Festina Pêche | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Liked:
3.66/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,353 |  Reviews: 1,368
3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a very pale, somewhat cloudy color. Aroma is strong with hints of peach and malt. Very fruity. The taste is smooth and flavorful, not too overpowering with a strong peach essence. As a result, this beer is very drinkable. It's also quite sessionable. I like it.

Appealing golden straw, sunshine yellow color. Head is white and certainly rapidly fading. A small white topping is left behind with an occasional spot of lace. Smells lightly tart and tangy with wheat and citric acidity with a light soft peach. A nice combination. The peach delicately with the sweetness. A sip brings a more apparent sour tartness softened slightly by the peach. A syrupy feel is only slightly noticeable. It only takes a slight edge off the tartness. Mouth feel is smooth and slick, appropriately wheaty. Drinkable despite the acidic style and nicely refreshing on a hot day.

Beer...good.

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

This is certainly not a style I am familiar with; let me say that straight off...but low-ABV Dogfish Head? That's such a crazy idea, it just might work.

I chose a pilsner glass in which to pour this interesting beer, hopefully showcasing some active carbonation and to coax a decent head out of it. I wasn't disappointed. The head is sticking around pretty well over an odd but not unappetizing pale body that looks like Limeade, for lack of a better comparison.

Smell...the sour apricot and peach aroma is in the forefront, residing on top of a mash-y wheat. The only comparison I can really draw is to a lambic.

Taste. Upon first sip, wow, is this shockingly sour. After a couple sips, my taste buds have acclimated, and are receptive. Still a very sour apricot/peach upfront, but there's plenty of wheat in the finish. Tastes mildly yeasty among a distinct lemon note, like a much weaker saison. Alcohol, as you would expect, is non-existent. Did I really just say that about a Dogfish Head beer? After you get past the initial sour-shock, this one strikes a nice balance between the fruit and wheat backing. Not so sweet....certainly NOT a peach-soda type of fruit beer.

Mouthfeel is good. Spritzy and as actively carbonated as it appears. Has good crackle and pop.

Drinkability - I think all golf courses in the Southeast should be required to have this on tap at the 19th Hole. It would be perfect to relax with after a day of typically crappy I-can't-break-100 golf.

Edit: This has really grown on me, so I'm raising the numbers a little. Give this one a real chance, this is the stuff of a great summer seasonal.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

I recently bought a single bottle but I wasn’t sure if I was going to like it. I was pleasantly surprised. Excellent summer beer.

Pours a hazy-yellow color. Small foamy head that quickly reduces to a paper-thin ring of tiny bubbles, carbonation level is good, contributing to delicate mouthfeel.

Aroma is slight but appetizing – lemon zest and a touch of yeast.

Begins sour, very citrus, before transitioning into light peachy sweetness and finishing with a complex sour-bitter taste that clings to the edges of the tong.

Extremely drinkable: refreshing; light, if slightly sticky moutfeel, low abv.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

Just hit the shelves in Florida today, so I took a special trip to pick up a 4 pack.

A: Very light cloudy yellow in color with a small head rimming the glass. Very nice.

S: Yeasty peach at the nose. Mild yet nice.

T: I like it a lot. Wow this would quench ones thirst on a hot Florida afternoon. They call it Peche, but it has the taste of apricots. tart, funky, apricots, like you would get dried in a package. The good news is I love dried apricots. Yummy!

M: Light and bubbly. This one is carbonated and dances around in my belly.

D: I could drink the entire 4 pack, had I not consumed a Fat Dog Imperial and a Rochefort 10 earlier in the day.

Overall: I like it. A very nice summer brew by DFH. I really don't think they could have done this one any better. It is funky like a nice Belgian, tart, with the taste of dried Apricots. I kept picking up and putting down the glass until the contents quickly disappeared. Bravo Dog Fish Head. If I was not buzzed from the last three beers I would by on my way to pick up 4 more of these. As it says on the bottle; This beer is so down with the dog days of summer. TRY IT!

UPDATE: The more I drink this stuff the more I like it. Off to the beer store yet again for another 4 pack.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Upfront, a crisp, refreshing lemony tartness. Further into the sip, the sour acidity begins to blend with a light and very authentic peach flavor. Towards the finish, the acidic tartness remains but the tasty peach eventually gives way to a more classic weiss flavor with some earthy yeast character. Light mouthfeel with sharp, active carbonation (both perfect for the style).

A surprisingly effective combination of fruit and tart lactic acidity. Light and very refreshing. Plus, the peach flavor isn’t cloying or synthetic; it’s quite well balanced and nicely genuine.

Recommended…

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%

12 oz. for 2.49, when the four-pack costs 11.00? I always figured the people at Whole Foods Cambridge would be smarter. Hey Sam, thanks for the date code.

Extremely hazy whitish-orangish yellow. Small white head, little stay, less lace. Smells very yeasty with lemon zest and light, semi-fresh peaches. Also a bit like a sweettart. Bright in the mouth, it is opens up with fruity fireworks of pineapple and peach. The tartness is appreciated as it zips across the tongue with just enough strength and speed. Bubbly and medium-bodied. It finishes on the sides of my tongue and the sourness makes me salivate continuously until the next sip.

An enjoyable, drinkable beer whose tart twist stands out of the crowd. The peaches are thankfully subdued and blend in well with the esters of the beer. A little expensive, but I would not mind having it again. It could just use a little more life to it (is this bottle-conditioned?) and a slightly less spritzy mouthfeel.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Presentation: 12oz bottle in a classic conical pint glass

Nice, tart/sour fruited nose, full of ripe peach, faint lemon, dull banana, fresh bread (sourdough?), yet also dry with straw. As it warms it gets drier & crisper, more apple cider (Granny Smith definitely). A pencil's worth of thin white foam faded quickly, leaving a transparent sheen and edge ring that did not lace. Hazy & clouded, the color is a dull banana gold, thick, some lone bubbles rising slowly thru it.

Oh, this is tart. A nice puckerish hit of sourness (much like the mixed drink) rides in raw overtop a delicate, yet present, peach profile. Its thick, chewy, slightly syrupy in mouthfeel with that wonderful sensation of one's lips curling inwards towards your teeth from tartness, you remember, the feeling you got from eating too many "Tart N' Tinies"!

Semi-dry with a dull crispness and even duller crunch (more chewy than crunchy) its even & flat but not boring. It grows beautifully bittersweet on the palate, thicker, the sour quality not so much increasing in strength but more resonating throughout my mouth, a sour "echo" of equal strength if you will. The peach quality is there, but not so sweet as more a presence, an essence. It finishes bittersweet with dulled tartness, drier and sweetly crisp like Granny Smith cider, leaving a filmy, dull, just barely sour aftertaste as well as my lips trying like hell to curl under my teeth....nice.

An unusual style, but enjoyable. Can't say I could session these, but this would make a nice beer to search out & enjoy while available, especially if you like sour/tart. Peach fans might be disappointed, but they also may really enjoy it...its certainly no peach bomb. This would make for an interesting side for a fruit & soft cheese plate. I'd certainly drink it again, and would recommend it.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

This poured a slightly hazy/cloudy golden-straw color. Had a subtle sour smell to it at first and then opened up to the peach aromas. Good carbonation on it gave it a great mouth feel. The sourness really overpowered the peach flavor in this beer for me. You could taste some peach but again, it was very subtle. I think this is a great summer beer. The sourness was not over the top like a La Folie, but it was still prominent.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this on tap at Max’s in Baltimore.

Looks like a whit beer with a foggy pale gold color and a bleach white head that stuck around for a while. The colors here really grabbed my attention in an enticing fashion.

Smells of old basement and apricots with a slight electric lemon sting.

The flavor is based on a delicate powdered sugar, honey and a touch of wheat that picks up an orange and apricot sourness that brings with it elements of Sprite’s sourness. It then fades to a yeasty almost lactic stickiness. This just goes to balance out the flavor, finishing far more cleanly that expected.

Feels light and easy, a little dense with a playful carbonation.

Finishes just a slightly bit sticky which detracts from it’s near perfect drinkability. A summer sipping wonder without question.

3.37/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap in the Gaithersburg, MD Brewpub.

A - Hazy straw yellow. No head, no lacing.

S - Lgiht malt. A bit of underripe peaches.

T - A very tart white peach flavor. Not sweet at all. Aftertaste is a lingering sour with some mild maltiness.

M - High carbonation makes it a tad harsh, thin, very refreshing.

D - Good Really hit the spot on a hot Sunday afternoon. I might have agian. The flavor and so forth isn't great, but it is pleasant. A tad reminiscent of lemonade.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Date code says bottled on 5/24/07. Hazy pale straw, with a thick creamy white head. Patchy lace.

Aroma is lightly sour with a touch of wheat.

Flavor is lemony and wheaty with a hint of peaches.

An interesting and tasty beer. Paired nicely with a couple pieces of Havarti cheese.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

I’m always excited to see a new dogfish selection on the shelf, so I bought the 4 pack and ran home to try it.

It poured a very light gold with an almost champagne like carbonation. It contained a very light citrus aroma.

I received an instant bite when I took my first sip and it reminded me even more of champagne, being very tang and tart. After taste as well as the rest of the glass was much smoother. I'd say overall a descent fruit beer. But nothing that would keep me coming back.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Served very chilled in a pint glass. It poured quite hazy and golden in color. It was topped with a half inch bright white sudsy head. Really nice looking brew.

A lot of yeast and citrus in the nose. And of course peach as well.

My initial thought on the first sip was that it had a strong flavor of tart peaches and apricots. Not sweet at all which is good. Slightly yeasty with a dry grainy finish.

Medium mouthfeel with a slightly biting carbonation. Very crisp.

Extremely drinkable. One of the best fruit additions to a beer I've ever tasted. I really liked that the peach was tart and not sweet. I found it easy to see myself drinking a few of these on a summers day.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance - Hazy yellow color. Small white head. Zero retention and lacing.

Smell - Peach, lemon, yeast, and some maltiness.

Taste - Peachy, tart bite that levels out after several sips.

Mouthfeel - Nice clean feel. It's dry and refreshing.

Drinkability - Initially I thought I couldn't drink much of this but by the time I finished the beer I was ready for another one.

Cloudy pale yellow, without much of a head, as you might expect. I was concerned that it would be overpoweringly fruity (at least in scent) but that was not the case at all -- there is a slightly sweet smell, but nothing I perceived as overtly peachy.

It's wonderfully tart, then settles into a smooth, sweeter taste as you continue to drink it -- very refreshing indeed. It's the opposite of chewy -- ideal for a hot summer day. I am not a fan of peaches, but this won me over with a perfect balance of up-front tartness and secondary sweetness without ever seeming syrupy or too sweet.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in MD.

Poured a cloudy, bright straw yellow with very little head. Didn't leave any lace.

You can really smell the yeast in this one. Slighty mellow nose not very impressed.

Big punch of peach when you first sip it. Very difficult to place the flavors. Very acidic and when warmed up become very, very tart. Slight wheat notes where present. Very clean finish with more tartness on the way. Bartender said they brewed it with five hundred pounds of peachs and you can really tell. Very light and tight on the tongue.

A refreshing beer that needs a little bit of work done. I don't know alot about the style but I was expecting something a little more German like. Something I might pick up later but don't count on it.

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA

Poured a cloudy, pale (yet bright) straw yellow with a one-finger, bubbly white head that quickly disappeared.

The aroma was macro-ish and a touch skunky with a powdery yeastiness lingering in the background. As the beer warmed, some German pilsener-like maltiness emerged, along with a touch of lemony tartness.

The taste was sharply acidic and quite lemony. Some wheaty notes came through mid-palate and on the back end. The finish was clean, crisp and rather tart, with a slight skunkiness. This beer claims that it is a "malt beverage brewed with peach concentrate," yet I found absolutely no indication of peach in the aroma or in the flavor.

The mouthfeel was very thin, light and highly carbonated. I have never sampled a more fizzy and airy beer.

As for drinkability, this beer may have been light and somewhat refreshing, but it definitely was not very tasty or enjoyable.

Because this was my first time sampling a Berliner Weissbier, I must admit that I am not accustomed to the style. However, if this beer is in any way indicative of other beers in this category, I find find few redeeming qualities with them.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

A- translucent straw yellow body with thin white head that quickly fades and leaves behind some lacing.

S- Smell is quite tart. Sour fruit and citrus stand out with a yeast backbone.

T- Tart peaches and citrus upfront. Wheat background can be noticed. The tartness fades lingers and is rather sour.

M- Light carbonation and light body perfect for summer consumption. Smooth.

D- This is a very drinkable summer beer. Great brew from DFH. I was excited to get to try a Berliner. I would not hesitate to have this again.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Served on-tap in pint glass.

Appearance: Murky golden color with a thin white head. Looks like a hefe...minus the good head.

Smell: Two things - citrus and peaches. Smells like a peach grove.

Taste: Initial taste is all citric acid. After the first few sips, the fruity peaches come back. Extremely clean and dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin and tart...fells good! Nice carbonation.

Drinkability: The clean finish is nice. I'm sure the tartness will turn off some, but I like it!

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours cloudy lemon-drop yellow with a thin head. Well, this style isn't exactly known for its head retention, anyway. There is a lasting thin island of a patch, though.

The smell is of hints of peach. A candy-like sweettart aroma is there.

The taste is sweettart. Peach skin (no syrupy fruit here) blends with a malty sweetness with a balancing tartness. Finishes refreshingly dry.

Refreshingly light, a nice flavor hangs on. Smooth.

A broad interpretation of the style - well, what do you expect from DFH. I do have to say, though, that they put a nice twist on the style. A nice summer brew. Wish it came in six-packs for the same price!

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass the day after the local liquor store received it. They only had cases, but were nice enough to break one open for me since I was a bit worried about trying a peach beer as I'm not a fan of fruit beers. This was a bit surprising.

A - Pours a cloudy yellow color with a deep white peach pinkness deep in the glass -- not much in the way of head.

S - Scent's got a bit of tartness behind it, maybe a taste of wheat -- with a bit of sweetness behind it and a bit of peach -- not as much as I expected.

T - Refreshing and thirst quenching -- not at all like the Sam Adams Cherry What cloying flavor that I expected. The peach is a sharp and refreshing citrus not a sticky sweetness.

M - Super-carbonated... at first I thought too much, but with a bit of sipping I've learned to enjoy it.

D - More drinkable than any fruit beer I've ever tasted. Nothing overwhelming about this "beer" makes for a nice summer drink.

Overall: A real pleasant surprise. I wouldn't have minded having an entire case of this despite my initial reservations... This would be a great beer for a summer barbecue of mixed real beer drinkers, cheap beer drinkers and the wine cooler crowd.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

A tumbler glass served at Capone's.

A: The ale is a pale but hearty yellow color, well carbonated and slightly hazy. The head was near 1 finger on pour and retained nicely through the glass.

S: The nose has a distinct tartness that is softened by a subtle peach sweetness. The sweetness is not as syrupy or sickly sweet like what you would find in Lindeman's Peche.

T: The ale does a remarkable job of straddling the two disparate worlds of Berliner Weisse and fruit lambic. The ale reveals a light wheat body up front, airy and slightly tart, that soon reveals a stronger tart, pucker-up element. Before the tartness can build up too far, a fruity peach flavor emerges, softening the tartness with a strong sweetness that mixes with the wheat for a refreshing finish.

M: The ale nicely melds the wheat tartness and the peach's sugary sweetness, creating an excellent mix worthy of consideration alongside himbeer and waldmeister syrups.

D: The tart flavor makes this beer almost too drinkable. One sip and I reflexively reach for another. A great creation from the twisted minds at DFH.

4.27/5  rDev +16.7%

I sampled this at the Grey Lodge the other night for their DFH tasting and picked up a few bottles the next day. The beer poured a very cloudy golden color into my DFH pint glass with a medium thickness, fluffy white head that runs away quickly. The aroma has alot going on. There a very present peach aroma running around and it is also a bit creamy. The taste is more of the same and oh so good. You first get a nice tart sensation in the mouth that is rounded out by a fresh peach taste and balanced out with an almost creamy texture. Probably due to the lactic fermentation this gets. This is a really good representation of the Berliner style. You get the tartness that is a trademark of the style but the peach flavor is really enjoyable and with a low ABV of 4.5%, this is going to be on my summer beer rotation at home for some while.

At the brewpub I noticed that Festina Peche was not the Festina Lente yeah I know...anyway I asked Wes the bartender for a half pint on this one just b/c of the tart character and my eagerness to start drinking one of the 90 minutes through the Randall. Appearance a clouded apricot light golden tone with a large fizzy whtie head leaves behind thin lacing after dwindling away. Aromatics contain that great tart lactic character trademark of the Berliner Weissbier of Germany but in this case also an evident nose of Peaches with a light herbal quality detected as well. Flavors definitely pucker the lips a great eye opening tartness dives into my senses leaving behind a clean dryness after the rush lets up fruity peach notes are not syrupy or cloying very well blended into the design of this beer I'm guessing with Dogfish real peaches here great and refreshing with tartness and funky citrus wheat mix as well. Mouthfeel is light and spritzy carbonation really tickles the throat with the fine bubbled flow as stated the finish is definitely dry once the tart lactic character fades very nice stuff. Drinkablity quite refreshing and interesting but I preferred the half pint although I would not have had any problmes definitely the drinkable type of funky tart beers not that ones that start to turn the stomach acidic a true session beer.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery