World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

Ratings: 4,825 |  Reviews: 1,772
4.52/5  rDev +9.2%

I want to start by saying I want to rate this beer higher. The smell and taste both improve as you delve in. That means as well that the drinkability improves. So what I have rated here as a mere 4.5 should be a 4.8. Even there I wonder, as judgement of appearance I have slighted for the head... Which you will understand from this review, may not be applicable.

That said...Given the chance to have one of these or anything else beside beer I make, I would choose this. I am a baltic porter fan, and suggest this is really somewhat out of style, even as an imperial stout. If you are a stout lover a la Guinness, this may not be for you. If, however, you enjoy a Okocim Porter, or other, grande, robust, baltic-type porters with unique character and definition, you are at a loss if you don't try this.

I have had several of these (not just now, as if I did I might not be able to type), all apparently from the same year (lime-green cap, undated), priced from 8-12 dollars a 12 oz. bottle. Yes, an expensive beer. However, considering what you get in 12 oz., it is worth the price of a six-pack of many other things -- unless you are flat-out looking to get plowed regardless of taste. At the checkout counter even the clerks pause when the single bottle gets rung up. You only need one.

This beer needs to pause before you stuff it in your mouth. That is, when you pop the cap, pour it into a glass and wait about 5 minutes before you try it out. In wine talk this approximates 'breathing'. When you pour, it comes out dark/black, and if you pour with reasonable speed, you can get a tan head -- slow, you might not get any at all. It is 18% people. You don't get a head on wine -- unless it is crap -- poured at any speed...you don't get a head on liquors. When was the last time you poured a port and watched it fizz? And that's another point... If you like wine and you can enjoy a port, you might have a better appreciation of this in your glass. If you hate port and can't stand deviation from a style... no no no...go elsewhere.

So...pour swift and you get a bit of a head. It will fade quickly as the alcohol is thinning and that is the price you pay. If you take a quick sip, you will note it as a little harsh, almost chemical, as various vapors escape. Patience. Wait for the head to die, blow across the top of the glass to vacate the fumes, and NOW try to approach the beer. 5 minutes good, 10 minutes, better.

At this point the beer will be opaque and headless -- much like I like my women...oh, sorry. The aroma will still be a little crude, but you will start to detect some of the richness born of the rich grain bill and ridiculous conglomeration of yeasts. Yes, from what I understand they use multiple yeasts to attain this state of ABV while making the comrades contribute to the final class.

Take a sip. You will, if you try, at least note the following: malt, chocolate, sweetness, raisin, licorice, plum, and to a lesser extent smoke/roast. The wonderful thing is it is well balanced between all of these, and not dominated by any.

Take your time and don't woof it down like a Coors Light. Sip and smell and luxuriate like you were in a spa. You will be rewarded, as the liquor gets smoother, more aromatic and more delectable with every sip.

As I write this I have been sniffing my empty glass. If you are a brewer, it is just such a joy of malt and yeast and wonderful richness that you no longer need to sip. Tempted as I am to go get another, drawing my nose over the empty glass is quite satisfying, and smarter. Too many of these would be easy to regret as every ONE is worth at least 4 'normal' beers.

Have one when you have time to pause and enjoy.

4.66/5  rDev +12.6%

I read other people complaining about the lack of head with a vigorous pour so I went in unafraid and just dumped the sucker in haphazardly, which produced a good one centimeter lick of head that stayed around for about two minutes. It has since descented into a creamy haze on top of the black oil that resides below. lacing does not want to stick to the side when swished around.

In my nose I get an overwhelming scent that is part organic paint thinner made of vanilla and molasses and so much roasted grain that I swore I was toasting some top quality rye bread in the toaster oven.

I am afraid to put this to my mouth. I better hold on to something.

Oh god. What is this? Is this some trick? I swore I just ... is this a liqueur of some sort? A strange port? Nay, there be carbonation! Not much, but this thing fills my mouth with thick rich deliciousness and just enough carbonation to make my tongue sparkle. The taste sensations being... almost indescribable. It is indescribable. It's delicious! There's a very slight alcohol burn as it goes down but that comes only after your taste buds burst with sweet woody smoky insanity. This is warming me from the inside out. This is easy to drink. Disturbingly so.

Interesting to ponder that I am spending $1 every time I take a swig. Damn this is worth it. This is perhaps one of the finest beverages mankind has made, and we mere mortals are lucky to enjoy it. If I didn't know these were 18% and they didn't cost the going rate of gold I could be putting these away as fast as I could pour them!

If you see this, buy as many as you can afford, because you will want more later.

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

A - really black. absolutely opaque. mocha head for about 20 seconds.

S - Alcohol first, then chocolate. smells a bit like nail polish. I would describe it as intense rather than complex.

T - Super rich, unlike me after spending 31.99 on a 4 pack. tastes like chocolate, slight bourbon aftertaste.

M - Perfection. thick and creamy. medium/low carbonation. alcohol burn in my throat and chest after I swallow.

D - I couldn't finish more than 1 but I'm sure they aren't going for drinkability with a 18%abv imperial stout. It is probably more drinkable than some beers I've had around 10%.

Everyone should try this. I may have a new favorite beer.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle, 2009

Pours dark black, barely any head even with an aggressive pour. The nose is roasted malt, earthy barley, notes of chocolate and coffee and alcohol. Taste is warming, theres a heavy aloholic taste to it, a sweet middle and a bitter hot finish. Medium mouthfeel. A definite sipper here, even at the 12 oz bottle. Highest ABV for a stout I've tried...DFH taking it to another level yet again.

Note* After enjoying the beer over an extended period of time and enjoying the nuances as it warmed I've raised the score in taste and drinkability.

3.62/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, 2009 vintage, poured into a balloon glass. Decent head though it dissipates quickly. No lacing. Dark deep black in color, like a moonless, starless night at sea... or my basement when the damn lightbulb blows.

Smells like malt and booze, no chocolate or coffee notes to be found.

Taste is good on the palate, but at 18% the booziness makes itself known early on. It was slightly chill when I started and still tasted good as it warmed, but there is some chalkiness in the mouthfeel and aftertaste.

I had planned on sharing this bottle, but I only know two people who like this kind of stuff and can handle 18%, and they ain't around, so nuts to me.

Overall this was worth trying, even with the $7 tag on a 12 oz. bottle.

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Dogfish WWS on tap at mighty Max's in Baltimore, MD, served in their classic thick goblet.

Appearance: Black like West B'more, but much more beautiful and clean. No lacing, no head. A single atoll of carbonated bubbles is all that dares break the intense ocean of blackness.

Smell: A little oxidation. Booze, some old oak, very woodsy. A bit of cherry and ripe dark fruits. Bourbon.

Taste: Carbonated bourbon-y hops at first. Smooth on the lips. Some smoke and sugars. Not as exciting as the aromas. Nothing that makes me think of a stout (no coffee, no roastiness, no outright bitterness).

Mouthfeel: Low but adequate carbonation. Medium body, full flavor (more pronounced in the nose than in the mouth, though). Nice lip-smacking bitterness on the back. Alcohol is well-played, not as evident as in the bottled version.

Drinkability: I struggled. At first I thought, "this goes down easy". But a whole goblet is way too much World Wide. I could not have another beer. As it warmed up, it became too heavy, almost unbearable.

This tap could definitely use aging and subtlety. It is not as tasty and enjoyable as WWS in a bottle.

3.57/5  rDev -13.8%

Apearance - Pours pitch black with no light showing through and a half finger brown head that quickly diminishes to a crown.

Nose- Big coffee aroma with a hint of annisse, molasses, and roastiness. Alcohol is evident.

Palate- Much sweeter than expected. Sweet chocolatey coffe like an extra sweet mocha with black licorice. Roastiness is not present in the palate, but the alcohol does not hide. Finishes tangy and warm.

Mouthfeel- Thick and full body, with very low carbonation, but by no means undrinkable.

Drinkability- Not my favorite stout, but I have definitely had worse.

3.1/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2004 vintage on tap at Monk's Cafe from the back bar. I had a few of this particular vintage out of the bottle and 'enjoyed' it.

Off the spout and into my hand World Wide Stout looks dead to this man. A very still sea of blackish liquid thats dark and mo darker. A small sheet of gunk slips off the glass, no lace left in the past. Tranquil. Smell is a big roasted malt bomb that has picked up big time port and dark fruit, berries, chocolate, soy, faint vanilla. Cant really detect the booze, but it's there under a sea of smell. This has always been interesting beer and it's hit or miss with me. This is a bit to fruity for my liking. Perhaps it's the HUGE port notes and the lack of sweet chocolate, which is pretty muted. Roasted malt is appriciated but the berries are rizzipe. Some fusel alcohol, with warming it came out more. It kinda tastes like bum wine to me which I pick up in a lot of big DFH beers, it's off putting. Feel is big, burly, coating with a little heat on the way down. I don't like the lingering alcohol in the back. Well, I could not get through my glass, it's sacrilege, but I dumped the rest. I like the innovation here but it's too much, I also seem to like the older bottles a tad better. I just wish it was not so BIG.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Served cool.

