Festina Pêche | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Reviews: 1,357 | Ratings: 4,302
2.15/5  rDev -41.1%

Reminded me immediately of a not-quite-ready white wine I tried to brew once in college, using Welch's White Grape Juice and baker's yeast.

First appearance-- bubbly white foamy soda-pop head without much appeal.

Smell-- not quite ready for prime time odor.

Taste-- blehh. Sorry. Mostly like half-done yeast with a little fruity flavor and immediate nausea.

Mouth-- nasty aftertaste, a bit of an alum-effect even a few minutes later.

Drinkability-- I'm working on getting up enough courage to take another ounce of the stuff. Greatly disappointed in Dogfish on this one.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into nonic pint with a think white head. The beer is pale yellow, slightly cloudy. The aroma gives a hint of the tartness to come. The taste is indeed very tart. If you aren't expecting this it could be a shock. I don't detect much peach flavor. This is a very refreshing beer that I enjoyed through the summer. It's great after finishing up working in the yard. The low ABV makes it a very sessionable beer. I had a couple left in the refrigerator that I'm enjoying now rather than keeping them longer. They've lost a bit of the check sucking tartness of the fresher botttles but still enjoyable. Will look for this again next year to enjoy during the dog days of summer.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

P: 12 oz. Brown longneck

A: Slightly cloudy golden yellow pour with a sparkling wine/champagne effervescent loose white foam head that quickly falls to a thin cover and no lace.

S: Light sweet peaches...yeap, I smell peachs..not apples not pears just peaches.

T: Complete absence of any grains just an intense carbonation on the tongue that has a ‘white noise’ of flavor then a tart rush of peaches minus any sweetness.

M: Effervesce keeps the mouth awake from beginning to end…and I took my time to savor the slight changes as it slowly warmed...not much changed. Very dry and finish

D: Dogfish’s answer to a lambic, wine cooler, Mikes Hard Lemonade….etc. etc.
Interesting drink that I would have again on a hot day. Would be interesting to add to a lambic blind tasting.
Not what I expected but not bad.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

A- BIg white head on a white light yellow body.
S- Light peach aroma with what smells like lager yeast, light toast malts, and just a hint of grass hops.
T- Very different. Big sour peach flavor that makes your jaws lock, light toasted malts, some grass hops that leave just a little bitterness on tip of tongue, and another flavor can't really pick out.
M- Thin/medium body with high carbonation.
D- I can see where this would be good to drink during the summer but I doubt I will have another.

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

This is a unique beer I had for the first time at the Big Red Beerfest in Bloomington, IN. The smell is very tart. Oddly enough the smell reminds me of a hair salon, but in a good way, if that's possible.

Taste is incredibly tart. Is this a lambic? No, I guess its a berlinerweisse. This is my first exposure to the style, and I'm thrilled with it. The peche (peach) flavor is very well balanced with the tartness. Extreme carbonation. Very enjoyable

The color is a bright yellow, kind of like lemonade, with minimal head.

I highly recommend this beer, especially for newcomers interested in learning about the versatility of beer. Drink very cold.

2.63/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - a hazy, clouded yellow, like diluted lemonade. A watery head that reduces to zero quickly, just like the style notes dictate. Doesn't exactly do much for the appearance, but I guess it's good to know it's on par for the style.

Aroma - a bare trace of grain and vague sweetness. Knowing this is a peach beer helps identify the fruit, but it's not very well defined.

Taste - a hint of funk, this is tart but not mouth puckering. The peach rides on top of the tartness.Like a lemon wine cooler with a peach rider.. A dry, lemon swallow and aftertaste, not very peachy at all. Would you add woodruff or raspberry to this? I want to crack open a can of peaches and pour in some of that heavy syrup.

Mouthfeel - to the thin side; bubbly with a sour residual. Decent fit for the style I suppose.

Drinkability - one of the more drinkable beers for me with any element of funk to it, but not something that I will seek out. This is supposed to be part of a 'fruit basket' line-up for my mom and sis, I'm considering either removing it or finding a peach syrup to put in their baskets as well.

Photo of
3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz. bottle

Hazy, very pale yellow in color. Medium sized, creamy, white head.

Aroma was similar to a witbier initially, then I started smelling the peach. Some spice/pepper in there as well.

Taste was very tart. Chewable vitamin C came to mind. Oranges and peach, with the peach being quite faint. Dry, crackery middle. Pepper at finish.

Light body, almost too light. Medium to high carbonation. Pretty dry, but very refreshing.

An excellent summer beer (80+ degrees here in Baltimore on 10/19/07). Not a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is very subtle and quite well done.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a hazy orange with no head. Somewhat tart nose has aromas of peach, citrus and yeast. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with sharp carbonation. The initial taste has a sour fruitiness to it with a lemony twang. It's very acidic. The middle has a crisp light malty flavor to it. Light peach flavor hits toward the back. The finish is very dry.

Festina Peche is a very crisp and dry weissbier. If you enjoy tart beers, this one's for you. Overall, fairly enjoyable. Not sure it's something I could drink more than one of it a sitting, but it's a nice change of pace beer.

A- Bright, light yellow. Non transparent. Hazy. Bright white 1 finger head that diminishes rapidly leaving nothing behind. No film on the top, nor lace in the glass.

S- Over ripened citrus (lemons, grapefruit, limes)

T- Taste is extremely sour like lemon juice! Very strong citurs, lemon juice, lime, with peach aftertaste that is almost non existant.

M- Highly carbonated. Very fizzy and tingly. Nothing sticky, kind of watery.

D- This is a great and refreshing brew.

2.84/5  rDev -22.2%

Grabbed a four pack of this beer last night by the sheer fact that there was still some around, and I had only had the opportunity to sample it once this past summer. Pours a hazy dull yellow, with a head that quickly fades away in to nothing. Lots of air bubbles rise to the surface of this beer also. Smell is of tart fruits, I was thinking more along the lines of green apples than peaches. Taste starts off very puckering, with the tart fruit (almost lambic like) and then ends on a somewhat dry biscuity note. Mouthfeel is light, yet has a nice bite of carbonation to even things out. Can't say I am all that impressed with this beer. I am sure the fact that I am drinking this beer on a rainy cold night also does not help its case. Either way, an interesting choice for the summer months. Cheers

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

This beer is a hazed pale yellow color with a thin white head that dissapears almost immediately, leaving a rather sad, lemonade-ish drink. Minimal lacing. The aroma is mostly peachy with touches of citrus and musty malt. Lightm fruity body with tart peach and wheat flavors. Very little sweetness which would help a lot here. The finish is fruity and short, leaving a sour fruit aftertaste for a moment. Nothing worth revisiting here.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Abundant carbonation make multiple pours necessary for this beer. Loads of fizzy bubbles make up this pronounced snow white head. The body is a drab lemon meringue hazy hue with active bubble activity.

S: Smells like a peach carbonated water. Some limestone, co2 and fine peach aroma with hints of lemon zest.

T: Starts off tart, somewhat like a lambic at the tip of the tongue. The tartness quickly spreads to the sides and back of the tongue but dies fairly quickly leaving trace lemon juice notes. Peach flavor comes on after the swallow, not robust and round like real peach flavor…just submissive and simple compared to the other tastes going on. As the tartness fades, a grainy/wheat aftertaste takes shape with a dash of honey along for the ride.

M: Hard with a lot of carbo sting.

D: Fairly unique which I appreciate in any beer. It would make a good summertime brew, but I’m not sure how quaffable it is. Too hard across the palate and too sour to drink many of.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is fantastic. Had this at a beerfest early in the night.
Taste like a fresh peach. duh. I dont know where to start. A great berlien weisser. The mouthfeel was very good. It had a tart, full flavor quality. It was so drinkable I asked for seconds and thirds. Its a great brew.

Overall not for everybody. However, if you arent afraid to try something unique give this a shot. If I find some I will get all I can

2.21/5  rDev -39.5%

I tried this beer at the Night of the Funk Belgian Beer Fest. I normally don't write reviews on beers I try at fests, but it was early in the night and I remember the details of trying. There was not a single facet of this beer that even remotely impressed me. Not much smell, taste, or anything really...

3.09/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with tons of fizzy carbonation action and a thin, fizzy two fingers of off-white head. There is some suspended yeast floating around, and the head dissipates pretty quickly leaving very little behind.

Smells like peaches...and I actually kinda like it. Very fruity with a mild malt sweetness to it, a bit of wheat and some yeast for good measure.

Yikes is this tart. The nose didn't really prepare me for the tartness, which is easily the dominant flavor. In between the mouth puckering tartness, there is some peach flavor and a bit of wheat. Mouthfeel is very crisp, light bodied and highly carbonated. Of course that could be because it's October and it's a summer beer, but I'm guessing there was plenty of carbonation going on a few months ago, as well.

This is definitely different. I actually like the peach characteristics, especially the way it smells, but it's too tart for me. I really don't think I could have a second if I tried. Definitely worth a shot, though, if you are looking for something different.

2.08/5  rDev -43%

What’s in a name? Festina Peche sure sounds Belgian to me. Neo-Berliner Weiss, yeah, okay… Sour Peach Ale works better for me. Anyway, on to the review…

Lightly hazy, pale-ghostly yellow-white in hue, I am very surprised at how light in color it is. I thought the addition of peaches would give it some color, must be a completely wrong notion on my part. No head, there were a couple dozen bubbles that clung to the side of the glass. Obviously there was no head retention or lacing. I can’t say the appearance is impressive, hell; I’d call it boring and concerning!

The nose is musty with a weak tart aroma. Peaches, eh? Um, not so much. I can’t really pull individual aromas from the bouquet; there is just an overall impression which is of tart funkiness in an odd, not really good way. I don’t care for the nose. What is it? There is nothing going on, no direction and invitation to drink. This might as well be infected homebrew.

Tart. Vaguely peachy. Musty. Malty. Wheaty. What a mess. Again, I have to ask, what is this? My overall impression is very negative, it is boring to drink approaching downright lousy. I don’t find anything redeeming here. What a bummer… I’d expect a beer like this from a Mr. Beer kit gone haywire not from a World Class brewery. IMO, this is a total dud. With creativity and pushing the envelope comes the eventual flop.

Medium-light in body, zippy carbonation, the mouthfeel is soft of average and sort of pointless as the mouthfeel only aids in the flawed palate.

Not drinkable. Drain pour. A DFH dud. I’m surprised. Thanks anyway RedHaze.

PS: Lord, this review sure sounds like I’m a beer snob asshole. I guess this is why online beer reviewers get a bad rap.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I got this one in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John!

This pours from 12oz bottle...whoa....the beer started spurting out of the bottle as soon as I popped the cap. Needless to say, it has a *huge* head of foam...err..it's still seeping out of the bottle. Dang.

Anywho, it's a cloudy straw colour and it has a lot of lacing.

The smell is definitely of peaches and it has some yeast and a lot of sourish notes are hitting my nose buds.

The taste has peach but that's overwhelmed by some real sourness. I also get a yeast flavour but again, the sour rules this brew. Good think I like sour, eh?

After the second pour, I notice some sediment in my glass but it isn't adversely affecting the flavour so I'm down with that. Pretty refreshing brew. It has a light body and the carbonation is medium. It finishes right where it started..sour. I like it. Thanks, John. It's different but I favour the difference.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle purchased at Brawley's in Charlotte into a pint glass.

A. Clear yellow with a mild head that dissipates quickly with little to no head.

S. The peach is very apparent. Wheat follows.

T. A very tart finish, as is to be expected with a Berliner Weisse. The peach taste is somewhat pleasant.

M. High carbonation with a dry finish. This saves the beers otherwise mild characteristics.

D. Very drinkable in hot weather. A definite chick beer.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

Wow. It definitely has peach in it. While I happened to enjoy this beer on a chilly evening, it would be perfect on a warm day. It's light and crisp and not at all watery. The colour is alarmingly yellow and pale, which made me proceed with caution at first. The smell is fruity but not too sweet, a little ester-y (like overripe fruit). The taste makes up for this: it's obviously got a peach kick to it, but it still tastes like a beer, even if the peach flavor is pretty tart and a bit syrupy. The mouthfeel is average, nothing to complain/rave about. I would recommend this as more of warm-weather drink, but if you come upon this on a cold day- enjoy it anyway.

1.21/5  rDev -66.8%

A: Completely opaque yellow, but no head or lace what-so-ever.

S: Very citrus/fruity kind of smell. Not necessarily peach, but close.

T: Fuck this was horrible. Sorry for the language, but that was the very first sensation I had. It was so citrusy. I tasted like someone squeezed a lemon and peach together.

M: Acidic. Very acidic.

D: I just handed this drink off to a girl who thought it tasted good.

Honestly, if that is your style just go with one of those disgusting zima or smirnoff wine coolers.

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%

I have to admit I was completely unaware of what to expect, and while waiting for it to come I was wondering what Pêche meant. It presented a light golden brown, very cloudy, and smelled very strongly of lemon and orange citrus. The taste was similar to its odor, but the very first thing I noticed was the heavy carbonation. It was enjoyable, but a little fruity for my tastes; it called for a spring day and a back porch, but not the hot wings I was eating.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pale haze, much like a Berliner weissbier

S: A bit rought, almost fecal at first, but that disapated to peachy wheat.

T: Nice light tartness that is followed by slight peach character with a lactic acid kiss than a spritzy finish. Much like a Berliner weiss w/o syrup. Clean tart finish.

D: Extreamly drinkable hot summer day beer. Clean tart finish leaves you wanting more.

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

4 pack purchased poured into pint glass. Im not sure what I expected from this beer but I was pretty let down. A little off the wall for me and Im not one that is against an infused beer.

A: Pale with minimal head that is pretty brief. Lemonade colored with more carbonation that I anticipated.

S: Strong sense of peach and citrus. Aroma of a sweet tart candy.

T: A little bit too tart and didnt taste the same strong peach that was in the smell. On the back end, sensed some sort of nuttiness which I found real bizarre. Especially with the over the top sourness.

M: Extremely carbonated and left a wheat feeling in my mouth.

D: Not drinkable at all to me. Maybe it would have been more appropriate on a warm summer day but this is too tart and sour.

2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours hazy and pale yellow with a smallish head. Aroma is faint wheat with some citrusy tangy aroma. The taste is mostly sour peaches. Perhaps just a touch of hops in the finish. Light wheat base. Sourness is really the dominate aspect. Light bodied and very heavily carbonated. Wouldn't want to drink very much of this. Overall it's just a bit too sour with too little real peach flavor or anything else going on to balance it.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Pours a hazy pale straw with a small foamy head. Spotty lacing.

S: A sweet peach candy aroma with a subtle wheaty smell.

T: Quite tart with a sour peach flavor. Syrupy taste.

M: Light-bodied and very fizzy.

D: Not really my cup of tea ...er... beer, but it seems like it may be on for the style. One of these is drinkable, but I can't imagine drinking any more than that.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery