Festina Pêche | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Ratings: 4,311 |  Reviews: 1,358
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Reviewed from notes 2/21/2011

A: hazy golden yellow, no head, no lacing, exactly as expected for this style of beer

S: yeasty, a very very faint hint of peaches, overall the smell of this beer is very muted

T: sweet, but slight sour/acidity, a subtle peach flavor, just enough to be delightful

M: mild carbonation, crisp, clean, and refreshing

O: a perfect sit on the deck in the summer drinking beer, with the ease of access to this one, it's a staple in our fridge

Cheers!
The CPJ

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from bottle into Mug

A - Beer poured with a cloudy light pale yellow body; good amount of carbonation stood above the lack of a head, which dissipated very quickly

S - Peaches, peaches, peaches; malty backbone; scents of honey and a champagne-grape carries on after the initial blast of peach

T - Peach coupled with sour notes; some sweetness hits the tongue initially and citrus tones overall

M - Effervescent and sweet; like an orange-peach carbonated beverage

D - Low alcohol content really makes the citrus-peach favors stand out; I thought it was a good fruit flavored beer; unique; good summer drink

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Pours a pretty clear super fizzy golden color with a very small fizzy head with absolutely no lacing. Smells of peach and a little tartness and some malts. Tastes a little of peaches and a little watered down amber ale mixed together. Almost like a Lindeman's Peche with very little flavor. Mouthfeel is medium with a huge carbonation. Drinkability is high.

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Notes from 8/1/10; 2010 bottling

Pours with absolutely no head; a hazy golden brown.

Tart (underripe) peach aroma with a slight amount of funk as well.

Taste is pretty pleasant actually. Iwasn't sure what to expect from this. Taste is a hit of general tartness with peach notes coming through more after the carbonation subsides. Not all that different from a semi-dry sparkling white wine, except for a bit of grain/malt underneath.

Mouthfeel is light and bright with moderate/high carbonation; finish is crisp and dry.

Low abv and pleasant taste/mouthfeel lead to very good drinkability. I liked this more than I expected, but still wouldn't want very often.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

appearance; a hazy orange-yellow and a white head. Some retention and little lacing. Pretty much what is to be expected from the style.

smell; a bland tartness with some balancing yeast, as well as an obvious peach aroma. Exactly what I would expect of a Berliner Weiße with peach extract added. Mild sour aromas but I expect more from this style.

taste; a very nice tart and sour balance, tamed a bit with wheat flavors. Then a fermented peach flavor takes control, with a wein-like dryness that holds back a lot of fruity sweetness, to my approval. Taste much like homemade peach wein with the yeasty sediment not filtered out. In the finish, as the peach flavors fade, tart flavors take control once again and leave a yeasty finish.

mouthfeel/drinkability; feels medium bodied and slightly thick. Leaves a definite puckering feel in the mouth. Quite smooth in a creamy-crisp refreshing way. A very easy drink for a sunny day.

An interesting concept to blend peaches with this style, good but I like the traditional better. Still, a must try for it's uniqueness.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

My first US Beer, and my first Dogfish Head, let's hope it makes the US beer industry proud!

The appearance is good as it purs, forming a cloudy, juice like liquid, very attractive to the eye and with a head that lasts less that a minute.

It smells very nice, but I cant quite put my finger on what it reminds me of, other that saying 'summer'.

The taste is not what I was expecting to be honest, very sour, a bit like drinking a less lemon-y lemonade to be honest, as the alcohol is covered up well.

All in all a very refreshing drink, which I look forward to having once the summer arrives. It is also great to see brewers trying something out of the norm, which is what attracted me to Dogfish Head in the first place.

This is the 2010 brew if you're interested. So looking at the below review I will be aging my other bottles for a few years.

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Thanks to Stan for sharing this treat. Poured from a 2004 750 ml bottle there was still a ton of carbonation and it showed with a nice finger worth of tiny white bubbles that sat at the top of the snifter for a while. The color reminded me of a peach or apricot. The aromas of peach juice and funk were still very prevalent in the nose. I have had this fresh but this aged bottle was fantastic in the flavor department. It was tart with a hint of peach sweetness coming thru to make this thing superbly drinkable. We sipped at this bottle for a good hour and enjoyed every drop. The mouthfeel was light with great carbonation for your tongue. I would not have thought to age this one that long but I will be doing a few bottles for myself. It really just mellowed down the sourness and made this a great brew

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at DFH poured into pint glass. Pours a hazy pale yellow with a thin, quickly dissipating white head. Aroma is sour citrus that overpowers what little sweet malt is there. Flavor is sour lemons and peach concentrate. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Just couldn't get into this one.

2.66/5  rDev -27.1%

Sampled on draft. Review from notes.

Pours an absolutely unique-looking, clear, light, whitish-yellow. Looks like a champagne. Nice head retention. Smells peachy and light malty. With the taste, unripened peaches mixed with some unripened grapes as well. There is nothing predominating except for the sourness. Flat feel, sour finish. I'm gonna sample this one from the bottle, because it just didn't do it at all for me on tap..

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottled in 2009 C3

It's quite well carbonated, but not so much that it interferes with the taste. Color is cloudless and like a light, golden yellow.

Smell almost feels one-directional. Citrus/tart hitting aroma.

Taste is quite sweet and tart. It reminds me of some kind of lambic. The tail doesn't last for long but is filled with sugary malts.

It goes down easy as it hides the alcohol quite well, but the sweet and tart combination keeps me from having another 12 oz bottle immediately as I find myself almost puckering.

Cheers

3.43/5  rDev -6%

A - Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dull ochre color with orange highlights and a tiny to nonexistent head.

S - Sour peaches, tart cherries, citrus, earthy malts.

T - Tastes like sort of a combination of peach lambic, weissbier, and just a hint of a saison tartness. Sort of a sour, light citrusy sweet aftertaste.

M - Light bodied with some good carbonation.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A Berliner weiss style light Summer brew, this one differentiates itself from the usuals with the addition of a peach concentrate to the malts.
Pours a light gold with some clarity, and only slight lace.
Scent is certainly fruity, almost cidery.
The taste brings on citrus notes, less peach and more like an orange cider.
This is a nice and clean beer, and probably a real treat on a hot Summer day. I enjoyed, though it's one of Dogfish's lighter, less bold brews.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%

A: A tan yellow, almost peachy color that makes me happy (I love it when a beer looks like whats in it). The head was a finger thick and lasted a short while though held little lacing

S: Peaches up front, though more sour then I was expecting, is this going to be a saison? The name and description make it sound heavy and sweet. The malt character is there but on a more pale note than I though would be. There is also a very yeasty, wheaty smell.

T: Tart peaches uo front riding on a smooth wheat backbone. Faint spicy hop notes follow in the background and dance on my tongue with the sour lambic like tartness.

M: Nicely carbonated with light body and a dry tart finish.

D: Though I think this beer is definitely not a Berliner weisse as it is missing that essential ascorbic flavor, it is super tasty and tart. love the away the peaches come through so that they taste complete and integrated at the same time. Good drink, will have again when I see it.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%

Pretty color - a very light yellow-orange. Peaches are prominent on the nose, but not overwhelmingly so. It's definitely tart, and the fruit profile is fresh, not cloying or sweet. Previous reviewers have complained that it isn't balanced, but I disagree; it's not particularly complex but not at all boring either. Drinkability is high, especially considering the low ABV.

I've had it in the bottle, and I thought it was flabby and dull. On-tap, however, it was delicious. I couldn't stop drinking it and never stopped to consider drinking anything else.

2.85/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. I didn't enjoy this my first time around, so I decided to give it a second go just because I love DFH. Pours a hazy straw color with decent and and little lacing. I'm picking up strong hints of peach. One sip, and again I knew this beer isn't for me. It's very sour, no balance. I do taste the peaches, I like peaches, but not in this case. It's very very sweet. Mouthfeel is thin and malty. Drinkability isn't bad due to low abv, but the sourness kills it for me.

I felt like I was drinking a wine cooler, not a beer. DFH does amazing things, but this is not it. Not to diss anyone who enjoys this beer, but if there was ever a "girly" beer, this is it!

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%

Standard bottle poured into a pint glass. Had little to no head and no lacing. The aroma was of sour peaches, smelled wonderful. It tasted sour than I expected but the more I drank the more I liked it. It was super easy to drink and is one of those beers that you crave on a hot summer day.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This poured a very light yellow, almost like a sparkling white grape juice that is a little hazy. There is tons of carbonation. I don't get much peach in the scent as I expected, but that may not be a bad thing necessarily. The taste had a good peach flavor that gave it a sourness. It isn't a sour and didn't have the sourness I want when going that route, and it wasn't malty or hoppy. The flavor seemed a bit lost if you ask me. It isn't bad, I am just disappointed.

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellow color and a hazy consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. OK lacing.

S: Predictably, the smell was dominated by the peach, with some malty elements.

T: Tasted of peach and grain up front, with a malty finish. There's a little bit of hoppiness there, but it's not particularly dominant. A sweet flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a dry finish. Light-bodied.

D: A well made, interesting take on the Berliner Weissbier. Drinkable.

A: hazy, yellow/orange hue, with almost zero head.

S: peach, granny smith apples, wheat malt aroma.

T: peach, honey, slight bread, tart/granny smith sour finish

M: high carbonation, light/medium body, dry/crisp mouth

D: Interesting Summer beer, first didn't like it, but
guess over time my palate has evolved. I think
I will bring this beer to the next BBQ/Family cookout.

VERY GOOD, WORTH TRYING!

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Served in a dfh shaped pint glass

A: pours a very hazy golden yellow color with very little bubbly head that dissipates very quickly, leaves absolutely no lacing

S: very sweet smelling brew, can absolutely smell the peach which is wonderful but there is also a deeper possibly even malty scent that backs up the peach

T: sweet taste of both peach and possibly also honey?

D/M: strong carbonation tingle, sweetness really makes it a joy to drink and isn't in any way a turn off, drinks very smooth and light

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

L, S, M, and D, seem to be exactly per style. The peach flavor is nice, though I don't know if I would pick peach out if it were not on the label. I may have guessed a citrus mix. This is a carbonated, refreshing beer, but is so light I am not inclined to seek it out again. The syrupy fruity flavor just does not have enough texture to make it interesting. There is a little bit of grassy flavor at the finish, but this still drinks close to a soda than I prefer with a beer. This has a pretty accessible level of sour to it, thus is a nice introduction to sourer beer flavors. I have limited experience with this style, and I thank DFH for expanding my beer culture with it, but it will be low on my list going forward.

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Pours very fizzy, lots of carbonation thin head recedes quickly, looks A pale, apple juice color.
S- Sweet white grapes on the nose, Chardonnay like.
T- Hint of apricots then very tart peach.
M- Very dry, I mean very dry. Has the mouthfeel of a dry white wine.
D- On a hot summer day, you bet.
The first time I tasted this I was not impressed, I am now. For its style, its a really good brew.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%

Had this shortly after its release at Barcade in Brooklyn several years back. I was too blinded by all those '80s video games to think straight, so I hardly remember what it tasted like...figured it was time to buy a 4-pack and check it out again.

Starts out rather anemic, looking a bit sickly with that lack of head and that washed out witbier-like paleness. There is a head at first, but it crackles down to nothing ver, very quickly. Boy, that's not looking impressive at all...

Weak nose. Not surprised to find some peach aroma here, but it's really far back, and I don't get much else from the nose. In fact, I really get nothing. So far, not so good...

Things improve a bit with the taste. There's a well-balanced tartness, which carries the peach taste nicely, and it gives a bit of puckering action to the insides of the mouth. A good pit of citrus/rind/pith underscore this. Ample carbonation heightens the brightness of the texture, and a chalky kind of yeastiness brings just a bit of earth/soil with it, meant in a good (not gross) way, of course.

This is okay, but nothing I'll ever want to revisit. One thing I'll always say about Dogfish Head is that their penchant for experimentation not only makes them one of the most interesting brewers in the business, but that sort of "let's trying everything and anything" sometimes produces less-than-spectacular results. C'est la vie. They're still one of the best breweries ever.

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%

Bottle to tulip. Bottled on 4/28/10. Review from backlog of notes.

A: Pours with a bright white fizzy head, no more than one finger high. Rapidly diminishing. The body is a pale golden straw color with a haziness providing 80% opacity. No film, no collar, no lacing. None expected.

S & T: No discernible hop or malt character. Moderate sourness, tartness and acidity. Peach, lemon, maybe a little apple and grape. Somewhat of a wine like quality to the taste. Sharp, zesty flavor. Quite refreshing.

M: Light bodied, full of flavor. Minerally texture with a fizzy carbonation that is altogether enlivening to the mouth.

D: Exceptional drinkability. I went through two cases this summer. It's great to have such a flavorful beer that is incredibly refreshing with such a low ABV.

I have to say though, that I'm a little disappointed that Dogfish Head OF ALL breweries wouldn't chose to develop the lactic quality and peach flavor naturally. Why not use lactobacillus instead of lactic acid? Why not whole peaches instead of peach concentrate? DFH has the resources! They have sourced water from Antarctica for crying out loud!!! Sam seems to take A LOT of pride in his ingredients and processes, so why the lapse with this beer?

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%

A non-exceptional berliner weiss. I can't decide if I'm overrating, or under, but I do enjoy this one during the warm, summer days (i.e.: all year long, here in SoCal).

It pours a hazy, very pale straw, with a huge fluffy white head that dissipates into nothingness (no lacing, no retention).

Aroma is peach and a bit of slightly sour grain. On the palate, this is remarkably full of flavor, hitting some solid peach notes, a decidedly sour twang, some bit of light pale malt grain shining through, and not snapping off thinly so much as bending off into a slow, pleasing fade that leaves no real lingering sweetness.

It's a light bodied beer, that still delivers on a few waves of flavor.

Quite nice, far from traditional, and with enough complexity and flavor in some sort of harmony to make this an appealing seasonal beverage.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery