Red & White | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Witbier

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

Added by hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006

Ratings: 1,832 |  Reviews: 707
3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Bottle simply notes 'Bottles in 2009"

(review #600)

Served this in a tulip glass. Good Looking beer. A 2 finger fizzy head forms and then settles to a scant 1/8th inch cap of foam that remains for a bit longer. Alas, this to fades and all traces of any head are gone. No lacing. The beer is a reddish/amber color with a good amount of haze. You can see quite a bit of visible carbonation rising to the top in long singular lines of bubbles. No lacing.

Aroma is light, earthy, sweet. A bit less both than I imagined. Some yeast notes

Very interesting. This is a beer that grows on me the more I drink it. The first time I had it was at the Extreme Beerfest and I really enjoyed it. These events work for the brewers. As a result, I purchased this bottle to enjoy. I can not say that I taste anything specific from the barrel aging, I to really get a depth of flavor that I can only imagine come from this process. The site says to enjoy this between 45-50 degrees, but I enjoy this even warmer. Much more flavor comes through. Somewhat wine like, some real nice spice from the yeast and the additions. Slight warming from the alcohol. As I continue to enjoy I do notice more notes from the wood aging. Slightly acidic. The bitterness towards the end is a bit stronger than I initially gauged. (not a bad thing) Some bread notes develop as well. The orange peel shows up right at the end for me. Very delicate, but it's there.

Very light and delicate in body, yet bold with the warming of the alcohol. Carbonation is very delicate.

A very interesting beer and one that develops as you enjoy. I think this is the kind of beer that you use for a several course dinner and as a beer pairing.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

A: It's a deep purple-ish orange color with a massive ecru head that's frothy, retains well, and lays down some nice lacing on the glass. A great looking beer.

S: Sweet malt, orange, berry/perfumey fruit aromas (from the pinot noir juice), woody aromas, and alcohol. Bold and complex.

T&M: Well, it's really interesting. Berry fruit up front, orange/coriander flavor, some appreciable wood-flavor, and drying alcohol on the finish. Complex and different, but I'm not sure I'm a huge fan. Body is medium with a dense, tingling carbonation that translates to a smooth feel.

D: Definitely a sipper. It's a little boozy and so complex that you've really got to sip on it to enjoy everything. Definitely a nice effort from DFH, it's just not quite my cup of tea.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

A- Pours a murky orange color with a thin white head that leaves some scattered lacing.

S- Lots of citrus (orange peel and lemon) with a huge whiff of pinot noir and alcohol. There were some musty dark fruit scents as well as coriander and some other spices. A yeast like breadiness is detectable.

T- Where did the pinot noir go? There was certainly a wine-like nose but it failed to show up in the taste. Instead I ended up with a yeasty high alcohol dank flavored beer. Not doing it for me.

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation.

D- Not one I would grab again. This is one of those experimental DFH brews that didn't quite hit the mark.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

750 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. Bottle reads, "Bottled in: 2009"

A - Pours a deep reddish, almost clay-colored brown. Generous light brown head quickly dissipates into blotches across the top of the brew, finally settling as a ring around the glass where it meets the brew.

S - I'm getting a ton of orange and coriander notes when the beer is cold, with a touch of oaky vanilla. The oak and the darker notes of musk, malts, and leather come out as the brew warms up a bit. Pretty remarkable combination of bright and dark smell profiles.

T - Long, lingering, sweet, acidic finish. I don't taste the citrus and spices that I picked up on the nose, but instead I get the acidity of the pinot noir concentrate.

M - The acidity balanced with the malted wheat flavors makes for a particularly interesting mouthfeel. I continue to taste the grapes and the oak flavors on the back of my palate for long after I've swallowed.

D - Drinking this whole bottle will be tough, much the same as it would be difficult to drink an entire bottle of finely-crafted wine. The flavor profile is so big and robust that it's difficult to drink anything but smaller sips than you might usually. This is an esoteric beer, for sure. It begs for food pairings: I'd love to try this brew with a farmhouse cheddar, roasted duck breast, or a grilled steak.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I wasz intrigued to try this one and I'm glad I did. You gotta give the guys at Dogfish Head some props for never being scared to think outside the box! Poured into my Duvel Tulip with minimal head . Smell was a little off for me. Slight barnyard smell that I'm used to with a nice Gueuze. I can detect some wine smells in the backround as well. I wasn't to thrilled until I tasted it. Very nice and tastes very different than the smell. The wit aspect is shining up front followed by the beautiful addition of Pinot Noir grapes. Really awesome IMHO. Mouthfeel was good and drinkability is good for such a high ABV. Not my favorite by any means but definitely worth a try for those who haven't.

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is one of the prettiest beers I've ever had. The color is like an apricot or something, it's very cool looking. It's got a little bit of head with some light lacing. The aroma is is very fruity and somewhat yeasty, you can tell it's been bottle conditioned. It reminds me of the aroma of some of Unibroues lighter beers.

The taste is also very unique, you can taste the orange and coriander as well as the Pinot Noir notes which reminds me of a wine but it still seems like a beer. You can taste the alcohol a bit, I wish it was toned down slightly but it is still far from overpowering. This is a very good sipper to share with a friend.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a light, seethru red/cranberry red with a small white head that dies quickly. Smells like a little bit of a wit mixed with some oakiness and berries - like a cheap red wine. Doesn't taste cheap though as there is a pleasant blend of some grape and figs and oak from red wine, yet maintains a mild sweet and fluffiness along w/ some spices to perk it up from the wit. Goes down very smooth and a nice crisp finish. ABV hidden well; a definite sipper and another great brew from DFH.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

I split a bomber with a friend, equal amounts poured into large wine glasses. The brew is a bit cloudy, and has reddish highlights. The white head is a bit small and does not stick around long. The aroma is interesting-red wine with spices. The flavor is complex. The dominant feature is the red wine. The orange and corriander play a nice complement on this one. The beer is well balanced. The only thing I was disappointed about is IMO the brew is overcarbonated. The body is medium and it is a great sipper. The beer far exceeded my expectations.

2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

750ml bottle poured into SA pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy, reddish orange. Fairly dark, lots of good floaties - but overly dark for the style. Average head and retention.

S: Odd. The standard orange, coriander, and lemon notes are present, but the Pinot Noir messes with all that. Grapes, lemon and orange do not mesh too well here.

T: Very heavy on the vinous side, and light on witbier characteristics. Again, I feel the Pinot influence makes this one a mess of clashing flavors. This beer is trying to be too much, losing the satisfy qualities of a crisp Wit. Sadly, this ended as a drain pour .Attempt a great complexity and sometimes you have cherries vying with grapes, lemon and apricots for attention losing out to acidity.

M: Way too full bodied and chewy for the style. Kind of hits the stomach like a rock.

D: ABV is too high here as well.

I think DFH has strayed too far from style here. If you're expecting a wit, move on.

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a fairly hazy orangey-red hue with a thick, fine-bubbled off-white head. Good retention and lacing.

Has a mildly yeasty cherry infused cheese nose to go with the traditional coriander and orange peel. Raspberries and grapes make their way into the aroma as well as a bit of oak.

Taste is...well...pretty far out there, man. Double wit comes to mind, as does a grand cru. Alcohol definitely makes it's presence felt as well as a woody, smoky flavor. Wine-like grape juice in it adds even more complexity with a bit of noble hop additions. I like it, it all works together well. Only complaints I have is that it is a tad undercarbonated and DFH could bump up the specialty malts to lower the heavy alcohol presence. Overall a great beer that I was hesitant to spend $14 on, but glad I did and may even consider buying again soon.

3.24/5  rDev -16.5%

pours a light orange with minamal head and very little lacing.

strong fruit and pinot notes most noticable are apricot.

good bready mouthfeel with a small bitter finish.

good beer not my favorite style. did enjoy and glad i tried it.

the last glass from the 22oz bomber was alittle more bitter and not as enjoyable as the first.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

A very cloudy orange amber with good head and lacing. Moderate carbonation.

Smell is caramel malt and wheat with an orangey citrus edge. There is a grapey banana and Belgian yeast ester mixed in for good measure.

Taste is heavy malt wit. The OG must be quite high. There is enough wheat malt to lighten the backbone and give it some twang. There is a grape tinged woodiness and Belgian spiciness traditionally found in a witbier. Orange floats in as well a curacao. The alcohol is superbly integrated and just peeks out along the sides of my tongue and in the finish adding a touch of sweet heat. A dry almost weizenbock like lingering yeasty bread on the palate. Creamy soft carbonation and a velvety feel help to mask the thickness of this well crafted take on wit.

Drinkability is deceptively good for a beer of this abv. A sipper for sure but you will be sipping frequently and with a smile on your face as you give in seductive aspects of this one.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Orangish-amber body with a thin skim. Nice lacing.

S: Wheat and bread. Some caramel like malt. Not much else.

T: Caramel malt accentuated by wheat and baked bread. Slightly tart. The flavor feels disorganized and sporadic.

M: Smooth with good carbonation and a clean finish.

D: This brew suffers from an identity crisis. There is a lot going on in the taste (not in a good way) and seems simple in the aroma department (also, not in a good way). Interesting concept, but like other DFH brews falls short of the mark for me.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Picked this up at my new spot, Bierkraft....awesome.

A- Pours a translucent brassy coppery light brown. A thin white bubbly head that quickly disappears to a scant foam. Looks like a cloudy ginger ale.

S- Off the bat.... sweet belgiany sugar. A little hay-ish, sloght banana. Nothing that blows my hair back.

T- That belgiany sugary sweetness is my first wave, subtle banana with some orange and a slight touch of wood. Even with the knowledge of pinot, I can honestly say after searching for it I don't pick up "pinot"...but I a. sure it is contributing to the overall complex flavors that blend well.

M- I do love the creamy soft mouthfeel of the brew. Carb is soft, but the beer is full.

D- This beer perplexes me... I would never had guessed this was a wit....more like a dubbel...i guess that's the pinot/oak flavors. But I would never had guessed this had anything to do with any wine grapes whatsoever. With that being said, I enjoyed this very much.... with an orange-soy-cilantro marinated pork sandwich.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A: caramel brown/reddish slightly hazy color with small light head

S: belgian yeasty smell with fruit

T: thought it was a good complex flavor with some malt and oakiness, the pinot comes through well but not overpowering giving some fruit notes. no real bitterness

M: had some carbonation, but clean finish was nice

D: a good sipper, 10% hidden pretty well, but still was clearly a higher abv brew, would definitely enjoy again

3.92/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Poured into a goblet. Poured a orange/yellow hazy color. Head was large and disappeared very quick. Left no lacing.

Smell: Very fruity. Orange and bannana nodes are stong. A woody smell lingers but I really couldn't determine what it was since it was so faint.

Taste: BITTER! Once the bitterness settles that nice wood flavor settles in, finishes very nicely with the pinot noir flavors.

Mouth Feel: Very well balenced, thick carbonation. No aftertaste

Drinkability:Being that it comes in a 750ml, probably best to share this unique thing with others. Not really my style though, and would probably not buy again

With that said, I am glad I bought this one. Definitely gave me something different, if given the chance try it!

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thought I'd like this interesting beer more...

Pours a pretty burnt orange with not much head, but constant light lacing and a ring of foam sticks around. Nose at first was overwhelming, could not figure out what was going on. As it mellowed, the balance came with breadiness and a bit of winey mustiness. Taste is also wine-ish, it's like you accidentally dropped some wine into your witbier. At first it was almost salty, but thankfully that subsided. Now it tastes like a poor light red wine with malts.

Altogether an interesting beer but I was expecting more.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Really a refreshing beer, if the ABV was a little lower, it would be a lot more appealing.
Appearance is cloudy pale brown with a bit of red. Smell is tasty, like a typical wheat, but a little wine-y as expected. Sweet taste like a good wheat beer, taste of banana and the pinot noir go well together. A little less carbonation would make it smoother, and a little less taste of the alcohol would make it a lot more drinkable as noted.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A- orange amber and yellow color. Small head that fades to nothing.

S- sweetness, tart and Belgian yeast.

T- Along with smell.... tart and Belgian yeast. Simular to a Belgiun Pale Ale.

M- Thick bodied, sticks to the palate.

D- Easy drinking.. fairly complex.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

a: amber color, creamy head, some carbonation, very nice and detailed lacing with tiny bubble tapestries
s: orange and coriander are obvious with spice hints evident
t: orange and coriander make their presence known immediately, with a minor mix of bananas and vanilla; slight maltiness gives way to light pinot-like complexity and a nice finish
m: creamy body, moderate carbonation
d: as a fan of both fine beer and pinot noir, a pretty decent combo make a fine beer

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.0 A: Hazy light orange color. Two fingers of creamy head with good retention, though not much lacing at all.

4.5 S: Tons of esters going on here. Peach/apricot, tangerine, and orange peel. A tad bit of funk going along with it. Wonderful.

4.5 T: This is certainly damn good. Ester soup rather than witbier. I feel like my tongue is being dragged through the fruit isle at market. Peach/apricot dominate, then mandarine orange, regular orange, tangerine and white grape. Good balance with just a bit of bittering hops. Alcohol is apparent, but blends very well with the beer as a whole.

4.5 M: Medium body. Crisp carbonation, but very creamy. Excellent.

5.0 D: Really tasty and goes down extremely well. Awesome brew.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

I had this on tap at the Hulmeville Inn. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy copper color with a white heading that disapated quickly. Globs of lacing throughout.

Smell is banana and other fruits,I smell the woodiness to it as some have mentioned, kind of funky.

Taste is well not banana but spice and corriander but very subtle nothing overdone. A nice sweetness to it as well. A heavy booziness cover's most of it up but it is a tasty beverage but a bit to heavy for a session brew.

Mouth is medium bodied-good carbonation.

Drinkability is good nothing spectacular but could have another one.

3.47/5  rDev -10.6%

Served in a cognac snifter at the Tap room in Brattleboro.
Looked amber with nice carbonation that settled to a few bubbles clinging to the sides fot eh glass.

Candy like and distinctly phenolic aroma.

Taste is phenolic and candy-like. Warming on the palate yet hot with alcohol.. Musty and earthy with undertones of blood and iron. Slight plastic like taste.

Finishes dry and slightly winy at the end. Mouthfeel is very distinct, light to medium bodied with an aspect of wine to it, can't quite find the word to describe it, other then winy.

Drinkability. I had a tough time finishing this one. It's tatsy but very unique in it's flavor profile. It's worth a try once, but I'm not so sure I'll be drinking this one again.

A - Poured into a wine glass, decent slightly yellow head that spotted around the glass. A slightly hazed but vibrant golden red.

S - Although this was made with red grapes, it has a white grape smell to me... orange/lemon - both fresh and sour smelling at the same time.

T - Sweet and fruity like a wine with a citrus infusion that leaves a slight bitterness on your tongue. Coriander and mild spiciness.

M - Crisp and well carbonated with a drying finish.

D - It definitely covers the ABV well.

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

Not sure if DFH decided to call this a witbier or not, but I think it misses the mark for the style.

Dull ruby pour, some gold in it to brighten it up. A nice foamy head developed quickly, but then receded just as hastily, leaving me wondering if this is normal. Kinda filmy.
Some dark fruits are present in the nose, as well as well pine...someone suggested oak. I don't get oak, maybe ash. It smells like a light red wine, but is a bit musky.
Meh, taste is dull as well. Some dark cherries and hints of orange dance around, but don't land very hard. Hints of clove, and then a slight surge of wood. Not sure which. Pine, perhaps green oak....
Not a drinkable beer for me. For a wit this leaves me in want of spice, lemon, lightness, richness. Will not buy again....may drink it again if offered for free.

Red & White from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery