Raison D'Extra

Mar 22, 2002
SCORE
Outstanding
Raison D'ExtraRaison D'Extra
Notes: Our Raison D'Etre, with a little extra. This immodest brew, made with an obscene amount of malt, brown sugar & raisins, takes Belgian-style browns to new heights.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
by Mat_Beer

A little sweet to be perfection - it comes from all those raisins. :)

May 08, 2022

4.75 by dan_amdg from Illinois on Apr 03, 2022
4.43/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by q33jeff from New Jersey

02/27/22

2018 bottle to DFH snifter.

Wow! Very tasty and sneaky smooth at 18%. Raisin, brown sugar, brandy, black cherry, wood, nutmeg. All kinds of interesting nutty/spicy/earthy/dark fruit notes that are not part of the known ingredients.

Feb 27, 2022
3.94/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by Treyliff from West Virginia

2019 Vintage
12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- pours brown in color with a one-finger foamy khaki head that has good retention

S- malty and sweet aroma with notes of bready brown malts, brown sugar, raisins, toffee, fruitcake and a spicy yeast aroma that gives notes of clove, pear and basement must

T- bold, boozy and super sweet up front with a big hit of brown sugar, quickly followed by raisins and some bready brown malts, the sweetness combined with the brown malts is reminiscent of a fruit cake. The finish gives more onslaught of brown sugar sweetness, followed by some phenolic yeast that adds hints of clove, ripe pear and apple. Lingers of sweet malt and sugar

M- medium-heavy body with moderate carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel that turns slightly creamy into a warming finish, abv is hidden pretty well

O- bold and full flavored, but cloyingly sweet, especially as it warms

Feb 03, 2022
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by Eddieeight from Ohio

I got this for $10 and thought I'd give it a whirl. 16% man does that pack a punch and the price was reasonable so why not try something new? The artwork shows a country gentleman clutching his guitar, so hopefully this is music to my tastebuds. This was bottled on 12/20/18, and it's now 1/29/22 so this beer is a good 3+ years old.Poured out crispy caramel, beautiful light brown color that assimilates in the glass as a darker more mystifying shade. Very little head that stayed for any length of time, but that's ok I'm here to drink. Just as advertised boy does this smell like raisin. That's the predominant note, that's the predominant scent, that's what we're getting wafting out of the snifter. And a sip - wow! An electrifying, overwhelming raisin with a wild alcohol burn that really kicks the senses into gear. The label advertises brown sugar, and I can see how that might be a supporting note, but this thing really connotes raisin raisin raisin RAISIN! I like it because it's unique. I wouldn't drink this brew frequently but I like the experimentation with something unusual, and I can definitely say I've never had a beer quite like this one. Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with a light carbonation. For a good 30 seconds after the swallow my mouth is eveloped by a raisin dominance that I've never experienced from a beer before. Hey, they got this one nailed. Overall it's unique, it's unusual, it's independently and confidently bold. If wine is made of grapes, but this is made of raisins, then I would venture to call this post-wine. It's not my favorite flavor, but damn does it know what the hell it's doing. Cheers.

Jan 30, 2022

4.24 by Dharmelink from Wisconsin on Jan 19, 2022
3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
by woosterbill from Kentucky

12oz bottle from 2014 poured into a goblet.

L: Muddy brown body with a thin but persistent cap of tan bubbles. Pretty good lacing for the abv. Not bad for its age, but far from visually appealing.

S: Complex aroma of ripe fruit, chocolate, and booze. Dates, figs, raisins. Cocoa powder, brown sugar, port. Lots going on, and most of it pleasant.

T: Follows the nose, with emphasis on the sweet raisin/port notes up front. Bittersweet cocoa fills in nicely toward the back end, with a strongly alcoholic aftertaste being the one major fault. Intense and mostly enjoyable.

F: Medium-to-full body with a surprising amount of velvety carbonation and a moderate dose of drying alcohol. Much livelier than the appearance suggested.

O: Enjoyable, intense, unique - but a bit of a chore to drink.

Big thanks to my buddy Charlie for tossing this one my way! Cheers!

Jan 16, 2022

4.5 by jewellrunner from Missouri on Jan 02, 2022
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
by CBlack85 from South Carolina

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a DFH Goblet Glass
Pours a murky caramel color with some reddish hues, and a smallish off white head that dissipates quickly leaving behind virtually no lacing

The aroma is quite sweet; consisting mainly of dark fruits (most notably raisins of course), brown sugar, caramel, a mild spiciness, and a definite booziness.

As with the nose, the flavor is a sweet mix if dark fruit (raisins, plums, prunes), brown sugar, molasses, and just the smallest hint of spiciness. Also, as with the nose, the alcohol presence is front and center, without being off-putting. Full bodied and mildly carbonated, somewhat slick on the tongue.

Overall, this is a nice sipping beer. I didn't really like this beer the first time I tried it (I think I just didn't understand the style at the time), but over time it has become a favorite.

Jan 02, 2022
3.93/5  rDev -3.2%
by BeerAndGasMasks from Virginia

From the older bottle, it pours a hazy brown color with a modest, soon diminishing, head. In the nose, it is raisins, cinnamon and lots of alcohol. Taste is strongly dark fruits/raisins with a base of sweetish malt. A bit syrupy in the mouth, it leaves a bit of an aftertaste.

Jul 23, 2021
4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75
by KT3418 from Colorado

Opening this about 2 and half years after the bottling date, im glad I tried this it always stood out to me and I wonder if no one at the store wanted it cuz of the raisins lol. Stop hating, this is malty and sweet from the sugar and light dried fruit taste. Doesn't taste very boozy which is good and bad at the same time lol. I really like this

Jul 19, 2021

4.18 by BuxMontBeerLover from Pennsylvania on Jul 16, 2021
3.93/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4
by cbuzz24 from Mississippi

Smells awesome, like dried fruit, not overwhelming and not sweet. The raisins are obvious in the taste, but are not overbearing. This is good, since I do not like raisins. The mouthfeel is thick and coating, feels very much like a wine. With a more carbonation, this would be a higher score for me. I'd buy it again. The alcohol content sneaks up on you, so beware!

May 29, 2021

4.21 by Burg from New Hampshire on May 05, 2021

4.33 by Cuervo_PCB from Florida on Apr 30, 2021
4.41/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by DokiDokiLitFam from New Jersey

Pours out a dark amber color. Mild translucence. A half of a finger of white foam that doesn't last very long.

Nose is grape, dark fruit, brown sugar, and malt. Just like the bottle says all of these notes come rushing out of the glass. It smells great. Lacking nuance and modesty but great.

Taste follows the nose to a tee. It's like sugar coated raisins in a highly malted Belgian brew. The alcohol is strong in this one and that comes through. It reminds you a little of wine due to the fruit presence and ABV, but the malt does a good job of reminding you that you're drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel is fullbodied and rich. A little syrupy which isn't surprising. Mild carbonation.

This is a brew with very little complexity but it makes up for that by being absolutely bombastic. Simple, but massive. A fun brew by Dogfish Head.

Apr 30, 2021

3.75 by BeerRay from Rhode Island on Apr 10, 2021
4.26/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by jjamadorphd from Florida

Another great offering from DH...

...I didn't really know what to expect from this beer. What I got was a slightly sweet, very boozy, and truly unexpected experience. I think the thing that surprised me the most was the booze-potency to go along with the nice base of raisin flavoring this offered. Mouthfeel was light and crisp - again surprising considering how boozy it was, and it looked absolutely unique - a dark cooperish color with distinctive gradient down the glass. Lately this website asked folks to define "craft". Well, I think this is a perfect example to raise - or should I say Raison D'Extra...

Apr 04, 2021
4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
by Jwale73 from Rhode Island

Bottled 1.11.2019 and served in my Spiegelau tulip. Pours a deep, translucent mahogany hue with a fizzy, tan head that quickly disperses towards the shoulders. Nose expresses brown sugar, figs and booze. Taste follows nose - big, bold and boozy with some caustic ethanol notes at the finish. Mouthfeel is medium-light in body with a lively carbonation, a slight oiliness to the texture, and a residual alcohol burn that lingers between quaffs. All and all, hits all the marks for the style, yet bigger and bolder per the DFH idiom. Would love to see what 5-10 years of cellar time does for this beer.

Mar 27, 2021

4.25 by Prospero from Colorado on Mar 23, 2021

4.25 by carolinabeerguy from North Carolina on Mar 20, 2021

4 by Argento from Rhode Island on Mar 20, 2021

3.98 by emerge077 from Illinois on Mar 18, 2021

4.25 by robebo44 from Virginia on Mar 07, 2021
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%
by airevac19 from North Carolina

Bottled in 2019. In Leffe Chalice. Pours chestnut brown with very small tan fizzy head w/no retention. smells of brown sugar and raisins. very boozy, w/taste of raisin as a finish. Pretty good for sitting for almost a year and a half! Cheers!

Feb 08, 2021

4 by a77cj7 from South Dakota on Jan 21, 2021
3.86/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
by Franziskaner from Missouri

Dark brown in color with a quarter inch of brown around the rim and a quarter of the top. Moderate lacing. I smell raisins and brown sugar, and alcohol. I taste is of malt, raisins, and brown sugar. The mouth is deceptively smooth and warm.

Jan 15, 2021

4.75 by Sweffin from Wisconsin on Jan 07, 2021
4.04/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
by DucksFan16 from Tennessee

Bottled on 01/11/2018. Enjoyed on 12/23/2020.

Dec 23, 2020

4 by beaulabauve from Louisiana on Dec 17, 2020

4.37 by glavin76 from Virginia on Dec 17, 2020

3.9 by mattmarka1 from Minnesota on Nov 29, 2020
4.02/5  rDev -1%
by NCAHappyHour from Kansas

Funny, when I grabbed the single bottle from Buckley's Wine & Spirits in Overland Park, KS (two thumbs up), I thought I was grabbing Raison D'Etra. I wanted to start with that one and move then to the stronger D'Extra. Moreover, this was one of those "tries" that I figured I probably wouldn't repeat -- true enough. Regardless, I was not disappointed. I am surprised when I read that this beer pairs well with meat -- while I enjoyed the flavor, I found it a little too sweet for much more than cheese/fruit. I would liken it more to an apertif. I fell in love with Dogfish Head after having their Mixed Media and fell out of love after they discontinued it. But, like a scorned lover, I shall return.

Nov 25, 2020
4.1/5  rDev +1%
by jlindros from Massachusetts

Pretty sure I reviewed this before, prob got lost in a server crash. bottled 1/11/19

Pours a very small fizzy tan head with low retention (as expected), dark chestnut to auburn brown color

Nose brings layers of sweetness, super sweet, with brown sugar, molasses, toffee, sweet brown malts, caramel, basically everything sugar based, as well as dark fruits, especially raisin, and a bit of date

Taste brings more sweet flavors but not as sweet as expected overall, again lots of brown sugar, toffee and molasses up front, with dark Belgian candi sugar like, into rum characters from the molasses and fruity flavors, lots of candied raisin, fig and date as well, quite fruity, a bit nutty as well, with some toasted brown malts, some smooth alcohol that gets quite hot but not fusel surprisingly, finishes sweet of course, sticky, with a bit of bitterness and lingering sweet flavors with raisin

Mouth is fuller bod, rich and chewy, fair amount of hot tingly alcohol, med-light fizzy carb

Overall basically what I remember it to be, this one is fairly fresh (relatively anyways), and the ones I've had that were about a decade old were awesome, but I wanted to review a younger one

Oct 22, 2020

4.12 by Uconnelmo from Connecticut on Oct 18, 2020
4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75
by marcobrau from Illinois

Holy moly.

I'm pretty sure I've had this beer before but have not reviewed here. Pours chestnut brown with plenty with enough foam to create to a last eighth-inch head/collar of bubbles. Smells very rummy, but fades to being more tawny port-like. Tastes more like rum than tawny port. Much drier than I recall. Also boozy. Actually reminds me a little bit of the Rochefort 10 I last reviewed. Dry, rummy finish that is long and laced with dark molasses. Tastes great but the aroma is probably what is most amazing.

Oct 02, 2020
3.99/5  rDev -1.7%
by JayQue from Virginia

Big slightly sweet malty beer. I have probably had this 12 oz. bottle around for at least 3 years. Pours a dense but light colored golden brown with a small tan head. Good retention for a high .abv beer in that the filmy covering on the glass and a slightly thicker ring around the edge of my Chimay goblet lasted a good while. Good aroma: mostly, malt, brown sugar and dark fruit (cherries, plums and figs). Taste was even better. The malt, sugar and fruit are in perfect proportion with each other. The best thing is that the beer is not too sweet. Mouthfeel is very good too. Probably very mellow because of the length of time I aged it. No real alcohol burn...maybe a little bite, but mostly a warming presence. I didn't notice any bitterness, but the sugar sweetness was well balanced. No cloying sugary taste. This is a really good "big" Belgian style beer,

Sep 21, 2020

4.2 by PDXAmbassador from Florida on Sep 16, 2020
4.17/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
by Newbeergeek1 from Maine

I really like Dogfish and am inclined to try their beers solely based on them as a great brewery so I tried this! Wow, glad I did. I don’t normally like malty (seems sweet to me) beers but this was an exception that I found very tasty. I actually bought a few more.

Sep 13, 2020
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by mothman from Minnesota

2019 bottle. Copper amber color with some floaties.

Smells and tastes like a nice Belgian quad. Lots of raisons and brown sugar. Very malty. Very smooth. Figs, toffee, caramel, plums, red apple skins. The abv doesn’t really show, but I am feeling it part way through my glass.

This is a fun and great beer to try.

Sep 12, 2020