World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

#929

Ratings: 4,906 |  Reviews: 1,797
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottled 11/14/08; Consumed 1/27/11 (a little over 2 years old)

A: Pours pitch black with ruby red edges. The head quickly fizzles to nothing. I'm surprised there was even a head at 18%, though

S: Boozy, oaky, chocolatey, some burt coffee... nice and complex for such a strong beer

T: First thing out of the gate is the burnt coffee and dark chocolate. This gives way to a nice warming boozy taste along with a little bitterness. Amazingly, the booze doesn't shine in this beer, which is absolutely amazing considering the abv

M: Heavy bodied with a decent amount of carbonation (somehow... again, I'm stumped!) that plays with the tastes and compliments them nicely

D: Well... how drinkable can an 18% stout get? I'd like to believe this is easily at the top of that list, it's obviously a definite sipper, but it's hard not to get in trouble with it and want to drink it fast (at least if you want any decency from the rest of your night)

Ok, so second time around with a bottle from 11/17/09. Poured on 3/1/11.

A: Pours a pitch black with a 1/2 inch head that fizzles quickly. I'm still surprised as to how this monster has any head at all

S: Booze, oak, chocolate, toffee, coffee, burnt sugars... so amazingly complex

T: Sweet dark chocolate and alcohol that finishes quite bitter but doesn't last for too long. Hints of oak and coffee add to the bitterness in the middle... yum. The booze still doesn't overpower this beer, which is an amazing given the 18%

M: Heavy with a decent amount of carbonation. Silky smooth

D: Is it bad that I wish this were sold in 4-packs? Seriously though, this is amazingly drinkable given the 18%, and if it didn't take a year to tone down a bit, it would be a regular for me without a doubt

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was full of many different dark flavors. It was choclatey, coffee-like, and had other dark notes.

I best describe it as three taste stages: 1. intial good dark taste 2. hard to describe sweetness 3. finish is strong alcohol taste but doesn't taste like 18%.

For the taste and the 18% ABV you must try this $7.99/bottle beer at least once. Or in my case somewhat regularly.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

2010 vintage
Even held directly up to a lamp, this beer shows little to no translucency. It is pitch black with a light tan thin head around the edges and in the center....no real lacing or froth.

The scent is very pleasant burnt dark chocolate; a hint of fruity sweetness but plenty of alcohol.

The roasted dark chocolate scent comes back in the after taste on the back of the throat; up front I can really taste the alcohol, but it is not overwhelming. The dark sweetness (almost berry like, but more of the syrupy berry flavor (in a good way)) is also there in the taste, but again not overwhelming. They do a very good job of keeping this beer well balanced and although the flavors are strong, non take over the flavor.

Although this is a very drinkable beer, even for a heavy stout, I thought the mouthfeel was the weakest element. There is not too unpleasant oil consistency - its a bit viscous. Overall, a very good beer that I am very much looking forward to in a year or two.

1.42/5  rDev -66.4%

Pours a deep pitch black color with a thin brown head and no lacing. Smells of rum raisins and hot messy alcohol. Not much else. A little rum raisin in the taste and then a huge burst of A1 Sauce or soy sauce. Maybe the beer needs a lot of age or something to become palatable. Mouthfeel is fine but drinkability is poor.

1.71/5  rDev -59.5%

I should start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of stouts, especially anything particularly high alcohol or oaky. That said, I usually enjoy at least a taster to explore the complex flavor profiles.

Not this beer. As far as I'm concerned it was 18% ABV soy sauce... the nice, thick, mouth-coating Chinese soy sauce. Blech.

I let it sit on the counter for about an hour before I got the strength of will to drain-pour. A sad moment indeed.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

A: This beer is black in color with no light coming through. Not much but bubbles for head. Some garnet hues on edges.

S: Dark chocolate, port, black cherries, raisins, roasted and burnt malt. Alcohol on nose and strong at that.

T: Rich flavors of currants, raisins, black cherries, port wine, some bitter chocolate, deep malt profile with chocolate and acrid burnt malt. Not much hop flavor just spicy and slightly bittering. Balance is definitely sweet.

M: Full body and somewhat syrupy with a strong alcohol vapor.

D: A strong, flavorful beer that is deep in complexity and very warming for the body. It is definitely a sipper and should be enjoyed slowly and not in quantity.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

All I have to say is wow.

This brew is incredible. It's dark in appearance, thick to poor into a sniffer and had a little bit of carbonation.

The nose of it will prepare you for the taste. It has an amazing complex aroma and is mirrored in taste by the first sip. Great body, and smooth ending.

What's surprising about this beer is how easy it is to drink given the high alcohol content. I'm almost reminded of a fine port wine when I have a glass.

I definitely recommend drinking this with a friend. One is enough to really put me away for the night. Hopefully they will one day bottle it in 8 oz bottles? I'd buy a four pack of that.

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

2010 vintage
I was very reluctant to buy this beer, as the high price always kept me away. Well after some discussion here and with other people I decided to give it a try.

Appearance is black with an oily look on the glass. The smell is very roasty and almost a little chocolate scent along with the alcohol, which to me is very present. That usually turns me off of a beer. The taste is something like I have never tasted in a stout with the high of an abv, I couldnt believe how drinkable it is. I couldnt have more then 1 of these in a sitting but I will most certainly be picking this up each yr. I want to try it with age on it now. Thanks dogfish for another great brew...

4.77/5  rDev +13%

1 bottle, poured into a large red wine glass

A - Pours a pitch black, with a thin fizzy head. Fizzes initially like Coca-Cola. Maintains a thin ring of foam around the edge of the glass throughout drinking, much like Coca-Cola.

S - Woody, deep, root beer like tones. Surprisingly smooth smell for how much alcohol is present in the brew. Usually really hot beers pinch the sinuses but this one smells terrific. In my opinion, this is the best even smelling beer I have had with this high ABV.

T - Roasty, malty goodness. The cola and root beer notes also come through in the tastes. Licorice tastes at the finish. Though I couldn't smell the heat, I can definitely taste it. It tastes exactly what it is: Dark, deep, roasted, and hot. Love it. The depth of taste is also something to note. I bought four bottles and plan on cellaring. This one has some serious potential to develop that depth over time.

M - Not as thick as one would expect. Not luscious and creamy, but not watery either. A nice medium. The closest thing I would compare it to is flat Coca-Cola.

D - Its a pretty hot brew. I only had one bottle, which went down well, but I wouldn't imagine having two in a row. Its so deep and complex that it really is the ideal after dinner sipper. Savor every drop.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Served in an oversized wine glass

A: pours entirely black with a finger of a fine foammy light brown head that develops late and lingers nicely

S: nice coffee notes, slight underlying sweetness

T: Wow! Far tastier than I had anticipated given the abv, first thing that hits the pallet is sweetness fallowed rapidly by coffee and typical stout notes

D/M: incredible complexity, strong on the pallet, slight alcohol tinge, medium carbonation effect

4.05/5  rDev -4%

A: The beer is jet black in color and poured with a thin mocha head that quickly faded away, leaving a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and some lacing in the center.
S: The smell becomes stronger as the beer warms up and has aromas of alcohol, licorice, molasses and raisins.
T: The taste shares similarities with the smell and has flavors of alcohol, raisins and roasted malts with a mild amount of sweetness.
M: It feels full-bodied and very viscous on the palate with a light amount of carbonation. There is a slight amount of dryness and warming from the alcohol is very evident in the finish.
D: Considering the strength of the beer, it isn't overly difficult to drink because a good portion of the alcohol content is masked from the smell and taste.

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

09 vintage on tap at tnd with some foie gras french toast. Decadent to say the least.

A- just the faintest touch of fizz around the edges when the glass arrived settles to a mirror finish. A good hard swirl brings back a touch of head but vanishes instantly again. Black, black, black in color with just a glimmer of ruby red brown at the edges.

S- chocolate liquor, dark fruits, almost burnt malts. There is a bit of nail polish remover that can detract some.

T- dark and roasty with a substantial sweetness and alcohol presence. Dark chocolate and booze soak dark fruits. Lots of molasses and brown sugar.

M- full bodied and a less then medium carb that just fights its way through the murk. A kick in the teeth on the heat, just hot as hell still.

D- I like this brew its a monster and loaded with abv but its amazing what 4 years will do to this. Had an 04 in 08 and the time did wonders to it. I guess a year just isn't enough.

09' Vintage. Have some 07', 08', and 09'. I've put this off because this is one of those brews that is well...transcendent. Too good for me but screw it, the 18% is making me bold.
appearance: Deep and dark middle with a reddish exterior. Tan head that recedes to near nothing.
smell: Oh yea...just perfect. The Taylor Fladgate 40 year old Tawny? That's amazing. This isn't that, but like it, it's better than the thing it is should be. Yes, there's sweetness, but tempered in the the right way. I hesitate to degrade this gestalt with specifics. Ok, there's something like molasses, and vanilla, a dark stout depth.
taste: I wouldn't be happy if i had to drink only 1 beer for eternity, but forced to choose, this might be it.
I see that some of the venerable folks on this site do not have a single perfect score. I respect that and this fact gave me pause.
That said, I can't think of a single way this beer could be improved.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

World Wide Stout is a pleasure to the senses. It pours like a coca-cola, dark, but not in the least bit transparent. The thin dark brown head rounds out an inviting appearance.

The aroma is a bit more than I expected. Strong and sharp, its as if you held the roasted malts right up in your nose. Definitely a bit more aromatic than most stouts I have encountered.

Strong on the palate, coffee notes abound, the slightly chalky feel compliments the overall smoothness of this brew. I can taste the fine roasted malts as I drink it, and the flavor hits every part of the palate. Truly a full bodied, exciting stout.

Its 15%, so a few glasses would likely over do it. But I found a great solution is a single glass with a large egg and bacon breakfast to start a nice, long day off.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

A - Dark black brew that pours thick out of the bottle. Little head retention that's brown and foamy, slowly going away as the beer warms up to room temperature.

S - Lots of complex aromas; roasty, coffee, chocolate, toffee.

T - Thick malty stout that has a brandy-like taste. High ABV definitely comes through, somewhat overpowers the flavors of the brew. Nothing that some cellaring can't cure.

M - Full bodied and lightly carbonated, this is a sipping beer to be enjoyed over time.

D - Good finishing beer after a day of tastings, but this will dull your palate for anything drank afterwards.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle between cellar and cool room temperature. I'm not seeing a date on this but guessing that it is Winter 2010. I did not age it anyhow.

A-Dark, but not as dark as some. Slight brown head that fizzes away like soda to a scuddy ring.

S-Pungent nose. Molasses, vanilla, burned candied sugar. Alcohol definately there, as would be expected. There is a roasted oaked quality here as well as bourbon soaked raisins. Behind it all, and the only drawback is an almost soapy odor.

T-I crack up when I see people calling a beer a "sipper". I'm not a sipping kind of guy, but folks, this indeed is a sipper. The intitial impression on the palate is a rich, sweet foaming burst of vanilla, molasses and date that hits you like a freight train then quickly fades into a brief smokey burned chocolate cherry before receding in a trail of tongue numbing alcohol buzz. Totally different, and I am totally in favor.

M-This brew is not really about mouthfeel as it is taken in pretty small quantities, but what strikes me is the way it foams up on the palate in the initial sip. Its sweet and slighly undercarbonated, syrupy, but not heavy.

D-I like this brew, and would buy it again, not for a stout fix, but to pour it into some tasting glasses and pass around the room and have some fun. Half a bottle is just about enough for me in one sitting (for now) and it is time to move on, but definately worth trying.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

2008 vintage.

Pours a very dark brown/black with minimal to no head even with aggressive pouring. Bubbles are dark brown/tan on top.

Smells strongly of dark fruit, chocolate, raisins, molasses, and milk duds.

Taste is very similar, with the dark fruit taste being complemented by the chocolate very well. Milk duds taste is prevalent as well, and the molasses/raisin sweetness is quite nicely paired with the alcohol warmth/kick near the end.

Consistency is very heavy and thick, as it should be for the style. Not as drinkable as some other strong stouts, but each sip is quite nice nonetheless.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours jet black with a small light tan head. In the aroma, big roasty malt and somewhat fruity, hints of raisin and fig. In the taste, big roasty malt and alcohol stand out, with underlying tastes of dark fruit, raisin, fig, and plum. A smooth and big bodied mouthfeel, with a dry dark fruit and dry alcohol aftertaste. A sipper, more like a cordial or port wine, but still a nice warm me up beer.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

First review from me. Thank you Kentucky for not having the same ABV laws as Ohio!

Pours very dark with a minimal head. Little lacing if any.
Like the label says there is a ridiculous amount of malts. Some rich fruits are deffinitely there.
It is noticeably a strong beer, as it should be at 18%, but it is well rounded.
This will be a new beer for me to age, but I am sure it will do well!
I live in cincinnati, if I did not have to cross the river and if it was not so expensive, this would be in my fridge/cellar all the time!

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

$10 for a 12oz bottle. But, I had to try it....

This bottle is only 2 months old. Echoing many other reviews, it probably needs to age more to be an A+ beer. The 18% is hidden well, would have guessed more like 10%-12%.

I like it, better than most. But, it didn't meet my expectations. I find that Dogfish is a capable brewery with a Napoleon complex. They are constantly trying to prove that they have the biggest [email protected]*k around.

My go to stouts are Old Rasputin and Brooklyn Chocolate. I'd drink either of those before this one....

Their best beer is the 90min IPA. But, that's saying a lot, the 90min is probably top 5 IPA in the world.

3.24/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured a perfect opaque black with the tan/coffee head. This is how a stout should look. I could definately smell roast, chocolaty flavors but there was a strong presence of a tinginess. These smells carried through the taste with a presence of mofe cararmel - like flavors and alcohol. From the taste, I guessed about 12%. Even though it is really 18%, the majority of it is hidden well. (p.s. don't drink too much of this... it hits you later!) The astringency was overbearing, and I feel with some time this will fade. I cannot wait for these to age in my cellar so I can enjoy it through and through. The low(er) score indicates how it tastes from the store. There was a good balance between the bitterness of the hops and the flavors from the malt, and this is why I believe it will be an A+ beer in a year or so.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Had it both on tap at the DFH alehouse and from a 12 oz bottle usually poured in a dimple glass or pint glass. The appearence is very dark with little head. Strong, but sweet scent of alcohol and coffee/chocolate. While the smell is of strong alcohol, the taste is much different. It tastes a bit sugary as well as syrupy and goes down very very smooth. The aftertaste is sweet as well. There is a very good job of hiding the alcohol taste. You certainly feel it after a short while though. This is absolutely a sipping beer on a cold winter night.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Had on tap last night at Fiddler's.

A- Pours a very black looking color. Half finger tan head dies almost right away. No real lacing on the sides of my glass except for a streak here and there.

S- Lots of roasted malts with a hint of bittersweet chocolate almost right through the entire aroma. Hints of cherry here and there with a almost sweet medicinal alcohol aroma in the very back end of the beer.

T- Roasted malts with a almost coffee like taste as well in the front of the beer. Middle of the this is bittersweet chocolate with a hint of cheery to it. The backing is more chocolate with some light alcohol notes. The alcohol doesn't really come in very much till the aftertaste with a light burning going down your chest.

M- Lighter mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style. Roasted malts and chocolate left on the palate. Aftertaste is bittersweet chocolate, warming alcohol, and light roast. Alcohol drying was medium on the palate. Flavors were well blended for the style and no off flavors were present.

D- This beer is dangerous. Dangerous for the sheer fact it was 20% and you couldn't taste it at all. Dogfish Head does it again in extreme brewing which I am always loving. Nice job guys.

4.82/5  rDev +14.2%

Found a 2008 bottle so i just had to go with it

Appearance: Dark, black even in the light i was a slight bronze mutate into the black bottom and no head no matter how hard i tried to make one it was not an option

Smell: malty malt malt with faint ethanol

taste: malty malt malt and little to no bitterness with a flavor of alcohol (it is 18%)

Mouthfeel: i felt like it was a malted milk shake that made my mouth pucker mmmm... scrumptious

Drinkability: slow and steady just the way i like it

3.52/5  rDev -16.6%

Well I was lucky enough to get this on a special cask night. I had never heard of this specific dogfish head beer. After reading a little bit about it I couldn't wait for this special cask night.

This beer is a mighty beast of a beer with its 18%abv. The pour had very little head and what was there initially was gone quite rapidly. There wasn't even any bubble ring lingering. This beer was served in a sifter. Since this beer has such a high alcohol content I was expecting to have a fairly fragrant smell. I was wrong; their wasn't anything that really grabbed you. The smell was very subtle and light. The first sip though was surprising. It really takes over your mouth. Very much like all the other high alcohol content beer I have had. I was having most of the taste reaction right where your nose come into your mouth. The high alcohol content gave this beer a subtle warming in the chest like rum. The overall mouth feel was light. The finish and overall taste reminded me of a port wine. So much so that I swear is was tasting a sweet raisin like flavor.

Going into this beer I had no expectations other than it could be another hit or miss. Dogfish Head have really been stepping it up in the exploratory beers and have really gotten my attention lately. While I don't love them all I do like most of them especially because they are not afraid to try new things. I buy their beer now because I like them a lot and want to support this beer exploration. I really liked this beer. I got a decent buzz from the high alcohol content and the taste was very good. This is definitely a beer you cannot rush. Get it on cask if you can. If you cannot I would imagine that this beast of a beer could do really well in a bottle. Oh and the price per glass was $7.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery