Raison D'Extra | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

A bigger, bolder version of our Raison Raison D'Être.

This is a bulbous, brown ale brewed with a bunch of malt, brown sugar and raisins.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2002

Liked:
4.05/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,505 |  Reviews: 706
3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

4.49/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

2014 run. drinking one now and putting two in the cellar. after reading reviews below, sounds like I should have put all three down there.

A: slight haze and a deep amber hue. slightly off-white head is miniscule. head lacing as well. however, I think this thing has legs from all the alcohol.

S: a boatload of booze is slightly masked by a boatload of brown sugar. sweet molasses. fruity to boot.

T: uncomfortably sweet. brown sugar for days. boozy for sure. hints of coffee and chocolate in there too. lingering dark fruit sweetness stays for a while into the finish. it kind of reminds me of eating an old banana. pleasant and uncomfortable all at once.

F: moderate amount of carb. a mother fucking full body.

D: the more I sip, the more it reminds me of a rich Belgian quad. and then back to a boozy monster of a mess. cant put my finger on this besides it being very varied sip to sip. which isn't necessarily surprising on something built like this. if aging calms some of this sweetness/booze out, I am all for it. prepared to sit on my extra two for a handful of years.

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Good brew. Glad they released it again.

3.99/5  rDev -1.5%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

I finally found a DFH beer I love. OK, 90 Minute is pretty darn good but this brewery has been more negative than positive for me.
A - Clear dark brown with a nice whiteish head that never completely goes away.
S - Aroma of port or dark fruit.
T - Raisins yes! The high abv (18%) is not as noticeable as you might expect.
M - Medium mouth feel with low carbonation.
O - I really enjoyed this and I'm going back for a couple more. Definitely want to lay one down for a year to see what happens. But it is delicious as is.

11/9/15 - Pulled one from the cellar after 11 months. Head settles quickly now and goes away. Flavor is still the same, and the alcohol is very noticeable. Still a great sipper!

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on date is 11/21/14. I had this back in 2008-09 when I was new to craft beer. My palate has certainly changed and I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

A- Pours a cloudy ruby color with a small amount of off white head which fades to the sides of the glass.

S- Sweet malts on the nose more than anything. Not much else here.

T- The smell carries over to the taste initially with heavy sweet malts. Then come the dark fruits, obviously large amounts of raisin notes.

M- Medium bodied, low carbonation, alcohol is certainly noticeable but I wouldn't think it was 18% ABV.

Not bad, and glad I got to revisit it. If I can find more I'll definitely lay them down a few years to see how it evolves.

The raisins come through quite strong which is a question of taste. But besides that this beer didn't live up to the expectation. A reasonable beer but not too special.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Very potent and drinkable, it only gets better as it warms.

4.91/5  rDev +21.2%

Bottled 11/11/14, this beer was quite a treat. Smooth couldn't taste the 18 abv. Raisiny goodness. The best I've had from dfh.

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Almost missed spotting this on the way out of a large local bottle shop, and once I caught glimpse of a box full of bright yellow bottle caps behind the service counter, I knew I'd double right back to see what special DFH release it was. Pricey singles (north of $10 ea.).
Poured into a snifter: body is a clear brown/ ruby- mahogany, and the body appears medium-rich. Head is off-white and tight.
Smells sherry-like, with sweet malts and dark fruit (raisin) hints. Slight burn.
Taste follows suit, and the finish has a warming, cherry-fruit pop of flavor. This is all buried within sweet candied/ brown sugary malts, doesn't reach the cloying point, yet packs a punch of booze.
Feels fairly thick, well-carbonated, with some stickiness in the finish.
I'd always wanted to try this one, especially after obtaining some of their 120's for drinking/ aging. This one is up there as far as being another big DFH brew with spirit qualities and terrific balance. I feel age would do it even better, and I'll probably try the other bottle I bought a year or so from now.
Another new year.

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%

3.56/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

I'm shocked that this beer only gets a 90! I have been waiting for Dogfish to bring it back since I first tried it in 2007. It has a great carmel malty aroma it starts out subtle and finishes strong. The high alcohol content makes this a true sipping beer. A good choice to share with someone at the end of the day.

4.54/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.21/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance: Dark raisin-colored, with about a finger of off white foam.

Smell: Brandy, raisins, and lots of warm Alcohol, with a bit of spice thrown in as well.

Taste: Cloyingly sweet at first. As it warms, I can pick up a lot of prunes and raisins, as well some yeasty spice. The alcohol is very apparent. Some wine-like notes towards the end, as well as other fruity notes, like cherry.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy bodied, with medium carbonation and a long finish.

Overall: Though this is a great beer, it didn't quite live up to the hype (or the pricetag) for me. I'm glad I tried it once, but wouldn't necessarily seek it out again.

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Raison D'Extra from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery