Palo Santo Marron | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Brown Ale

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

Added by Imstillthegman on 11-19-2006

Ratings: 5,973 |  Reviews: 2,149
3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Well lets start with...I wish I would have rated this brew years ago when I first tried it, because the new brew for which I am rating now is a slight bit different. (still excellent, but not superb like before)
It pours a nice rich dark ebony with nice heavy tan foam...with very nice lacing.
As for the aroma seems to be a lil' on the sweet side, maybe like a cherry coke...with a hint of the wood aged coming thru.
The taste is what i think is a lil' different, but follows the nose...I remember it a tad bit smoother. It does still follow the nose... with a little more of the wood age coming through...and the cherry coke in the background, and the ABV is very well hidden. So I need to finish this review before it shows up!
The feel seems to be a lil' different as well...i remember it a bit smoother, but still very enjoyable by all means with the ABV being there.
Overall it is still a wonderful brew and will keep sampling...nudge, nudge, wink, wink don't cha know.

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 8/5/16

2.73/5  rDev -34.7%

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 7/2018
Pours almost black, thin tan head of small bubbles.
Nose is cherries, cola, raisin, nice light woody notes. Back end is sweet smelling.
Tastes is vanilla, woody- though not it a bourbon sense, cherry and cola notes come through as well. Some boozy notes though they are mild.
Mouthfeel is thick, soft creamy carb.
This beer is a winner for me. Browns are not something I've sought out before but I'm making an effort to try more. The nose on this is very interesting and sets it apart from what I expected. This one doesn't disappoint.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Lovely beer that saholuldn't be in tis catgory

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

4.14/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 12oz bottle of a 12% ABV beer after 12 months in my cellar. A DFH classic, unique and wonderful. Perfect traditional brown look, deep dark cherry and mahogany color, with a brief, pretty cafe au lait head. The rich fragrance hits the nose with a sweet medley of plum jam, chocolate, salty earthy tones and much more. Then the amazing flavor is Chapter 2, not so much adding to the aroma as following it with another burst of flavors, just as varied and entirely different. Char, cocoa and raisins predominant early, then give way to fresh brown bread and honey notes. The mouthfeel is incredible, like a dense liquid of compressed microbubbles that phase shift into carbonation on my tongue. A truly world class beer, even better after a year or two in my cellar!

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.32/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I’m not big into brown ales but I like this. Looks dark brown with some lacing and carbonation bubbling up on the sides. Smells sickeningly sweet and nutty definitely cloying although it doesn’t taste that way. Taste has some sweetness to it, I am getting the vanilla and caramel as described. Also some coffee. The abv is well hidden and I love it cuz I can get a buzz quickly off this. Mouthfeel is semi thick with lots of bubbly. Overall one of my fave brown ales to date.

3.69/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 09:19/16 1931. DFH Tulip!

A: pours a dark brown, bordering on black with a thin skim of head that rapidly dissipates to nothing more than an island in the center. Held up to a bright light nothing is coming through except at the very margins. Some tiny carb showing there at the edge, but nothing else.

S: sweet, syrupy, boozy nose. Caramel, molasses. Maybe my imagination, but I think I smell some wood. Really does smell like a mild, less roasty RIS.

T: arrives with an immediate, mouth filling sweetness. Complex fruit sugars: molasses, dried fig, prune, blood, tobacco, oak. Lingering licorice, vanilla, molasses, tobacco, and then oak. There is a bit of malt roast here, but it is very mild. Like a breakfast blend coffee. Alcohol is not present on the palate nearly as much as you would expect, but it appears toward the end and lingers on the finish. I bought this not knowing that it was nearly two years old. I wonder if this is one that is better fresh?

M: what do you think it feels like? Motor oil. Thick and syrupy, but with adequate carbonation. Fairly clean, but there is a lingering flavor, of not texture.

O: it’s damn near 100 degrees out today, but this has been sitting in my fridge for months, and I figured hey, it’s now or never. I’ve had RIS’s in hot weather before, and so that isn’t the source of my ambivalence. Really, it’s that this is overpoweringly sweet and boozy, and lacking in either hop or roast bitterness to balance it out. I find this true of many barrel-aged beers; perhaps I’m just not a fan of barrel aging beer (I love whisky, though). A definite sipper, best for the winter months and when you have nothing to do and nowhere to be. For me, a one and done. I wanted to have tried it, so I tried it. Glad I did, but I won’t be having it again.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Heavy, but great for a lean back night to relax, not great with dinner, best with dessert

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery