Fruit-Full Fort | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.99/5  rDev +3.9%

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark red color with a fingers worth of head that fades down to nearly nothing

S: Booze and berries. Hard to distinguish, but definitely get raspberry and blueberry

T: Follows the nose. Straight up booze and berries. Able to pick out raspberry, blueberry, and blackberry. Some caramel maltiness. Very boozy

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A sipper for sure. Nice mix of berries and malt underneath the booze. Not for the faint of heart

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Pours a beautiful ruby red with a slight head and lacing
A-Aroma has raspberry, blackberry, boysenberry and elderberry hints
T-The taste follows the nose with balanced raspberry, blackberry, boysenberry and elderberry flavors
M-A medium bodied well carbonated beer
O-A very nice well balanced beer with a strong kick

4.21/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This has an above average body and a decent amount of carbonation. Aroma is strong,malt, fruit, grapes,wine-like, almost like a port.
Taste is similar, I didn't find it overly sweet like some people did although it is a bit sweet. There's no way a beer that hints at being similar to wine or cognac is going to work for everyone. It wasn't perfect but it was very,very flavorful, different, and memorable.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

A return of the raspberry forward and boozy spice of the famous, and somewhat notorious Fort comes with a fruity revamp that includes boysenberry, elderberry and blackberry to complement the usual raspberry suspect in a lush taste that, to sit down with a glass, ought to be a crime.

A pour of turbid mauve gives Fruit-Full Fort an appearance of straight fruit puree. A wine infused scent of all things dark berries tease the nose with impressions of jelly, fruit rollup, macerated berries, fruit juice and a tingle of boozy spice. Lavish sweetness splashes the tongue with candy, fruit syrup and a lightness of honey to start the taste.

The culmination of those dark red berries offer a fruit punch melange on the middle palate. But supplemental notes of cranberry, redcurrant, marionberry, red grape and blueberry keep the taste complex while holistically focused on the fruit. A wine-like spice brings along a late palate of peppery oak, light acidity and also a mild and bitter hop spice for balance and intrigue.

Full bodied and unapologetically cloying, the jammy beer lingers sweetly and sticky on the mouth through a long and savory finish with a boozy aftertaste of cognac. Save this beer for an after dinner digestive, designed to split several ways among friends.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.72/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Deep, opaque burgundy color. Light head, recedes quickly. Dark berry and dense malt aroma. Flavor follows. Not a great balance. Berries and malt kinda clash. Lots of bi-products detected. Not overly boozy. Full body with a syrupy texture in the middle and grainy finish. Solid carbonation for the strength. Overall, not a huge fan of this one. Lacking a lot in complexity and balance.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Hard pour left a quickly dissolving fizzy brownish head that disappeared as quickly as it was poured.

S: Lots of sweet berries and heavy alcohol and lots of sugars and syrupy smelling. Prunes dates.

T: Lots of sweet berries and alcohol this beer drinks like a port very heavy rich flavors.

M: super heavy thick cloying sweet.

O: I tell you I don’t care for this beer but I don’t like ports but I think they kinda nailed what they were going after.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

8/5/18 bottle

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

DFH is what introduced me to the world of craft beer, so I try it when I see their stuff I haven't had yet. This beer pours a dark, cloudy brown/mahogany with a small off white head that didn't stay around too long. Smell is of light berries, a little booze and a slight sweet, malty hit. The taste is fruity, and unexpectedly sour, but not in a bad way. The alcohol is not forward, which is surprising considering the ABV. Rolling it around in your mouth it becomes creamy and soft and the alcohol comes forward. It's not their best offering, but if you're adventurous give it a try.

4.77/5  rDev +24.2%

This beer was amazing and lived up to what I read about it from DFH, possibly one of the best DFH offerings. I also was blown away at how smooth it was at around 18% abv. The look was somewhat of cognac or perhaps sangria with its ruby red, purplish, rusty look with a fruitful juice head. The smell reminds me to of sangria with its fruitiness, maybe some cherry in aroma, a little bit of whisky as well.

Now the flavor is just amazing as it does not taste like juice nor is it sour. Closest thing it reminds me of is Sammiclaus Classic Bier. Yet that one was,14% and this is 18. Plus Fruitful Fort has all these berries in it and can taste berries. Berries and cherries with a hint of malt that finishes dry with a whisky burn to the throat. The mouthfeel is sweet but dry like wine. It also started to make me buzz after about 5 slow sips. 2 of these by yourself and you'll be knocked on your ass. But my intentions are never to get wasted but to just enjoy and enjoy I did. I am aging another for 5 years just to see how it evolves but let me tell ya that even fresh it's an easy drink for what it is. I had trouble drinking 120minute fresh and found 120 to be way too hot. I found Fruitful Fort to be well balanced with only some alcohol burn on the finish. I highly recommend this to share as I did with my wife and it really hits the mood as summer starts to come to a close as we enter August, cheers!

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My son visited and tried the one bottle I had bought of this concoction. He stopped after one gulp, deeming it one of the worst tasting beers he's ever had.

So, I have almost the entire 12 ounces left, and I am trying it out now.

First, I have to note that this beer is ridiculously expensive. $12 for the one bottle where I bought it in Springfield, PA. I imagine the price has something to do with the 18% ABV.

So... what do we have here? A beer that pours a murky brown/black into the glass. That has a bit of a head and actually leaves lacing, which isn't that common given the very high ABV.

The fragrance is figs and prunes... and maybe sour cherries. It's actually not bad.

The flavor... is really quite interesting, despite my son's revulsion. It's kind of hot... almost peppery hot... and I don't know why - but it could very well be the alcohol. And though I don't think sour cherries are supposed to be among the ingredients, there is definitely a sour cherry flavor - tart and hot - but not like a sour beer. Given the choice between this and many of the sours I've tried, I'd go with the sours.

But that's not to say that this beer is not without merit. It doesn't go down easy - not at all. It is meant to be a sipper, I'm sure. But even as a sipper, it's not an easy drink.

Overall, I kind of like it. I don't love it, and I can't recommend it to anyone who is not super adventurous. But it's really... I don't know. Kind of good.

Would I buy it again? Um... probably not... at the price I paid. At maybe $6 or $7 per bottle, probably. Because it's kind of a painful beer - it kind of hurts the palate. But like the old John Cougar song, "It hurts so good."

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

3.64/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like this better that original Fort. I was afriad this was going to be an amped up Sircusa Nera (which is beyond awful), but the flavor is more balanced which hides the booziness better.

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%

Nothing overly impressive to look at, this dark, opaque maroon/ burgundy beer offered little head or lace. Every whiff reminds me of a merlot or even a cab that isn’t overly oakey. I suppose I should get more grape, but it’s just wildly vinous and that’s about it. Taste has far more depth as there’s a tart raspberry maybe? opening that does cross into the red wine grape pretty quick, only to finish off salty. Its not hot, despite being wicked high in ABV but definitely drinks more like a wine, and there is a definite alcohol aftertaste.

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%