Festina Pêche | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Reviews: 1,348 | Ratings: 4,271
2.84/5  rDev -22.2%

Grabbed a four pack of this beer last night by the sheer fact that there was still some around, and I had only had the opportunity to sample it once this past summer. Pours a hazy dull yellow, with a head that quickly fades away in to nothing. Lots of air bubbles rise to the surface of this beer also. Smell is of tart fruits, I was thinking more along the lines of green apples than peaches. Taste starts off very puckering, with the tart fruit (almost lambic like) and then ends on a somewhat dry biscuity note. Mouthfeel is light, yet has a nice bite of carbonation to even things out. Can't say I am all that impressed with this beer. I am sure the fact that I am drinking this beer on a rainy cold night also does not help its case. Either way, an interesting choice for the summer months. Cheers

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

This beer is a hazed pale yellow color with a thin white head that dissapears almost immediately, leaving a rather sad, lemonade-ish drink. Minimal lacing. The aroma is mostly peachy with touches of citrus and musty malt. Lightm fruity body with tart peach and wheat flavors. Very little sweetness which would help a lot here. The finish is fruity and short, leaving a sour fruit aftertaste for a moment. Nothing worth revisiting here.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Abundant carbonation make multiple pours necessary for this beer. Loads of fizzy bubbles make up this pronounced snow white head. The body is a drab lemon meringue hazy hue with active bubble activity.

S: Smells like a peach carbonated water. Some limestone, co2 and fine peach aroma with hints of lemon zest.

T: Starts off tart, somewhat like a lambic at the tip of the tongue. The tartness quickly spreads to the sides and back of the tongue but dies fairly quickly leaving trace lemon juice notes. Peach flavor comes on after the swallow, not robust and round like real peach flavor…just submissive and simple compared to the other tastes going on. As the tartness fades, a grainy/wheat aftertaste takes shape with a dash of honey along for the ride.

M: Hard with a lot of carbo sting.

D: Fairly unique which I appreciate in any beer. It would make a good summertime brew, but I’m not sure how quaffable it is. Too hard across the palate and too sour to drink many of.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is fantastic. Had this at a beerfest early in the night.
Taste like a fresh peach. duh. I dont know where to start. A great berlien weisser. The mouthfeel was very good. It had a tart, full flavor quality. It was so drinkable I asked for seconds and thirds. Its a great brew.

Overall not for everybody. However, if you arent afraid to try something unique give this a shot. If I find some I will get all I can

2.21/5  rDev -39.5%

I tried this beer at the Night of the Funk Belgian Beer Fest. I normally don't write reviews on beers I try at fests, but it was early in the night and I remember the details of trying. There was not a single facet of this beer that even remotely impressed me. Not much smell, taste, or anything really...

3.09/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with tons of fizzy carbonation action and a thin, fizzy two fingers of off-white head. There is some suspended yeast floating around, and the head dissipates pretty quickly leaving very little behind.

Smells like peaches...and I actually kinda like it. Very fruity with a mild malt sweetness to it, a bit of wheat and some yeast for good measure.

Yikes is this tart. The nose didn't really prepare me for the tartness, which is easily the dominant flavor. In between the mouth puckering tartness, there is some peach flavor and a bit of wheat. Mouthfeel is very crisp, light bodied and highly carbonated. Of course that could be because it's October and it's a summer beer, but I'm guessing there was plenty of carbonation going on a few months ago, as well.

This is definitely different. I actually like the peach characteristics, especially the way it smells, but it's too tart for me. I really don't think I could have a second if I tried. Definitely worth a shot, though, if you are looking for something different.

2.08/5  rDev -43%

What’s in a name? Festina Peche sure sounds Belgian to me. Neo-Berliner Weiss, yeah, okay… Sour Peach Ale works better for me. Anyway, on to the review…

Lightly hazy, pale-ghostly yellow-white in hue, I am very surprised at how light in color it is. I thought the addition of peaches would give it some color, must be a completely wrong notion on my part. No head, there were a couple dozen bubbles that clung to the side of the glass. Obviously there was no head retention or lacing. I can’t say the appearance is impressive, hell; I’d call it boring and concerning!

The nose is musty with a weak tart aroma. Peaches, eh? Um, not so much. I can’t really pull individual aromas from the bouquet; there is just an overall impression which is of tart funkiness in an odd, not really good way. I don’t care for the nose. What is it? There is nothing going on, no direction and invitation to drink. This might as well be infected homebrew.

Tart. Vaguely peachy. Musty. Malty. Wheaty. What a mess. Again, I have to ask, what is this? My overall impression is very negative, it is boring to drink approaching downright lousy. I don’t find anything redeeming here. What a bummer… I’d expect a beer like this from a Mr. Beer kit gone haywire not from a World Class brewery. IMO, this is a total dud. With creativity and pushing the envelope comes the eventual flop.

Medium-light in body, zippy carbonation, the mouthfeel is soft of average and sort of pointless as the mouthfeel only aids in the flawed palate.

Not drinkable. Drain pour. A DFH dud. I’m surprised. Thanks anyway RedHaze.

PS: Lord, this review sure sounds like I’m a beer snob asshole. I guess this is why online beer reviewers get a bad rap.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I got this one in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John!

This pours from 12oz bottle...whoa....the beer started spurting out of the bottle as soon as I popped the cap. Needless to say, it has a *huge* head of foam...err..it's still seeping out of the bottle. Dang.

Anywho, it's a cloudy straw colour and it has a lot of lacing.

The smell is definitely of peaches and it has some yeast and a lot of sourish notes are hitting my nose buds.

The taste has peach but that's overwhelmed by some real sourness. I also get a yeast flavour but again, the sour rules this brew. Good think I like sour, eh?

After the second pour, I notice some sediment in my glass but it isn't adversely affecting the flavour so I'm down with that. Pretty refreshing brew. It has a light body and the carbonation is medium. It finishes right where it started..sour. I like it. Thanks, John. It's different but I favour the difference.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle purchased at Brawley's in Charlotte into a pint glass.

A. Clear yellow with a mild head that dissipates quickly with little to no head.

S. The peach is very apparent. Wheat follows.

T. A very tart finish, as is to be expected with a Berliner Weisse. The peach taste is somewhat pleasant.

M. High carbonation with a dry finish. This saves the beers otherwise mild characteristics.

D. Very drinkable in hot weather. A definite chick beer.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

Wow. It definitely has peach in it. While I happened to enjoy this beer on a chilly evening, it would be perfect on a warm day. It's light and crisp and not at all watery. The colour is alarmingly yellow and pale, which made me proceed with caution at first. The smell is fruity but not too sweet, a little ester-y (like overripe fruit). The taste makes up for this: it's obviously got a peach kick to it, but it still tastes like a beer, even if the peach flavor is pretty tart and a bit syrupy. The mouthfeel is average, nothing to complain/rave about. I would recommend this as more of warm-weather drink, but if you come upon this on a cold day- enjoy it anyway.

1.21/5  rDev -66.8%

A: Completely opaque yellow, but no head or lace what-so-ever.

S: Very citrus/fruity kind of smell. Not necessarily peach, but close.

T: Fuck this was horrible. Sorry for the language, but that was the very first sensation I had. It was so citrusy. I tasted like someone squeezed a lemon and peach together.

M: Acidic. Very acidic.

D: I just handed this drink off to a girl who thought it tasted good.

Honestly, if that is your style just go with one of those disgusting zima or smirnoff wine coolers.

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%

I have to admit I was completely unaware of what to expect, and while waiting for it to come I was wondering what Pêche meant. It presented a light golden brown, very cloudy, and smelled very strongly of lemon and orange citrus. The taste was similar to its odor, but the very first thing I noticed was the heavy carbonation. It was enjoyable, but a little fruity for my tastes; it called for a spring day and a back porch, but not the hot wings I was eating.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pale haze, much like a Berliner weissbier

S: A bit rought, almost fecal at first, but that disapated to peachy wheat.

T: Nice light tartness that is followed by slight peach character with a lactic acid kiss than a spritzy finish. Much like a Berliner weiss w/o syrup. Clean tart finish.

D: Extreamly drinkable hot summer day beer. Clean tart finish leaves you wanting more.

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

4 pack purchased poured into pint glass. Im not sure what I expected from this beer but I was pretty let down. A little off the wall for me and Im not one that is against an infused beer.

A: Pale with minimal head that is pretty brief. Lemonade colored with more carbonation that I anticipated.

S: Strong sense of peach and citrus. Aroma of a sweet tart candy.

T: A little bit too tart and didnt taste the same strong peach that was in the smell. On the back end, sensed some sort of nuttiness which I found real bizarre. Especially with the over the top sourness.

M: Extremely carbonated and left a wheat feeling in my mouth.

D: Not drinkable at all to me. Maybe it would have been more appropriate on a warm summer day but this is too tart and sour.

2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours hazy and pale yellow with a smallish head. Aroma is faint wheat with some citrusy tangy aroma. The taste is mostly sour peaches. Perhaps just a touch of hops in the finish. Light wheat base. Sourness is really the dominate aspect. Light bodied and very heavily carbonated. Wouldn't want to drink very much of this. Overall it's just a bit too sour with too little real peach flavor or anything else going on to balance it.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Pours a hazy pale straw with a small foamy head. Spotty lacing.

S: A sweet peach candy aroma with a subtle wheaty smell.

T: Quite tart with a sour peach flavor. Syrupy taste.

M: Light-bodied and very fizzy.

D: Not really my cup of tea ...er... beer, but it seems like it may be on for the style. One of these is drinkable, but I can't imagine drinking any more than that.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Service Temperature, 35 degrees F. Service Glass, Tulip Glass 12 ounces.

Appearance can be described as dark gold (like belgian candy sugar) and without clarity. The head that is created is slightly off white but dissapates relatively quickly, leaving behind no lace at all.
To smell this is to recall apricots, peach, some sourness, along with floral like hops, and a minor dryness.
As I swirl it around in my mouth I detect the medium sourness, along with some toffee and sweetness, along the center of my tounge, Slight cloying but overall mouthfeel is medium in weight.

I definitely would pick up more of this should they make it an annual seasonal brew. Chips & Salsa anyone, maybe some pitas with some cheese?

Cheers

4.6/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow color, with a thin white head. The head fades fast, leaving minimal lacing, but a thin layer of head.

This beer has a grainy aroma. Behind that, I smell a subtle peach aroma. It has a slight spicy hop aroma. It also smells slightly tart.

This beer tastes much like it smells. It has a tart, slightly sour flavor. The peach flavor is sublte, but good. It has a grainy flavor also.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth, leaving a tart peach aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great. The tart flavor might become overbearing after a while, but I still think it would be easy to put back a few.

Overall: Thanks go out to Himerman for hooking me up. This beer is great.

3.99/5  rDev +9.3%

poured into the glass with a small incredibly fizzy head that disappeared very quickly Festina Peche is a hazy straw yellow.

Nose has notes of white wine, cut grass and of course peach

The peach on the tongue is tart which is a welcome surprise, strong lemon taste present as well

Thin bodied and highly carbonated with a dry finish this is the perfect drink for a hot summer day, very thirst quenching. And I definately appreciated the low ABV, a great beer to have with lunch

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to Iceman4 for this brew.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color, awesome carbonation, the head was HUGE took me a few minutes to pour, some sticky lacing follows. The nose is yeasty, malty, spicy, and sour/tangy. The taste is sour/tangy for a Weissbier, but that's DFH for ya, LOL, yeasty, slightly spicy. The finish is slightly dry. Medium body. Drinkable, not a bad brew, but would not seek out again.

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

Departing the 12 ounce brown bottle it appears nontranslucent pale yellow with a creamy white head that evaporates slowly and the lace forms an even coating on the glass. Nose has a pleasant fruity aroma, with hints of malt and a little yeast, quite appealing. Start has a light to moderate malt presence, with the top light to medium in feel, sweet at the front, with a pleasant bit of tanginess. Finish is moderately acidic, a touch of hops noticeable, sweet to the end with a dry and lingering aftertaste, a pleasant change from my over the top hop and alcohol laden beers.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a cloudy ultra light straw color with a shallow foamy white head that fades quickly leaving little lacing. The first wave of the smell is "OK this is a wheat beer" followed immediately by the significant "...wow! this is going to be sour". Light bodied, the mouth feel is refreshing, sour and moderately carbonated. Big taste, the sour lemon flavor is quite intense. Low ABV, this ain't exactly one to throw on a hefty summer time post many hours in the yard thirst. It's a sipper.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

The beer pours a cloudy pale yellow-y amber with very little head. There is ample carbonation. The smell is faint, but smells of tartness, but not a bad tartness. Almost a tart peach (go figure) lemon scent to it.

The taste is different. It starts out nicely malted, but when it's mostly down, it had a nice tart bite towards the back of the mouth. It tastes lemony, but that's probably just the tartness. There's a hint of peaches and other fruity flavors. This is definitely a different kind of beer, but still good. You can't taste any alcohol, though at 4.5%, you shouldn't. It's very refreshing, great for a hot summer afternoon. It goes down easy, not too much carbonation, not heavy... it's just right. Unless you hate tart fruit flavors, this is a very drinkable beer.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

It pours an especially hazy and somewhat floatie lemonade yellow. A finger of bright white head dips soon to a dwindling froth veil. Mayflies of lacing are there and gone.

The aroma has a wheaty tang that nudges a mild yeasty sourness. More prominent is an almost floral fragrance of fresh, juicy peach, despite knowing that it's extract.

Upon tasting, dusky, earthily sweet wheat is complimented by a palate-puckering but manageable vinegar sourness that seems to wipe the slate clean. That opens the door to fresh-picked, toothy peach juiciness, again surprising considering the source. A very slight bitterness and a very crisp, refreshingly dry finish linger pleasantly. It's fun, different, and tasty.

Light bodied, the clean wheat and tongue-curling, cheek-sucking sour character provide some food for thought.

It's not stunning or amazing, but the coy crafting and complimentary components are quite crisp and considerably refreshing. It's about as drinkable as Gatorade on a hot, sweaty day, minus the electrolytes of course, but with a fetching little buzz for the effort. In short, it makes for a rather unique and worthwhile session beer.

3.99/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance - Pours a light cloudy blonde with a small fizzy white head that sputters out of existence in a few quick seconds. I thought Berliner Weiss was made mostly with wheat, and that would aid in retention.

Smell - Plenty of wheat in the smell. Apricots, bannannas, light peach, and just a touch of floral hops.

Taste - Quite tart without being sour. A small amout of acid comes across but without the characteristic brett spicy/funkiness. A nice balance of wheat and peach as the beer warms. Hops? Can't taste a one.

Mouthfeel - A prickly explosion of carbonation slices across the tongue. A little thin, but that is to be expected stylisticly.

Drinkability - A smooth easy drinker that would do wonders in the summer. Definetly unique and worth a try.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery