Black & Blue | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

Added by ggaughan on 08-23-2006

Ratings: 1,619 |  Reviews: 529
3.5/5  rDev -5.1%

3.89/5  rDev +5.4%

This was a 2012 vintage at the brewpub.

4.12/5  rDev +11.7%

Sampled from a 750ml bottle in a Dogfish Head snifter glass.

A - Red with a haze and particles floating throughout. A thick head with a reddish tint.

S - Fruity and sweet. A bit like a Flemish red but not as tart.

T - Slightly sweet with a mild sourness / tartness and some alcohol presence. I love Flemish reds ands this has a hint of that but also adds a sweetness to balance that aspect. I liked this beer more and more as it went on.

M - Good consistency with a moderate carbonation.

D - Good, smooth and easy to drink.

I've loved DFH for some time now but I've hesitated to try their more creative brews. This was a step in that direction. And while I prefer hops to anything else, they really show some depth in their beers.

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a slightly hazy orangish pink color like a late day sunnyset. There is a two finger soapy white head whiches recedes to skim and leaves some lacing on the sides. Very nice long very inviting. The aroma is of sweet blueberries and blackberries with a hint of graininess. The smell is very inviting. Not a complex smell but a very good smell. The taste follows the nose exactly. A big blueberry and blackberry taste with a hint of malt to balance out the flavors. Sweet and smooth taste very good, very nice. The mouthfeel is of moderate carbonation and is slightly dry, kinda wine like. Overall it is a very good beer, nice taste for a fruit beer, upper ratings there, but the smell is very nice. This is a beer I would seek out again and again.

2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

I bought this on the strenghth of DFH other beers. I really enjoyed Red and White; however, The Black and Blue left me wanting more. The beer was served in a wide mouth wine goblet.

Appearance: The body of the beer indeed appears like what you would expect blackbeer/ blueberry juice to look like. A 2 finger white head crest the beer. The head has very little staying power and resolves to a thin ring of foam.

Smell: The beer has a rather weak berry aroma. The Raspberry and Blueberry are not particularly intense. A bit of earthyness plays at the back of the smell.

Taste: A very muted berry flavor peaks out underneath the flavor of a malt liquor. The beer has a vaguely medicinal cough syrup sort of flavor. The alcohol is very boozey and not really worked into the flavor. This just doesnt work for me.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a meduim body. The beer is very medicinal and boozey in mouthfeel. As stated previously this beer doesnt really work for me. The beer was drinkable and nowhere near a sink pour; however, the beer just doesnt work for me on so many levels. I got a drinking experience from this similar to having berry extract added to my malt liquor. With that said I know the beer is experimental. I have enjoyed numerous experimental brews. I will most likely buy another DFH experimental beer. Thanks for continueing to push the envelope.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

2.88/5  rDev -22%

Bottled in 2010.
Split with my wife and served in wine glasses.

This is a little bit like a blueberry/blackberry Cerise... Only not done as well in my opinion.
I REALLY like Cerise... This one isn't bad, but since fruit beers are my guilty pleasure, I tend to rate them a bit harder...

The beer looks like a nice fruit beer-- pinkish orange in color with a small white head. Nice thick and oily legs but no lacing and weak retention.
Smells like a wild berry Belgian golden ale mixed with blackberry Clearly Canadian sparkling water... It has some positives and some negatives... The flavor has an off-putting mineral/chalky quality that I'm not the biggest fan of-- although as it warms that goes away a bit (or perhaps I grow accustomed to it?!)
The beer starts of with some raspberry, black cherry, and light blueberry notes before finishing REALLY dry and kicking forth waaay too much yeast character. The finish lingers with a little boozy warmth that isn't entirely unpleasant-- but that stands out in a big way because the flavor profile isn't big enough to support this level of booziness. More fruit flavor would be awesome-- maybe triple the blueberry and double the blackberry.

The beer has a slight syrupy feel to it with an oiliness on the finish. More carbonation would help.

Overall-- this beer is too boozy, not flavorful enough, and in need of more carbonation. lots could be improved on--- but if this were my homebrew I would be eager to play with it. I certainly wouldn't stop here, I'd reconfigure the recipe and try to make something spectacular. I do harbor a slight concern that the base beer is the wrong platform off of which to build this recipe, but perhaps more fruit, and a bit more sweet malt action could save it.

3.36/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Disappointed - too much coriander, not enough black and blue (Berry that is).

2.55/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours out a really clear reddish amber with three fingers of tan suds. Lots of lacing though
Not a lot of smell here. I get a dark bready aroma. No fruit here.
Taste is not good. Dirty sugar and nasty water.
The Red and White was better. This black and blue is gross and nasty.
Stay with the Red and White!

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Had on tap an hour ago at Winking Lizard in Mentor, Ohio, an "on tap limited availability" offering. Cost of $6.25, poured into a 10 ounce snifter. Thanks to my father in law for buying me this one as we are celebrating the recent birth of my twin daughters (born April 8th).

A Little head over a cloudy copper body. Good look. I did not expect a big head with the high ABV and the fact that it is a fruit beer. 4.0

S Nice, gentle blueberry smell without the heat of alcohol that I expected. 4.0

T The rather high ABV presented itself well in the taste, however, but it was welcomed along with that continued gentle blueberry taste. 4.0

M Pleasingly syrupy, big. 4.5

D Good for the high ABV, I finished every last drop. 4.0

Notes: A treat to find this one on tap. Thanks again Mr. P!

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got this in a flight of 4 aged beers at dogfish head
2009 bottled, drinking 2017
Look - copper and thin
Smell - sour and tart funkiness
Taste - definitely taste the blue and blackberries, pretty funky
Feel - thin syrup almost no carbonation
Overall - interesting. It'll be cool to re check this out at home and see what I say different

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.55/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. This is the 2010 bottling.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a clear dark reddish orange color with a 1" light tan head that soon recedes to a thin layer of foam and a ring around the glass. The thin layer persists for a very long time and sipping leaves both a sheet of foam on one side of the glass and scattered irregular patches of lacing on the other.

Smell: The aroma leaves no doubt there are blackberries and blueberries used in this beer. It is an interesting aroma in that it definitely has some of each with both the slightly tart astringent aroma of the blackberries tickling the nasal passages while the rich full blueberry character smoothes it out and rounds it off.

Taste: At first the flavors don't live up to the fruitiness of the nose. I'm hoping as the beer warms this will smooth out and show more fruit character. At the moment I'm getting fruit only briefly before tartness takes over. While this is clearly a beer best drunk at cool room temperature for the fruit, for me the flavors don't live up to the nose until after the beer has warmed some. I don't pick up much alcohol with this one except from the warming effects

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium to light bodied and both smooth and sticky on the tongue. However there is plenty of light persistent prickly carbonation. The finish is long but pretty non-descript. There's some bitterness here but it is not from the hops. As the sweetness disappears it leaves a tart acidity that is more fruity sour than hop bitter.

Drinkability: While I'm willing to finish this beer I'm not eagerly looking forward to each sip. Nor do I anticipate that I'll go out of my way to have this beer again. In fact I'm thinking that I'll probably not drink it again. I can see how some may like this beer, but its just doesn't work for me.

Note, 30 Dec., 2013: Had a glass of this last night and found myself enjoying it more this time than I had when I reviewed it. The fruits came through nicely and the whole seemed more drinkable that I gave it credit for.

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to mughugger for sharing this bottle with me. You are a good friend.
This did not turn out to as amazing as I had hoped but it was a good and interesting beer worth trying.

Appearance: Pours a grape juice red with a white head that has decent retention and speckled lacing.

Smell: An immediate burst of berries, fruit, vinous red wine and touch of sugar, oak and a light suggestion of alcohol for an 11% beer.

Taste: Like the nose, there is a berry flavor black and red and a grape note in a light body not so much like a red wine but more like a Arbor Mist or a cheap fruit champagne. It has a dry tart finish that is very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth as I mentioned it is bubbly with a dry tart finish.

Drinkability: It is a classy sipping beer best to share with friends over dinner. Small serving would be more suitable enjoyed in a champagne flute at a nice dinner. Then move on to something more special after dinner. That is my suggestion.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Shared a bottle with the wifey this evening. Poured into a couple of champagne flutes...

This glows in the glass, a warm golden with a hint of ruby...

Very pleasant aroma of sweet roasted malts, the biting sweetness of the raspberries and blueberries, but not a hint of alcohol...sort of yeasty as well which reminds me of a Belgian....there are also quite a few vinous qualities present...as it warms a little, it gets much more vinous...

I wasn't quite sure about this after the first sip. It seemed way too malty and not fruity enough... However, the tart fruits soon appeared and this became very Belgian and wine-like...it is a very tasty brew that both the wife and I liked quite a bit..not nearly as tart as the Raspberry Tart but reminds me a lot of it...

The 11% will spank that ass if you aren't careful. Its nowhere to be found in the aroma or taste and before I knew it, I was singing along to Stayin Alive on the TV set... Well done, DFH!

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%

Clear reddish-purple-brown pour with a short, sticky head. Alcoholic fruity aroma. The blueberries and blackberries hit you immediately, but are soon followed by a malt-liquor like flavor mixed with fake sugary fruits. The alcohol is not masked at all. Somewhat disappointing. I thought the guy on the bottle looked like Jimmy Stewart with a black eye.

Black & Blue from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery