Festina Pêche | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Reviews: 1,349 | Ratings: 4,277
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

A- poured out of a 12 oz bottle, big foamy whitish head that faded quickly foggy light yellow

S- sourness from the lactobaccilus is pretty strong, big fan of it, not much peach present, some wheat provides the balance to the sourness

T- as the scents guessed, its a nice smooth wheat flavor that has the sourness throughout that provides a nice citrusy tartness, only little whisps of the actual peach flavor, which is fine

M- light and springy with a pretty strong carbonation even after a solid pour

D- pretty solid, a great summer beer for quenching that sour beer need without going to the really sour lambics and geueze's very enjoyed

2.69/5  rDev -26.3%

Very pale, golden color. Head vanished quickly. All very indicative of the style, but to me it looks unsatisfying.

The aroma is very raw, like bad fruit.

The taste is very tart with citric flavors, light peach. Very small hints of grain, or wheat.

Very watery, and a stinging citrus feel in the back of the throat. Interesting, but not exactly pleasant.

The acidity reminds me of a cider, and I am not a fan of ciders. Maybe this brew is a very good example of a Berliner Weissbier, but I do not like this style.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Served on draft in a tall cervoise at the Beer Stein in Eugene, OR, Festina Pêche is a cloudly whitish yellow with a thin white collar.

The aroma is on the lighter side, spirtzy with a wheat sourness and lactic tang. No noticeable peach that I could find, which was fine by me!

The taste has a very nice tartness, dry and musty with a clean, crisp finish. I really loved this beer, just enough tang to satisfy my love of sour beers, but restrained enough that I could drink these all day. There is at least a hint of citrus that I assume is the peach, but I probably wouldn't have called it had it not been in the name. I don't like fruity beers though, so I appreciated the restraint. Now I'm going to have to seek out some real Berliner Weissbier to compare.

Mouthfeel was light bodied and smooth.

This was very yummy and went down in a hurry. In fact, I had to pop back in on my way home the next day just to have one more. I'm going to try to pick up a case of these for my next bbq, even if the tartness turns off lots of people, I for one will be sucking them down like they're going out of style. And with the low ABV, should be able maintain no problem.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

A- Pours a cloudy light straw with a small, fizzy head.

S- Faint tart peach aroma but not much else. Smells a little like Magic Hat #9.

T- Starts out very tart with a subtle peach flavor and ends on a big wheaty note. The yeast manifests itself with a chalky character. No perceptible sweetness or bitterness. Interesting, but could use more peach flavor.

M- Thin and fizzy, although I suppose it fits in with the beer's overall character.

D- Not particularly drinkable for a 4.5% alcohol beer. One 12 oz bottle is all I want.

It was interesting to try, but I won't get it again. It needs more peach flavor, for one, and for another... well, I don't really know. I'm not familiar with the Berliner Weiss style, so I can't comment on how authentic it is. I'd recommended giving it a try. I'd also recommend drinking it pretty cold, as I believe that might enhance its drinkability somewhat.

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked up a growler from Superstar a while back. Thought it was interesting and worth sharing with my Brother and Father.
Poured from growler into pint glasses. Light yellow with fizzy and quick dissipating head.
Aroma is of wheat and peaches. Taste is tart and peachy. Very interesting.
Mouthfeel is light with a good amount of carbonation.
I found it quite enjoyable on a hot summer day. Sort of refreshing and a nice alternative to other typical refreshing summer beers. If you don't mind the interesting taste of the beer (my father didn't like it) a very drinkable beer at 4.5%
I can't fault it for deviating from the style since this is the only one of this style that I have seen available. Just an interesting and refreshing fruit beer.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

I fell in love with this beer the first time I had it on tap. Nothing beat it after a day of golfing. So I picked up a case and have loved each one since.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a shaker pint a very nice pale, almost neon, yellow. The head, however, starts small and shrinks to non-existent. I love the color but the head leaves a lot to be desired.

SMELL: The aroma strikes me initially as tart and sour. I may be in the minority but I can't get any peach or any other fruit aromas out of it. Sweet wheat is present, but not too strong.

TASTE: What the smell lacked, the taste has. It's initially very tart but strikes a bit of a balance with the sweetness of wheat. Fruit flavors are more apparent, but I get more citrus than peach. The finish is deliciously clean, leaving you begging for another sip.

MOUTHFEEL: Light bodied with a very sharp carbonation. Great for a summer refreshment, even if the carbonation level tends to the high side.

DRINKABILITY: Woo! I love that Dogfish Head decided to make a beer under 5%. Wonderfully sessionable and absolutely hits the spot on a hot summer day.

Okay, I'll grant that Festina Peche lacks a bit on technical merit and isn't exactly the epitome of a Berliner Weisse, but on it's own, it's just a tasty beer and I hope to see it again next summer.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Seriously cloudy and bright, banana yellow. No head at all. Looks like yellow fruit juice. Doesn't look like beer, really.

Has a fruit aroma with wheat, but hard to smell the peach. Smells like a mild hef, actually. The aroma is hard to detect. Some tree fruit smell, but can't identify which.

As for taste: wow. Huge sour, sweet-tart peach blast. Some malt underneath. Second swallow just as tart. Really really tart. Unique. A tremendously tart and sour summer brew. Peach is an accent to the sourness. Straight lemon juice. Almost a malt beverage (eg. Smirnoff Ice).

Very bubbly and so, SO puckery sour. Dances in the mouth. If you can stand the serious sourness, it's a great get. Really sour and tart.

(another view) http://jbojangles.blogspot.com/2007/07/beer-o-moment-dogfish-head-festina-pche.html

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a pale yellow into my Imperial Pint. Head gets up for a second and winds back down to barely anything. Aroma is citric with a hint of hops. peach is very light on the aroma and with it wafts some mild sourness.

Taste is lightly tangy peachy citrus, with hints of all racing about in no uncertain order. a few sips in and the taste seems to fall a bit more into order with a crisp and citrusy hit on the tongue, carbonation livening up the mouth and then a pleasant sourness rounding out my mouth.

This one is a nice drinker with a pleasant scrub of carbonation throughout. I drank a few of the se yesterday and will do some more tonight me thinks.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Pours a very pale gold color with very thick white head that leaves considerable lacing in the tall glass. The nose is of light wheat malts, some florals notes and a decided tartness. I don't detect much here that would identify this beer as having peach flavor if I didn't already know. The palate is quite light, refreshing and lively. Wheat malt, yeast and considerable sourness. This beer finishes very dry...and very tart. Light body and tartness make this beer quite refreshing and super easy to drink. A potential summer classic?

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a hazy pale yellow with a quarter inch head that fades rather quickly. There's really no foam left, not even a ring, and due to this there's absolutely no lacing.

Smell; very musty, with some sour overtones. The peaches are a bit hard to detect at first, but as this warms they come out nicely.

Taste; as with the smell this has a mustiness, mix with a sour/tartness. A bit of a sweetness comes out in the middle along with the peaches, and then fades back to sour in the finish. I wasn't to sure I liked this on the first few sips, but it definitely grew on me by the time I was finished with my glass.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a bit of a bite from the tartness, and the drinkability is good, with the low abv only helping in that area.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured a hazy straw color and formed a small foamy white head that left trace lace as it subsided. A medium amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of wheat malt and peach. The flavor is of peach and wheat with a lot of tartness to it. The finish is very tart, the body fairly light with some spritz quality to it. A good session beer.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

This is a very refreshing beer and very drinkable. It pours a very cloudy pale yellow with not much head, decent carbonation, no lacing or head retention to speak of. The smell is citrus, tangy, lemon, peach. The taste is clearly peach, but it is subdued, and there are plenty of other things going on in this beer to make it interesting. You have a very tangy citrus, orange, almost spritzer taste, with peach on the top. The mouthfeel is all fizz, and summer ade. This is a very nice, light, refreshing summer beer if there was one. It is light bodied, although not watery, and has little aftertaste once the fizz in the mouth wears away. I like it. L'Chaim.

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

Bottled on 06/01/2007. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale and cloudy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a little faint with some malt and peach flavors. The flavor is very tart with bitter citrus flavors and not much in terms of peach. The mouthfeel is puckering because of the tart flavors. Overall, I am not much of a fan of this brew at all. I find the taste to be offensive and overly sour for what it is. I like sour beers (lambics and flanders red) but this one does not do anything for me.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

poors a hazy straw color with a finger and 1/2 of head that dosent stick around very long. The smell is an odd colection of straw and a bit of fruit. The taste Is allot like the smell at first, but goes into a good peache flavor, which is very tart. This is deffinatly an interesting brew, one sip i love it, next sip im not so sure. Overall a refreshing beer, and a good depature from the average summer seasonal

3.46/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale yellow with a medium, white head that vanished in the time it took me to shoo the roommate's cat out of the room. Way to go, Daphne the Cat!

Smell: Faint, slightly musty aroma of damp hay and Del Monte canned peaches with an underlying tartness.

Taste: Moderately tart flavors of wheat and peach juice. Slight saltiness along with a mild citrus taste on the crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light-bodied. Light carbonation.

Drinkability: A peach of a thirst quencher!

3.32/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a shaker. This beer poured a super cloudy golden color with a very fizzy white head that slowly faded away. The aroma was grass, lemon, white grapes, and some bready wheat notes. The flavor was made up of white wine, lemon, and some light peach flavors. The mouthfeel was light and crisp with solid carbonation. This would make for an excellent summer drink on a hot afternoon. Light and refreshing. Overall, I found this to be another interesting experiment from Dogfish Head. I’m not sure that I would go out of my way to find this beer again, but it was nice to get to try it.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a cloudy Yellow color with a white frothy head.

Smell is of citrus and wheat.

The taste is of bitter citrus with the wheat flavor coming in on the finish. Not really tasting the peach in this one.

Carbonation is done well and is balanced.

This is a very refreshing brew and is perfect for a hot summer day. There is not much of an actual peach flavor, but I love the sour citrus flavor it has. I would get this again in a second, another great brew by Dogfish Head.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance - Poured into my Sam Adams glass from a 12 oz bottle. Poured a hazy straw yellow color with a lively fine carbonation supporting a thin head that remained after the pour.

Smell - Grainy, wheat scent with a bit of a tart/sour nose as well. There was a faint bit of a peach presence but this is not a peche lambic.

Taste - Tart biting initial presentation with a quick resolve to a light wheat beer feel. The strong citrus flavor throughout with the peach presence sweeting up the sour.

Mouthfeel - Thin but lively on the tongue with a robust carbonation that assists in providing a lasting impression. Very much, as described elsewhere, a thirst-quencher.

Drinkability - This is my first in the Berliner Weissbier style. This came based upon my positive experiences with Dogfish Head products in general and the affinity I have to lambics and Flanders Red beers. Overall, this was a great experience and one that I would revisit.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

A - Hazy, pasty gold brew with a two finger head that settles to a collar and haze. A decent amount of fluffy lace is left on the glass.

S - Grainy, macro-lagery funk. I don't really smell peach at all. Wheaty twangy aromas are nothing special.

T - Super-lactic lactic acid flavors are like a very subdued lambic or gueuze. Reminds me of banana-orange juice. Lots of yeasty flavors and wheat twang too. It's a little odd and off-kilter. Something about it just doesn't work for me.

M - Sharp acidic bite with some tingly carbonation ends with a yeasty gluey layer coating my mouth. Finishes really clean after that gluey feeling goes away. Very quenching, very unique.

D - Extremely thirst quenching and summery. A unique brew that is somewhere between a really mild lambic and a twangy American wheat beer.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

I was excited to try this. I've recently found that I love sour beers.

I was hoping for something similar to Jolly Pumpkin's Calabaza Blanc but with peaches. Sadly what I got tasted more like sour apple juice with a touch of peaches.

It's a good beer, just not what I had hoped it would be. It's not overpoweringly sour, but there's not a whole lot going on besides that. The finish is dry as hoped, but it just reminds me of apple juice.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a cloudy, almost neon yellow color. no head remains for more than a few seconds. Smell is a strong peach (big surprise right?), maybe a little grape. Taste is very tart, and heavy fruity. Limited carbonation on this one. However, it kind of reminds me of drinking a very bad bottle of champagne.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a simple 12oz bottle into the narrowest chalice I could find. Botte was dated in early June '07. Colour is very light, white-gold and is very protein hazy, though very evenly so. No chunks or floaters. Chamgagne-like fine and fast-falling carbonation typical of wits.

Smell is much more weizen than peach or fruit. Light wheat and yeast with undertones of a more traditional malt. Strong bitters that are almost herbal - if I didn't know that was peach in there, I might have guessed cilantro. Once you think about peach, it becomes almost floral.

Taste is very, very sour, a little sweet, and very lightly flavoured of peaches. Suspicions of orange peel and a dash of spice on the tip of the tongue. The yeast itself is somehow woody, maybe a little ashy. Nice effect of the front of the taste being blown away by the sour, probably.

Body isn't the first thing you notice, but once the distraction of the sour wears off, you realize this brew is very smooth, neither tacky nor sticky, nor drying. Carbonation can be swirled up, and compliments the feel of the sour in your cheeks quite well.

All in all, a crazy departure from the normal DFH offerings and dang fine weissen. Not as overdone as some of their other sour/fruit offerings, and more true to one of the old world beer styles.

4.52/5  rDev +23.8%

Cloudy pale straw color, reminded me of lemonade in appearance, with a small white foamy head to it.
Aroma is mainly of wheat, with some peachy overtones.
Surprisingly, the peach flavor doesn't overpower here. Instead, it's a more passive participant, allowing a good bit of tartness (which I suppose could be classified as peachy, but seemed more like lemon or grapefruit, or even green apples) to come through. After the sourness fades, there's a small bit of peachy sweetness lingering on the palate as well.
Thanks to the low ABV, I could definitely put away a few of these on a hot summer day like today.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Found a four pak of these at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio. Yeah! Pours into a goblet a hazed pale yellow with a small white head that quickly vanishes without lacing. Aroma of fresh cut lemons and a basket of South Carolina peaches fifteen feet downwind. Light body with spritzy carbonation. Taste is citrusy sour in a fresh lemon sort of way. Faint wheat notes and some subtle peach pulp. Really nice on a hot summer day. Tempted to bring out the marmelade for this one. Nice rendition by DFH of this interesting style.

1.6/5  rDev -56.2%

I am hesitant to review this beer, especially as its my first review here, because I had such a bad experience with the beer that I must have had a bad batch.

Beer was served on tap at the Brickstore.

I will start with the good news. The appearance of the beer was a fantastic straw wheat golden color that looked like the essence of sumer. With a warm, humid, southern evening being the setting, just looking at the beer quenched my thirst.

The mouthfeel was perfect for a summer beer. Smooth, soft and cascaded down my throat.

The aroma was awful. Peach was nowhere to be found. What I could detect was a sort of peaty, rotten aroma typical of a Single Malt. With the carbonation, the smell became repulsive.

Flavor was equally bad. I could tell that there was a good base beer here and would drink that without the peach extract. Good spicy floral wheat beer characteristics that make a fantastic summer beer. But, the peach did not taste like peach and indeed, me, my dining partner, and waitress all commented that it tasted more like, well, certain bodily functions.

Reading other reviews, I am convinced that this had to be a bad keg. Reinforcing my belief is that my waitress told me that she has yet to find a customer who enjoyed the beer.

So, I would suggest that readers take this with a grain of salt.

Also, I am interested if anyone had a similar experience.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery