ApriHop | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Ratings: 4,985 |  Reviews: 1,728
3.64/5  rDev -4.7%

Aprihop is by far the best venture by sam and the guys at dogfish head when it comes to realm of fruit beers and malt beverages, but unlike their Festina Pesche which is really tasty but not really good "beer" and their Fort which is just overloaded with raspberries and alcohol this is exactly what the bottle says "a serious IPA brewed with apricots"

It pours a really nice golden hue that's laced with orange and i'd say it's one of the nicest looking brews i've seen from dogfish head, instantly appealing and it just looks refreshing...

And i mean, it is, it has a little bit of a tart smell, not much detectable in the hops department but definately some fruit, although not immediately apricot

Taste is just great, starts off with a pretty classic dogfish head IPA, good ammount of hops and really drinkable but once it's down you can taste all the lingering fruit and let me say, the burp on this thing is where the apricot comes in, because while its drinking it tends to exude much more oranges and peach than its namesake but that post-bottle belch just forces the "shit that was a lot of apricot" it's probably not gonna be your "go to beer" but one or two (or three) when it's hot out, great choice. There's a little bit of tartness that builds up as the glass empties so i'd say its both a great characteristic and a flaw beause it can be "too" much, but all in all, a great selection from an off-centered ale

3.99/5  rDev +4.5%

ApriHop is so damn odd. The flavor of apricots is foreign to things one would expect in a beer, but Dogfish Head went with it, and so here you have it. Apricot IPA.

And it's not like it's bad! It's just so strange it's hard to review. Every sip is a surprise, since you automatically want to believe there can't possibly be more apricots in there.

It's a dinner beer, in my opinion. I had it with some pretty plain chicken and potatoes and it really helped compliment the meal.

In all, it's something you must try if you get the chance... just to see for yourself. Look for it at ACBF, apparently.

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%

An IPA brewed with apricots...I was expecting the fruit to hit me right away, but I taste neither the fruitiness or any semblance of an IPA.

Pours a somewhat hazy copper colour, with a thin white head.

First thing you notice is a sourness, followed by warming alcohol, turning into a dry bitterness on your tongue.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Brilliantly clear deep amber orange with a large beige head. Head dissipated to nothing.

A- Citrusy hops and light apricots

T- Slightly sour. Sweet malt with light caramel notes and an apricot flavor. Initially when I took a sip it tasted very much like having fruit in my mouth. Not so hoppy that I'd consider this an IPA though. The apricot flavor was more and more noticeable as the beer warmed. Finishes on the sweet side.

M- Medium body with moderate to light carbonation.

D- Surprisngly I liked it. I felt it was a bit under hopped to be considered an IPA, but I wonder if adding more hops would have overpowered the apricot flavor. I did the the light hoppiness and apricots went together quite nicely. Check this beer out it sure is interesting.

Pours an extremely clear golden tinted color with medium bodied fairly white head.
Smells very strongly of flowery hops with a fantastic real apricot scent backing it up.
Taste is a nice blend of sweet hops and a strong fruit rind.
Finish is pretty clean with a very sweet almost sour after-taste, but just barely.
Drinks very smooth, a nice IPA/fruit combo.

2.69/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I guess I'm not really sure where the guys at Dogfish Head were going with this one. I have heard that it has become less and less hoppy every year....at this point I don't believe ApriHop is an appropriate name, the hops are no longer, there is some decent fresh sour apricot...but no hops to speak of. The appearance and the mouthfeel may be this beer's saving graces, but this is no IPA...I'm not impressed at all, but I appreciate the creativity.

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

In my California world, reputation of this beer preceeded it's appearance by at least a few years, so when I saw it at the local store, I pounced on it, even though the 4-pack was somewhat expensive.

Pours a pretty deep orange-amber with a nice fluffy head into my tulip glass. Clear and bright, ready for drinking.

Aroma is, well, apricots. Gentle sweetness. Nice malts. Then we sip this beer of high renoun... what is this? Unripe fruit? Weeds gathered up and thrown in for fun? Organic (yeasty) funk? It's obviously got the fruit flavor, spot on there, but it really seems like the fruit and the hops are just fighting each other for my palate's attention. And my palate is the loser of the battle. Can't get my arms (or lips, or tongue for that matter) around this one. I appreciate creativity, but I'll give this one a miss.

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

Well this one called to me at the store this week, beckoning me with the tag line "A serious India Pale Ale brewed with real apricots."
Pours a clear deep golden color reddish/orange hues, with a thinnish off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of apricots, sulfur, hay or grass, not very remarkable. Taste is a little sweet, tart and fruity, but not much IPA here. Leaves a tart fruity almost caramel taste on my tongue. Medium high level of carbonation, slick/sticky mouthfeel, medium body. 7% alcohol is well hidden. Nothing offensive here, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe apricots aren't my favorite fruit, but I was reeled in with the serious IPA pitch, and IPA this ain't.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a nice golden orange color from the bottle into a pint glass which produced very little head.

Has a sweet apricot smell.

Tastes a little sour, bitter, and of course like apricots!

Is light with a bitter sour aftertaste.

Would definitely drink again, but will not hoard it or go out of my way to find it.

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a bottle (bottled on 3/4/09) into a tumbler glass.

A: Pours a clear caramel color with a thin white head. Lace sticks to the glass after each sip.

S: Cut hay, faint apricot aroma, not a whole lot going on here surprisingly.

T: Tartness on the front. I suppose that's the apricot, but if it is, it's very subdued. Turns to a quick blast of bitterness that disappears completely in a second. Finish is a little sour.

M: A tad slick, but relatively light in body.

D: Not too impressed with this one. The tartness of the apricot seemingly kills any hop flavor or aroma. Disappointing since it is advertised as a serious IPA. Glad that I tried it, but now I have 3 more to give away...

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a clear bronze with two fingers of off white foam. Fizzy head drops quickly to a thin sheet. Nose has some apricot and metal, hints of earthiness and and grassy hop. Very acidic up front, middle is chalky and quite dry, and finished with a mild bitterness. Apricot flavour is subdued and the hops are overwhelmed by the tartness. This one isn't working for me.

3.07/5  rDev -19.6%

A- Small off white head with okay retention and weak lacing.

S- Mild malt aroma, caramel and bread. Some nice hop and fruity aromas I am guessing apricot.

T- Sweet fruity flavors with mild tartness. Light malt and dry bitterness in th end.

M- Nice light oily feeling. With a wave of tart and dryness in the end.

Yet another beer with fruit added to it that I do not enjoy.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a delicious burnished amber colour, looks very thick in the body, lots of languous large-bubbled carbonation feeding a lightly filmy head of off-white foam. Lacing is good. Looks pretty tasty overall.

Oh man... There's something so classic about the American IPA that we just can't get in Australia. This aroma, full of sweet fruit and pepper, takes me right back to my last trip to the US. It's not as full on as some IPA aromas, a bit sweeter, and less of the pungent potency, but still very tasty.

On the palate lie those hidden apricots. Initial robust IPA character is then leavened by a sweet-sour dried apricot flavour, that adds a little bit of quirky fun. In all honesty, it fits rather nicely with the sharp hop characters. There is, however, not the level of back palate bitterness I would have expected. But again, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

A very drinkable brew. Undoubtedly odd, but assuredly enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev +14.4%

This is what I think Magic Hat #9 should have been. As a Vermonter (I've lived within 20 mins from the Magic Hat factory as long as they've been around) #9 is kind of a standard for me (A "Not Quite Pale Ale" with Apricots in it as well). But this really just brought the nice hit of apricots with the hop profile of a nice IPA.

Something very different and quite refreshing, if you see this around, pick up a 4-pack on a nice hot day.

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this in 2012, and while I think it's better than what I rated it in back in 2009, it's a bit TOO apricot for my likes. As an example, a No. 9 by Magic Hat tones it down just a bit to make the fruit not over bearing.

My rating is based off personal preference. If you like sweet, really sweet, beers, this seems high quality. I, personally, am not a fan of overly sweet brews.

Dark red, orange in color. Clear, slightly bubbly with limited head and lace. Very fruity scent.

Extremely carbonated. Apricots really come through. Too fruity for my taste. Kind of upset my stomach.

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

The beer is somewhat of a copper / amber color and smells fantastic. Unlike magic hat #9 which seems like the most obvious comparison, the sweet apricot smell really sticks with the beer and is awesome. The apricot flavor really sticks out alot, but subsides and allows the subtle hop flavor to come out, leaving you with a slight bitterness reminiscent of an actual apricot.

I have always been a big #9 fan, as I like beers with interesting flavors and twists on more common styles, but in all honestly, this blows it out of the water. Compared to #9, this is a heavier, more substantive beer (aprihop is truer to the IPA style). Highly recommended.

2.47/5  rDev -35.3%

Half growler from New Beer. Poured into a squared off pint glass.

Filtered copper body, gooey inch of off-white froth.

Smell is a mute IPA. A squirt of tangerine & peach at the end. Very ho-hum.

Taste again, is a very paltry pale. Very little malt, faded earthy hops, with more flavor & bitterness coming from the rindy, soured fruit itself. A weak, almost stale base beer. Lemongrass, peaches, half-ripe apricots(skins, pits & all), the fruit is what's interesting here. Bittersweet, it saves this "beer" from being absolute junk. The noticeable alcohol doesn't seem to mingle with the rest of the beer. A little feel of graininess on the finish keeps gives the actual base beer at least one positive aspect.

Feel is average to strong in carbonation, with a good froth always getting on your lips. It feels a little stiffer on tap, but don't ask me to put down $6 for another glass. Beer is very light-bodied for 7%.

The base beer needs some real work. :|

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

P- Brass Rail

A- a gorgeous amber orange pour that is somehwhat clear but has some carbonation rising throughout. A half finger head that quickly dissipates though.

S- huge on the aprioct (obviously). a nice citrus mixed with a well balance malt and floral aroma.

T- a sour and acidic apricot flavor splashed with a lemon type of malt. Not as hoppy as one would think for an IPA. Very tasty on the backend with apricot and floral buds.

M- somewhat dry yet quite refeshingly smooth. The acidity in the beer tricks the mouth into thinking its more citrusy like lemon.

D- Overall a good beer to have but more than 2 and the sourness would get to a person and it might hinder from drinking a sixer on the weekend.

2.75/5  rDev -28%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The neck had a lasered bottled on date of 2/12/09. It was a clear bronze color with a few carb streams but no lacing. It had a very small head that quickly dissipated into a thin collar.

The aroma was surprisingly well balanced. You can smell the apricots but instead of dominating they blend in with the citrus hops and caramel malt. The taste however is pure sweet apricot. Eye puckering sweet with pretty just apricot showing thru. The hop and malt in the nose just disappear in the taste. The taste is OK for a few drinks but then I'm dreading the rest of the glass. Kinda a struggle to finish it but I did. Light to medium body with the aforementioned pucker factor.

Overall, an interesting beer that I wanted to like but just missed the mark for me. Mild recommend but one and done for me. I really respect what Dogfish is doing with their beers but they are still hit or miss for me unfortunately.

[1x]

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

A- nice deep amber/reddish hue, good head
S- Sour apricots, a little acetic, slight hint of malt
T- Sour apricots with slight malt. Even a little hint of peach, but thats from the apricots
M- good mothfeel, very carbonated and a little 'juicy'
D- Its drinkable, but what is it??

I am very confused by this beer. Is it an IPA with apricots, like the bottle says, or an apricot pale ale?
This just came to California and I was very excited to try this. Once I drank the first one, I was confused. I then drank a bottle each night for the next four days before this review, and alas, Im still confused.
Is it a good beer? Yes I think it is, but for a supposed 'serious' IPA, there is virtually no hop aroma or flavor to this beer . All I get when I drink this is a juicy sour apricot flavor that kind of dominates the flavor profile of the beer. And I think what throws me off is the label. When DFH says 'serious' IPA, I have visions of their 90 Minute, and this beer doesnt come close.
With that said, I would drink it again, but i wount go out of my way for it, and 'it' being this years batch. I keep reading that the flavor profile of this beer has been changing from year to year and I look forward to next years batch to see if there are any changes.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

A: I was surprised by the color when this was served to me. Deep amber, not much head but this is how the bar tender poured it, very little lacing.
S: Light and fruity, sweet, citrus, floral.
T: First thought was that this was some type of IPA. Fruity, sweet, citrus, lemon, grapefruit, definitely apricot, a little hoppy, light bitterness. I didn't notice the tartness other reviewers are reporting.
M: Smooth, light.
D: I was surprised by this and rathe enjoyed it. I don't usually like fruity beers, but for some reason I enjoy ones with apricot flavor. Good refreshing beer.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

looks like - something from the medieval times, amber red with rich tan frothy foamy head (almost like a cappuccino)

smells like - sour grapefruit with a tinge of alcohol lingering

tastes like - wow, very progressive, first is the bitter grapefruit taste
expected from the aroma but moves very quickly to a mild sweet nectar taste of apricots. So in the end it balances out to not be too bitter and not too sweet.

feels like - summer at the pool in your mouth

drinks like - if it weren't for the medium carbonation it would drink like sweet tea in the summer, the carbonation fills the stomach easily.

This IPA is very impressive and i am astounded that the bitterness is so apparent but then so immediately diffused. Truly a medium between bitter and sweet for beer drinkers to embark on into the journey of IPA world. Thank you dogfish head.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a light copper color that has a light orange glow towards the bottom of the glass with a one inch white head. The beer has an obvious apricot aroma with some other citrus flavors and just a hint of caramel malt. Apricots dominate the flavor as well. Its soft upfront and leaves a bitterness in the end. I noticed some lemon zest bitterness in the middle as well. Its a light-medium bodied beer that is a bit slick but definitely easy to drink. I actually found this beer to be pretty enjoyable. Its not overly fruity which I was worried about.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

Served: In a bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A: The body was a penny-colored brown. Little to no head formed on the top, lasted only a few seconds. The body is also transparent.

S: Smells like any other IPA, but it has the unique mild fruitiness to it. The name of the beer probably held me to a bias on that one.

T: Apricots and an IPA this beer is indeed. It's almost like the IPA makes the apricots seem like they aren't ripe. It's a weird taste, but somehow enjoyable.

M: It's crisp, moderately carbonated, leaves an apricot aftertaste.

D: It's a decent and unique IPA. I would pass this on to my roommate who is obsessed with them. He wouldn't be disappointed with this. I would only have a couple because I'm sure the 7.00% ABV would catch up to me eventually.

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Wow, this is my first review in a long time, even though I have had a ton of beers in between. I was excited to try this beer, an IPA with a twist.
Pour a clear amber/red color with a thin layer of head. Very little-no lacing and disappearing head.
Smell of hops, cant really smell an apricot.
Tastes like a lighter ipa overall with a juicy apricot after taste. Very light apricot, but not too sweet.
Nothing too different in way of mouthfeel, with a light juice feel later on.
Easy to drink, but wouldnt want too too many. Although this is not a sweet beer, the slight apricot taste may wear on me.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery