Black & Blue | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

Added by ggaughan on 08-23-2006

Ratings: 1,620 |  Reviews: 530
4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

Shared a bottle with the wifey this evening. Poured into a couple of champagne flutes...

This glows in the glass, a warm golden with a hint of ruby...

Very pleasant aroma of sweet roasted malts, the biting sweetness of the raspberries and blueberries, but not a hint of alcohol...sort of yeasty as well which reminds me of a Belgian....there are also quite a few vinous qualities present...as it warms a little, it gets much more vinous...

I wasn't quite sure about this after the first sip. It seemed way too malty and not fruity enough... However, the tart fruits soon appeared and this became very Belgian and wine-like...it is a very tasty brew that both the wife and I liked quite a bit..not nearly as tart as the Raspberry Tart but reminds me a lot of it...

The 11% will spank that ass if you aren't careful. Its nowhere to be found in the aroma or taste and before I knew it, I was singing along to Stayin Alive on the TV set... Well done, DFH!

3.83/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to mughugger for sharing this bottle with me. You are a good friend.
This did not turn out to as amazing as I had hoped but it was a good and interesting beer worth trying.

Appearance: Pours a grape juice red with a white head that has decent retention and speckled lacing.

Smell: An immediate burst of berries, fruit, vinous red wine and touch of sugar, oak and a light suggestion of alcohol for an 11% beer.

Taste: Like the nose, there is a berry flavor black and red and a grape note in a light body not so much like a red wine but more like a Arbor Mist or a cheap fruit champagne. It has a dry tart finish that is very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth as I mentioned it is bubbly with a dry tart finish.

Drinkability: It is a classy sipping beer best to share with friends over dinner. Small serving would be more suitable enjoyed in a champagne flute at a nice dinner. Then move on to something more special after dinner. That is my suggestion.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%

Clear reddish-purple-brown pour with a short, sticky head. Alcoholic fruity aroma. The blueberries and blackberries hit you immediately, but are soon followed by a malt-liquor like flavor mixed with fake sugary fruits. The alcohol is not masked at all. Somewhat disappointing. I thought the guy on the bottle looked like Jimmy Stewart with a black eye.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured unto a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber, head is thin roughly a 1/2" white head.

Smell: Just smelling it before I drink it, it comes off sweetthe blueberry is obviously apparent.

Taste: It tastes exactly how it is described, seriously I can't give it any higher because it comes off little sweet and it's just not my cup of tea.

Mouth: Light-medium carbonation easy down and not hard to drink the ful 25oz on your own.

Overall: I have had a couple of blueberry beers before this one is definitely at the the top of the food chain. Not super sweet but just RIGHT...you will definitely like this beer on a warm summer night and appreciate it's purpose. Hope you all enjoy and cheers!!!!

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

My wife picked out a few "big and fancy" beers and put them in a wine case wrapped up for Christmas... we cracked into them early, and enjoyed this one together since she is a big fan of the fruit beers.

A - Cloudy brown brew with a reddish cast and a nice long-lasting two finger head. This one looks less than fruity, but a tad more reddish than a "normal" brew. Pretty good looking stuff!

S - Tart blueberry skin, caramel, honey, and toffee malt. A whiff of alcohol and some nice leafy hops round things out. This is thankfully low on the sugar and fruit. It smells really well balanced.

T - A little bit more sugar and blueberry on the palate, this is still far from a cloying fruit bomb. On the contrary, this is a unique and complex brew that focuses more on the tart and acidic aspects of a blueberry than the sugary sweet juice. I was really worried that this would be a fruity, sugary disaster, but I had faith in Dogfish Head and they came through for me since this is a nice and complex brew that avoids the fruit beer trap of excessive "girlishness."

M - Medium bodied with some obvious alcohol attenuation and a syrupy feel that detracts a bit from the overall experience. Carbonation is unusually low, and that doesn't help the overly heavy sweetness by any means.

D - Honestly, this is very refined and complex, but the cloying syrupy mouthfeel kinda kills if for me. NOt bad, and totally worth the experience... but this its not something that I'll revisit anytime soon. My wife didn't like it because it wasn't fruity and sugary enough, and while I can appreciate this offering, I thought it was a bit too sweet/sour for me. It's okay.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black & Blue from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery