Lupu-Luau IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

The first Hawaiian Luau in 1819 bucked tradition while maintaining respect for a rich legacy, so when we set out to create this namesake IPA, we found our own way to rebel against restrictive limits of known brewing ingredients while honoring Dogfish's brewing tradition.

What began as an exploration of all things hazy and pale, Lupu-Luau morphed into a coconut-centric IPA. We combined Pils malt with flaked barley, rolled oats, and malted and raw wheat to bring the haze. Then we brought coconut to the party in 3 different ways with toasted coconut, dehydrated coconut water and an experimental hop variety that provides a unique coconut & woody aromas.

Added by kell50 on 06-25-2017

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
4.37/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Hmm, a unique new DFH IPA brewed with toasted coconut, dehydrated coconut water (which I guess is just coconut water... powder? Not sure really) and what I assume to be Yakima Ranch's HBC-472 experimental hop, aka one of the "Neomexicanus" wild varietals. I believe I've seen this hop varietal used in a Sierra Nevada beer or two before, as its description of "coconut and woody" rang a distinct bell in my head. Anyway, on to the beer at hand!

Pours a fairly hazy golden yellow-ish color with a strong head formation right off the bat and a really nice showing of chunky, consistent lace. Retention is pretty damn good, as I still got a solid finger after almost ten minutes in my glass while I sipped at it to consider and ponder this one. Some lazy streams of carbonation rise from the bottom of my glass here, as well... the haze is pretty deep but not enough so that I can't see what's going on beyond it, which is something I appreciate. This is one of those examples of a moderate/middling approach to haze working, in my opinion.

Nose is strongly peach-forward, with stiff oak tones, coconut, lime and guava/passion fruit tropical-ness as well. This positively jumps out of the glass and comes across quite impressive and confusing right off the bat. Like many DFH seasonal beers, this provoked a total "ummm... hm. O...kay, I think that's good?" from me initially, but it's grown on me quite a bit over the session I've been spending with it. This feels more fruit-forward (and stone fruit-forward at that) than the only other point of reference I really have in the tropical coconut IPA category, J Wakefield/Finback's amazing collaborative effort, Smooth Beats Miami. Whereas that beer is quite heavy on the coconut/macadamia elements in the nose, this seems to be favoring the experimental hop they used. I like both approaches a lot, honestly, though. I'm surprised this is so distinct from its only other reference point. I feel like even more could be done with this idea!

Really surprising flavors come across here, too. Deep, detailed, bready malt provides a backbone for more tannic notes, and suggestions of toasted coconut, kaffir lime, peach candy and guava. This is super-smooth and unique. Slight orange, vanilla, herbal (almost Noble-esque) hops with a moderate bitterness. The only issue I really have with this is that the bitterness isn't pushed enough and seems to rely too strongly on the one hop varietal. I find myself wishing for a little bit more punch and resin-like quality, but I figure that would be pretty tough to balance with everything else going on here, so I understand why it (likely) wasn't implemented.

Feel is medium bodied with tempered carbonation. Strongly malty, fruity and herbal flavors upfront are helped along by this disposition, but the finish seems disproportionately weighty and fails to achieve the dryness and quenching quality I prefer from my Summertime IPAs. DFH has never been extraordinarily good at normal strength IPAs (see more modern entries such as Flesh & Blood which has similar mouthfeel issues in my opinion), and this suffers from similar problems. The overall package is quite good, but dissecting it leads to some consistency problems in how the parts make up the whole. I still really enjoyed this and may seek out a few more bottles. Probably wouldn't want six of them though. As I've said in other reviews where I've come to similar conclusions... take that how you will!

4.09/5  rDev +7.9%

4.08/5  rDev +7.7%

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is citrus/tropical fruit/zest and mild toasted coconut. The flavor is citrus, slightly sweet coconuts, malts and a mix of tart and mild hop resin in the finish.

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.42/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottled on 06/24/17

Pours hazy gold with a dense creamy frothy white foam head. Smells like coconut, vanilla, grapefruit, pineapple, passionfruit, orange citrus, caramelized crackery malts, with floral woody earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like coconut, vanilla, grapefruit, pineapple, passionfruit, orange citrus, caramelized crackery malt, with bitter floral woody earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium bodied, creamy with smooth moderate carbonation. Overall a nice and interesting coconut IPA.

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last