A-pours a very dark tan head that quickly dies. Black, body.

S-boozy, rum like, some chocolate, roasted grain (burnt)

T-alcohol front, burnt toast, maybe some floral hop character in there, espresso

M-FULL, slick

D-great after dinner beer. boozy flavors in this may be a little off putting though. Let it warm up first.

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

A - Pitch black, even when held up to light. The mocha colored head fizzles out immediately. No lacing whatsoever. In a word, beautiful.

S - A crazy intense blast of alcohol at first gives way to a really warm roasted chocolate aroma. If the booze was less intense things would be perfect.

T - The first word that comes to mind is "magical." Super rich and complex, starting with a heavy dark chocolate flavor but ending with a fruity finish, all with just the perfect amount of boozy heat. Absolutely amazing.

M - More perfection. It's super thick, almost syrupy in consistency; this smoothness complements the smoothness of the taste wonderfully.

D - You can't chug this stuff, but for an 18% ABV brew, this is disturbingly easy to down. I had to stop myself from going overboard with this stuff.

Notes - I paid $8 for a 12 ounce bottle, and it was absolutely worth it. This is as close to perfection as you can get. It may sound like gushing, but I really can't speak too highly of this brew; it's an absolute masterpiece that everyone who's even remotely into beer needs to try at least once.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottled November 2009
Served in an Allagash Tulip glass

Appearance was as dark as night. Pure black - no light can pass through this stuff. It pours heavy - almost like good balsamic or bad motor oil. Very little to no head at all. I can smell it from feet away as I pour. I smell...sharpie, surprisingly.

Aroma reminds me of dark roast coffee, red wine and brandy, solvent - very strong stuff and it smells strong. Subtle licorice and dark chocolate. Maybe a dark, dried plum hiding behind the gobs of seriously dark roasted malts.

Flavor mirrors the smell; burnt suguar, dark / strong coffee, dark chocolates, port / brandy, plums. Sweetness is powerful on this.

Mouthfeel is quite good - it has a thickness and sweetness that coats your entire mouth but doesn't hang around too long. It has good body, very little carbonation (almost none) but the sweetness doesn't stay too long, as barleywines and other strong beers with a high finishing gravity often due.

I liked this beer - but I didn't love it. It is a very complex beer - but I think it is just too young or - gasp - too strong for it's own good. 18% ABV coupled with a beer this dark and complex needs many additional years to age properly (If I had another from November 2009's bottling batch, I probably would hold on for another 2 or 3 years. ) However, I can honestly say I have had beers half as strong that were harder to get through with identical aging.

Overall, a good beer, great brewery. For similar styles (taste wise) - I would rather have an Old Rasputin or Weyerbacher Old Heathen (I don't really consider them to be competitors - this beer is definitely better suited in an experimental category rather than imperial stout). Still doesn't match up to some of the other beers they brew, but unique and complex.

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to Jahmur for the vintage bottle!

2005 vintage

The cap cracks with a nice hiss as I pour some of this strong elixir into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. I thin ring of dark-tan head forms over an almost black body. The foam eventually fades away, leaving no lacing, but the sheer strength of this brew does leave some legs on the glass.

Sweet honey-laden malts and dark fruits rise up from the glass with a few swirls. A trace of alcohol, but surprisingly not that much. Candied figs, plums and red grapes mix with some roasted chocolate notes. Nice complexity at this age.

Rich, chocolaty malts grace the tongue, followed by figs, grapes and a hint of wood. Sweet like chocolate mousse, but with the added complexity of dark honey soaked fruits. Definitely on the sweet side. The ABV is almost unnoticeable in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is smooth, slick, almost creamy and decently thick. Warming alcohol lingers, but is much more subdued than when this beer is fresh. Seems more like a 9 or 10% ABV beer. My only complaint is that the carbonation is quite low, but at least there is some.

Drinkability is good for what this is. With fresh WWS the alcohol is the biggest limiting factor for me. With a five year old bottle the ABV is no longer a complaint, but the beer does become extremely sweet. Definitely a sipper in more ways than one, but splitting a bottle with one or more BA's makes it an excellent dessert. If you even remotely like fresh WWS then I highly recommend you age some for at least 5 years. I think I'll be laying down a few in the cellar for the future.

4.68/5  rDev +13%

2005 vintage. Poured into a Hill Farmstead glass, revealing deep dark burgundy/brown with a very thin ring of head, fast-dissipating. The beer almost looks like it has legs. Smells absolutely delicious: sweet and malty with a lot of fig and date molasses presence. Alcohol is noticeable on the nose, but in a warm sipper-inducing way.

Tastes pretty much as amazing as it smells. Very sweet and mellow with a solid dark fruit and malt backbone. Vanilla. Some milk chocolate. Very smooth and silky, almost a little syrupy. Medium-bodied. Very little tickling carbonation. Clean but not watery finish. For the ABV, it's incredibly well-masked. Very drinkable, also very sip-able.

I highly recommend aging this one. I think something between this old and a few years after fresh may yet be my favorite, but it's worth buying a case to find out!

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at Churchkey in DC while watching the premiere of Brew Masters.

Nice pour! Totally dark with no light going through. Head is brown with great lacing and retention.

Aroma is very boozy with some dark fruits and roasted malts. Not very strong and complex.

Taste is very explosive and sweet with lots of malt, mollasses, dark fruits, some honey and smoke charachter towards the end. Aftertaste is also sweet with little bitterness. Alcohol warmth follows.

A massive bodied and syrupy stout with high carbonation and surprisingly well-hidden alcohol (feels more like 10%).

A classic sipping beer that will quickly get to you if you're not careful.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Had on tap the DFH brewery

A: Extremely dark, light tan head with decent lacing. Pretty nice for this style and abv.

S: A bit boozy as expected, makes it harder to pick out the nuances. Get some dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla and definitely some molasses.

T: Get a heavy dose of molasses and dark malts. It has a rum/bourbon quality almost. Also get some dark fruit, mostly cherries. Not as hot as I expected it to be, but the alcohol is still present.

M/D: Full bodied and on the thicker side, slightly syrupy. Lower carbonation. Overall it is very good, at 18%, tough to drink more than one, not that you probably want to. Very interested to see what happens to an aged bottle.

4.64/5  rDev +12.1%

Dogfish world wide stout bottle from 08 poured into a pint glass

A -  black as night, minimal head with a little lacing
S -  coffee, bourbon, malt, malt, malt - let this sit in my hands for a while to warm and watched it evolve in flavor/smell
T -  dark maltiness, warming alcohol and a nice chocolatey flavor, vanilla,  there is a lot going on here and I am not sure how to describe it all
M - cocoa powder dryness on the tongue
D - well...at 18% I personally would consider this a night cap, truly enjoyed the smells and flavor profile of this beer, overall wonderful experience and can't wait to get my hands on more of this

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottled on 11/17/09. Poured this into a snifter

Pours a jet black body with a slight bit of brown around the edges. Very aggressive pour yields a two finger mocha head that dissolves immediately and leaves no lacing, but a noticeable film on the glass when the fluid moves. Smells dominantly of booze. Also smells like vanilla and caramel/brown sugar. Taste is vanilla, caramel, oak, and booze in that order (and very quickly). Taste lingers with a roasted malt flavor reminiscent of chocolate or brownies (slightly burnt ones, anyway), very sweet and syrupy, overall. Feel is thick and coating with very low carbonation. Chewy and full bodied. Taste, smell, and body couple together very nicely. More like a scotch/stout hybrid than an imperial stout, I would say. Definitely good, but I don't think I'll be seeking this out again soon since the price point is pretty high and the ABV packs a pretty hefty wallop on this one.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

A deep black color, deep tan head, oily and thick.

Aromas of burnt grain, currants, figs, dark dark malts. A true witches brew.

Flavor is outstanding. Dark fruits, like raisins, sense some vanilla in there, and really significantly sweet. Bitterness is abound, and I am impressed in how much of those peppery hops come through.

Creamy, hot, sticky mouthfeel. A high level of carbonation versus others of this style.

Sipper, sipper. Delicious with every small sip. The flavor is so amazing, it just takes a little at a time to enjoy. Bravo.

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%

Bought at the East End Ale House, had one beer before this. When I bought this one the bartender asked me if I was driving, which I was, and was instantly cut off after that!

A- Pours almost no head at all. The slightest bit that is there is a light brown color, but dissapears quickly. The color is an unforgiving black. No colors on the sides of this beer, no light is escaping this beast.

S- Dominated by the alcohol, but not entirely. There is some malty aroma as a stout should possess. I'm picking up a raisin and grape smell too.

T- The taste starts of like the smell, the booze taste hits you up front. Very boozy, borderline wine, but its not overbearing suprisingly. This beer needs to warm for the best of it to come out. After letting sit a good coffee flavor develops. Leaves a nice chocolatey caramel aftertaste that lingers.

M- Suprisingly smooth for the strength. As you'd imagine the alcohol is, needless to say, warming? YES, IT IS. But it doesn't dry your mouth out like some other stouts with less than half the abv of this.

D- Definition of a sipper for sure. I gave this a little bit of an above average rating even with the rediculous alcohol content.

Notes: You know, this beer may not be rated "Great" by my standards, but I have a new found respect for beer after trying this. It's this type of beer that shows you how far brewers can push the envelope. To make something this over the top, and the fact that its still drinkable, and enjoyable even is impressive. My hats off to DFH for this one. Can't wait to try their other extreme concoction, the 120 minute brute.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Served in a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass

Thanks to Plenum via TMoney2591 for this nice beer

Vintage 2007. This beer pours a black abyss with really no head. There is a hell of a lot of chocolate on the nose perhaps it's Belgian chocolate. There is also the distinct smell of oak and raisin. The flavor is lots of chocolate and smoke. There is also the flavor of rum raisin. The overall components of the flavor make it taste rather similar to a good tawny port. It has some nice carbonation, but is still real velvety on the tongue. This is still a real strong beer. Perhaps it was too intense for me to really enjoy. It was still a very good beer.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

2004 vintage at Monk's Cafe.

pours black with absolutely no head.

aroma is primarily of bourbon, molasses and alcohol.

taste is loaded with deep malts flavors of vanilla, maple syrup, sweet chocolate, and dark berries. port wine, upfront, whiskey more in the finish. some lingering soy that detracts slightly.

silky mouthfeel, slightly sticky, alcohol burn and herbal bite is all tbat offsets the malt sweetness. still, not cloying or heavy. warming and comforting.

quite an amazing concoction. barely qualifies as beer, but delicious. i have one at home in the bottle and i think i will give it at least 5 years. this beer is meant to be aged.

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottled in November 2008, opened 01/2012. Poured a deep, syrupy black into a tulip with half a finger of dark khaki head. Spotty, star-like lacing with good retention. Strong toasty aroma dominated by sweet toast, caramel, licorice, and lots of boozy warmth.

Moderate-to-lowish carbonation and a thick, syrupy mouthfeel. Predominately sweet flavors of licorice, cereal, bitter coffee, and lots of molasses. Relatively quick finish with just a bit of bitterness and an alcohol sting.

A nice sipper to enjoy once and a while, but the sweetness and booze definitely limits this one to once a year for me. It will be interesting to see how the other '08s continue to develop in the cellar.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured and evaluated in a snifter. Bottle was from Nov 14th 2008, cracked open almost 2 years to the date.

Appearance of a syrup like black/brown liquid, chestnut brown head of bubbles disappears almost instantly. Some legs on glass, virtually no bubbles to stick.

Smell. Complex, muted, giving to first a fruit smell of cherry/berry/raspberry first, faint grain (guess barley) behind but then gives way to tobacco scent. Nose isn't very big, quite small.

Taste. Similar fruit profile up front in the taste bigger though, some tingle carbonation on the tongue, more bitter tobacco taste in the aftertaste, even some licorice. Alcohol does not overpower the taste of this beer.

Mouthfeel is slightly above average, surprisingly not thick.

Drinkability, is good, price and complexity don't make this a great beer to just polish off. Would enjoy again, but wont be jumping out and forking over the wallet to buy another.

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Dark brown to black. No head, no lacing.

S: Malty-licious. I agree with others; bourbon-chocolate-vanilla hit the nose. Syrupy port wine notes.

T: A classic imperial stout. Perfect sweetness. Chewy alcohol on top of raisins and mocha. Some bourbon there.

M: Moderate carbonation. Moderate body.

D: Not to sweet, not too hot. Lovely.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured 4 oz from a shared 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Thick, deep black color with ruby hues on the edges. A thin wispy brown head develops but is gone before you know it. Alcohol lacing present on the glass.

S - Molasses and alcohol. None of the coffee I was expecting. Also present were raisins and a hint of soy sauce. An intense and overpowering nose.

T - Taste is more similar to a quad than a stout. Molasses and alcohol make themselves known, and the raisins from the nose come in pretty strong. Actually a bit sweet with the raisins dominating the finish. There's also a hint of roast, chocolate, and soy sauce.

M - Not as thick as I expected, but definitely a fairly thick body. Not a lot of carbonation, but it is appropriate.

D - Incredibly easy to drink when you consider the ABV. I only had 4 oz, but could have handled the bottle on my own and would have loved to. It goes down as easy as say a Stone Russian Imperial Stout, but is more impressive because it has almost double the alcohol.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery