Red & White | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Witbier

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

Added by hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,829 |  Reviews: 706
4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

750 ml bottle poured in to a goblet.

Pours a hazy, chunky orange with a thin, steady clingy white head.

Smell is yeasty and fruity. Smells like Unibroue.

Bold, smooth taste. Definite taste of pinot noir with mellow orange. Excellent taste.

Mouthfeel is good for what it is.

Alcohol is undetectable at first, then maybe some warming.

this is a great beer. A slam dunk for the master experimentor at Dogfish Head.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Via 750ml bottle on 3/28/09.

A - Poured a clear, effervescent reddish amber body with a thin off-white head that transformed into a patchy film and yielded sparse lacing.

S - Woody notes and oak tannins dominate the aroma, but do so with a spicy flair, suggesting clove and coriander as well as hints of citrus rind and licorice.

T - Red & White boasts the complexities of a fine wine with dry, woody notes and oaky tannins. While the hop bitterness is pretty non-existent, there is plenty going on with this brew. I picked up on hints of licorice, clove, spices and citrus fruit.

M - Medium body with lively carbonation and a light syrupy texture. Finish is dry and spicy on the palate with a mild astringency.

D - Nice complex brew, and another DFH offering that expands the boundaries of what beer should be. While I think I prefer their Black & Blue, I definitely appreciate what Sam & Co. have done here.

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

I'm always excited to try DFH's unique offerings, so I was pretty excited when I found this at Whole Foods.

A- Red and White pours light reddish gold, with a small amount of head. Pours pretty thick for a wit.
S- Smells like a wit with everything the label promises. Spices, orange, grapes, a little bit of oak. The alcohol is noticeable in the smell as well.
T- Unfortunately this is where this beer goes downhill for me. After the first sip the first thing I thought was "boozy and cloying". As I moved through the beer, the alcohol was noticeable much more in some sips than others, but when it was noticeable it was boozy and unpleasant as opposed to warming in my opinion. Red and White is sweet to the point of being cloying for me. Usually I don't have a problem with sweet beers but this one was over the top. The wine like flavor from the grapes was interesting, and the hints of oak were nice as well, but these aspects that work well take a backseat and are overshadowed by the sweet booziness.
M- Syrupy, coating the inside of the mouth and throat. Very noticeable 10% abv.
D- I split the bottle two ways with a friend. Honestly, I could have split it 6 or 7 ways and still have had enough of this beer.

Overall this one misses the mark with me, but I am left with no lower of an opinion of DFH because of it. I love the unique beers that they offer and the fact that they are constantly pushing the envelope when it comes to styles. With so many "off centered ales" in their lineup, of course there are going to be a few that I don't like. In my mind they make up for it though every time they blow me away with something unique and different that I haven't tried before. So, overall even though I didn't like it I am glad I tried Red and White, and I won't hesitate to continue buying from DFH.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Amber colored beer with a ton of suspended yeast.Aroma is raisins and dark fruit.Taste is dark fruit and alcohol warmth.I bought a 25 oz bottle in a rush for 16.50.When I logged on and saw it labeled as a witbier I thought great 16.50 for the crappiest beer style on earth.Thankfully though it actually has the qualities of a strong belgian ale.THis is a good flavorful beer with a kick,and would recommend to try!!

2.53/5  rDev -34.8%

<2009 vintage. cellar-temperature. pop the cap and into a sniffer> Nose is lightly hoppy/funky - probably more funky than hoppy. Actually yes, it smells rather like the inside of a medicine bottle. It has a sweet smell, maybe like oak. Notes of pepper. Smells pretty good.

Pours a deep reddish butterscotch color, moderate clarity, mild head. Looks good.

Very smooth and quite viscous. Flavor-wise it's kind of one-dimensionally medicinal - dull and lifeless. <a few more sips> There's a little malt - slightly sweet with toasty warm nut and roasted sugar - and still an overbearing sterile vibe. Some vinous notes deep, especially in the aftertaste. Alcohol heat comes near the finish, and begins to work with the medicinalness on numbing the tongue.

Maybe that sterile flavor I get is the grape juice, but I don't really see how. It does kind of remind me of a cheap cabernet, if I imagine it with less alcohol. Yes, come to think of it, it has the kind of super-dry mouth-numbing/coating characteristics of a dry red wine.

I don't like it. Nothing about it is appealing in the way I enjoy good beers or good wine. It's raw, harsh, considerably unpleasant, and (most importantly) boring. I couldn't get the waves of flavor some describe, it's just the same watered-down cheap red wine flavor, sip after unpleasant sip. Some odd-tasting beers are unpleasant and interesting, but this is hard to drink and uninspired.

In summary: "It's just the same watered-down cheap red wine flavor, sip after unpleasant sip."

4.37/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottled in 2009. I've had this in the fridge for about a week. I'd hoped that it would settle to become clear, but I knew that it really wouldn't. It's a cloudy deep-orange marmalade color with a bit of a crimson cast. The massive head's held up very well, and it's left a magnificent sheet of wide-holed lace about the entire glass. Large tulip, by the way.

The nose is sweetish, fruity, and very slightly tart/funky. There's an edge of wood to it. And some orange. And spice. Candy notes and berry-like fruit seem to dominate.

In the mouth it's medium-full in body with a dextrinous edge, and gently bristling on the tongue with a fine-bubbled, just slightly elevated carbonation. Some alcohol gives it a bit of an edge as well, but it's actually nice in that it helps to cut through the malt.

The flavor is very much as the aroma indicates, with orange and fruit and spice and oak & alcohol dryness amidst a candyish malt base. I kind of recalled that there was "wine" in here as well from the first time I had it, but that was years ago. I picked up on it instantly, and then checked the label. Yep. Then it kind of disappeared for a bit and I was tasting more of the malty sweetness and berry-like fruit. But then the more interesting flavors came into focus. I pick the grape juice up mostly in the finish, although I think it's also probably what's giving me the berry-like flavors upfront. It's got a bit of alcohol to it. I can taste it and I can feel it. And it's got some hop bitterness as well. Not a lot, but certainly enough to keep it firm.

It's interesting how the flavors change, and how pronounced they can be at times. Sometimes the spice is just a swirl, and other times it's almost all you can taste. Same thing goes for the orange, and the grape, and the alcohol or oak. And that gives it complexity; which then lends to drinkability. It's not a beer you can drink a lot of, but you'll probably enjoy what you've had, and perhaps want another. Very nicely done, and quite unique.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Red & White
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Style: Witbier
ABV: 10.00 %
live review 3/23/09 @ home
champagne bottle>pint glass

"...malt beverage brewed with pinot noir, coriander, orange peel, and aged in oak barrels/staves..."

A 4.0 blood orange in color, excellent head and retention, nice lace through entire beer, noticeable chunky sediment
S 4.0 complex aroma - coriander, orange/dark citrus, mild wine/pinot, clove and yeast notes.
T 4.0 complex in taste, tart and clovey on palate, coriander is present, along with some pinot as a tart adjunct. Almost some tart raspberry notes.
MF 4.0 medium+ in body, medium in carbonation
D 4.0 this is a very unique and potent witbier. it's always cool to see what the DFH team has come up with. This is a unique find for sure. It's educational and interesting, it would be nice as a sipper with the right food pairing, but it is not a session witbier.

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours with big, expanding Belgian head, the color of vanilla, topping a very dark gold / brown brew. Some sediment in suspension. Uber thick cap leaves some decently nice lacing.

Whiffs of a boozy wit, with freshly threshed wheat and a twinge of orange peel. Belgian characteristics, dusty yeast more than dough, although that is detectable as well. I think I'm detecting a hint of cherry, rather than grape.

Banana and other wheat and wit flavors, but with a boatload of complexity and other notes thrown mixed in. Wood - oak, of course - notes from the barrel aging. A splash of grape juice gives way to a very lip-smackingly dry end (it is definitely aided by an alcohol kick and spice), along the lines of exceptionally dry champagne. A dusting of yeast coats the palate.

Fairly thick, with a quite chewy feel. Carbonation is towards the low end, but is appropriate and does provide a slight tingly kick to keep the beer from becoming too syrupy. Quite nice, overall.

4.4/5  rDev +13.4%

Consumed at 50 degrees. Smells of dry white wine with a hint of grapes and oak. Pours reddish amber with lacing and thin white head. Has excellent body and amazing palate. Not a huge wheat fan, but it's complexity makes you forget because it takes your taste buds on a ride. Has a much maltier profile than the smell makes you think. Tastes of orange, vanilla, and as smooth as the day is long.

On tap last night at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio into a clean, clear snifter. Review from notes

A Minimal one cm head dissipated into a ring around the top. Great lacing after repeated sips. Yellow brown body, possibly on the light side (the "white" I suppose).

S Malt sweetness, maybe a touch of port wine.

T Like a good Belgian sweet malt and yeast with some port wine taste. Inviting, rewarding, very good.

M Full with big ABV and Carbonation.

D Good for high ABV. Interesting to have on tap.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

Cloudy orange-apricot with heavy yeasty sediment. Head is slight and quickly becomes a thin sheen.

Aroma is caramel malt with powdery yeasty spices. Generous citrus fruit - orange, apricot, and mango. Hints of earthy hop.

Taste is initially bready caramel malt and very fruity, as mentioned in the nose. Hops are earthy and herbal in nature. Plenty of yeasty spices in the finish - notably nutmeg, ginger, and corriander.

Mouthfeel is medium-full. Very soft and smooth.

A very tasty treat. A must try. This is a complex, powerful brew.

Poured a super cloudy amber orange colar with a thin white head.

Has a big yeasty belgian smell with a big citrusy orange flavor.

Has a big spicy flavor with lots of orange and musty basementy yeast, very spicy with a nice bit of sweet alcohol and grainy. A bit of light lemony hops. The flavors are very strong and enjoyable with a lot of complexities.

The mouthfeel is heavy and full with a long dry finish.

Nice and drinkable big belgian white.

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Honestly, I don't know what the hell to make of this.

I give a big time pass to Dogfish Head for their awesome and crazy brews, but this one is just a bit over the top to me.

Dark orange color with a super-tight whipped merengue-like head. Looks really awesome and interesting in contrast to the soapy bubbles that are usually topping a wit.

The aroma is impacted by what I consider traditional witbier ingredients, and mainly how they are not present. There's some spicing that is mildly and not unpleasantly coriander-like, but other than that there is some vinous, grape-juice like notes and a good deal of alcohol.

The flavor is complex and interesting; again, not in the realm of the witbier. Lots of wine notes, a little woodiness, a lot of candy sugar, and not quite enough carbonation. It's almost like the barrel-aging took away all the characteristics of the 'normal' beer.

It's an okay, avant-garde DFH beer with a lot of alcohol. I have no idea how they managed to convince themselves that this was a 'witbier'. More carbonation would have resulted in a more pleasing drink, while a few less days in the barrels might have let the original flavors shine through.

When the waitress described this, I though Ah, just another crazy experiment from DFH, which is far from my favorite brewery. So I tried it - a small pour in a white wine glass. And I must say, Crazy this may be, but it is pretty damned good.

Pours a light pinkish, with a small, fizzy head, like a carbonated blush wine. Smells and tastes fresh and slightly citusy, with the wit character, but with a faint hint of the red wine. The net effect is like a fizzy, pleasant rose champagne. The mouthfeel is thin and refreshing.

Worth a try - wish I'd had it on a hot day.

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%

2009 bottling, enjoyed 3/3/09. Let's start this one off by just stating that this is most definitely not a witbier. Double or Imperial White, ok, I could believe that- though even that description does not suit this beer that well. More of a "strong witbier with grapes," that tells you what this beast is going to taste like.

Appearance- Nice healthy bright white head that is responsive to strength of pour. Nice lacing up and down the entire glass. Cloudy with suspending yeast- pretty high flocculence. Straight-up clover honey amber color.

Smell- Struggles to produce a coherent and boldly identifiable smell. There's a definite grape thing going on with the subtle orange peel in the background. Certainly not the most aromatic beer, but nothing stands out as being bad either.

Taste- Wow, what a difference between smell and taste. So many more subtle things going on are immediately evident. Notes of honey, hay, light fruitiness, belgian candy sugar?, grapes, and OAK. Quite a bit of oak actually, but it seems perfect for this beer to me. Balance is perfect. very complex and refined. Interested to see how this ages.

Mouthfeel- the oak provides a bit of a drying finish, but it's not too dry- just dry enough for you to want another sip.

Drinkability- I can't believe that this only has a B+ on BA at the time of this review. I have got to pick up some more of this and age at least one bottle for a year.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

L- looks an amazing caramel brown that seems to lighten as it sits in the glass.
Minimal head, but may have been a poor pour on my part. Cloudy with clear edges, and no lacing.

S- barley, and a yeasty almost ommegang belgian ale smell to it. Somewhat caramel, sort of a metallic high note in there.

M- smooth entry and fills your mouth with a layer of goodness. Carbonation is low-mid, with a tongue tingle noted but sparse. Feels heavy and fulfilling. Definitely something in your mouth.

T- very yeasty malt is prominent. Makes you search for everything else. There is a woody sort of after taste. And I remember thinking wood when I smelled it, but thought maybe I was imagining. Hmmm This appears to be very simple, not in a bad way, but it's not full of many flavors, simply says, "Good Day Sir, I am yeast, barley goodness, enjoy my everything."

O- This was a somewhat expensive purchase, I believe I picked it up for $12, but I am happy. It is a genuinely good beer. I would gladly buy another. Reminds me somewhat of a quad, in the lack of depth. It sounds so wrong to describe it that way, but I don't mean it poorly. Just like a ruination, focused, one-dimensional, and extremely tasty.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured this one into a tulip glass.

Thought that the hefty pricetag of over 13 bucks was quite pricey, but what else do you expect from Dogfish Head? You pay for the quality as well as the very nice packaging.

A- Burnt amber/light orange color. Beautiful cream colored head. The beer actually looked very thick for a witbier. Carbonation bubbles floating all around.

S- Smell was of oranges and cream plus the spices. Very enticing aroma that was not overly spiced. This reminded me of a creamsicle with a kick.

T- Oranges, fresh cut wheat, banana, cardamom, allspice, some vanilla. Malt, wine, some sourness, grapes. Complex, yes.

M- As others have said before me, the mouthfeel of this beer is incredible. Thick and creamy. Not filling or overdone. Tingly, refreshing. Certainly a treat in my mouth.

D- Way too tasty for a beer of this strength. I enjoyed it greatly. Felt this was well done and could be even better with age.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Reviewed 11/9/2007 (bottled 02/09/07E):

Pours a clear strong red color, orangish at the edges. Small head, white-reddish, diminishing, decent lacing. Very strong grape aroma, alcohol, musky, woodsy. Good taste, Strong start, clean finish. Some alcohol, dark fruit. Fruity taste. Smooth mouthfeel. A little too dark and heavy for me, but pretty good. Reminiscent of a Belgian or an American Strong.

A - Poured a hazed red color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Has a spiced orange citrus nose

T - Theres a spiced wine taste with hints of orange and yeast thers a lot going on here

M - This beer has a medium body with high carbonation to it

D - I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and could have drank more than my half of the bottle it has a good flavor that was easy to drink worth trying

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Nice reddish, golden color with a thin head
S: Not much in the way of smell has a little fruit smell though
T: Good and complex, new flavors come out with each sip. Definitely a nice fruit taste there.
M: Full bodied beer with a nice amount of carbonation. Grows on me with each sip.
D: Could easily drink a lot of this it tastes good and is very complex, you find out more things about this beer every sip you take.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this on-tap at the Brick Store in Atlanta.

Pours a hazy yellow-red color - it's red at the center, seguing to orange then yellow at the outer edges. Head is one-finger of off-white foam that dissipates into a patchy layer of bubbles on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light fruits - bananas and pears - with light hints of spices and an earthiness that has hints of the red wine barrels.

Tastes very good. Light fruits up front that give way to sweet malts. The barrels definitely have more of an influence on the taste than they do the smell, though the flavors still manage to blend in very nicely. The underlying earthiness, with hints of vanilla, takes over a little past midway through the sip and holds on until it's over.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness and solid carbonation, though I feel like this could thicken up and be better after a bit more aging.

Drinkability is good. A lot of flavors intermingle in this beer, and I could have three pints of this and still not completely figure this beer out.

Overall this is another "hit" for DFH. I'd been avoiding this beer for a while thinking that I wouldn't like it, but I've been proved wrong. Definitely give this one a shot.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

From notes. On tap at Barcade in Brooklyn. Hazy reddish copper, no head, no lacing, but beautiful. SMELL is faint. Takes effort to find. sweet malty and boozy, but faint. Hard to find. Wood and wine emerge late. TASTE sweet malty base dominates up front. Yeasty, banana, and earthy wood notes add complexity. Some hops coming in later. Wine coming in as it warms. Quite complex. FEEL the moderate carbonation, rich, full and viscous texture, and clean finish. Luxurious. OVERALL this one is way too tasty and rich to drink quickly.

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a 750 into my hennepin glass. Nice cloudy amber color, pure white head. Smelled like a cheap pinot grigio to me, lots of fruit.
Taste was confusing and busy at first. Second Taste was better, third was even better and so forth. Definitely taste the Belgian aspects in there, and not as fruity as I was led to believe. Lively carbonation, aftertaste is slightly tart with a lingering hint of alcohol.

Besides the original whiff, I enjoyed the crap out of this, and I consumed the 750 very easily. I would like to get another to age for a year or so, and see what happens.

Rather than review what others may have said about this beer, I need to add some notes on a bottle that I had cellared for two years. It was from 2007.

Final outcome: Don't even bother drinking Red & White too soon. The mouthfeel and taste improved tremendously compared to the 2009 sample that just arrived in which you can taste the alcohol more strongly, thus giving it a more "biting" feel on the tongue. The wine and beer characteristics seemed more integrated with the 2007 bottle.

I was thinking of not buying any more '09 bottles since it's a bit costly for what I experienced when you drink them "young". Now that I know how well this beer ages, I intend on purchasing a few that will not be opened for years.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Deep reddish orange color with a crackly off white head. Clear brew but with a light haze to it. The head fades fast leaving nothing but a small island of bubbles around.

The smell is very distinctly Belgian in style. The yeast scent is unmistakable as is the light touches of orange and coriander. Not bad but also not great. This beer smells a little to sweet if you want my honest opinion.

Tastes to sweet too. The strong Belgian flavors are masked by a saccharine punch to the teeth. What little gets through is orange, citrus with a white wine twist. Nice flavors in the finish, I get some crisp spiced peach and touch of candied ginger.

Dry mouthfeel but not boozy. For 10% this is an easy drinking beer. I am glad there isn't much of a barrel flavor as it would be to heavy and blanket this beer that is light to medium in body. All in all this is a good middle of the road beverage. I like the experimentation concept but I dislike the end result. To me this is a confused Belgian style beer that has too many flavors to really make a strong backbone.

Red & White from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery