World Wide Stout | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Added by Todd on 01-02-2002

#904
Liked:
4.22/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,873 |  Reviews: 1,792
3.63/5  rDev -14%

Wow. I split this bottle with a friend because I couldn't see myself drinking the whole thing. I'd already had a couple and planned on having a couple more, so I knew I'd be getting myself in trouble with the abv. I'm glad I split it because I was able to have enough to enjoy it without having too much. It's something akin to a really rich chocolate; it's just so rich that you almost feel like you can't possibly consume the whole serving.

Pours very dark (black) with a fairly small head. Considering the alcohol, I was a little surprised that it was as dark and as not-too-flat as it was. The alcohol aroma is strong -- very pungent -- and detectable from several feet away. Subtlties include cocoa and prunes. It's a very aromatic beer, but the alcohol aroma is almost overpowering. I can't help but feel that the other aromas would be more pronounced and enjoyable if there were just a bit less alcohol in the nose. I appreciate the extreme aroma and flavor, but it's just a tiny bit too far for my tastes.

The flavor is dominated by alcohol, but it's backed up nicely by a pretty good assortment of roasted malts, chocolate, and overripe fruit.

I couldn't possibly drink this more than once in a long while. It's so clearly a beer made for the few folks who can actually stomach it; most people I know, even people who drink beer, couldn't have much of this before it burned their throats out. Anyhow, it's enjoyable and drinkable because it's engaging and interesting, but it's way too over the top to be a beer standard to my standard lineup of weekly beers.

4.64/5  rDev +10%

Easily the most complex flavor I've tasted in a beer. Spicy, nutty, fruity, and of course, ultra-alcoholic. I'm not sure how to rate it's drinkability; while it is one of the tastiest brews I've had, the alcohol content deters you quite a bit. I just couldn't get into that "wine drinking" state of mind. A perfect after dinner drink, or perhaps it should be had as the main course. Either way, it is a truly amazing drink. It belongs in the Louvre.

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%

I did not think this style of beer would work. The style I'm talking about is the insane amount of alcohol content. I thought that the Samuel Adam's Triple Bock tasted like marsala wine, but dogfish head changed my thinking. It had little head that dissipated quickly (not too much of a concern since it would take me forever to drink it anyway.) Very robust aroma. The taste is sweet like prunes and alcohol is obviously apparent. I was amazed at my first sip. It gave me a very warm feeling as if I was drinking a fine scotch. One of my friends made a comment about how slow I was drinking it. Ok, so I'm not man enough for this beer, but I did finish it eventually. It might be a good idea to share this with friends (even though it costs $9 a bottle.) That's the only reason it lost drinkability points, but if the occasion is right the $9 just might be worth it.

3.62/5  rDev -14.2%

After trying some other "Let's see how strong we can make this" brews (Sam Adams Triple Bock for instance) I was suprised to find that there was more to this brew. Decent taste!!! What a concept!! This beer tasted like coffee ice cream when first poured semi-cold. A very nice sweetness at first, with ice cream really coming to mind, masking the alcohol as well as one could expect at 23%. At first it seemed there was no way this was 23%, but when I let it warm a bit the alcohol was STRONG and the beer seemed more like a brandy. Split a 12oz and that's about all I could drink of this stuff, but compared to the Sam Adams (about the only brew i've had that is similar to this) this brew was much more drinkable and enjoyable to drink. A novelty nonetheless, but a solid effort. Drink this one cold.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Here it is, my first "real-time" review. I will type my thoughts as I drink, and it's no ordinary brew at all. This is my second bottle of this mighty stout, the first one gave me one of my worst hangovers of all time. It was my 5th beer of the night, but it counted for 5 more! I'm more in my right mind tonight...
First off, someone didn't like the label! The words "vim and vigor" are markered out! My guess is that someone in government beurocracy thought that the phrase suggested healthy properties to the beer. Idiots! So now it reads "A very dark beer brewed with ridiculous amounts of barley,"
Color is completelely, fully Stygian black, head is a good 1/2", that slims down right quick, and a tannish hue. Aroma is strong and powerful from the start. Magnificent! Deep, dark, roasty and toasty, boozy, rummy, ...the deeper I drinker in the nose, the more the alcohol kicks into my senses! Like a rich, roasted cognac! A stick of molasses candy, wrapped in a licorice whip and doused with a cocktail of Meyer's, Amaretto, B&B, and Booker's bourbon! This aroma is utterly unheard of! Now to drink the damned thing!
Gargantuan mouthfeel, thick, rich...well, really those phrases are useless in this case, I need something stronger. You bite, you chew, and this dark, lush, and, yes, dangerous elixir washes over the mouth , the senses swim, reaching and grasping for adequate words to describe the experience, yet always wanting. Alcohol is sharp and stinging, always present, always snaking itself up and in and "Drunkening". Malt is massive in this mammoth stout, providing thick flavor and booze, glorious booze. I can't detect a stitch of hops anywhere. So who needs 'em, Mac?
"How dry I am...how dry I am..nobody knows...how dry I--HIC!"
Tiny sips, brother, tiny sips, there's no guzzling allowed with this monster, unless you're some kind of maniacal masochist.
I had to take the drinkability factor way down because there's no way you can have more than one, unless you have a death wish.
I wish, I wish, I wish this came in tiny bottles and was a hell of a lot cheaper. That'd make a nice, lovely nightcap. I wish, I wish...yeah, all those wishes and a magic wand will grant me world peace and a date with Salma Hayek...
Oh!What!A!Beer!...Time for beddy bye, y'all!
Oh...this is lovely...yum..snzzzz..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2.41/5  rDev -42.9%

After reading all of the reviews and hearing the hype...I just had to try...
I am going to go against the masses here...I did not like this one...
Appearance was dark black...dark tan head (what little there was)...almost none
Aroma...slightly sweet and alcohol...reminded me of medicine...
Flavor...wretched...like cough syrup...
If I didn't shell out $8 for it I would have poured it out...instead I hold my breath and drink...NEVER again

3.52/5  rDev -16.6%

Where's the Warning on the Label?
"Holy Shit, Batman, I can't find the Bat Cave!” bellowed Robin. "Stop trying to look ‘hic’ through your glass of 'World Wide Stout' Robin, and pleash try to shtay in your own lane," slurred Batman. This little scenario should help illustrate the two basic elements of this beer...Really Dark and Really Strong, or very malty and extremely alcoholic!

Batman would of course, normally be driving the Bat Mobile, warding off danger and thwarting evildoers, but tonight he can't even find his feet. For you see, The Caped Crusader and The Boy Wonder have been deceived by the wicked jokester, Dogfish Head, into drinking 'World Wide Stout' (23% abv). The extraordinarily abundant barley creates an extremely sweet and rich malty body laced with vanilla. Loads of hops per bottle provide serious bitterness and complex aromas. Yet none of the extraneous elements of this brew fail to mask the overwhelming level of alcohol within. Obviously well crafted, but terribly irresponsible of the brewer not affix the 23% warning!

Were Batman and Robin aware of Dogfishes sinister plot to provide an extremely alcoholic beer without ample warning? Hell Yes! They read BA. They were just out to get bombed anyway! … How they wound up weaving and careening down the streets of Baghdad was anyone’s guess.

2.41/5  rDev -42.9%

Pours a gorgeous super deep black, with a quickly diminishing small tan head that leaves no lacing. As soon as the top came off, the alcohol aroma was present, as was lots of dark fruitiness (raisin, plum), some syrup, and some chocolate. Flavor was overly sweet to start, slightly better in the middle when the fruit, syrup, and chocolate flavors mix and mellow a little, and then the alcohol kicks in with a tongue numbing, belly warming thump. This is probably not something I would try again, just not my style.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

2001 version. Utterly opaque with the deepest possible black onyx hue. Thin, but tight and impressively persistent creamy brown head considering the high alcohol content. Sparse, oblong foam aggregates decorate the glass. Intense waft of heaty alcohol drenched prunes and oak lend a fruit laced bourbon impression upfront in aroma. Alcohol heat diminishes, allowing deeply rich bittersweet chocolate, carob and carbonaceous, smokey roasted barley to surface. Fruit of a figgy nature emerges towards the end of the aroma, along with judicious, mellow butterscotch. Delectable, and akin to a tawny port / imperial stout hybrid aromawise. As the beer warms, a slightly salty, molasses and soy sauce combination becomes perceptible. In flavor, a surge of milk chocolate and residual unfermented sugar bathes the palate initially, then is ensued by a combination of coffeeish roasted barley bitterness and pseudosweet ethanol. Mellow dark fruit emerges mid palate, and is comprised of expected dried prunes, but a note of tart, mildly acidic black currants adds contrast. Molasses tinged sweetness persists as a constant undertone and is only partially offset by overshadowed hop bitterness. Full bodied, viscous, with a tongue coating oily mouthfeel that borderlines on being syrupy. Finishes long, with notes of treacle and anise diminishing slowly, only to be superceded by enveloping alcohol warmth. A complex, intense, yet unexpectedly balanced beer. World Wide Stout is like an imperial stout in overall character, but with a more pronounced ethanol, port like character. If you're ever indecisive about choosing a vintage port or imperial stout, drink this and have your cake and eat it too. I do feel, however, that similar complexity could've been acheived with much lower alcohol content. Superb drinkability, with a creeping ethanol presence. Almost wonderful.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Cola black…fiz like alka seltzer eminates from the center…that’s pretty cool….nose is heavy alcohol like rum..sweet dark fruits…plums…bing cherries…red grapes..an incredible aroma..almost port like..very little alcohol on the buds…it’s there on the long finish, but not big on first taste…low carbonation creates a silky, velvet like mouthfeel..sticky and sweet on the lips..much easier drinking than you’d guess at 23%..More of a triple bock or port in my opinion than a stout but very, very enjoyable..

4.06/5  rDev -3.8%

Well what do you say about a beer that’s 23% alcohol? “Holy Cow Batman”!

As it s sets in the glass, “Dark as the inside of a Cow”, the head microscopic, the color dark chocolate, texture spumous, the lace patchy. Alcohol quite evident, bananas and pineapple, sweet, underpinned by the malt, start is sweet as eating sugar from the bowl, some malt, and the top full, finish “ZAP, ZING, WHOOF”, all alcohol with the hops present but buried under the alcohol, dry and long lasting aftertaste. More than warms the belly, sets it on fire, definitely not meant for people who aren’t into ferine, beastly, bestial, brutal beers, I love it, but only once a year.

3.42/5  rDev -19%

I've been sitting on a bottle of this for a few months, waiting for the right time to try it. It's a quiet, peaceful, snow-covered night, and the time seems right, so...

Appearance: Pours absolutely pitch black with an opaque body. It's head starts off fairly decent, about half an inch thick, then fizzles away to a tiny ring of lace around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Has a powerful, far-reaching aroma of alcohol, roasted coffee, vanilla, rum, raisons, dark fruits, and so on... The alcohol smell is the strongest.

Taste: The first impression I get is one of sugary sweetness. All of the smells listed above show up in the flavor as well, and again the alcohol seems to take center stage. The hops show up after the swallow, in the aftertaste. It's quite complex, but the wicked alcohol taste makes it a bit hard to pick out exact flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, with the alcohol sucking all moisture out of your mouth for a painfully dry finish. There's little to no carbonation here, as swirling it brings up a tiny head that disappears a few moments later.

Drinkability: To be honest, the drinkability here is not all that great. But that's the fault of the beer style, not the individual brew. I'm only writing one beer review tonight, because after I finish this one, my taste buds will be shot.

I looked forward to this brew for a while, and though I enjoyed it, I can't help but feel like it's a novelty brew...a by-product of a pissing-contest between Dogfish Head and the Boston Brewing Company...

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

This pitch black beer exits the bottle in almost a syrupy manner and exhibits virtually no head. The thin ring of dark tan foam clings to the outer rim of the glass. The aroma is alcohol, malts and fruit, topped of with a bit of hops and some more alcohol. The taste is very sweet and thick. Alcohol notes are prominent, along with sweet fruits like grape and plum. It is essentially like a sweet ruby port with a shot of bourbon in it. Since I like each almost as much as I like beer, this is a dream beer to me. The sweet wine notes linger around seemingly forever in the aftertatse, like a good chocolate truffle. I'll have to consider buying a couple more bottles to age. The mouthfeel is thick and luxurious as it coats the tongue. The drinakbility is good considering the ABV of the beer. One bottle will last an afternoon, but on certain occasions I can see me yearning for another one of these babies. Like today, amidst the beginning of one of the larger snowfalls of recent years. What a perfect day to sip a bottle of World Wide Stout. Another fine brew from Dogfish Head.

3.89/5  rDev -7.8%

The aroma was very strong even before I poured the liquid into a glass. And then I could savor the aroma bringing vanilla, roastiness, raisins, and dark fruits to mind....and of course alcohol. My first taste required a deep deep breath afterwards. The strength in flavor and alcohol kick is very very high. But surprisingly the alcohol isn't overpowering at all. It's very warm with a slight burn down the throat and that's it. The warmth stays and the burn goes. During that process, rich flavors of molasses, chocolate, and coffee present themselves smoothly. This beer definitely needs to be sipped. I started out with fast sips and my stomach is feeling pretty heavy. But as your stomach warms and the beer warms, it is very smooth to drink. Of course the last few sips will be tough to taste as well since the 23.04% ABV will have kicked in already. This is why I rated drinkability lower, because you simply don't need a second bottle. Buy this, no matter what price. And savor it.

4.04/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer was more than I expected a BEER to be. It had a tar like color and consistency. Its nose was sweet, malty and reminiscent of a port. The taste of a tawny port followed with a malt and chocolate back round. This beer was certainly original and very much an aperitif in its sweetness and evident alcohol taste. Not an everyday beer by any means but good if you want to be warmed up after the first sip. I could picture myself drinking this on a ski lift out of a flask and enjoying every thick, sweet and warm sip.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Looks can be decieving. This ordinary 12 oz. bottle with typical bottle cap and earthy grain motif contains some sophisticated flavor. Smells like coffee brandie and apricots, tastes like coffee, chocolate, buttersctoch, and astringent hops. Mouthfeel is extraordinary. Surpisingly carbonated, reletively complicated, and exceptionally smooth.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

Deep mahogony in color, so much so that it is almost black. No light getting through this baby. But if this beer is a baby, it's BamBam Rubble on steroids.

Woody fruitwood aroma. Currants, plums, raisins and yes alcohol(what else would you expect?).

Sweet and warming, almost brandy like. You could put this stuff in a bota bag for a run down the slopes, offer it to anyone out there, and they would never guess it was a beer. Toasted malt flavors and aromas become more apparent as the beer warms. Fermented cherries and blackberries seem to be present too.

Thick and sticky with low carbonation. There is just no room for it in this beer.

Although I know I can't have much more than one at a sitting, I found this to be very drinkable, in sips, but drinkable. I will buy this again and again.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

There is not much that I can say that was not covered in Jason's excelent review. The World Wide Stout is definatlly the Port of beers. Its complex bouquet and delicate raisin notes make it as complex as a good port. I would rather to dirnk a glass of nice merlot than port, and likewise prefer less potent stouts but on a special occasion it is quite a treat.

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz brown bottle with the words “vim & vigor” crossed out with a black marker. Packaged in date notched on the side of the label.

Appearance: Fizzy with a soda like crackling, no head above the pitch black brew … with the higher alcohols it is not a surprise. Thin film clings to the glass as it is swirled around. Can’t really knock the head too much, these are the kinds of beer that thrive elsewhere.

Smell: Gargantuan solvent fumes permeate the nostrils. Creamy vanilla, smells of aged port with some wood tones as well as some chocolate and roasted notes … chocolate covered raisins?

Taste & Mouthfeel: The little carbonation that was there is mostly knocked out from the pouring. Super creamy and slightly syrupy with a drawn-out slickness. Extremely prominent alcohol character but not too much to handle, seems a bit together and mellow after a few sips. Hints of chocolate and charcoal (barrel pitch). Bourbon in a woody vanilla way entangles the palate with a creamy sweetness and the alcohol infiltrates the soul as it slowly warms the body.

Drinkability & Notes: Right up there with Samuel Adams Utopias MMII, worth the $9 a bottle. I’ll be buying more of this and saving them for dismal weather days. High regards to the brewers for putting such a unique and stellar brew into the market.

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%

Woah! Strong!!! Pours out black with no head to speak of. You can taste the kick, but also many other flavors stand out. This is a complex brew. I put one to rest to see how some age helps it. This is not a beer to fool around with. Sip it and take it slow. You will be rewarded for your patience. And if you have some extra cash on hand I think it would be funny to hook up some of the average drunkards up with this 23% brew just to see what happens. Tell them to break out the bong! haha.

all you need is one

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

World Wide Stout: This was undoubtedly the 2002 release, as it had a huge alcohol aroma, and huge alcohol warmth. Plus, the label had the words “vim and vigor” crossed out by a black marker (I hope the poor souls that had that job had plenty of WWS to keep their spirits up). There is very little that I can add to describe this beer beyond the fact that every beer advocate must search out this beer and split with a friend.

It is extremely complex, dark, thick and a wonderful beer to sip. Extremely rich tastes of molasses and some coffee flavors as well. I was surprised that it had some head, and some carbonation, I had expected it to be a still beer like Utopias. This beer is not for the faint hearted and must be tasted to be believed.

3.08/5  rDev -27%

Black but not completely opaque with no head. The aroma is burnt wood, chocolate, coffee (hints) and fruit in the first stages of rot all riding an alcoholic wave. The flavor is less rotten, surprisingly smooth despite the aroma, but too sweet. Comes across really cloying. I tasted this with gthank and he described it as a chocolate port and I can see that. The mouthfeel is thick and oily with a mild burn going down. Have a bottle of this is all I can handle, which is good because the full bottle would have me a little too buzzed.

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

I cannot believe how good this beer was. I have had many beers in my life, but few have left me in much a great mood.
I seem to have found a bargain, as I spent only $6 for a 12oz bottle.

As stated in previous reviews the high abv is concealed beautifully. It is amazing how easy and smooth this beer was to drink, from the pour to the last drop Dogfish never disappointed.

A great end to a good day. Especially a extremely cold Northwest Jersey day.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Pours an opaque black with very little head that turns into a nice collar around the rim of the glass. The smells are very complex, I first think of twizzlers soaked in vodka then it a malti nose then hops hit me. Wow this is pretty complex. The first few sips are strong alcohol stinging the tongue, that end with a malty kick. This is a great brew and I wish that they made the 25% that they were looking for.

Cheers

3.02/5  rDev -28.4%

Very dark beer. Not much in the way of appearance except darkness. The initial taste is that of alcohol. It is hard to distinguish any real standout flavors but it is very strong and stout like. Sipping is a must with this one. I would much rather have a glass of Sam Adams Millenium or Utopias over this anyday. Like oil.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery