Raison D'Extra | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

A bigger, bolder version of our Raison Raison D'Être.

This is a bulbous, brown ale brewed with a bunch of malt, brown sugar and raisins.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2002

Ratings: 1,503 |  Reviews: 705

Very potent and drinkable, it only gets better as it warms.

Update: I've been looking for this beer since Dogfish inexplicably stopped brewing it in 08/09. It's back and it is dominating. This is a huge, huge beer, but you can't taste the booze at all. All you taste is rich raisons, dates, figs, and other wonderful flavors. My favorite beer of all time, no doubt.

I had a bottle at the DFH restaurant in Falls Church VA in early 2011 that was from 2008. The bartender told me the fermenting process continued in the bottle, adding an extra 2% ABV per year. Not sure if this was true or just a reason to justify the price ($24 per bottle), but this is a total ass kicker. I couldn't drink two of these and be out in public. Very strong, but very tasty. Suitable for a snifter and probably best shared between two.

The beer pours a reddish brown color, but not as red as the DFH Barley Wine. I don't recall much head associated with this beer. The smell is not completely overpowering. I'd say it is slightly malty with undertones of raisons.

This beer tastes outstanding. I am a huge fan of the raison taste. There is a lot of sugar in this beer also, so much so that it will leave your lips stickey. It's very similar to DFH 120 IPA in that regard. If you are looking for something to chug, this is not for you. You know you are drinking a BIG beer and you can taste the booze. However, I found this to go down just fine in small sips, which is how I think all big beers are intended to be consumed.

I think the best thing about this beer, apart from the taste, is how it feels going down. I love the slight alcohol burn going down my throat when it is associated with a cold beer. It is very smooth and not hugely fizzy.

I like DFH very much and have pounced on this beer the last few times I've seen it (twice at DFH in Falls Church and once at Capital Ale House in Richmond). It is a fantastic beer to get the night started, but beware, this could also finish you off. It is probably the strongest beer I've had, but the strength does not impinge on the taste. I'd get it again in a heartbeat despite the high price (over $20 each time I've gotten it for a 12 oz. bottle).

Fantastic brew. Definitely worth the $10.

Raison D'Extra from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery