ApriHop | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Ratings: 4,991 |  Reviews: 1,730
3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this from a bottle, poured into a tulip glass. Head dissipates quickly and leaves moderate lacing. When held up to the light, this beer is a beautiful dark orange, almost mahogany. You can smell hints of the apricots and other citrus, though the hops take a back seat.

Slightly high amount of carbonation, which I personally enjoy, though others may not as it can be aggressive on the tongue. It is rather sweet and this is why a little more emphasis on the hops would improve the overall taste. Still, for 7.0% ABV, it doesn't have a harsh alcohol taste.

This beer is definitely and acquired taste, but those that enjoy a sweeter beer with upfront fruit flavors will probably enjoy it.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottled on 3/4/09

So I took a little trek to Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley today to check out the selction and picked up a single of this with a few other things. A nice sunny, reasonably warm day in Oakland so why not.

Nice burnt orange, with ruby highlights and a solid stark white head that dissapates to an light smattering thicker at the edges of the glass. Love the color of this beer. Typical DFH package, which I think is nice, but hate the font they use, but that is for another time and place, maybe on Font Advocates...

Smells like I assumed it would, slightly hoppy with an overriding dried, unsulfured apricot base. Some other stone fruits like peach, fall in with notes of licorice and sassafrass. Over all this is pretty much on the sweet and fruity side. Would like to see the hops in a bigger capacity here, I see what they are going for but more aromatic hops would give this much better balance.

The flavors here are also more to the fruit side with good brightness and clarity. No cloying sweetness, just perfectly ripe stone fruit. Good tartness with an overall creamy feel, this is more "apri" than "hops." Has some lemony, citrus like components that also balance the ripeness of the apricot here. Again more hops, and I am not a huge HOPS guy, would make this much more complex and would move my scores up.

I like the sweet/tart/acidic interplay on the mouth and the light, pinpoint like carbonation. Overall a pretty creamy number.

Hot day and a 4 pack of this no problem. I don't see the fruitiness building to become cloying here, it seems to ride that perfect line. I wouldn't always be in the mood for this but then again that is why they make it a seasonal beer.

2.53/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Poured a darker orange color with a nice fluffy off white head that disappears quickly with minimal lacing.

S: Sweet sugary smells with a decent amount of fresh fruits and apricot. A slight hops nose is there too.

T: Sweet sugary fruits with apricot and some tangerine or orange. The sweetness really overcomes the beer and even seems to snuff out the hops that are there. Finish trys to be bitter but the sweetness comes swelling back to the point of being cloying.

M: Sweet and sugary that lingers with a wierd aftertaste. Alcohol can be felt faintly.

D: Low, this was almost a drainpour to me. By the end of the glass I wanted the beer just to go away, it was that bad.

Overall I fail to see how anyone can enjoy this beer. The sugary sweetness is just overwhelming with no balance at all. DFH, sorry I love most of your beers, but this one I just don't get.

2.41/5  rDev -36.9%

Beer pours a copper color with an almost pinkish hue when held up to the light. A nice thick head slowly disappears.

The apricot really dominates the nose. It smells more like a jammy, sweet, preserved apricot than fresh apricot. Some hops in the nose, but not much. Get a fair amount of malt aroma as well. Unexpected in an IPA, but this one really isnt an IPA.

Taste is hugely disappointing. It is almost like two flavors that don't work together. The bitterness of the hops of an IPA meet with the sweetness of apricot to create...a very bland, unsatisfying beer. There is a touch of hop spiciness initially on the tongue, before giving way to a very cloying, frustratingly sweet and artificial apricot flavor. Again, it seems like apricot syrup more than fresh apricot. It just aint good.

The mouthfeel is good at least. Thankfully I only bought a single of this. No way I could make it through a fourpack.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

A - Looks attractive from all angles. Nice head that sticks around for a while and good lacing. Good clarity and amber color that tends toward the orange. The surface tells me it's a craft beer.

S - I give the smell a good rating. It's fruity and sweet, and just plain interesting.

T - Not what I was expecting. It doesn't represent the style like other offerings from this brewer. It's fruity up front with a similar finish. Upon the first sip, I was immediately taken back to my college days; dare I say - this stuff reminded me of another dog drink: mad dog 20/20.

M - Totally conflicts with the taste. The mouthfeel is about equal to their 60 or 90 minute IPA, so very good indeed. I just can't reconcile it to the unusual taste.

D - Unfortunately one is my limit here. The beerless taste combined with the high ABV are the culprits.

Sorry DH - you guys are great but you can't win them all.

2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my New Belgium globe glass.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy, dark amber, almost brown, with one finger of white head. The head lingered for awhile, slowly subsiding to a thin layer. Decent lacing.

Smell: An apricot sweetness, bready malts...minimal hops, some piney notes in the background, Somewhat of a tangy note as well. Sweet malts, and hints of the alcohol seep through.

Taste: Where are the hops? Tastes more like a fruit soda than a beer. Sweet and tangy apricots dominate the flavor...and, well, that's really it. A minimal hop bitterness in the aftertaste, but not much of one. Some breadyness from the malts seem through, but the tangy notes of the apricots are the dominant flavor. This is not an IPA. Somewhat of an artificial-flavor aftertaste, which is fairly unpleasant. Alcohol doesn't seep through at all. Tastes more like a wheat beer, if anything.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but highly carbonated. Coats the mouth, but the high carbonation stings a little.

Drinkability: One was enough. I don't really know what this was, but this was not an IPA. It tasted like really highly carbonated fruit juice. It was easy to drink, I guess. I've heard this year's batch isn't nearly as good as previous years, but this year's is all I have to go on - and I was not a fan.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a crystal clear orange color with a one inch off-white head that falls to a cap. Minor lacing on the glass.

Aroma is of dried apricots just not as sweet. Not much in the way of hops.

Tastes is again of apricots mostly, a bit of malt sweetness, then there's a mild sour twang in the middle that's pretty pleasant. In the finish the hops do come into play but it's mostly bitterness rather than any hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, nice carbonation level with a crisp refreshing bite in the end.

I think I like it more than I did last year when I tried it but it's not that great of a beer. For a fruit beer though it's quite good.

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Fairly dark amber with a thin head that dissolves quick but leaves a good bit of lacing.

S - Hoppy mostly on the nose, followed by oak, sour cherry, and red wine.

T - Hoppy without much bitterness at all. Lactic and citric Sour on the palate. Hard to detect a lot of the apricot, but it is there. Leaves a weird sour aftertaste that lessens with every sip. Interesting, but not very balanced.

M - The sour cuts through the medium body, and the medium carbonation adds requisite smoothness.

D - The sour aftertaste, moderately high ABV, and the fact that it's an IPA make this one suitable for sipping, but I would definitely not have more than one of this one. Though taste-wise, it's pretty drinkable for an IPA.

Overall - I'm glad I tasted it, but I think I'll wait until next year before considering it again. apparently this year's batch has been subpar compared to previous Aprihop releases. Still, it was pretty good.

3.16/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a deep amber with a good-sized frothy white head. Retention is firm, lacing is superb. Smells of apple juice, floral hops, sugar cane, and...apricots. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp. Decent carbonation. Well done.

Taste is of tart apples, some hints of sweetness, and a nice hop kick in the finish. Bitterness is where I'd like it. Nothing really about the taste tells me this is an IPA though. More like a fruit beer. Decent, but I wouldn't drink more than 1 at a time.

2.06/5  rDev -46.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic. Bottled 12/08.

Pours a pretty clear golden-amber with some hints of red in the middle. Off-white head that disappears before you know it, leaving behind only a faint ring of bubbles.

This smells, to me, like a Bud/Bud Light. Sweet from the fruit (wouldn't have known it was apricot if this had been a blind tasting). There's a metallic sourness in the end that isn't at all appetizing.

Hugely sour. Sour mouth-puckering aftertaste. Again, not appealing. I wondered if I got a bad 4 pack, but two of the bottles so far have tasted the same way.

I've heard from other people that this year's batch isn't as good as past years. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But I have a feeling the high marks that have already been given for the current batch and the high marks that will surely follow are just because of the Dogfish Head name and the respect/love they have for the brewery. I have a feeling that if most people had to rate this blind, it would be no better than a C. If this were a BMC, it would have an F with reviews of "tastes like crap." But it's not, and I think people will describe it's uniqueness and inventiveness when they really don't like it. But, those are just my 2 cents. I've had some beers from Dogfish Head that I really enjoyed (60 Minute, Palo Santo), but this one just doesn't do it for me.

3.86/5  rDev +1%

A- Beautifully transparent golden ruby color. Airy off white head.
S- Smells like sour cherries and toasted nuts. i can't really smell apricots, but my perfume could be interfering. I'll try another later and see if I need to edit that.
T- Tastes like sour cherries on the fornt of the tongue and toasted nuts at the back. Nice, sharp hops immediately, but he hoppiness is concentrated on the tip of the tongue only, and dissipates quickly...I would swear this beer tasted very different last year, but i canmt be sure. Maybe they changed up the formula in some way. Still solid.
M-Nice, but due to the sour cherry kind of leaves your mouth watering or something. Don't like the "afterfeeling" much.
D-Good. Does not taste at all like it's 7%, which means ther's a nice alcohol/flavor balance.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

The second of over a year ago now of my first couple of Dogfish brews revisits me. Had this last summer and was curious as to how my tastes buds have changed.

A: Just impeccable. Wonderful mahogany, with some deep brunt orange colors glistening through and through. Nice creamy white-orange foamy head not lasting for much longer than a few mins, which in my opinion is perfect.

S: What a glorious dream of thoughts that arise from the scent of this brew. The exact day and hour of when where and what comes to mind and gets me all the more excited for whats in store. A beautiful bouquet of hops upfront masked by some pilsner malt, a tight smell reminiscent of a steel mill and a faint yet juicy apricot filled basket in the background. Mmmmhhhmmm...

T: Might I preface, that this beer produces one of the most enjoyable, curious and flavorful burps out there. Not sure if much else compares. All things in the smell of this brew make manifest in the short, crisp gulp it encourages. Talk about thirst quencher and utterly refreshing. The apricot seems to be a bit more obvious now then the smell, and this truly is an IPA masked with juicy fruit apricot. The malt is weak and at some point finds itself slightly off but none the less good. The hops are incredible, just incredible. Imagine chewing on a tender Warrior Hop while sucking on a succulent apricot ripe from the sun. And that... is what you get.

M: Almost near perfect and completely well suited for this brew. It is high, but as it warms and you find yourself at the bottom of the pint, it mellows a bit.

D: Went through two easily and on any regular session I could have easily walked through a 4-pack. As with most DFH from what I have noticed, is that the flavors are initially inviting but tend to bring you down the long haul later on as the flavors can soon become overwhelming.

Overall: Just imagine 60 minute IPA with an Apricot twist, and there birth Aprihop. Enjoy a 4, you wont regret it.

2.19/5  rDev -42.7%

I did not enjoy this beer. I'm not against adding fruit to beers, but this doesn't work for me. The blend of hops and apricot smells and flavors is off-putting. I don't want to rag on this beer, but the flavor is almost a yogurty, lactic sour, and there just isn't a nice way to say that. I dearly love DFH's IPAs, but this one is just wrong. For my money, these are not complementary flavors and really shouldn't be used together. I don't get some fruit beers. DFH clearly knows how to make good beer, but making a good fruit beer is a tall order for anyone. The fruit flavors aren't bad, per se. It doesn't taste artificial. My problem solely lies in the combination of these particular hop and apricot flavors. I appreciate the experimentation. It tempts me to give the beer a higher score, but I just don't enjoy it.

2.11/5  rDev -44.8%

Hops and apricots...those folks at DFH know how to draw out some crazy ideas. On to the beer:

The filtered orange color in this beer shows an array of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass, the head is fuzzy and drops to a thin lace. There's little firepower in the nose. There's a faint sweetness that reminds me of fruit juice, and a stale grain note. Time to panic?

This is hard to rate. Sharp alcohol, bitter hops, and fruit concentrate-like sweetness. Do I like it or hate it? Eh...that alcohol sting is not pleasant, and the apricot and hop flavors don't meld well. I want to chew on the apricot flavor, it's so gummy. Mouthfeel is light and flimsy.

Take a cheap, oversweetened fruit juice concentrate, then add it to a dull, hoppy beer with an annoying alcoholic bite. A bland, poorly balanced beer.

4.04/5  rDev +5.8%

really flavorful. the apricot is very apparent and its very hoppy as well. perfect for outside drinking. usually cheaper than most other dogfish head beers. my only main beef is with the packaging. it has some review by playboy and its really over the top. also it looks the same as all other dogfish beers. good beer. lame packaging.

3.71/5  rDev -2.9%

Redoing review. rated a C- for 2009 and this beer is way better than last year.

appearance: golden amber reddish, nice red dapple color

smell: smell is sublt. some citrus from the hops and not detection of fruit or apircot

taste: last year it tastes like a pale ale with fruit, this tastes like an IPA with a little fruit flavor on the back. kinds of just tastes like a weak IPA, good though. no sweetness as expected

mouthfeel: balanced IPA, medium bodied

drinkability: I actually could of used more apricot. Because now it just tastes like an avg IPA. Still major improvement over last year's disaster.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

My server handed me a standard pint of this beer at the end of the night at a local pub.

The beer had a surprisingly dark, complex color. I was expectign something lighter, but was impressed when it finally made it to my hand. It had a light head to it that dissappeared halfway through the beer.

The smell was nice. A mix of hop and apricot sweetness. More fruity than Magic Hat's #9, Aprihop packed a lot of aroma into this brew.

The first sip brought a nice tangy hop flavor to it. This was very similar to their 60 min IPA. Instead of following through to the citrus notes, we have a nice smooth transition to apricot. This beer straddles the line, and provides new, potential hop heads with a transition beer or veterans a lighter fare. Either way this beer does it right.

The mouthfeel was decent. Definitely more viscous that their 60 min.

The drinkabiltity was definitely there, however the sweet factor might stop some from imbibing in more than just one or two of these.

Final Thoughts - I really was glad I got to try this one. Fun creation that provides a good alternative from the standard IPA. Drink on!

3.3/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz, bottled on 02/03/09

clear classic amber. 1.5 finger head fades to wisps and ring. lacing is sparse.

aroma has faint but fresh fruit from the apricot. lightly toasted caramel malts and faintly grassy hops with a touch of citrus.

flavor starts with gentle malt and caramel with equally gentle hopping, enveloped by apricot fruit, with a twinge of acidity in the middle and towards the end, as more of the apricot skin and ripe fruit begins to pervade the finish. mild bitterness.

medium body, only a hint of wateriness. faint acidity in finish. refreshing carbonation.

where's the hops?

3.21/5  rDev -16%

A - Pours a nice dark orange/light brown color. Off white head, but thin.

S - There is an immediate sourness smell, which is unusual for this beer. You do get a hint of the fruit in the background though.

T - Initially it's sweet but only for a split second then it turns sour. Hardly any hops present, which is odd for an IPA. The apricot taste is still there but it's a bit more hidden than years past.

M/D - It has a medium amount of carbonation and a thin body. The beer has a bit of a dry aftertaste feel, which isn't too bad.

I normally enjoy this beer A LOT, but for some reason it is different this year. It's a lot more sour/tart tasting than in previous years. I would have liked to taste more of the hops and fruit...kinda weird, guess I'll have to wait out until next year.

2.55/5  rDev -33.2%

After a hard weeks work, a man just want's to sit down and enjoy his apricot IPA, but that didn't happen tonight.

This beer poured very flat and weak looking. Like a dark orange with yellow highlights? Like the Olly girls on their new show.

Smells like an apricot hostess fruit pie was dipped in a Miller High Life.

Tastes like an apricot hostess fruit pie was dipped in a Miller High life.

Thin body, sour bitter aftertaste. What a really bad beer. I'd rather drink apricot nyquil.

1.97/5  rDev -48.4%

12 oz bottled 02/03/09.

Orange body, big initial head, moderate longevity. Clear, some consistent light bubbling.

Pale malt? That is the main small of a quote "serious India Pale Ale"? Smells like noble hops a little, kinda musty but no apricots to be found.

Taste is sour apricot, dramatically underhopped for the style. The apricot taste is nuanced and genuine, tough to pull off and impressive. Covers up the hops. A little yeasty. Seemed sweet initially when it was actually just acid continuing to dominate a beer that struck a balance between sweet and dry. Faintly bitter hops peek through on the finish.

Vigorous carbonation, perhaps designed to mesh with or mask a light body. Finish is prolonged but overly acidic.

While I reviewed against a cross of American IPA X Fruit Beer, an apricot beer can't help but invite comparisons with Magic Hat #9... my $.02 is that #9 blows the doors off of Aprihop. The genuine apricot taste here is nailed, no doubt, but is that a good thing? Do I want to keep drinking it? It's sour, a little sweet, not really so good, definitely not so good at $9.99 a four pack. At least there is no hint of the 7% ABV.

Do better.

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

So anything from DFH I'm gonna try, no doubt. This beer won't be tried again, though. Poured a flat light brown, hazelnut color with very small head. Perhaps a hint of apricot in this, but very light. A sweet PA, I couldn't detect much in the way of hops in here. More like a brown ale. Perhaps up the hops or up apricot, something.
Still, I commend them on the try. It's good to see different things.

3.14/5  rDev -17.8%

G: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a medium amber color with lots of carbonation. Strangely, the cabonation seems settled at the bottom of the glass and is not rising as much as is typical. The head poured quite large, almost two fingers, and is a silky ivory with lots of bubbles.

S: Grasses and grains. A little bit of the apricot, followed by some of the hops.

T: Initial sweetness quickly becomes tart on the tongue and cheeks. Mild hops--more than #9, but not as much as the typical IPA.

M: Decent amount of carbonation. Any alcohol presence is masked by the apricot sourness.

D: Drinkable for a glass only. I don't believe that I could have more than one of these in a sitting, even in the summer. The fruit flavor is a little overpowering, in my opinion.

3.82/5  rDev 0%

Light amber honey-like color with a thin light-tan head. Aroma is fruity - apricots and a little touch of sour. Flavor is also a bit sour, with a good apricot presence, but not as predominant as the aroma. Behind that is a lightly bitter IPA-style beer. Decent, but not a favorite beer for me. They make a lot of beers that I appreciate far more.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle from 2009.

A- Had a finger and a half of light beige head. The head disappears quickly and leaves a thin ring of bubbles. Body is a dark orange color. It leaves a little lacing but not much. Very pretty.

S- Smell is a peachy/apricot with a fair amount of grassy hops.

T- Very tangy! It's also much sweeter sort of apricot than last year's, which I like. There's also plenty of hops to balance out the sweetness.

M- Very light bodied with a light carbonation to match.

D- This has to be the best summer beer. Light, fruity, & refreshing. I could easily drink the four pack at the beach or a picnic. Delicious.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery