ApriHop | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Liked:
3.84/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,992 |  Reviews: 1,730
4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a nice bronze color. Somewhat thin head surprisingly leaves some nice lacing. Smells slightly of apricots, with a sweet malty aroma that is sort of unusual but nice. I thought it tasted delicious. Had a hint of apricots in every sip but never overdid it. The balance of the hops found in just about every Dogfish Head beer worked very well with the apricots. Has a bit more carbonation than I would prefer, but not so much that it put me off. I had one of these and would probably drink one or two more before I would rather move on to something else. If you're having just one, this is one I'll choose fairly often.

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

on tap poured into pint glass

a: clear redish color, slight head that reuces to lacing rings

s: strong fruitiness, followed by citrusy hops

t: carmelized fruit/apricot. hops are clean and balance well. Finishes slightly tart

m&d: this is were the beer loses me, I find it to be a bit syrupy/medicinal. Ok drinkablility, but not my cup of tea.

Cheers!!!

1.82/5  rDev -52.6%

bottled 2/3/08

poured a clear golden copper with a 1 finger white head which left minimal lacing

smell is tart(apricots) and bready malts no hops i can detect and i swear i can smell bottled water if thats possible

taste is tart apricots and a little malt - this is an IPA???? need to change this one of course i was expecting 60min with apricots. this beer is too tart. this beer would be much improved with some more malts and hops. this is water with unripe apricots. Complete Rubbish

mouthfeel was medium and overcarbonated imo. it was like drinking apricot soda.

not drinkable imo - but i bought a four pack and the 1st to the last now it has not changed - glad i tried it but never again

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Pours a deep clear copper color with an off white head that lingers pretty well leaving nice lacing.

Nose has very minimal apricot, but it is there (barely). Not a terrible amount of hoppiness in the nose either, but there is some rock candy like malt sweetness, tiny touch of apricot, a bit of fructose.

Wow. Taste is suprising sublime. A nice but not overwhelming apricot presence. Sort of accentuated by the dryness of this beer. The IPA part of the equation works well with this providing slight bitterness and some citrus flavor to match the softness of apricot. A very well blended flavor profile. The malt profile and slight sweetness works with the apricot as well. Defenitely an interesting beer. A crisp dry finish is essential here with the fruitlike profile, and this one delivers that.

Mouthfeel is pretty much right where it should be here. Carbonation is fine. Love the dryness here, really makes the beer.

Drinkability is alot more solid than i expected for an "apricot brew". I was expecting it to be a bit more cloying and was pleasantly suprised.

Overall, I like it for what it is. Will i buy a half rack tomorrow? no. Would i drink six of them if asked to? yes. Not my favorite beer ever, but ive got to respect how well they've balanced the IPA and fruit profiles of this beer. Not an easy task and it is pretty well done with this one. If "melding" were a category, this one would get a 4.5 in said category. Give it a shot, a unique and interesing beer.

2.74/5  rDev -28.6%

A: Pours a light amber with a fizzy white head that leaves decent lacing.

S: I didn't really get too much hop aroma with this one. Some apricot, but mostly a musty malt aroma. I wasn't really impressed at all.

T: Malty & fruity sweetness with an aftertaste that just didn't do it for me. Metallic aftertaste.

M: Average mouthfeel.

D: The 7% alcohol is hidden very well, but I just didn't like the taste. I'm happy that I only bought a single 12 oz. because I doubt I will ever buy this again.

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

Got the day off due too supposed bad weather, smokin the pineapple, chillin with my lady, a good day....

call me crazy, but I've never had an apricot. So I'm trusting my girl's taste notes on this one....

this brew pours up a clear copper color with a decent off white head. the nose is slight sour light fruits (im guessing apricots), subtle hop bitterness. the taste is apricots (im guessing), they are very strong in this brew, lots of hop bittering but is totally cut with the sourness of this brew. Reminds me of an American Flemish Red...minus the red. medium bodied, medium carbo, a weird bugger

EDIT: Is this brew supposed to be sour???

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

A- golden/red, white, sudsy head that sticks to the sides of the glass.

S- dark fruity sweetness and citrusy hop aroma.

T- mild sweetness followed by a bitterness from apricots mixed right in with the bitterness and citrus of the hops.

M- A bit flat upfront with a very bubbly carbonation coming in later. Medium body.

D- An interesting brew that goes down easy and really refreshing.

2.95/5  rDev -23.2%

A deep sunset orange-reddish color with a slightly frothy white head. A nice deep color--looks like more than just an IPA. No cling or lacing, just a thin white foam layer on the surface.

Creamy, malty aroma with hints of peaches and apricots. A smell that strikingly reminds me of peaches and cream instant oatmeal.

Hop in the up front, then it disappears to a watered down fruit taste, some staleness in the finish. The apricot does not come through as fruit, more like a spice or herb. It's not sweet, it is just there. The taste is very mild, expecting more hops and a different fruit flavor. Similar apricot flavor to a Magic Hat #9, just more of it. Apricot must dull the taste of beer. The alcohol is in there--it tastes more like a 5% ABV rather than a 7%. It sneaks up on you, like a ninja! This is one of those ninja beer. Clean finish.

Average to medium body, on the creamy side. Very drinkable, just an odd flavor. I would wish for more hops if it's an IPA, as it says it is. I don't think I'd want more, however, it might be good ice cold on a hot day.

Overall very unimpressed. It may be just that it's old-bottled 2/27/08, a year ago. I'll have to give a fresh one a go.

3.56/5  rDev -7.3%

A - pours a orangish copper color with just a bit of foam that quickly disappeared

S - aroma of slight hops, slight apricots and sweet malt. Nothing too overpowering either way, just a blend.

T - slight apricot flavor, more like dried apricots along with the hop presence. I remember this one being better, but maybe i'm not remembering correctly. I don't think its bad, I guess I just remember something more fruity, there is almost a metallic smell and taste

M/D - decent carbonation and mouthfeel, it goes down pretty smoothly and quickly, but the taste is leaving me not wanting another for awhile.

3.89/5  rDev +1.3%

A- Clear red copper color. Not the greatest head retention.

S- Fruity, sweet carmel with a hint of apricots, mixed in with a pleasant hop aroma. Malty undertones are also present. overall there is nice balance.

T- Carmel fruitiness mixed with a nice hoppiness. The hops are grassy. Aprihop has a mild acidity to it. At the end there is a nice tartness at the end. The beer ends up with a clean, dry finish.

M- Medium body that has lively carbonation that cleans the tongue.

D- I only bought a single bottle, however I could see myself drinking many of these beers. Its not too strong and has good taste.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle poured into a shaped DFH pint glass.

DFH Aprihop poured an orangey copper with a fleeting one-finger head. As it disappeared from the glass, it left a moderate amount of lace behind. The smell was subtle fruity/hoppy--pleasant, but not remarkable.

The taste was like dried fruit. I'd like to say it tasted like dried apricot; however, if I didn't know it was apricot, I might not have called it. Aprihop has the taste and feel of a good IPA with a hint of fruit that compliments, but doesn't over-power the flavor. It improved as it warmed, and the last sip, at room temperature, was very nice. The feel suffers from a bit too much carbonation; however, the bitterness perfectly balances the fruitiness, making my tongue very happy.

DFH is a wonderful brewery, because although they sometimes swing and miss, they are constantly taking creative chances. Aprihop is the one-and-only fruit beer I've enjoyed, and that's because at its heart, it's an IPA. I drank this beer at one of my favorite places and it ensured that there was nowhere else I would rather have been.

2.96/5  rDev -22.9%

The aroma on this one is a slight stank from the hops and the fruityness of apricots. The flavor is not very bitter, but bitter enough to be an IPA. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. The finish is clean. Very carbonated, very foamy. But not horrible.

2.41/5  rDev -37.2%

Copper colored with a foamy white head. Decent retention and a few lace worms that hang around for awhile.

Smells of sour apricot with faint hop stank.

Tastes of sour apricot that becomes progressively sweeter. Wheres the hops?

Tastes like a Magic Hat #9 gone awry.

2.34/5  rDev -39.1%

I feel like these orchard fruit type flavors show up in the flavor of many dogfish beers, so this should be a natural fit, right?

orangish red clear colored liquid, good head initially, but leaves quick with a slight lacing.

very yeasty, watery smell. little substance, it seems. no real hop aspect to speak of.

wow. way too much fruit here. they weren't lying at all. the apricot just takes over the flavor, with only the slightest hop presence on the back end.

decent enough feel, a bit watery and unsubstantial.

uh, I understand the pitch here. they have succeeded in making a fruit beer. fruit first. but, as a beer, as an ipa as they say on the bottle, it fails. very little actual hop, malt, complexity etc. and that's okay if you are looking for a wine cooler. but I was looking for a beer.

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

This Dogfish beer in my Dogfish glass looks oh-so-good (particularly on this hot spring day). It's like the perfect translucent brown--not amber like a red or yellow like your traditional macro-brew, but dark enough to offer substance yet light enough to appear refreshing on a day like today. The full inch of head settles to a thin layer of foam that covers the top.

The smell is confusing. I don't know if it's the apricots or what, but the beer doesn't smell too good. Believe it or not, it reminds me of a warm, half-full Miller Lite. I've got to hold the glass up and look at it to convince myself that's not what it is. The bottom line is that I don't like the smell.

Well, the taste is better than the smell, but not as good as the look. It's kinda weird--the sweet apricots occasionally make me squint my eyes and pucker my mouth like I just bit into a lemon. I think of lemons, take another sip, and the beer's reminiscent of sweet tea. It's like the beer equivalent of sweet tea vodka. As I try to embrace the hop taste...I don't really taste any. I guess it's what makes this drink taste like a beer, but it's certainly not like most IPAs I've had. In my experience, adding fruit to an IPA (or even DIPA) really disguises the hops. This is no different.

Mouthfeel is average. It's not real hoppy so I miss the enamel-pulling characteristic of hop monsters, and the apricots offer a weird (but unique) sweetness. Oddly, though, the mouthfeel is thin and lacking significant substance. That seems unusual for a DFH production.

Drinkability is okay. The beer is fairly refreshing, but it yearns for identity--is it an IPA or a fruit beer? I've read about the recent recipe change (and talk of going back to the original), so this is literally a beverage without a definite identity. This one's fresh--bottled in 2/09--but I'd agree that this recipe needs some tweaking.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Poured a clear copper/amber color. Head was about a finger and a half, but quickly became just a thin covering over the brew. I got a scent of dried apricots covering citrusy hops. This was accompanied by a hint of sweet malts. The smells seemed pretty restrained. Apricot and hops are the first tastes, but I found them to be a little weaker than I was hoping for. I really dug the sour apricot taste that finished each drink. I've heard some people complain about this, but I actually found it to be a highlight. I can't comment on this season being different from that, as this is the first time I've had this beer. Overall, I thought found this to be a pretty solid beer.

3.49/5  rDev -9.1%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of creamy head. I took a big whiff and got the floral aroma of hops with a hint of the apricot. The apricot taste is sneaky. I didn't get it at first but it slowly worked its way onto my tastebuds. It is subtle. It tastes a bit sour. Overall, not bad but I do not see myself sitting around drinking it all day. It's worth a try.

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

Disclaimer: I have never had an apricot.

Poured bright red into a stein, the only glassware available during the kitchen renovation. Initially has a thick eggshell-colored head, but slowly dissipates to a thin cap, with wispy lacing throughout the drink. Aroma is... well I am not quite sure what apricot smells like, but if I had to guess this would be it. Fruit, some spiciness, and of course some citrusy hop aroma. Mouthfeel is standard, medium-light body with some refreshing carbonation. Taste took me aback, and initially I did not know what to think - not unlike my first tasting of Festina Peche. Sour, orangey, with what I perceive to be an unrecognizable fruit flavor which I will take as apricot. Whatever it is, I like it. I find it quite sour in the middle. Finish dry with a tinge of hop bitterness and lingering sourness. Drinkability is very high, as the 7% ABV is completely covered up by the sweet and sour flavor. Overall, this is a great brew, although unusual. I knew what I was getting in to.

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

I could put these back all day. And did.

My friends and I had a BBQ recently and I put a four pack of these in my fridge. I opened one up and was immediately hit with the apricot smell. I was not sure what i was in for, but upon taking the first sip, I decided that this beer was great.

Apricot is a funny beer additive in the sense that there isn't much middle ground. Pyramid's apricot is weak, Magic Hat #9 is poorly balanced, but the Aprihop strikes it perfect. The taste is subdued by the alcohol content and the booze is masked by the apricot. You never realize you are drinking something pretty strong.

Until you're 3 in the hole of course.

3.36/5  rDev -12.5%

A- Pours a dark ruby color with a nice off white head. Head has nice retention and leaves little lacing.

S- Smells of grain along with sweet malts and some apricots are there, but there's a definite lack of hops in the aroma for a beer called an IPA.

T- There really isn't much hop bitterness at all. Mild flavors of apricot and bready malts hang around towards the finish. The apricot flavor comes back again at the last second.

M- Medium in body and nice carbonation.

D- I think I could easily drink a few of these. The first thing I thought of after my first sip was Magic Hat #9 only bigger.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Dark ruby red. Pencil thin head. No lace. Smells like beer. No apricots shine thru. Taste is really smooth. Too smooth. Neither hops or apricots are detectable. This is just a really drinkable ale that dosen't shine in any way except that the 7% seems more akin to a 3%.

Overall: A good beer for the girlfriend. I liked it but 10 bucks a four-pack is a rip-off.

3.17/5  rDev -17.4%

Beer pours a light caramel color with some orange highlights. Nice 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, minimal lacing in glass. Sweet apricot and hops dominate the smell. Taste is of citrus hops up front that follow with a bite of apricots, some sweet malt is present with help with the balance of the beer. Mouth feel is good, not too much carbonation.

Fruit beers are generally not my thing and this beer is no exception. However, this is still a well made beer.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

An IPA mashed up with a fruit (apricot) beer? It's a really inspired blend, something that immediately became a classic of both styles for me, and which I'm rating highly in large part just because it is so unique--I can't think of anything else quite like it.

The nose is full of apricots and spicy citrus hops, and the taste is even more of both, in a very very good way--moving from a little toasted malt through the apricot juice and finishing with the spicy hops. It's got a nice carbonation and tastes clean and crisp, and I thought it was highly drinkable--would absolutely buy again.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Reddish orange with a mousse like head of cream colored foam that leaves fine lace on the glass. Smells of apricot and steely hops and faintly of roasted malt. Much bigger flavors than the nose suggests, Bitter fruity hops with malt struggling to get through to balance. Definately apricot heavy. Medium slippery mouthfeel with crisp carbonation that adds to the drinkability.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "BOTTLED ON 03/04/09"

A- Clear and copper. Pours with 3 fingers of light tan head, which fades slowly to a solid cap; excellent retention. Ample lacing.

S- Spicy apricot and citrus hoppiness. After the initial burst, the spicy essence becomes more prominent.

T- Wow, the apricot is really shining through big here. Sweet-and-sour fruitiness. Bitterness is moderately low.

M- Well carbonated and crisp.

D- Decent. Easy enough drink, and alcohol is blended well. Probably too fruity for me to want more than one at a time.

Future outlook: Interesting drink. I like apricots, and this captured their essence in beer form fairly well. I would think that if you don't care for apricots, don't bother. Not any sort of a craver or go-to seasonal, but I can see getting another single of this at some point, or looking to find some food pairings.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery