Festina Pêche | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Ratings: 4,384 |  Reviews: 1,371
3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

A- golden yellow color with a thin head

S- smells like a Belgian witbier with the ester smell

T- sour hits your tongue with hints of peaches. Low to no hops

M- highly carbonated and light on the mouth.

O- I enjoyed this beer. It was the first sour I have ever had and thought it was a good summer session beer. Very light and easy drinking.

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

A: very light, lemon colored clear beer with a small amount of head. Light lacing that disappears very quickly. Unique appearance of beer; not a color you see often.

S: The smell is not very appealing to me. By just smell alone, it wouldn't be a beer I would be interested in smelling. It reminds me of college...

T: Very unique beer. It is definitely something i've never had before. I taste a lot of lemon, mango, and peaches. Has a nice sour taste mid drink and follows with a mellow finish. Being that this was my first taste of a sour beer, I am quite pleased. It is something you need to get used to but is a surpisingly delicious beer!

M: cold, light, crisp, and sour. Leaves a great taste lingering on your lips. Medium carbonation.

O: Overall, this is a beer that makes you scratch your head. Not pleased with the smell, okay appearance but with a unique, interesting sour lemon/mango taste, it is sure to please!

4.5/5  rDev +23%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Lindeman's glass.

Pours a very light yellow color with a thick head that lingers. High levels of carbonation.

Tangy and sour with hints of sour peaches mixed in somewhere.

Upon tasting, the sour, bitter notes dominate. The wheaty malt is felt in the nose. Whats really nice is that the sour peach flavor doesnt overpower anything. It's there (in extreme moderation mind you), but it cuts what would be an awful aftertaste from strictly wheat malt. The sourness stays with you through the end.

Aftertaste is all sour and slightly fruity. This is where the fruit comes out to play. If you can make it through the initial assault, you'll experience what this beer is really all about.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

One of the first DFH beers I wasn't overly impressed with. It tasted like someone poured canned peach juice into an effervescent wit bier. I've had previous iterations of this beer, and this seasons was just...off. Tasted more like a wine cooler than it did a beer. Surprisingly, two cases of this flew out of the fridge at my BBQ yesterday. I'm thinking everyone else enjoyed it far more.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle, served in SN Snifter.
Bottled in 2011 printed on bottle.

A: straw yellow, slight golden tinge, with a finger of off white eggshell head. very cloudy, looks highly carbonated. the carbonation clings to the sides of the glass. very slight lacing on the sides.

S: peach, citrus, and some prominent wheat flavor. very bready smelling. Definitely fruity and sweet. No alcohol or hops present.

T: Sour, very sour at virst, with a very distinct wheat/bready and peach juice aftertaste. The peach is in no way overpowering, and very nice. the overall aftertaste after the peach fades, is wheat and bready.

M: very light bodied the carbonation in in full force in this one. Shows really nicely, and clears the palate well, leaving only a mild aftertaste

O: all in all I think this is a good beer, the body and the sourness of it balance nicely, as they battle back and forth in your mouth. Dogfish head has done it again

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a orange amber with carbonation bubbles rising to the top and very little head. You can immediately detect the peach concentrate in the nose. Taste is sweet up front and tart in the finish. The sweetness from the peach compliments the tartness of this beer nicely. Crisp and well carbonated. I find this to be a nice change of pace for summer brews, but the tartness keeps me from having too many.

1.75/5  rDev -52.2%

Pours a thin pale yellow, clouded slightly with a one finger head and some slight lacing.

Aromas consist of light weak peach with no projection, some very faint breads?

Tart, bland and incredibly synthetic in the mouth. Dries down very quickly with only a lingering chemical taste at the end. Effervescence is okay, but does nothing to redeem it.

In the best way possible, I cannot begin to see how the brothers gave this an A-. This is not really a DFH, in my opinion. It tastes really like nothing of their other carefully crafted, flavorful offerings. In a blind taste, I would have considered this to be a shitty Inbev attempt to capitalize off of something like Abita's Purple Haze. Intensely disappointing and a drainpour.

Before now, I think I placed absolute trust in anything that was made by Dogfish Head - thus, I picked it up on blind faith alone. Going to try really hard to forget this beer.

3.86/5  rDev +5.5%

Tasted July 12th 2011 (from notes)

Poured into a la Chouffe tulip

A - golden almost white straw, one finger white head and no lacing

S - yeast, smells like a wine cooler, slight hops, very sour, great peach and lots of fruity flowers

T - peach, slight sour, lots of yeast, very light hops and more peach

M - light, fluffy, carbonated, medium acidity, slight body, a bit balanced and medium finish

D - this is the best fruit juice I have ever had! I would drink this juice and only this juice forever if this juice was cheap

Final thought - fun to try a bottle but 4? Only of my kids wanted peach juice. But still, lots of flavor and fun to drink. Need to try this guy on tap

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

This beer is semi-cloudy and pale gold in color. Not much of a head formed in the glass (unless I did a bit of swirling). The nose was slightly floral (like fresh linen) with a bit of chewing gum (juicy fruit?).

Boy was this beer tart. Very sour with a champagne-like dryness (very reminiscent of Duvel). Did I detect tannins? It was fairly mouth-drying. I'm not sure I tasted peaches at all. It had a very light body and finish without any hop bite whatsoever. Refreshing? Yes. Tasty? I didn't really enjoy it, but perhaps this type of beer is an acquired taste (by the way, I am willing to work a little to acquire that taste).

Let me state right off the bat that I did not like this beer and that it may have been the first Berliner Weissbier I've ever had. After reading the description of the style on this site, I was not at all surprised to find that it almost perfectly described this particular beer. I have to give it reasonably high marks because, based on the description, it seemed like a very good representative of this style. I may revise this review once I've had a chance to try a few others.

1.85/5  rDev -49.5%

As a Dogfish Head lover, I couldn't wait to try this beer which is featured in so many magazines and newspapers as the "perfect summer brew." Wow, was I disappointed.

If you're like me, and enjoy a heartier beer like an IPA, stout, or even lager or typical ale, this is on the other end of the spectrum. If I didn't know it was from Dogfish, I would have guessed AB brews it and it was some new, Bud Light flavored beer.

Pours very light hazy color.
Aroma isn't bad. Some fruit and sours.
But the taste was awful. Totally sour, very off putting.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

I had this beer many times. The first time I drank it, it was much more sour. Really sour without being overboard. But ever since then(about 2 and a half years ago) it's been much more neutral.

Pours a hazy medium yellow with only a small whispy head.

Nose is slightly grainy and a little bit of fruit, but more of a faint tartness.

Taste is so good on a hot summer day. It was like 90 degrees outside when I ordered this at a restaurant and I ordered a water on the side but it turns out I did'nt really need it. So quenching and fulfilling. Hardly any alcohol taste in it. Very light, but not really watery. Mostly pale grains and lots of tart fruitiness.

I think I like this beer more every time I try it.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a light hazy golden color from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV and freshness date on the label.
One finger head that dissipated fairly quickly.
Aroma is predominantly of peach with hints of other sweet fruity esters coming through.
Taste is sour with the peach tartness coming through strongly.
Good for a hot summer day, but I can already tell that the tartness is going to be a big factor in determining the drinkability of this beer with respect to my palate.
Different beer from Dogfish Head, definitely worth a try.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

Eh, I am usually one who loves me some DFH, and tried it at a beer festival, after pouring it for countless others, and working with the DFH rep all day, and all I say is....eh.

It looked like any lighter body weiss, which is ok, nothing to write home about. The smell was interesting, I was expecting to smell the peaches, however I got a hint of something not usually in a brew, not a bad thing, just not expected. The taste....hmmm....well sour is the best describer. Again, I was expecting some peach overtones, or a peach finish, none of which I got. I got the distinct taste of fermented fruit, the sourness of a formerly sweet ingredient, but it could have been anything.

It was a good summer beer, if not at least refreshing, but I can't let the peach thing go!

2.33/5  rDev -36.3%

I had this at Barcade in Brooklyn during the goodbeer seal event. I was really looking forward to trying this beer as I had heard some good things about sours this year. I have to say I was disappointed with it...
A-Light hazy color, the bar was a bit dark and it was a few weeks ago.
S-Nice Aroma you could definitely smell a little bit of peach and that you were about to drink a sour.
T-Tart and a bit boring with zero hop character. I was expecting to taste something very peachy but the beer just tasted like it had alot of added sugar. It was not enjoyable to drink an entire pint of this. I would much rather drink a cider than this sour.
M-Light and watery.
O-I'll have to revisit this beer after I introduce my palate to a few more sour beers. Overall the beer was what they promised but I'm still not convinced they should put Peach in the name.

3.21/5  rDev -12.3%

Very pretty colour, light golden and a bit foggy. Smells... like not much, oddly enough. Taste is VERY tart. Where are the peaches? This is not very peachy. Smooth feel but overall too tart and almost astringent, drying. Maybe too sour to be refreshing or to detect the peach.

There's a bottle of Lindeman's Peche Lambic in the fridge and I'm looking forward to it. I haven't got my peach fix from the Festina.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Beer pours a very slightly hazy yellow with a vigorous head that disappears quickly. Yeasty, wheat laced aroma in the front, followed by ripe peach. Flavor starts with the maltiness of the wheat followed by a pervasive peach nectar flavor. Very tart, but very refreshing, the tartness is not overpowering in any way. I really like this beer and it is nice to get a summer seasonal that is a little different. Your don't see a ton of berliner weissbiers around and that's too bad, this beer is really refreshing on a warm day.

Always good to have this one on hand in the summer! Bottled in 2011. Enjoyed on 07/15/11.

A - A very vigorous pour into a snifter yields a one finger white head that dissipates before you can put the bottle down. It's a very pale, hazy straw yellow color with absolutely nothing on top after the head goes away and leaves no lacing. Even for a berliner weiss, this should have some kind of head on top of it.

S - Tart peaches, pale malts, hay, grass, some citrus as well. I find most berliners to be quite bland but this is exciting.

T - Follows the nose. Classic berliner weiss: very pale malts, grassy, some light floral hops, with just the added extra kick of tartness from the peaches. The peach gives it something that other berliner's lack, which makes it interesting.

M - Mouthfeel is quite good. A little creamier than your normal for the style, which is to be expected from DFH.

O - Overall, this is one of my favorite summer seasonals. Dogfish rarely fails to please.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap in a white wine glass at Horse & Hound (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Peach-light orange with short cap of off-white, creamy head with a very waves of lacing.

S: Strong peach and apricot aromas with light herbal hopping. Pale maltiness backs it all.

T: Very fruity peach with light grassy, herbal hopping. The pale maltiness lends some sweetness and a bit of cracker character, but not much else.

M: THin but dry with light body and medium-plus carbonation.

O: A decent fruit beer but not too much else speaks for it. Not a real big step up from Magic Hat #9, and that's not saying much.

3.61/5  rDev -1.4%

The bottle describes this as a neo-berliner weiss, so that explains the higher abv and such (no need to rate it exactly to style in my opinion). Poured into a chalice. The color is very light straw and slightly hazy. The head isn't large and only forms a rim around the glass.

The aroma is enjoyably full of slightly sweet peach and fruit. The wheat is also evident here. This seems inviting.

The taste starts out with a nice lemon-like tartness. There is a mildly sweet peachy-wheat malt finish that leaves a slightly tart aftertaste in the mouth. The balance this strikes should appeal to most types of drinkers.

The body is light and this is very drinkable. The carbonation seems mild.

Not bad. I like this a little more than I think I did last year, though maybe less than 2 years ago; but memories can be hazy.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

Not the most impressive looking beer in the world: bubbly, yellow, not much head, even less retention...smells like concentrated peach and not much else but hints of wheat...but damn that tartness just makes this beer surprising and super enjoyable. Too much wheat in a beer can sometimes hinder drinkability for me, and this beer does a great job of maintaining a wheat flavor but not letting it take over. The tart fruit is the star of the show here. Refreshing, crisp, and enjoyable - a great summer brew. Thanks DFH.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into my Unibroue tulip.
It starts with a decent 1 inch head that settles in about a minute. The beer itself is well carbonated as the bubbles forming on the bottom of the glass indicate.It appears a light golden almost translucent.

It smells of peaches and tartness. On the first sip the acidic tartness hits you right upfront sort of like seltzer water and that quickly fades to a light peach aftertaste. I find it extremely refreshing in warm weather.

Overall a delicious Berliner Weiss bier from Dogfish Head, it packs a lot of taste into a dangerously drinkable 4.5% beer.

3.12/5  rDev -14.8%

I'm not sure how excited I am for this one, but it's DFH and the selection where I am is limited. So I had to have one.

It pours a murky straw yellow. The fizzy white head was up and down pretty quick, but the residual ring was acceptable.

The nose has warm wheat tones with definite frozen/puree peach flavors. The overall character is very bright and not too sour. As it warms the yeast and floral notes begin to surface.

Ah, there's the sour I was anticipating. True to the style yes, but not necessarily my most favorite attribute. The back of my tongue pinches as I struggle to extract the flavors. It's definitely not a sweet peach character, but some softer coriander and yeast tones help to neutralize the bitter bombardment.

It's on the fizzy side, but crisp throughout. The body is light but not watery. The finish is a bit dry, and paired with the bitterness is pretty easy to drink to quench the mouth feel.

I don't know much better with style like this, but this seems to be status quo from what I gather.

3.29/5  rDev -10.1%

A- 3 Very light blonde color reminiscent of a cider, with a minimal white head which dissipates to practically nothing quickly. It has fairly smooth and slippery lacing that doesn't stick to the glass.

S- 4 The aroma of this is more like white grapes to me, similar to a wine, but the peach is definitely there in the background. It is a little sweet and a little sour. It smells as if it will be refreshing...

T- 3 It is hard for me to get past the tartness of this brew. It is rather sour overall and that masks its other flavors. I really have to search for the peach as the white grapes that also show up here comprise most of its fruit presence. I suppose there's a bit of peach there, but not as much as I'd expect.

M- 3.5 This is medium-light (bordering light) in body. It is a little high in carbonation. Once the tartness subsides, it is a shade watery.

D- 3 I had much higher hopes for this brew, as I'd previously enjoyed Aprihop and some other DFH seasonals. I suppose I wouldn't have found out without trying it, but I won't buy it again. It may be more appealing to those that like wine or other fruit beers, and could be nice and refreshing for others, but it wasn't my cup of brew.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottled in 2011.

Appearance: Hazy yellow-orange with little to no head that disappears quickly. Quiet carbonation.

Smell: Musky wheat aroma. Not bad, not good either.

Taste: The initial taste is of fruit and is very refreshing. The aftertaste hits you like a bullet train and is TART and overwhelmingly SOUR. Wow! I've never tasted anything like this before and I'm sure I knocked back a few Berliner Kindls once while in Berlin.

Mouthfeel: It makes you pucker...worse than any sour patch kid every did.

Overall: I am not sure I am a big fan. I can see where this might have a niche market, but for the money, refreshment factor, and overall satisfaction, I'll be sticking with Bud Light Limes this summer.

2.16/5  rDev -41%

I'd read about the beer, and wanted to try a Berliner Weisse (never had one before). This seemed like a good start, and it didn't cost much (~$3 for a 12 oz bottle).

Appearance: nice looking; not much head at all, just a little fizz. Straw colored.

Smell: There's a very faint peach smell, but mostly it smells like valeric acid to me (goat-sweat). Not a really appetizing smell, at least to me.

Taste: It's extremely tart. There is a very faint peach taste to it, but mostly it's just sour. There is no balancing sweetness to it at all.

Feel: fairly tangy and acidic.

It's an interesting beer; I like sour beers and food in general, but prefer to have it balanced out with some sweetness. I'd probably really like this beer if I could add some peach syrup or one of the traditional Berliner Weisse syrups to it. As it is, it's a bit rough, although maybe I could get used to it. The price was reasonable, though, for a sour beer.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery