ApriHop | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Ratings: 4,988 |  Reviews: 1,730
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a mostly clear light amber color with a decent sized tan head. Ok retention and fairly good lacing.

Smell is like opening a fresh pouch of dried apricots, kind of a musty fruit pithy nose. It must have taken quite a bit of hops to even make them detectable over the apricots, but they managed to do that here with some grassy and citrus aroma.

I dont mind fruit in my beer at all, but apricots seem a bit of an odd choice...not to mention pairing them with an IPA! I get some, but not an overload of hoppy bitterness as the semi-sour nature of apricots provide most of the flavor. Malts seem to be kept to a bare minimum and the body is pretty light. To me, this beer seems like it is as good of an apricot beer as one would ever find, but I dont really think apricot flavors are well suited for beer...for my palate anyway.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

12 ounce bottle purchased from Beverage Warehouse in Marina Del Rey for two dollars and some change, drank last night, poured into my Dogfish Head snifter

A-Golden orange that is on the darker side for its style, one inch of soapy white head that lasts about five minutes, some lacing at first
S-Cascade hops, apricots, pears, citrus, grassy accents, lightly toasted malt, caramel, and bread
T-Starts off very fruity with apricot and is almost tart, bready malt in the middle that is pretty chewy, finishes with a light hop flavor but the apricot overshadows it, warms up with even more sweet fruit, hard to even tell this is an India pale ale, needs some more hop character to provide some balance
M-Sweet, only slightly dry, and tangy mouthfeel, medium bodied, decent level of carbonation, taste lingers too long for the style, not crisp like this style should be, too sweet and fruity
D-Could barely finish the bottle, alcohol is hidden well but that is probably because the apricots hide most other flavors, not smooth, needs balance

I was really looking forward to this one and was let down a bit, not much of an IPA, too much apricot presence, 60 or 90 Minute and this cannot even be mentioned in the same sentence in my opinion, might drink again but I am in no hurry, still worth trying for its uniqueness

3.63/5  rDev -5%

Bottle poured into Chimay chalice.

Dark amber color with minimal amount of tan head. Fizzy and well carbonated. Smell is fruity: a mix of peach, apricot, and canned fruit cocktail. Caramel malt in the background.

Taste is an interesting balance of the sweet apricot and bitter hops.. the balance actually comes out fairly sour.

This is definitely a little different and hard to call an IPA. Not something I really enjoy, but not bad.

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Pours a pale amber, light head, light retention

S - very light faint sweetness to it. Very light hops.

T - ok, I feel wierd drinking this beer. I don't taste much hops, I don't taste much Apricot, but I taste sushi...?

M - low carbonation. Dry mouthfeel

D - this beer is light and refreshing enough to session, and the taste is so light and crisp, that it makes it highly drinkable.

4.72/5  rDev +23.6%

This stuff is a great spring/summer beer. Swig it down on a hot day, goes down super smooth! This is a apricot beer for the conesiour or hop head. Anyone who thinks Magic Hat #9 is too sweet or wussy should give this a try. Appearance is very pretty, dark coppery color that is see through with a light head. Super smooth drinking. So sweet to drink, yet you get the wonderful hop finish (and a good hop belch if you drink it quick!) This beer is fantastic, look forward to it this time of year!

3.81/5  rDev -0.3%

On tap at Sac Brew

A - Poured a light mahogany, wth a 2 fingered off-white head. Dissipated moderately slow and left some pretty lacing.

S - Malted apricots, grass, and hop bitterness.

T - Honey, grass, and light apricots. The bittering hops went on vacation for the taste.

M - Malt dominated, slightly thin, with a sweet aftertaste.

D - Not bad. Not sure I would order this again. Bold marriage between the flavors of an IPA and an apricot.

3.32/5  rDev -13.1%

I was glad to find a single of this stuff so I didn't have to blow 10 bucks on figuring out if I like it or not. Poured half of a 12 oz. bottle into a small tasting glass.

A- Pretty average looking beer, translucent copper, off white head. Not much that stands out.
S- Smells very sweet and fruity. Lack of hops for what is described as an IPA with apricots.
T- Follows the smell, sweet malts and tart citrus fruits. I probably wouldn't have been able to say it's specifically apricot I'm tasting if it didn't tell me so on the label. Not as hoppy as I expected for an IPA.
M- Medium bodied, becomes syrupy as it warms.
D- Probably too sweet to have more than one. Could go well with a fruity dessert.

Overall, not too bad, but probably not something I will buy a four pack of. It just doesn't really do it for me.

3.43/5  rDev -10.2%

4-pack purchased at Vendome Fullerton. Bottled on 03/04/2009 and consumed on 04/03/2009.

A- Poured into an Allagash pint glass, Aprihop pours a transparent copper color with a moderate off-white head that quickly dissipates to a patchy layer and a thick ring along the inside of the glass. Minimal lacing overall.

S- Sweet smells of grain along with fruity malts and some citrus fruit. Notes of apricots are there, but there's a definite lack of hops in the aroma.

T- The taste is fairly tart and there really isn't much hop bitterness at all. Mild flavors of apricot and bready malts hang around towards the finish, which is dry and a tad watery. The funky apricot flavor re-emerges as the final taste sensation that sticks around on the palate. This is not an IPA.

M- A medium-bodied feel with very active, fizzy carbonation.

D- Although this beer is puzzling, it is highly drinkable. I could easily have a few of these in a sitting, especially as the weather warms up.

A descent beer but a bit of disappointment.

2.48/5  rDev -35.1%

Appearance: poured with about 1cm fizzy bubbly off white head that dissipated quickly to a rim around the top edge leaving no lacing. The beer clear with a pretty bronze color.

Smell: Fruity, like sweet white grapes, reminds me of a white wine, small malt, very little bit of (flowery) hops.

Taste: Really tastes like a white wine, very sweet fruity flavors, grapes and apricot, a bit tart, with a small malt flavor. Leaves mouth with an unfavorable bitter sweet flavor.

Mouthfeel: Starts with some carbonation, medium/light bodied, becomes dry, then leaves mouth a bit sweet.

Overall: Its drinkability is not too great since the flavor is not very good. I would not classify this as and AIPA since I can't even taste the hops. It is too sweet with a slight tart/bittersweet flavor. On the positive side the alcohol is hardly noticeable for 7%

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass. This one's been in my cellar for around a year.

Clear copper color with a very thin slightly off white head that subsides to razor thin before I can measure it against my finger.

Very unique aroma. Hop presence with malt sweetness and apricot. It's unique. I like it.

Would be interesting to drink this side by side with a 60 or 90 minute IPA.

3.63/5  rDev -5%

Served in DFH glass at Brick Store Pub. Clearish copper in appearance with a tidy finger of off-white head. Sweet apricot fruity up front. Hoppy DFH hoppiness in the middle, but very sweet this year. Tastes and looks like the 60 but dosed with fruit.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a pint glass.

A - About a finger of head that dissipated quickly. Nice lacing. The body is a rich copper color.

S - Citrus, and the apricots definitely are there.

T - Not too hoppy, with plenty of apricot in the finish. Citrus too, and a little sweet.

M - About average. There's a fair amount of carbonation.

D - Overall pretty drinkable.

2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Last of a 4 pack poured into a New Belgium Tulip.

A: Pours out a clean, richly bubbly golden amber with lighter brown (mahogany I suppose if you want to get complicated) mixed all together. Head starts out dense and a half inch thick but fades into a mere skin reaching across the top.

S: The aroma is (dare is say it) almost balanced for a Dogfish Head beer. Certainly not as extreme as I was expecting. I have in my head a clear idea of what apricots smell like, a dusty kind of tartness (almost stale) when dried and mixed with nuts, sweet, syrupy with a juicy tartness that makes your nose almost able to pick up a kind of texture in the smell itself, a kind of gritty, tannin-like profile somehow mashed into a discernible aroma. There are apricots here but not the kind I was expecting. They are evident on the first inhale then converse with the hoppiness of a traditional American IPA. The resulting aroma seems to take away more than give something back.

T/MF: Fruity, mildly bitter, slightly water/washed out and loose kind of swishy feel. Slightly grabbing in the back of the throat. The tartness of what I am normally familiar with with apricots is nowhere to be found here. There is a kind of nutty fruitiness, a sweet, but far from cloying nutty/fruity/malty sweetness mixed with a skinless apricot, with very little of that tannin-like grabiness that the skin of an apricot brings.

D: I really had high hopes for this beer and maybe it tastes like a fresh apricot, but to me and what I'm familiar with and what I've come to understand from apricots, this beer just doesn't deliver and on top of that it doesn't taste like much of an IPA either. Disappointing to say the least.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance: Bright orange/amber with lots of carbonation seen. Head is not so impressive, and what little there is recedes quickly. Otherwise looks fine

Aroma: Don't really smell much on the hops side, I get mostly apricots. Smells fine, but I'd like some hop aroma

Taste: Apricot is noticeable, hops are not there as much. Eh, I expected better, but it tastes fine. Some tartness from the apricot flavor, which is good, and malts as well

Mouthfeel: Lighter side..crisp going down

Drinkability: Tastes fine, and does a good job of covering up the relatively higher ABV. I'd recommend this, but I've had better from Dogfish Head

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a pint glass

A - Minimal head but a nice amber color. nice fine steady carbonation.

S - Apricots and sweetness. Then some citrus and resin notes. Interesting.

T - A very nice brew. The apricot is most certainly different. The hops though shine through. the citrus hops go nicely with the apricots. Definitely would class this as extreme beer.

M - A little coating on the sweetness but the hops really dry out on the finish. Fruit lingers and it is not to thick.

D - Worth trying. An interesting and different beer at that. While not really grabbing me with the hops its different enough that it is enjoyable.

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

A- An extremely clear burnt orange color with a few streams of carbonation that keeps the thin, frothy white head alive. Not the most exciting looking IPA, but what I've come to expect from Dogfish Head.

S- A little funky, apricot, a little fruity. Overall, it kind of smells like a gym sock, but I'm not repelled...

T- Oh wow... this is tart. There is a faint sweetness from the apricot, but it is almost as if the apricots that were used were a little unripe. For an IPA, this is just not doing it for me.

M- Very tart and clean. A nice carbonation level, but the tartness is far overriding any hoppiness.

D- A sweet, tart East coast experience. Not really my bag. I will give DFH credit for actually having apricot flavor though. One is enough.

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

A= Deep amber color leaning a little on the brown side. A small head rises out of it and falls however there are still a lot of bubbles rising to the top of my glass, just not making a head like a soda.
S= Pretty gross actually. I think it smells a little like a rotten apricot. Not a whole lot of hops coming through on it but quite a bit of rotten fruit.
T= A lot heavier than the smell first of all. Hops are there but subdued by the tart flavor. The finish the swallow however. The aftertaste is quite tart and pushing sour a little bit. The taste is just the opposite of the smell and it actually tastes to me like an apricot that's not ripe enough.
M= Average body and a clean finish. A little dry
D= Pretty good. Tastes interesting and I actually look forward to tasting more but I dunno if I would buy it regularly ever.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Frothy head dissipates into lace fairly quickly. Beer is golden brown with a slight reddish hue.

S - I'm not a huge fan of the nose of this beer. The hops are masked by the apricot, and the smell of the apricot is not particularly exciting. It has a slight must and earthiness to it that grows on you the more you smell it.

T - I expected more of a unique taste. The hops are hiding in the background behind the apricot and the malt. The hops are so hidden that, if I had never seen the label, I would never dream of calling this an IPA. It's tangy and juicy, but, then again, so are most apricot beers. It's an enjoyable beer, but not remarkable in any real sense.

M - The finish is very pleasant - I keep going back for more. It's obvious that real apricots were used, the fruit is incorporated in a very balanced way. Good carbonation.

D - It's an enjoyable beer to drink, but I see no reason to go crazy over it. I will very happily finish this beer, but I won't be actively seeking out another anytime soon.

4.29/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer was had on a business trip to San Antonio at the local Flying Saucer.

Really good beer. Looks nice. I assume the color is good since I only see black and white.

Carbonation seemed to fit this beer well.

It was a nice medium mouthfeel, hops up front, followed by apricot and malt, and ending with apricot and hops.

They did a good job with the flavors in this beer.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Beer poured into a Sierra Nevada pint glass. 2 finger head is formed and dies quickly. Plenty of nice bubbles and carbonation rise to the top of the beer. Burnt orange color. Smell is mainly hops with some citrus notes. Beer is smooth with a nice hop bite, not too overpowering, well balanced. Alcohol is hidden extremely well. Apricots are there in the finish and the carbonation holds well as you drink it. A pretty good beer.

In a US pint glass.

Clear amber with a dull off-white head.

Smell is malt and apricot. Smells like Magic Hat #9. Apricot doesn't taste extremely fresh, but it tastes like real apricot. A little bit of hop, but it's hard it separate from apricot-related smells.

Taste: tangy apricot and sweet malt. Pretty sour. It feels like it fizzes up at the back of your tongue. Hops are actually quite bitter at that point, but again the hop flavors are hard to perfectly separate from fruit. Grapefruit. Hops seem to come out more as it warms, now it seems more reasonable that it's called an IPA. A pretty sour, bitter, and sweet beer. Very interesting. and I really like it.

MF: good. That interesting fizzing action I mentioned already.

Drinkability is good. Its like maltier, hoppier, sour, more complex version of #9; very similar to that in it's smell and flavor. I prefer it to #9 because it's more flavorful.

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%

I was lucky to get a hold of a 4-pack that was only 4 days old when I opened the 1st one. Waited until the last one to review, but each one seemed just as good.

The beer pours a bright, clear orange amber color, with a white head that quickly dissipates. It doesn't give me much smell, but there is at least a hint of sweet fruit. The flavor is where it really is for me; clearly identified apricot sweetness and tartness, finishing with a bittering hop note. The flavors balance nicely.

I think I would have liked this beer even more if it was a bit lighter in mouthfeel. However, it was still good, and fun to have seasonally.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this from a bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Head dissipates quickly and leaves moderate lacing. When held up to the light, this beer is a beautiful dark orange, almost mahogany. You can smell hints of the apricots and other citrus, though the hops take a back seat.

Slightly high amount of carbonation, which I personally enjoy, though others may not as it can be aggressive on the tongue. It is rather sweet and this is why a little more emphasis on the hops would improve the overall taste. Still, for 7.0% ABV, it doesn't have a harsh alcohol taste.

This beer is definitely and acquired taste, but those that enjoy a sweeter beer with upfront fruit flavors will probably enjoy it.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottled on 3/4/09

So I took a little trek to Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley today to check out the selction and picked up a single of this with a few other things. A nice sunny, reasonably warm day in Oakland so why not.

Nice burnt orange, with ruby highlights and a solid stark white head that dissapates to an light smattering thicker at the edges of the glass. Love the color of this beer. Typical DFH package, which I think is nice, but hate the font they use, but that is for another time and place, maybe on Font Advocates...

Smells like I assumed it would, slightly hoppy with an overriding dried, unsulfured apricot base. Some other stone fruits like peach, fall in with notes of licorice and sassafrass. Over all this is pretty much on the sweet and fruity side. Would like to see the hops in a bigger capacity here, I see what they are going for but more aromatic hops would give this much better balance.

The flavors here are also more to the fruit side with good brightness and clarity. No cloying sweetness, just perfectly ripe stone fruit. Good tartness with an overall creamy feel, this is more "apri" than "hops." Has some lemony, citrus like components that also balance the ripeness of the apricot here. Again more hops, and I am not a huge HOPS guy, would make this much more complex and would move my scores up.

I like the sweet/tart/acidic interplay on the mouth and the light, pinpoint like carbonation. Overall a pretty creamy number.

Hot day and a 4 pack of this no problem. I don't see the fruitiness building to become cloying here, it seems to ride that perfect line. I wouldn't always be in the mood for this but then again that is why they make it a seasonal beer.

2.53/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Poured a darker orange color with a nice fluffy off white head that disappears quickly with minimal lacing.

S: Sweet sugary smells with a decent amount of fresh fruits and apricot. A slight hops nose is there too.

T: Sweet sugary fruits with apricot and some tangerine or orange. The sweetness really overcomes the beer and even seems to snuff out the hops that are there. Finish trys to be bitter but the sweetness comes swelling back to the point of being cloying.

M: Sweet and sugary that lingers with a wierd aftertaste. Alcohol can be felt faintly.

D: Low, this was almost a drainpour to me. By the end of the glass I wanted the beer just to go away, it was that bad.

Overall I fail to see how anyone can enjoy this beer. The sugary sweetness is just overwhelming with no balance at all. DFH, sorry I love most of your beers, but this one I just don't get.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery