Mixed Media | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by teromous on 04-28-2018

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

L) Pours a lovely straw/amber color. Has a thin white head but very little retention or lacing.

S) The nose is dominated by graininess and a light acidity. You can definitely get a soft, grass-like, grape must profile, with a lovely spritziness.

T) The graininess of the brew definitely comes across, it has a lovely light sweetness and a very forward acidity. You can definitely get some grassy notes, from both the hop-profile and surely from the must as well. Almost a bit of white pepper on the end as well.

F) Drinks really crisp. It is light and refreshing with a medium-high carbonation.

O) A solid brew, surprisingly easy drinking, and the grape must is evident. I would have preferred even more acidity or maybe more of a malt profile, but I won't complain too much.

3.73/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle dated 4/17:
Ok, this pours strikingly clear with a straw body that might be leaning a little towards golden, it doesn't not look like some white wines. Head is stark white, but not too tall. It sticks around as a medium collar and a splotch on the surface - no lacing.

The scents that wafted from my pours to were more reminiscent of a dry white wine than a beer. Upon closer inspection, there is a saison to maybe even witbier-like yeast and light spice note. The wine has merged with a a light almost crackery malt to provide a lightly fruity sweetness. As I sip, the white wine grape notes to start to present themselves again to me.

Opening sip is mostly white grape juice, but their is a little tartness (maybe a little passion fruit like) and maybe even a hint of peach. A clean flavor, the light cracker malt from the nose can be found if I look for it. The Belgian yeast is obvious and plays along with the wine notes early before coming out just a little more in back. The back has a light white peppery note, with that peach/passionfruit thing making it through to that point as well.

I must say, my first few sips of this beer were very refreshing - reminding me a bit of Noble Rot (though it has been a while since I had that beer). The wine started becoming the main player, especially up front as I drank. The beer side seemed to hold that in check more than playing along. The back had a bit more of the beer aspect, but the wine was still in play. Overall, it was still a fairly refreshing brew, though a little more carbonation would've helped this even more.

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%

4.31/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wrote a whole review for this for nothing, as it got deleted when I went to post it. C'mon BA. Fix this review system already. Short and sweet, a great interpretation of a beer/wine hybrid style. Big notes of white grapes in the aroma and taste. As close as you can get to a Pinot Gris but still having it yield a beer structure. Not too dry, actually nice enough to enjoy on a hot summer day without killing your palate. This one will go nice with some fresh seafood this summer, or lighter dishes. Recommend for a beer drinker and for a wine drinker trying to expand into beer, great entry level brew for them.

3.78/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a clear gold color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a very thin cap

S: Very vinous and fruity with lots of grape, pear, and apple. Some very light malt in there as well

T: Follows the nose with a more beefed up malt presence. Starts off with some sweet malt and vinous notes. Grape, pear, and apple still stand out. Finishes with lingering malt

M: Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: A solid beer-wine hybrid that is super easy to drink. Take the sweetness of a malty brew or red wine and throw it into the body and feel of a white wine and that's almost what you get here. Try it out

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery "Mixed Media"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED ON 04/17/18 1439"

Notes via stream of consciousness: This is my 4th bottle out of a six-pack and I still can't get my head around it so let me work through that before I actually taste the beer. I like it, it's not bad, but it's just not as exciting as their other grape must beers (Noble Rot, Red & White, etc.). My wife had the same impression, she drank one and said it was "just OK, not as good as I thought it would be". On the other hand it's nice and clean and very accessible so I don't know, I feel like you could drink it at almost any occasion and it would fit right in. Mainly I see it as more of a warm weather beer though. I could see having one of these at a summer BBQ, and at least it's more interesting and flavorful than an American adjunct lager. What I guess is my problem really, is that it should be better than that given what it is, and the cost involved. I don't know...

So, OK, it pours a clear light straw-gold body beneath a two finger thick head of bright white. The head retention is good and it leaves some nice lacing. The aroma is mainly like white grape although there is a very light bit of malt to it as well. The flavor follows the aroma with lightly sweet white grape set beside a light golden maltiness. It reminds me of a Vouvray or Chenin Blanc... Chardonnay is coming to mind but that's not it, too sharp. Anyway, I get the grape first and then the malt, and they don't really seem to meld to me. As with the aroma, I don't find much else. There's some mild Belgian yeast character, but there are no hops - of course that's to be expected in a beer that's advertised as "The closest an ale can legally be to wine!". In the mouth it's medium bodied, moderately carbonated and smooth, but also slightly acidic which gives it some bite. As a fan of carbonated wines I can say that it is definitely like wine in that regard; and I think the finish is like a mildly sweet wine as well. Here's my problem though, overall I'm not finding it that exciting. I think I'd just rather have a glass of wine. And I guess that makes sense because the beer side of it is limited, although there is some nice Belgian-yeast character. I don't know, but let me wrap this up, I can't judge this beer to style because there is no style, so I'm just going hedonistically. It's not my favorite wine must beer from Dogfish Head but i wouldn't turn it down if someone offered it to me; and it's at least worth trying just to see what it's like.
Review#6,017

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

The crystal clear light golden yellow colored beer pours out into a Duvel glass with a 1/2” white head that soon recedes to a thin layer and a ring around the glass. Sipping creates scattered patches of lacing, most of which slide back down to the liquid. By mid-way through the beer there’s only a ring of foam left.

The aromas include the white wine up front against a background of green orchard fruits and hints of spicy Belgian yeast.

The flavors are much as expected from the nose with the white wine, its tartness and some green orchard fruits up front and backed up by a bit of spicy clove. The malt sweetness is part of the background that also has some floral and grassy bitterness.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and fairly smooth with the light, gentle persistent carbonation. The finish begins as the white grape/wine flavors move a bit towards the background allowing the clove and earthy grassy bitterness to temporarily move forward before everything then moves towards a dry, lightly bitter and slightly fruity, slightly tart and crisp ending.

Overall this is a light, crisp, slightly tart and refreshing beer that seems a well done example of what a wine-beer hybrid can be. It shows off what’s nice about a white wine and blends it seamlessly with the characteristics of a lightly flavored and refreshing summer beer that brings a bit of clove, some malt sweetness and some hop bitterness to the table. I’m enjoying this beer and look forward to having more in the near future.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am continuing New Rock & Roll Beer (& Other Stuff) Sunday (Week 690). I had been thinking about going to the Punk In Drublic fest in PHL today, but it just became too logistically and monetarily daunting, so I gave up on the idea. I am not giving up on the idea of NBS, however.

From the Bottle: "Vino-esque Ale brewed with Grape Must".

In order to do a review & rating, I must first Pop! the cap. Then, I must pour it into an awaiting glass, utilizing a speed & force of my choice. Next, I must ... Pssst, Bro. Woody! Yes? It's grape must, the freshly pressed juice that contains the skins, seeds and stems of the fruit, NOT everything that is required of you! 8=( Cue Emily Litella: "Nevermind!" See how I still got in a Rock & Roll allusion? Once my heavy-handed aggro pour was finished, it formed just over a finger of foamy, fluffy, fizzy, bone-white head that quickly fizzed its way down to wisps. leaving only a smattering of lacing in its wake. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was extremely vinous, evocative of a white wine with a hint of grassiness. I would have recognized that grapes were involved even if the label had not made it evident. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not far beyond it, either. Ooh, my! The taste was very tart and dry, very much like a dry white wine. My maternal uncle and a former student were ardent home winemakers during my tour in the S.F. Bay area from 1987 to 1989 & we made and sampled a LOT of wine during those years. I am not a big fan of wine, but I certainly recognize the flavors. If we are to rate/review to style & not to taste, then this is fantastic! Sure, it is borderline beer, but it is definitely fruit-driven. Every sip made me think of white grapes, not so much of beer, carbonation notwithstanding. Finish was tart, dry, refreshing, quite vinous. Beer? Wine? Fruit beer!

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.62/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle

Pours clear straw yellow with a receding creamy frothy white foam head. Smells like fresh grape juice, white wine, clean Belgian yeast, white grapes, apple, pear, orchard fruit, peach, nectarine, pineapple, citrus, banana, clove-like spice, mild biscuity grain, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes slightly tart and acidic with fresh white grape juice, white grapes, white wine, clean Belgian yeast, banana, clove-like spice, fresh apples, pear, orchard fruit, peach, nectarine, pineapple, some citrus peel, mild biscuity grain, finishing dry with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels full bodied, oily and smooth with moderate high carbonation. This is a great representation of white wine in a beer. Overall a real nice and interesting vino-esque ale.

3.24/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the brewery.

A - Straw yellow pour, no carbonation, and light thin white lacing.

S - White grapes, Pinot Grigio wine, light nose.

T - White grapes, light oak, some light peppery spice, and white grape acidity.

M - Big medium body with prickly carbonation.

O - Almost tastes like a Pinot Grigio wine. Not sure why Sam has been on a grape kick lately with the DFH beers. Are you trying to lure wine drinkers over to the "dark" side?

3.09/5  rDev -18.3%

From the neck of the bottle, in yellow ink: "BOTTLED ON 04/17/18" The last bit is skewed but it looks like it says "1419"

Appearance: The beer has an amazing looking body. It is a light gold color with absolutely brilliant clarity. There is a short white head that forms and fizzes out quickly. No head retention or lacing.

Aroma: There isn't too much of an aroma to this beer. There is a bit of a funky smell which has a bit of clove. It is pretty underwhelming.

Taste: Up front it has this slightly sweet, nondescript, flavor with just a bit of clove. This is shortly followed by a burst of tartness. It finishes with a sweet grain flavor with a bit of what tastes like honey. The aftertaste has a fruity character. Aside from the fruit and tartness, the flavors are largely reminiscent of a Belgian Tripel.

Mouthfeel: It is a very easy beer to drink that is both light and refreshing. It has a body that rests on the upper-side of light and it is nicely carbonated.

Overall: It's a pretty good beer. It's light and it would be enjoyable with some salad or fish during warm weather. The highlight of the beer is its interesting flavor where this spicy clove mixes with this sweet grain flavor and light tartness. Unfortunately much of the grape character is lost behind that spice character and the beer flavor starts to feel a bit muddy. It's a beer that is worth trying but I probably won't pick it up again.

Mixed Media from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery