Lupu-Luau IPA

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Lupu-Luau IPALupu-Luau IPA
Notes: The first Hawaiian Luau in 1819 bucked tradition while maintaining respect for a rich legacy, so when we set out to create this namesake IPA, we found our own way to rebel against restrictive limits of known brewing ingredients while honoring Dogfish's brewing tradition.

What began as an exploration of all things hazy and pale, Lupu-Luau morphed into a coconut-centric IPA. We combined Pils malt with flaked barley, rolled oats, and malted and raw wheat to bring the haze. Then we brought coconut to the party in 3 different ways with toasted coconut, dehydrated coconut water and an experimental hop variety that provides a unique coconut & woody aromas.
Reviews: 123 | Ratings: 400
2.63/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a hazy golden color with a two finger, soapy white head. Retention is about average for the style and there are some whispy patches of lacing left on the glass.

Smell is pretty subtle. Some sweet coconut comes through and when the beer is agitated there is some citrus as well.

Taste is gross. So much coconut that is seems artificial. It reminds me of drinking coconut tanning oil with a little bit of a bready malt backbone. Fucking horrendous.

Feel is light and smooth with moderate carbonation. The coconut manages to cling to the palate well into the aftertaste giving it the slightest bit of stickiness.

Overall, no. I swore off buying any new DFH IPAs after the disaster called Flesh and Blood, but my wifey wanted to try this so we got a 6pk. Absolutely disgusting. The worst part is that I love coconut, but this is awful.

3.44/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Another unique offering from Dogfish Head.Didn't hate it,but wouldn't seek this one out.Drank from the can,just not special.Almost like a fruit beer.I'll stick with 60 minute.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Wasn't sure what to expect with the concentration on coconut but this IPA balances out the hops for those of you that aren't into India Pale Ales due to their naturally hoppy taste. Pleasantly surprised; not sure why but this beer hits hard in the sleepiness department. A bit higher priced than I would typically pay for an IPA given the 7.3% ABV but it's definitely a beer I will try again.

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 oz can into a tulip glass.

Pours a mostly clear bright orange color with a healthy finger and a half of frothy white head. The head is gone rather quickly, leaving a few spots of lace before settling into a halo.

The aroma is basically coconut water with some booze thrown in. Maybe a small hint of pine and citrus. The nose is just overpowered by coconut.

The flavor is overly sweet, nearing a cloying level. It's like a coconut smoothie with an orange zest garnish. There's a hint of malt on the back to remind you that you're actually drinking a beer.

The flavor is medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes dry with a surprising amount of alcohol warmth.

Overall, a weak IPA that really shouldn't be called an IPA. This is more or less a fruit beer and a poor one at that. Way too sweet for my liking. Hard to finish a single can.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12-ounce can into a tulip glass. Very nice appearance. A slightly hazy yellowish-orange colored body rests beneath a two-finger head of fluffy white foam that leaves a bit of lacing as it settles. Aromas and flavors of coconut water, as expected. Caramel malt, citrusy and herbal hops. Understated bitterness. There is quite a bit of alcohol warmth at cellar temperature. Finish is sweet and a little cloying. Overall, I'd consider this to be a very good beer. The coconut flavors are not overpowering and mesh well with the other flavors.

2.61/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Well, either I got a bad batch or I am missing something...This was just not good and didn't fit well with my nose or palette at all! I wanted it to be good, but was disappointed. Looks great, nice pour, very frothy (almost too much) head, but downhill from there. Nose was bad smelled like a sour IPA gone bad...taste was muddled...I didn't get any hints of Coconut or tropical fruitiness. And there was not enough hoppyness to call this an IPA in my opinion.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-pours a clear yellow coloe with a white head with average retention, some lacing
S-coconut, lime, subtle pine, pineapple
T-pine, pineapple. lemon, coconut in the finish with some resin
M-medium bodied with average retention
O-pretty well balanced flavor considering how overpowering coconut can be. Definitely worth trying

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. can.
Moderate to vigorous pour yields a 1.5 inch creamy white head over a light golden body with some sticky lacing. Nose of coconut, citrus, and tropical fruit. Taste of more coconut with less tropical fruit and citrus. Nice feel and overall, well, it's just me. I've tried a few coconut IPAs and I'm not really a fan. Cheers!

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a thin white head.
Smells like coconut and tropical fruit and tastes pretty much the same. This isn't an IPA with a slight coconut undertone to it, the coconut is very prominent. Up front it is almost all that I taste, but then the fruity notes from the hops become more noticeable in the finish.
I like coconut, so this beer really does it for me. It's unique and definitely worth trying. It has a weird dry finish to it that would make me not want more than 1 in a sitting, despite how much I like it.

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz bottle

Hazed, typical looking almond amber, minor medium khaki cap.

Mild coconut forward sniff.

Tasty IPA with a more then minor coconut character, somebody else noted coconut infused sun tan lotion and thats not far off....tasty n tropical inspired...worth a try...more intriguing brew from old school heavy hitter DFH

3.92/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a can.

Looks good, ever so slightly hazy gold with a thin white head.
Smells hoppy, tropical and pine with a good bit of coconut. Very green and fresh. Like a whiff of opening a jar of coconut oil.
Tastes interesting, the mix of tropical hop resin and toasted coconut and grains is definitely unique.
Feels smooth and full bodied, the oils from the hops and coconut give a slick mouth coating feel, but a good bitterness cuts through and the flavors are green and refreshing.

Im trying to decide if the coconut is a good accent or if it is almost too much. Maybe I'll find out by the time I get to the bottom of the glass.

Definitely a bit weird for an IPA, but it's a tasty beer. Overall, I'm happy to try it.

2.29/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Not enough hop flavor for a beer over 7%. Considering the weak hop flavor and summer like coconut hint, this beer needs to be a session IPA with a 5% ABV. Completely missed the market. Would rate it much higher if the alcohol didn't overwhelm everything.

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Looks quite nice for an ipa in my tulip a full inch of froth erupts from the top the color is actually a hazy yellow with some sediment in the base may have sat on this one for a while. Smell is a mix of IPA bitterness and coconut milk which reminds me a bit of a pina colada. Taste is about as smooth as an ipa can be without being too malty flavors of the coconut milk and ipa are super tasty and balanced. Body is light to medium easy to drink but overall I may have to try this again fresh since this is one of the best coconut beers I ever drank!

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

-Brewed with toasted toasted coconut and coconut water. In spiegelau ipa glass.

A: An extra feverish pitch of effervesce rages within a bright orange peel colored body with a slight haze. A two finger bone white head is strong and steady atop. Really delicious appearance, a heavy thick coating ensures on the vessel afterwards.

S: Freshly cut coconut and a soft toasted tropical sense is of modest manner on the open. Fresh wet green leaves and stems mix with tropical orange maltiness. Being a fan of coconut I only wish there was a bit more here.

T: The flavor had a light tartness of citrus orange and lemon hops combining with a light affair of coconut juice/water. There is a small presence of toasted nature from the coconut and some oat/coconut flakes. Hints of rum-coconut alcohol, think pina-colada, finishes things out.

M: A tingle of carbonation arrives on the mouthful with a thick-medium consistency and creamy build on the tongue.

O: Overall while I love both coconut and DFH's innovative beers, this was a middle of the road offering for me. The appearance was a slam dunk, there-after mediocrity set in. The nose was soft with only minor traces of the coconut and hops, while the body was more coconut eccentric then hoppy ipa. Maybe I'm a bit hard because I expect more from Dogfish head flavor-wise, which their core focus seems to be more on the eccentric nature, rather then the actual flavor. The finish was a warming of coconut alcohol, more mixed drink like then beer.

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a thick haze and a finger of fizzy ivory foam. I like it.

Smell: sweet and fruity, with plenty of melon, citrus and even berry character. The coconut is there, but something about the fruitiness morphs it into almost a strawberry-like character. Quite interesting.

Taste: fruity and sweet, and the coconut is a little bit more itself here. I'm not accustomed to coconut outside the context of a dark beer, and I think it works relatively well here. The beer is still a little bit too sweet for my taste in IPAs, but overall it's interesting and pretty complex.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation and creaminess for the style.

Overall: I would not drink a ton of this beer, but I think it gets points for style. It's definitely the best fruity-coconut-IPA I've ever had, for what it's worth.

3.94/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Dogfish Head tulip

L: Semi-cloudy golden copper pour. 2 fingers of white head... great lacing.

S: Mild on the nose... tropical hops... lightly toasted coconut.

T/F: Nice crackery grain malt backbone... tropical fruits on the hops... pineapple, tangerine, and mid-swig comes the coconut. Not overpowering, but it merges nicely with the hops and grains. Earthy... really works for me. Good bitterness... medium in body.... smooth (oats?) . Finish is toasted coconut and tropicals.

O: In a word... awesome. Great unique flavor... and the combo works better than I'd expected. Crushable, but dangerous to go down that road with the high ABV.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A 12oz bottle with a bottled on date of 7/8/17

L - Hazy blond, with 2 full fingers of head and some nice lacing left all over the top of the brew and the glass.

S - Tropical citrus aroma and coconut. Fairly subtle aroma

T - Slightly bitter and grassy taste, with coconut toward the back end of the sip.

F - Medium body and mouthfeel

O - Interesting and creative, but an average IPA in my opinion

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into glass. Stamped bottling date of '06/24/17'.
Hazy golden body, with white head that settles to thick cap, quite a bit of lacing.
Aroma of bready malt, coconut flakes, and citrus/tropical.
Taste of grains, then coconut, ends with very low bitter citrus. Not overly sweet.
Mouth feel is slightly syrupy, but also thinner like coconut water.
I can see this as a summer refresher, reminding one of the tropics.

3.54/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy gold. Foamy, medium, Whitehead the phage shortly with light lacing.

smells tropical, Citrus, malts and coconut.

Taste citrus peel, pineapple, grapefruit, orange, earthy, bready malt and a hint of coconut. Finishes dry with a citrus peel linger. Medium body and smooth medium carbonation.

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%

Very hazy golden pour, frothy light tan head - and some floaties (I LOVE floaties)! Nose has the coconut, but it’s not cloying, and also tropical hop aromas.

Taste is the hops first - guava, pineapple, some other citrus notes, then the coconut closes the show with a smooth finish.

I don’t like coconut in candy or desserts, but I like it in beer. This is no exception. Nicely done by a fantastic brewery.

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Coconut! I don't even like coconut! Still, always up to trying something new, and these folks make great beer... That said, coconut lovers will love and coconut haters will say...."Not bad, not bad at all"

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a becher pint glass.
The appearance was semi-hazy burnt yellow to orange color with a finger's worth of white foamy head that slid off at a moderate pace. Some sliding lace ran here and there.
The aroma had some sweet coconut flakes up front with an obscure amount of pineapple/orange pulp character going on, slightly little bit of a grassy bitter hoppiness on the back end.
The flavor was moderately sweet with an even lighter bitterness contour. Aftertaste is a combined mix of coconut to pineapple/orange pulp with a little bit of woodiness.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a fair sessionability about it. Carbonation played nicely along my tongue. ABV felt appropriate. Finish was somewhat coconutty with some pineapple and mango sweet stickiness.
Overall, honestly, I'm not sure if Dogfish Head was going for one of those New England styled IPA's, but I'd say this was pretty good. Seems like more coconut came out this time than the last time I had it, but whatever, it's one that I could come back to.

3.4/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Would have expected less bitterness & more maltiness to compliment the coconut. Instead, this beer is a mediocre tug-of-war between the two flavor profiles that fails to strike a pleasing balance. It does not invite another sip

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery "Lupu-Luau IPA"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED ON 06/24/17 1501" and sampled on 10/07/17
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: So, a coconut IPA? It sounds interesting at least, so let's try it. It pours a very hazy golden-orange body beneath a thick and fluffy head that settles to a creamy 1/8" cap leaving short walls of lace rising along the rim. The appearance is good except for the clarity, but I see that they were going for a cloudy IPA, which I don't really understand myself, but OK, I see that that's the thing right now so I'll let it go and just say 'whatever'. The aroma displays a touch of coconut, but mainly grainy malt. It's clean, however, so no fault there. Can it be an IPA with out a hoppy nose though? Hmmm. If you swirl it and wait a bit there's some tropical character to it, orange and pineapple perhaps. The head's held up so far, maintaining a solid creamy cap, so it's got that going for it. On to the flavor... The malty character remains, as does the light coconut, and there's much more tropical flavor to it. Perhaps my sample is just a little old and it's lost some of the aromatics over time. The tropical notes include orange, some kind of melon, papaya, apricot, and pineapple. I'm actually surprised that there's so much malt character there, I'd have thought they'd have gone light to get more of that coconut out of it. It's solidly bitter, and there's some alcohol showing, and I guess that's it's link to being an "IPA". In the finish it's quickly fruity, then coconut-y, and then malty - which lingers for a moment, gently sweetish before the bitterness rises as the sugars erode. That's not to say it finishes sweet, it doesn't, but it's not exactly dry either. Ehhh, I don't know. I'm up in the air on this one. I applaud their creativity, and it's certainly a good attempt, but I'm not convinced. I think this would make a better pale ale with less bitterness and alcohol. You could even leave the medium, dextrinous body the same if you wanted, but I also think it might be better with a simpler grain bill. But forget all of that, I'm not the brewer so my thoughts on what it could be aren't pertinent, just my thoughts on what's in front of me. It's OK. It has it's time and place just like any other beer, but it's definitely a niche beer to be sure. Probably worth trying just to see.

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy lemon color into a Belgian beer glass. White 2'' head with minimal retention. Taste is coconut, kiwi, specialty malts, flowery hop. Feels excellent. This on a hot summer day might feel like Nirvana. Overall this is a superb take on an IPA. Very impressive. After the 1st beer I am picking up on some definite pineapple, maybe that is what I thought the kiwi was.

Lupu-Luau IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery