World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

#991

Ratings: 4,955 |  Reviews: 1,809
3.81/5  rDev -9.7%

Jet black but with more head than expected considering the high abv.

Aroma is dominated by the alcohol. Some sweetness from the malt.

The high abv is well-hidden actually. A light roast flavor with sweetness throughout. Rich. Licorice, chocolate, and sweetened coffee. Like a sweet liqueur version of an imperial stout. Complex and big but drinkable.

The most drinkable of all the Dogfish 18%s in my opinion.

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

I had this beer on tap at three Floyds Brew Pub. This beer was a great end to a night of excellent Three Floyds IPAS.

The beer was served on tap into a snifter. The menu stated this particular year was at 20% ABV.

The beer was jet black with a surprising amount of delicious creamy brown head for a stout.

The mouth feel was really light for a stout, not thick like most stouts. But it made it insanely drinkable for a 20% ABV beer.

The smell was beautiful full of dark roast malt, cherries and bittersweet chocolate.

The taste of this beer is awesome. I could not taste any alcohol at all which was very impressive for such a high ABV beer. There was just a nice smooth flavor of cherries, coffee, and bitter chocolate. The beer ended with a nice smooth chocolaty after taste that left me wanting more.

If you ever have a chance to drink this on draft, jump at the opportunity or you will regret it.

3.03/5  rDev -28.2%

12oz bottle, "bottled in 2010F", allowed to warm before being poured into my Duvel tulip.

World Wide Stout pours just about as black as you'd expect this massive a stout to be. I'm surprised the head is only a khaki color, and not a somewhat darker shade of caramel or milk chocolate. The cap only rises to about 2-2.5 fingers in height, and while there's a little bit of both retention and lacing, neither is at all remarkable in anyway. The nose does not give me much to be excited about. The only two aromas I can really pick out are licorice (an acceptable note for a stout, but not one of my favorites) and a solventy alcohol not (not welcome at all). While those flavors still dominate on my palate, at least here I can appreciate a little bit of dark chocolate and dark fruits. Overall though, the beer does taste a little green. The body is nice and full, to be honest I'm impressed that it's not prohibitively heavy given the massive ABV of this brew. Carbonation is just a bit too understated, lost in the sea of maltiness. To be honest, I am a little bit impressed World Wide Stout's not a little bit more boozy than it actually is. That said, I think some more time in the bottle will do it a world of good.

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

Had this bottle for quite a while, says it was bottled on the seventeenth of some month in 2009, as the first digits are illegible.

Pours pitch black, small tiny brown head from an aggressive pour. Looks like a typical stout, except for the almost non-existent head retention, just a small ring around the tulip.

Smell is holy hot alcohol. Ridiculous barley present too, but is surely overpowered by that huge alcohol presence.

Taste is fusel alcohol, like jet fuel in a glass. It is good, maybe a bit above average if you can handle it. Put some hairs on your chest.

Feel is slick and oily, as hot as a brew could possibly get. This sucker needs to sit around and cool down for another decade or two. Surely was opened too early. Drinkability obviously suffers here as the alcohol content in enough to knock a seasoned vet on his ass if he isn't careful. Good brew, would love to try one with more time on its hands. Cheers to DFH for such a good brew!

4.94/5  rDev +17.1%

I am partial to almost anything that comes out of Digfish Head but this is one of the only beers that I would honestly say that I could live in a glass of... Have had this 4 times. All experiences were shared bottles, from 11/17/09, in a snifter... Pours almost black with almost no head (I would assume due to the high abv) and an aroma that puts me in a happy place... Malty, Smokey, boozy, and just divine... Going in to thie one the first time I didn't know what to expect but the first sip was sweet and inviting and even though you can tell it is there the 18% isn't overpowering and for a Stout this is light and smooth and if Ohio would lift its 12% limit on beer and I could get this here I think I would drink a couple a week...

2.43/5  rDev -42.4%

I think this beer is just too much for me. I love stouts, but in my opinion with all of the barley that is in this beer, it just becomes very difficult to drink. I know that is to be expected at 18%, but after having beers like Black Tuesday or even 120 Min while I know they are very different, I can drink those beers very easily. I might give this beer a try again someday... but for right now I am going to say that this is not for me.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured from a bottle and into a pint glass.

Look - Jet black even when held up to the light. About a finger's worth of medium tan foam that dissipates slowly.

Smell - The label says, "a ridiculous amount of barley", and I believe they are correct. This brew smells insanely earthy!! A bit tangy, smells like some heavy amounts of fruits were used to balance out the taste.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Almost breathtaking even as it just sits on the tongue. Like the smell, very earthy in the taste at the beginning. Tastes much like a barleywine, and a good one. Strong kick during the middle and finish. Fruit tastes seem to come out in the taste too, but not quite as prominent. Texture is understandably more on the creamier side, but at the same time not too filling.

Drinkability - This is a pretty awesome-tasting and unique brew. Don't know what the abv is but it feels like it's a bit too strong for me to do multiples of in one night. Very cool beer though, glad I grabbed it.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

At Mekong in richmond. Arrived in a tulip. 10oz pour it looks to be, with a thin halo of dark brown head with a tiny lace. Aroma is sweet with some alcohol along with dark roasted malt and a light coffee and chocolate. Flavor is also a bit boozey with sweet thick malt. Very roasted malt nutty with a bit of chocolate. Sticky but not overly on the palate. Sippable with a bowl of pho.

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Recently opened a 2005 wws from the cellar. poured into a snifter

The beer pours a very dark brown to black color, with only the smallest amount of light being visible at the very edges of the glass, the only thing it was lacking was head, but with 5-6 years in the cellar I'm not surprised.

The smell is really excellent, its a velvety mix of dark fruits a subtle alcohol sweetness.

The taste follows the smell pretty closely, i can taste the dark fruits, a little note of raisons, and just like the smell an alcohol sweetness, not heat or even warmth.

The mouthfeel was incredible, very low carbonation and it was so silky smooth. the drinkablility for this beer is high even considering that it is 18%

excellent beer, if you get a chance to try vintage wws, do so

A - Pours very dark, nearly black, with a brownish head.
S - Smells like raisins and coffee. Definitely an alcohol component to the nose.
T - Very complex - roasted nuts, prunes, dried cherries, rum notes. Very very sweet as well - almost too sweet but not quite. Very delicate flavors throughout. Not nearly as much alcohol as expected.
MF - Goes down clean with not much residual flavor left in the mouth - a bit surprising. Nice though. Burns ever so slightly.
D - Shockingly high considering ABV - alcohol is very well disguised. Still, 8oz pour is enough for me, definitely.

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Had this on-tap at Jones Radiator.

A - 10oz pour which was plenty. Pours a dark dark brown with a thin tan head. The head dissipates quickly with little lacing but the light carbonation ring sticks around.

S - Smells boozy and roasty like an alcoholic cup of coffee.

T - The taste is sweet but not cloying in my opinion. This drinks like a strong white russian.

M - Silky smooth with light carbonation.

D - for 18% this is an easy drinker and a perfect sipping beer. It reminds me of a lot of dessert wine.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I split this one with me and a friend. The beer poured black, but not jet black as you would expect from an 18% stout. I can see through this one and I expected it to be a lot more dense. Extremely sweet malt hits the nose. The taste is what you would expect from the sniffing foreshadowing. Super sweet! The residual sugars almost give it a barrel aged taste. The Alcohol hits you first, followed by the sweetness and leaves you with a dry burning mouth. It's pretty thin on the mouth, especially from such a big beer. Anymore than half a 12oz could be too much. I'm glad I decided to split it.

2.76/5  rDev -34.6%

I feel like the aftertaste, brand name and appearance are the only things really holding this one up for me. I really wanted to like this, but I just can't do it...

A - stellar. dark thick brown/black, and I even managed to get an good tan brown head out of the pour despite the alcohol

S - smells of pure sweetness, syrup, dark barley, coffee, chocolate, and a touch of the booze all together

T - here's where the "no thanks" comes in. initial hit of dark sweet barley gives way to an intensely cloying sweetness that made me feel sick before it even hit the back of my throat. complex indeed, but ugly and overpowering. the finish ends up great, which is unfortunate because I have to go through hell to get to it. finishes as a tasty mix of the malt and warming alcohol burn. notes of the oak and fine wine remain as well. I'd say the entire 2 rating I gave it comes strictly from after the swallow

M - tingly bubbles and warm from the alcohol, otherwise sticky and like a flat soda

D - it's a bummer the finish on this is so amazing, because it's almost not worth it to get to. I'd love to give everything DFH makes a great rating because I love them in general, but I don't think this is my snifter of port at all, sorry

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Had in a Great Divide Snifter
2007 Vintage, stored at the liquor store in a box in the cooler.
A- Super black, pretty much no head. If you give it a swirl it brings up a bit of cola like fizzy for about 2 seconds.

S- BOOZE. But in a good way. Vanilla seems really prevalent too. And maybe oak? I don't think this is barrel aged, but it smells that way. It comes across as...formidable.

T&M- Much much better than expected. At 18% I was expecting a booze bomb. But it is very well balanced for such a big beer. There is booze, milk chocolate, vanilla and just a dash of hop bitterness on the end for dryness. Quite sweet, but not overpoweringly so. The booze is there, but it's built into the flavor profile, as opposed to being it's own distinct flavor.

D- Surprisingly high drinkability for an 18% ABV. I could almost see myself drinking two of these in a night. Almost.

Lovely beer overall, DFH continues to surprise with their balance. Even with their crazy concoctions, they rarely let any one flavor run amok, even when I expect it too. This definitely goes into my top 4 or 5 stouts.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

2010 vintage poured into tulip glass, shared between 4 people.

A: Poured a DEEP black color, but not as syrupy as I would have thought when initially purchased.

S: Great nose on this one. Dark chocolate notes, coffee, etc. Really enjoyed!

T: Much like the nose, I got the chocolate/coffee/woody notes. Better as it warmed up too. Take your time with this one. Let it breathe.

M: Doesn't coat the mouth as much as I would have assumed.

D: Really pleasant to drink actually, but due to high ABV you'll probably be splitting this one OR only consuming ONE.

Great beer from DFH. Looking forward to searching for other older vintages and sticking them in the cellar. Check it out if you haven't already!

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color, almost black. It has a nice 2-finger dark creamy tan head, that fell a sort of fast. The head left some good lacing on the glass. This one really looks delicious.

S - This smells of deep dark roasted malts and caramel sweetness. there is a definite booze presence here, but it's not too overwhelming. The booze presence becomes stronger as it warms. There are also notes of coffee, chocolate, brown sugar, and some dark fruits.

T - It starts off with a big roasty bitterness. The bitterness is followed by a nice caramel sweetness and a big boozy bite. There are good notes of coffee, brown sugar, dark fruits, and molasses. This has a very nice complex taste, and the booziness is much more hidden than I expected it to be.

M - This has a nice medium-full body and good carbonation. There is some alcohol warmth present, as well as some nice bitterness. It is actually a bit thinner than I thought it would be.

D - The drinkability of this is very good, especially for being 18% ABV. It is a sipper for sure, but it goes down easy, and it has great flavor. I really like this beer. I had high hopes for this beer, and I was not let down. I think this is an awesome imperial stout, and I would definitely drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Ink dark pour, with a slight toffee-tinged head. Very strong scent on this one: it smells heavily of vanilla and caramel, with a touch of chocolate too. The taste is much the same...vanilla and caramel flavors dominate and I can get a taste of chocolate and coffee a bit later. There's a whole lot of sweetness and a definite alcohol bite, though not as much as I might expect for 18%ABV and this beer is definitely very smooth. Mouthfeel is certainly pretty thick...especially as the beer warms, it becomes a bit syrupy (which is to be expected with such a sugary and alcoholic drink.) This beer is delicious, but is definitely for light sipping. Almost a dessert beer, it's great in small quantities, but I wouldn't want to drink an entire 12-oz. bottle myself.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Had this last night at my house with an Oliva V cigar. Very nice flavored stout. Very easy to drink and a beautiful look of the beer. That dark brown to black look was very pleasing.

The smells of coffee or chocolate was there. Not a huge taste of alcohol and you can taste the barley! I did love the rich, roasty and darkish taste. Not my favorite all time but, it will make the rotation.

3.45/5  rDev -18.2%

We did a Dogfish Head stout NYE with WWS followed by Bitches Brew.

Opaque black liquid with deep chestnut edges. Thin, dark clay colored head fades instantaneously to a thin, phatasm-shaped skim.

Vinous dark fruit, esspresso and brown sugar aroma. Heat comes across as fresh paint smell that somewhat diminishes as it warms.

Taste is more vinous dark fruit, grape drank if you will, with a balancing roast in back. Molasses and brown sugar complexity. Uber-sugared Dunkin' Donuts black coffee. Mouthfeel is full but not 18% full.

In fairness I had this at BeerFest when it went through Randall stuffed with coffee beans so I'm a little dissapoined. I want a Randall.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

This is a pitch black brew with a quarter inch thick tan head that fades pretty quickly, but does leave a thin layer on top.

Smells of roasted malt, chocolate, deep, dark over-ripened fruit, vanilla and of course some alcohol.

Huge, complex flavors come together here. Initially sweet big roasted malted barley, sweet, dark fermented fruits, dark chocolates, dark roasted coffee, earthy hops and a nice if not expected, warming alcohol finish.

Thick and full, leaves a coating - good carbonation.

This is a tremendous imperial stout. Bearing in mind the abv, this one is a brew to be savored slowly.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Bottled date: 11-14-08

V: Dark brown coffee colored pour with barely a finger of creamy tan head which dissipates quickly, but leaves a bit of lacing around the sides of the glass.

A: Pungent. Licorice, raisin, dark fruitiness. Faint alcohol undercurrent. Swirling the glass releases a sweet graininess.

T: Very boozy at the beginning, which gives the expectation of a huge alcohol aftertaste, but finishes very clean. Very warming! The aftertaste is a complex marriage of chocolate, dark fruits, and grains; worth pondering over. Wish it was a bit less boozy.

M: A bit dry and thin, which is surprising. More like a porter. Carbonation is negligible. Very smooth, though.

D: This is a beer that demands sipping, and is best shared with a friend. It loses drinkability points for the massive alcohol content, but is redeemed by its complex and highly enjoyable flavors. Makes you long for an extra sharp cheddar or salty blue cheese as a pairing.

3.87/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Dark pour with a small mocha head. Decent retention and lacing.

S: Smell is heavy on the malts, chocolate, a slight booziness, and barley. Also I'm getting some dark fruits and molasses. Really interesting smell.

T: Taste is of barley, roasted malts, and warming alcohol. Chocolate/Coffee flavor finishes it up to balance the intensity up front.

MF: The alcohol is a little too dominant for me, but it is rounded out nicely. Lots of heavy flavors in this one.

D: I don't think that more than a glass or so should be consumed at once. Lots going on here, take it slow and enjoy them!

8/13/11 Updated

Heaven and Hell Review

A: Black pour, a little lighter than WWS. Hardly any head remains. 3.5

S: Boozy. Seems like the majority of the smell is 120, even though I thought it had more WWS in it. Grassy hops, some malts, and a ton of booze. 4

T: The taste really follows everything else I'm seeing. While WWS makes its presence known, 120 Minute really shines through. Getting similar hops, grapefruit, and booze profile as 120, with the heaviness and slight maltiness from the WWS. 4

MF: Heavier than 120, nicely carbonated. TON of booze. 3.5

O: Thought this was great. Better than WWS, not on the level of 120. 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Been cellaring this bottle for over 2 years. Bottled on 11/14/08.

Poured into my large brandy snifter, a nice one-finger espresso crema head builds, but doesn't last. It's the color of dirty motor oil. It's probably about 50-55 degrees.

By the time I'm done nosing this beer, the head is gone. Can't quite pick up the hops anymore. Gosh it smells just sweet. Molasses, raisin, milk chocolate, a tiny bit of booze heat. Nice.

Sweetness again. What little I can remember the younger bottle I drank was more bitterness - hoppier and more dark chocolate notes, not so sweet. Now there's some licorice coming through, sweet chocolate, and the coffee I'm getting is closer to strong drip coffee than espresso. You can still tell this beer was pretty aggressively hopped at brew time, but only a faint hop flavor remains after 2 years. It's really sweeter than my favorite imperial stouts, which I often don't age this long, so I'm giving it a 4.

Booze-wise, this one has mellowed big time. I actually might be able to drink another, if I had it. Which I would never have even entertained had I not laid this down for so long. Not at all crushable, but certainly pleasant to sip on.

Personally I think if you want a different experience between new and old World Wide Stout, you can probably get away with a one year rest. Cheers.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

This has been aging in my refrigerator for a year.

Poured into a tulip glass, it has a better than expected head for a beer this strong. Each swirl refreshes the head with 1/4" of foam which slowly fades and lingers. Dark black.

A boozy-sweetness is the first aroma I get, followed by licorice, raisins, some type of spice but I can't place it.

Molasses and brown sugar hit right away, and then, wow, does it ever warm up the mouth! Very sweet, but the alcohol is remarkably hidden.

Mouthfeel maybe the strongest part of this brew, as it is warms and coats the mouth and throat. As I swallow it, I kind of want to wave goodbye as it disappears. slight carbonation is present.

I'm not sure how to rate drinkability for this. It tastes really good and is great for sipping, which is what I was expecting. However, it is so strong that you couldn't drink a lot. It is also expensive at about $10 /12oz bottle.

But c'mon, for an 18% beer to be this smooth? Awesome job, Dogfish Head1

So, for me this is a treat that I shall savor but probably not repeat unless I get it as a gift.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into an pint glass.

Pours a jet black color, has a light tan head that is fluffy and settles to a thin lace coating. Some spattering of lace clings to the glass the whole way. Good looking brew.

Brew smells of huge barley malts, chocolate, coffee and roasted malts as well. Good smell.

Brew is full bodied; thick and smooth accompanied by a sweet and roasted malt flavor. Sweet booze and roasted barley malts can be tasted in the middle. The beer has a super warming effect. Finishes dry and slightly bitter. Nutty, and almost oak or wood. Can taste coffee and roasted notes as well. A strong brew indeed. Very good taste and feel.

Very good stuff here - be careful and drink slow. Sip and enjoy on a cold night as this will warm you a$$ right on up. Great stuff.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery