapolis, IN for $9.99. Poured from the bottle labeled "A very dark beer brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley" on the front into my 16oz St. Louis Rams Pint Glass. No freshness date but is for sure a 2010 bottle.

Aroma- Extremely rich, complexed, and boozy from the beginning. Has tons of malt and roastiness. Can definitely smell dark chocolate and some coffee aromas as well. Is almost like a barleywine its so rich with malts and dark fruit!

Appearance- Pours a less than 1 finger of dark head that doesn't have great retention but not worried about this. Has the deepest black color body (jet black color) that is opaque. Good lacing is left on the glass.

Flavor- Strong and more intense than any other taste! Once again, boozy but this wasn't any problem with how rich and complexed the malts and grains tasted! Has the same characteristics in the taste as in the aroma (chocolate/coffee) and also has a sweet taste mid drink. The finish has a medium-high bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Full Bodied (more viscous than ever!), Light Carbonation, Chewy, but then has a nice alcohol warming after it warmed up a bit.

Overall Impression- An extremely HUGE 2X Stout! I suggest warming this up but also trying it once it is right out of the fridge. Very enjoyable and now can say that DogFish head has some of the best stouts! The Chicory Stout is also a favorite of mine. Almost has times it seems like its a Barleywine. I wish the ABV wasn't so high... This was one minor thing that I could do without. Still could have the strength but not this high.

4.14/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Dark, dark red with a half a finger of tan head that fades slowly to a thin cap.

Aroma: Like a dry red wine. Ripe fruit, chocolate and cherry cough syrup.

Taste: Yawowzers! This is like drinking malt extract. Huge, syrupy roasted malt up front and then a super complex middle. There's molasses, then medicinal cough syrup, then back to molasses, then slightly tart and sour like over-ripe fruit, then more molasses and finally a phenolic, hot, medicinal finish.

The Rest: Body is as far north of heavy as you can get and the mouthfeel is coating and syrupy. This is a interesting beer and I love how DFH is always pushing the boundaries, but this one is tough to swallow. I'm glad I tried it but halfway though my 12oz. bottle I had had enough. There's just some much going on here that it overwhelms the senses. I think I'll be getting another bottle to sit on for a few years and see how it mellows out.

4.07/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle.
Bottled in 2010.

A: No head, no lacing; pours a dark espresso brown

S: Tart smell of dark fruits, malts, and oats

T: Tart raisin, oak, dark fruits, coffee, sweet toffee, with a very slight booze finish.

M: No carbonation, medium thickness; very slight sharpness of the tongue, but overall a very smooth and buttery mouthfeel.

O: Where are they hiding the booze??? This is really delicious, and dangerously smooth and drinkable. Some interesting flavors here, definitely not what I expected

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

All I can say is sweet sassy molassy! This is one big beer!
Bottled: 2010 D.

Poured into a Duvel tulip, the beer pours pitch black with a sufficient espresso head, which recedes slowly clinging to the edges all the while.

The nose smells raisins, vanilla, boozy solvent alcohol strong, inviting. The taste is a very bitter fruity chocolate-y awesomeness. A bit ashy here and there, but very sweet and bittersweet. Strong, hot, hiccup.

Good carbonation keeps this from getting to sticky, the effervescence scrubs the sugar from your tongue and lips.

Yield to Dogfish.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

A - Pours super dark and even looks thick coming out of the bottle. Poured into a bourdeaux wine glass. Doesn't appear to have much of a head.

S - The first smell that hits you is the alcohol. Oh man, there is no hiding it. Then woody, coffee notes come through under the alcohol.

T - Tastes like nothing else. This is what I love about Dogfish Head, unique flavorful beers. Tastes of dark carmel sweetness with cherry-vanilla wood, anise, and coffee like flavors. There is only one minor flaw; maybe it could use some more hops to balance it out.

M - Very, very thick. Perhaps a little too thick for me. Also appears to be under-carbonated probably due to the fact that it was stored at 76F for a year upright. The alcohol also warms up the palate.

O - A very unique beer that is a must try for anybody who loves full-bodied beers. I suggest having it by itself. Dogfish Head says that it could go with dessert, but it is way too sweet and boozy. It is an dessert by itself. Enjoy!

UPDATE (05/30/12) - A half year in the fridge seems to have mellowed the alcohol a bit. Wish I had more optimal storage conditions, but Arizona does not have those. The overall flavor profile tastes more of less the same. There is more carmel and less anise. Might just be due to a changing palate though.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep-red-brown in color, as close to black as you can get. It's topped with the thinnest of dark-tan heads, which dissipates fairly quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

The nose is here is a pummeling of plum/raisin/treacle and molasses, along with a brandy-like fusel alcohol quality -- this is not for the faint of heart! Notes of lighter cocoa and bitter, astringent espresso merge with the dark fruit notes and add a degree of considerable challenge and fair warning.

Intense cocoa-and anise on the first sip, along with equally-intense sweetness and richness (I'm getting a very favorable flashback to D&G's 'Dragon Stout' right here). "Soy-sauce" and anise, along with bitter herb and sweet, fermented fruit. Vinuous, and not-so-subtly warming all the while...

Mouthfeel is about average -perhaps- better than average- but this "beer" really is more than an average, everyday tipple, so it's hard to think in terms of average anything. Seems thin-of-body, but that doesn't really detract from this brand as far as the nominal Double/Imperial Stout style moniker is concerned, as I've had others which were equally thin of body yet packed a wallop!

A true sipping "beer", it would take me quite a while to get through a bottle by myself, so I've split this one with a friend and it's still taking a while. Cloying sweetness doesn't bother me so much, but the booziness is warming and (sort of) off-putting; I'm not the kind of person that likes a lot of heat or alcohol, least of all not since I've cut my own consumption down over the past six or so years.

As I get closer to the end of the glass (or "half-glass", I guess) I'm wishing I had a good cigar and maybe even some chocolate to pair it with!

Afterthought: This is a hard beer to rate, as it's more like a brandy/liqueur/apertif than anything else. It reminds me of the better aspects of the infamous Samuel Adams' Triple Bock, along with some other heavy-hitters from the past (Sammiclaus, the 10% sugar-bomb that is Primator from Czech, and others). I've only enjoyed this particular beer on a couple of prior occasions in the past, as bottles have always been a little bit scarce, especially considering the short time it was available in Minnesota. A rare treat, and one that I'll definitely try again.

"Vintage 2005", and a HUGE thanks goes out to BA "Crusian" down in Texas for this freakin' awesome trade extra : )

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Bottle of 2008 vintage at Brouwer's Cafe in Seattle.

A: 1/8" mocha head that dissipated quickly over black liquid.

S: Chocolate malt, yeast and alcohol.

T: Toasted malt up front with a boozy finish.

M: Thick viscosity with a medium level of fine carbonation.

O: A thick sipper with a boozy finish that is very tasty.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 oz. brown bottle, no dating but this was a 2009 vintage, poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a completely opaque inky black color, nothing inside. The head formed 1-2 fingers thick and faded quickly.

Aroma: Woody, roasted and chocolate malt, and lots of alcohol. Wow.

Taste: Roasted malt up front along with some woody flavors, then cherry flavors come through with the alcohol. The finish is a mix of it all, chocolate, cherries, and alcohol. Every time I take a drink I taste something different.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied (duh), thick and syrupy. The carbonation was muted but still there, which fit perfectly.

Overall: This is unreal. So complex and yet so drinkable. Can't wait for this year's vintage to come out, it's the perfect drink for a cold winter's night.

3.51/5  rDev -15.2%

2010 vintage

Pours black, but doesn't look wildly vicious. A nice finger of head forms, surprisingly despite the high abv.

The aroma is interesting. As I've seen noted in other reviews, it definitely does have a distinct vinous character, lead by the alcohol. Otherwise, it's very roasted.

The vinous quality mostly steps aside in the taste. Same strong roasted malt notes, a hefty dose of chocolate, and a touch of coffee. Alcohol is there, but for 18% with not a lot of age on it, it's well blended.

Fairly full bodied, but not as thick and chewy as I would have imagined.

A good Imperial Stout. Is the super high ABV necessary? Not by a long shot. I'll sit on a couple more bottles and see what develops.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: extremely dark brown as I poured; jet black in the glass. Head is a thin layer of creamy tan foam. Not bad.

Smell: intriguing. Quite fruity, much like a wine. There's some lightly roasty sweet malt below as well, so there's a quite nice complexity. I want to like it more, but there's also a huge alcohol nose that's got a ring to it which is almost like scented nail polish remover.

Taste: big fruit flavor straightaway. Cherry, plum, a little bit of grape or raisin, followed by a little bit of malt character. The alcohol on this thing is just plain crazy -- I can taste the heat and I can feel it going down my gullet. Good, but man; take it down a notch, maybe?

Mouthfeel: not really creamy, per se, but big body with this much alcohol is making this brew silky smooth. I really like the mouthfeel, which I suppose is important in a sippin' beer like this.

Overall: I've had WWS a few times before, and I've always liked it. It's a bit on the strong side, which I think doesn't help it 100% of the time, but overall it's a successful beer.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

I stored this in the fridge and let it sit on the counter for about 20 minutes before pouring. It poured out jet black, not too viscous, with very low carbonation and not much of a head. It had a sneaky nose of toast and coffee. I say `sneaky' because the flavor was a big surprise.

Wow, is this stuff rich! Your palate is bombarded with a wave of powerful, syrupy, sticky-sweet malty goodness. Very liqueur-like with complex flavors of coffee, figs, vanilla, and butterscotch. I was shocked when I saw that this beer is 18% ABV, as there was hardly any booziness. The folks who made this beer really know what they're doing.

This is the richest beer I've had since that growler of Bourbon County Stout that took me several days to finish. It is an outstanding brew, but I would not recommend it to anyone who is new to craft beer. If you like your stouts rich, powerful and complex, step right up!

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Very interesting. Blurs the line between port and beer. In fact it's so different from any other beer I've had that I have a hard time interpreting it even as beer.

It's warming, delicious, different ... and one that all adventurous beer drinkers should try. Certainly sweet, perfect to surprise your guests as dessert after dinner!

Be ready for an alcohol blast though ... it's deceptively powerful.

I'm not sure how many brewers have attempted to create such a beer, but my sense is not many. I applaud Dogfish for putting this on the shelf.

2.56/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours, as expected, pitch black with a thin layer of head. The smell is decent, with hints of chocolate, but I can already detect the beer's booziness.

Taking a sip, I get chocolate and raisins before I'm overcome with the taste of alcohol. At 18%, it's to be expected, but it's just too much for my taste. I find my mouth puckering occasionally. I do like the syrupy mouthfeel, but it doesn't compensate for the taste of alcohol.

When I bought this, I didn't know the ABV was 18%. I just don't find the experience to be enjoyable. If I wanted to drink some chocolate liqueur, I would have bought one instead of this. This will be the last time I try this beer. I suppose as a beer that offers complexity and does a decent job of masking its 18% ABV, this beer succeeds, but I just can't give a good score to a beer I didn't enjoy.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A: Dark brown--close to black--with a thin brown head and surprisingly good lacing; very still with little carbonation to note from the appearance

S: An obvious booziness shines through but so does a rich roasted malt quality: chocolates and coffee and dark fruits

T: Sweet and boozy up front--really sweet but at least the dry bitter malts (chocolate and coffee) help to balance it out a bit in the back end; it burns going down the hatch but the chocolates and roasted malts and barley keep tossing around the mouth helping this beer to grow on you

F: A bit viscous and syrupy but nice considering the alcohol and style

O: A bit much to handle but all in all this is an interesting albeit boozy and massive beer

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottled 11/17/09
Pours the blackest of black with an inch head after a hard pour.
Strong alcohol on the nose with a light, lingering vanilla sweetness. A light burn on the nose.
Big alcohol with vanilla, raisins and cola. The sweetness coats the tongue and lingers for quite awhile.
For the ABV, there is a decent amount of carbonation. This is one thick beer.
At almost 3 years old, this beer could go another 3 and be amazing.

1.79/5  rDev -56.8%

Bottled on 11-17-09 shared by Andy and poured into a tulip. This one pours an oily black color with about a finger of bubbly dark tan head that settles down almost right away.

Rubbing alcohol and rubber are the first things that come to mind on this. Seeems to be a little bit of rich chocolate in the background of the aroma but in the end this one smells like a magic marker. This is a sweet syrupy beer; a little bit of cherries and chocolate in the aroma but this is simply a sweet alcohol bomb.

The body is full and sticky. It's hot and simply unpleasent.

In the end this one simply does nothing for me. I don't know see any appeal here. Brewers, please stop brewing gimmicks and make decent beer.

1.92/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured into a tulip. Bottled on November 17, 2009. Pours black with a little bit of carbonation that goes away quickly. Just a few bubbles remain.

The aroma is straight alcohol and bad vegetables. Any roasted aroma is very faint. This does not smell good.

The taste starts out sweet with a hefty dose of chocolate and mocha. There is some dirty vegetable and alcohol in the finish. There is a little bit of molasses in the middle. This is an improvement over the aroma, that much is certain.

This is medium to medium large in body. There is average carbonation.

I don't understand this beer or others like it. I like a hint of booze in a 14% brew, but this is too much and smells like sharpies. I doubt I will finish my half of the bottle.

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into Unibroue fluted glass (and quickly poured into a port glass) from bottle (2010 purchase). I recommend this from a glass with a smaller opening (port or sherry glass or even a sparkling wine flute). Larger glassware seems to give off the alcohol more, plus the aromas are much more streamlined with the smaller aperture.

Pours blacker than Hades with oatmeal colored head, decently persistent with fine lacing.

Smells of sour cherry, licorice, toffee, raisins and tawny port. Very good aromatics, though overly oppressed by the alcohol. The palate is much more refined with an Oloroso sherry-like quality. Drinks more like a rich port or sherry than a beer. Lots of toffee, bread pudding, spice, and raisins on the palate.

Lovely texture, though muddled due to the high alcohol. Of course I was thinking it was going to clock in at around 10%... so at 18% I guess they actually DID do a good job keeping the alcohol integrated!

Finishes nice with chewy tannins.

Overall one of the better stouts, yet more in line with a fine port or Oloroso sherry than a beer. With an abv of 18% drink at your own risk!

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery