Red & White | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Witbier

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

Added by hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006

3.9

Ratings: 1,823 |  Reviews: 705
Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.5/5  rDev -61.5%

1.5/5  rDev -61.5%

1.55/5  rDev -60.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by chswimmer. Thanks, Craig!

A: Pours a murky magenta body in the glass. 1.5" of fluffy eggshell white head, GREAT retention, and solid lacing.

S: Pinot grapes and coriander are pretty strong in the nose; I can't pick up a lot else.

T: Pinot noir grapes definitely dominate the flavor, delivering a light woodsiness as well. Spicy coriander and bitter, citric orange peel round out the finish, along with some alcohol. It's actually pretty hot and sweet in the finish; I've never liked this combination and I don't intend to start here.

M: A very hot, syrupy mouthfeel that coats the tongue and releases DFH's signature blend of booze and sugar.

D: With each of their 750s that I've tried, I've become less interested in trying another. Dogfish Head makes some really excellent 12oz'ers, and I think I'll just stick with those. It's obvious I'm not the target market for these reserve beers.

1.72/5  rDev -55.9%

1.75/5  rDev -55.1%

1.87/5  rDev -52.1%

750ml bottle poured into a pilsner glass, which barely manages to contain a massive frothy white head. This very slowly settles down into a 2-finger cap that sticks around til the end. Plentiful lacing, too. The bright pink hue certainly doesn't scream 'witbier', but it's a handsome beer.

The pinot barrels come across very strongly in the nose, almost overwhelming. Loads of berry and cherry. The typical witbier orange and coriander are present, but seem to be afterthoughts. The pinot/barrel combo dominate the flavor profile as well. I wonder if this would be a vastly improved beverage if only part of the batch was aged in the barrels. And, if the ABV was bumped down a few notches; this is very boozy, very sweet stuff here (don't attempt to kill this thing solo). Tannic and vinous notes are able to cut through some of the sweetness. The orange and coriander reappear as the carbonation briefly lightens things up at the swallow. Sticky sweetness and booze linger.

Overall impression: I can't recommend this, but it seems a few tweaks away from being pretty enjoyable.

Overall impression:

2.23/5  rDev -42.8%

Appearance: amber orange-hued body with nice fluffy haed. retained some, and had some stichy head bubbles all the way up the glass. nice

Smell: toasty amber malts, and some red wine grape aroma. Lots of spices. popurri like. great visual and smell

but....

Taste: some users describe this as too sweet. we'll I taste no sweetness, In fact it needs more grapy fruity flavor. It's syrupy, dry, and fairly tasteless with some sublte spice. like a watered down red wine.

Mouthfeel: Medium-syrupy body.

Drinkability: very disappointed. I've heard great things from friends and took the recommedation after putting this beer of for years. The worst DFH beer I have had by far .

2.26/5  rDev -42.1%

Bottled in 2009, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance brings to mind orange marmalade, with a fair amount of bubbles and lots of floaties. Thin head dissipates quickly with some lacing on the glass. Aroma is the standard witbier coriander with a little bit of tartness in the background. First sip does not go well: my initial thought is that I got a bad bottle. Sour apple, angry acidity, the tannins are there too but I don't know why. Simply WAY too many things going on here. The alcohol is well-hidden and I actually found the mouthfeel to be bubbly and highly carbonated.

I don't know what DFH was going for, but this was a drain pour for me.

2.28/5  rDev -41.5%

750ml bottle poured into SA pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy, reddish orange. Fairly dark, lots of good floaties - but overly dark for the style. Average head and retention.

S: Odd. The standard orange, coriander, and lemon notes are present, but the Pinot Noir messes with all that. Grapes, lemon and orange do not mesh too well here.

T: Very heavy on the vinous side, and light on witbier characteristics. Again, I feel the Pinot influence makes this one a mess of clashing flavors. This beer is trying to be too much, losing the satisfy qualities of a crisp Wit. Sadly, this ended as a drain pour .Attempt a great complexity and sometimes you have cherries vying with grapes, lemon and apricots for attention losing out to acidity.

M: Way too full bodied and chewy for the style. Kind of hits the stomach like a rock.

D: ABV is too high here as well.

I think DFH has strayed too far from style here. If you're expecting a wit, move on.

2.29/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours a ruby body with lots of bubbles and an off-pink thin head that leaves some thin lacing. Not very interesting in the nose. I don't pick up anything aside from what I went in thinking this beer would be like: a high abv witbier with some grape juice in it. Tastes highly sugary, medicinal, and with an odd bitterness. Reminds me of, hey, a high abv wit with too much residual sweetness and some Juicy Juice. Littlebit of tannins, but it's faint. Mouthfeel is heavy, slick, oily, and mildly carbonated. Glad I'm splitting this with someone else, but it would be better splitting this with about 10 people.

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

A- Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. Poured a pink-reddish with little to no head.

S- Nice nose. A very noticeable tartness at first. Then notes of coriander, orange and pinot grapes. Smells like you are in for a treat.

T- Unfortunately the nose is where this all the good ended on this for me. I am a wine drinker and a beer drinker but this was neither. I think they should have aged this wit in Pinot barrels not add 'Pinot Noir Extract' to it. Sorry DFH this was a let down. It tasted too tart and astringent for my palate. I finished my glassful but it was tough. I don't know how to describe it except astringent!

M- I have to say the mouthfeel was okay. Decent carbonation and weight.

D- I had about 6oz of this and that was more than enough. I am sure others like it but it was not for me.

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%