Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Theobroma | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
TheobromaTheobroma

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

Added by slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008

Reviews: 776 | Ratings: 2,205
4.32/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pour starts blonde but shifts to gold.

An intriguing aroma. There's a lot of sweetness and spices there. The chocolate is very present on the front stage.

The flavor is...intriguing. There's a lot happening here. Some hotness, some chocolate...and some other things too. There is so much complexity here...

The hotness isn't left as an aftertaste like it is with most chile beers. It lingers, but it's not that afterburn.

I consider chile beers to be a novelty...and this beer to be very novel. It's not a beer to drink every day...but it's an amazing beer to try.

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a weizen glass (the largest glass I own).

A: Slightly hazy golden color, with a hint of orange. Lazy bubbles with an ample off-white head. Good head retention, eventually dissipating to nothing. Left no lacing, which surprised me.

S: Honey is very present, along with a light floral scent (probably from the honey). I didn't get any chocolate, but there is a hint of the peppers. An enjoyable, sweet aroma.

T: Again, very upfront with the honey. Almost like a mead. I didn't get much, if any, heat from the peppers, though it does seem to help temper some of the honey sweetness. Again, where is the chocolate? Maybe I'm spoiled by the in-your-face presence of chocolate from stouts, but I really didn't pick up any chocolate. And I would have liked to have a bit more of the chile flavor and heat.

M: Too thin. No real presence. Light body, low carbonation, surprisingly little heat considering the 9.0% ABV. I guess I'm looking at this like I would a mead, but even a mead shouldn't be this thin.

O: An enjoyable beer that is different from the standard fare. Would have liked a bit more body and more of the chocolate/chile, but even then it was still well-crafted.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled in April 2013.

This beer is lighter than I imagined with a hazy dark yellow color and small head. Not any lacing to speak of.

Bready, malty nose. Chocolate is there. Peppery, some chili aroma.

Chocolate comes through more in the flavor profile. Some heat and chili flavor come through at the end with residual heat on the palate.

Warming, soft carbonation.

Very interesting brew from DFH. Exotic but accessible.

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured a cellar temp bottle into a fluted snifter glass.
the beer pours a clear copper color with minimal eggshell white head that fades to nothing in a short amount of time. A few lazy streams of bubbles rise to the surface
Aroma is honey and chili peppers, maybe a bit of cocoa powder and a general spiciness. No booze or hops on the nose here.
First sip reveals an average body with minor tingly carbonation and a smooth texture. Flavor is grainy malt, honey, cocoa powder and spices. I get some chili pepper on the sides of my tongue and after each swallow on the residual in my throat.
This is quite a complex and interesting beer, but Im not sure I would pick it up again in the future. I am glad to have tried it and had the experience, but by the end of the bottle, Im wishing I had something else to cover the heartburn and throat heat I have lingering in my body.
Again, glad to try this experimental beer, but not a keeper in my mind.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet.

A - Color is a deep orange-gold. Very clear. Head is off-white and thin but creamy; made up of extremely tiny bubbles. Serious lacing that is more like solid curtains than lace.

S - Bready malt; hone; a soft, fruity note almost like cherries. There is an alcohol aroma that blends into a burning sensation in the nostrils, presumably from the chili peppers. No hops evident. Chocolate is not evident to me.

T - Initial soft bready malt flavor. In mid-palate I get a soft, powder-like chocolate taste, like powdered cocoa. The finish is sweet alcohol and hot peppers, then the aftertaste resurrects the cocoa powder again. No hops. At first, the pepper burn seems sharp and a bit jarring. After the beer warms, everything becomes more soft and gentle and the hot pepper taste becomes less harsh.

M - Low, smooth carbonation. Light to medium body. Hops bitterness is not noticeable. Some alcohol burn, but it is quickly buried under a rising hot pepper sensation. After the swallow there is a hot pepper burn all the way down my throat. It's unusual, but enjoyable.

O - Interesting combination. The chocolate is so subtle it is hard to detect. The hot peppers are certainly obvious, but they are not too harsh. To me it lacks in malt backbone to support these diverse flavors.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Look: It pours a hazy gold, with a one finger head. The lacing is currently minimal. It's a very "still" beer. I don't see any carbonation rising to the top, the liquid isn't moving around much. I find that interesting. It doesn't effect the grade one way or the other, just that it's interesting.

Smell: A lot of spices. I'm trying to pick them out, and I get a bit of pepper, and something that is like a dry grass. Not grassy like IPAs, but like a pile of dead grass. Heated. Weird. I can't put into words the other spices I'm sensing, but there is other stuff there. (I should check out the website I guess and see what they think, that sometimes helps.)

Taste: This is my first Chile Beer, so I was expecting a bit more spice, but I'm glad it doesn't have that in a lot of ways. It has no heat that I can sense. (Sidenote: I'm pretty tolerant to "heat" in food. I can eat a jar of jalapenos like it's nothing.) But there isn't any of that hear that I can detect. I'm picking up a bit on the cocoa right at the end, but it's very subtle.

Feel: Light/Medium on body, barely any carbonation during the drinking process. A bit of warmth from the ABV, but not much. It's hidden quite well.

Overall: Again, this is my first chile beer, so I'm not sure what to think just yet. This one, as a beer, is a good beer. I'd buy again for sure. I'm becoming a fan of Dogfish Head, and this was the initial reason I bought this beer, but I will be buying it again when I make certain beers. It's the only time I wish I was in the desert drinking. I don't know why, but that's the way this thing makes me feel when taking it in. A very solid beer. I hope to drink more from this style in the future and possibly edit this review for good or ill in the future. I guess if there was improvement currently, it'd be more of a punch in the aroma, maybe a bit of heat to the beer, spice-wise. Other than that, very good!

Edit: I see in the description on the bottle and this site that they seem to be aiming for a chocolate-esque brew. Not really getting that, but that's not a bad thing to me. That's what chocolate stouts are for!

2.86/5  rDev -24.3%

A: The beer is a light hazy orange color with a thin fizzy white head that quickly fades to nothing. No lacing. It looks a bit lighter than tea, but shares a similar appearance.

S: This might sound strange but I smell almost nothing at all. I mean there's an extremely faint smell of something like a drop of beer sitting on a counter...but I get nothing. Not even alcohol scent. There's no spice scent, no hops, no sweet smelling maltiness...it's a bit scary.

T: The flavor is extremely subdued, but it has this mild earthy woody flavor. I get a bit of mild malt flavor and a hint of alcohol. I'm not picking up any of the cocoa or chilies from what I can tell. There is a bit of earthy quality that might be from these two, but there is no rich cocoa flavor or spicy chili flavor. It has an almost tea-like quality to it which is nice though. Oddly I like beer probably for what it isn't. It tastes to me like a regular ordinary beer which is not nearly as "off-centered" as the DFH I know.

M: It has a good mouthfeel in general. The beer is fairly light bodied and very low on carbonation to the point where there aren't any bubbles in the glass after a minute or two. It is highly drinkable despite the high alcohol content.

O: Overall I feel let down on this beer. I was expecting more complexity, to taste some cocoa, some chilies...and in the end I was left with an ordinary beer. To the regular beer lover I could probably recommend it if they could get past the price, but to the DFH eccentric I would say look elsewhere in their portfolio. I rated it as an "okay" beer because I felt it was good enough to drink and enjoy, but it wasn't anything past that.

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Read the review prior to tasting

I obtained the beer from Lone Star beverages - Coppell, TX

very initial taste - honey, exacerbated as it warms, second initial taste - chocolate, the finish is a spicy, chili sensation - this coats the palate and allows the honey/chocolate sensation to dominate as the beer warms

light carbonation - in addition, there is a smoky smell and taste to it initially, this is the only thing I found off-putting, I was hoping for a more yeasty sense to it

Excellent, complexed-flavored beer, not my personal style, but surprisingly addicting as the beer warms

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours the color of golden honey. A light amber with golden and orange hues. Light passes softly through the body of the beer to reveal tiny speckled yeast. Has a warm and rich glow. Soft thin white head of delicate and creamy foam that fell fast and leaves wet lace to slide down the glass and show it's alcohol legs.

Nose is terrific with orange blossom and honey. The honey is fresh and raw and deeply sweet and it reminds me of mead. There is a light dusting of cocoa powder.While the honey is sweet the cocoa isn't and together with the whisper light scent of orange the sweetness reminds one of the gentle warmth of the sun. The malt is almost breaddy on the nose but it's not that heavy. The chile peppers give a peppery scent and the annatto imparts the scent of nutmeg.

Taste is spectacular. Light orange tickles the tongue and then the honey lays down to coat the mouth. The toasted grains which have remained hidden until now, show themselves rich and naturally sweet on their own. They give a depth and contrast to the mead like character to remind you that this is bread. This is beer. The chocolate is light as a feather, airy, and has a malted quality as it combines seamlessly with the malt. The orange adds brightness but isn't anywhere near as strong as the fruit in an ipa. It's more like a flower or the flutter of your eyelids. Something delicate. The nutmeg accents the fruit and the chocolate so well and then the chiles show up at the back of the throat to impart a soft heat. It's as though the beer glows inside you with a comforting warmth. Finishes like mead.

This beer is spectacular. It has a medium body but drinks so lightly. It has every food that brings comfort, warmth and joy. It's full and earthy but retains an almost divine lightness. You could sip it all day and be warmed by it. The peppers are so well done as to be authentic but carefully presented so as not be like fire. Leave it to dogfish head to bring back a beer from 1200 BC and celebrate the culture and history of great people and great beer.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from tap into snifter at dfh in Fairfax VA. I don't know why but I thought this would be dark like a stout. Pours an orange color with very thin white lacing. Aromas of tart stonefruit, sweet belgian type yeast, and a hint of chocolate. Taste is really unique. ..like expected...sweet malty belgian type yeast with a nice tart chocolate backbone. The chile is subtle but it finishes with a tad bit of heat. Its a very well balanced unique brew. Very rarely do you find an experimental brew with such a balance. Really nice and well worth the price tag I see it going for in the store..but superb on tap.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

I had fun with this one...Dogfish Head so its gonna be good for sure...

Pour is golden Aztec color..white head that stays for a while.
I enjoyed the taste is somewhat mild and it does not reflect the ABV..very drinkable with a slow buzz. Is that appropriate?

Is there a lip/mouth burn ,(you be the judge but I feel it), from the chilies at the finish? if so I like chili peppers anyway so that is a plus for me. Nice Lunch beer with some Jarlsberg swiss cheese.

Fun! I liked this a lot. As always thanks Dogfish Head!

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in a golden orange color.

The aroma has some honey and floral notes, with a bit of pepper.

The flavor first hits you with a bit of chili. It's certainly there at first, but then as you go for more and more, it slowly goes away as the chili really is faint in this. The bigger flavor is honey sweetness along with some light fruits and citrus. It's not too sweet, but it surely is dominated by floral honey notes. I did not get the cocoa notes, but possibly some vanilla in sweetness.

At 9%, you don't taste the alcohol at all. It's really drinkable actually.

In the end, it's not bad, but not really interesting either. Not really spicy, but well crafted and decent drinking.

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%

Drank from a New Belgium snifter.

A - Translucent orange with a couple fingers of head that fade quickly in to a fine film. Minimal lacing.

S - Honey and chile peppers.

T/M - The taste follows the nose with more emphasis on the peppers. Spicy, dry finish with a little bit of alcohol.

O - Not really my style, but it's definitely worth a try. The 9% alcohol is well hidden.

3.69/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1 Pint 9.4 fl. oz. bottle
Served in an imperial nonic glass

A - This beer pours golden/amber in color. It is topped with a couple inches of off-white head.

S - The dominant aromas are honey and floral hops. I think I get some pepper.

T - At first I noticed a little pepper. Then I tasted the honey. I am searching for the cocoa, but I am just not getting much. It is more of a honey and floral taste with hints of pepper.

M - Thin to moderate. The honey makes it smooth.

O - I was surprised by how light this beer was. I read that it had cocoa nibs and was expecting a darker brew. The pepper was also not as pronounced as I expected. The honey and floral aspects were nice. I guess I was more caught off guard by characteristics of this beer. I expected a dark, cocoa, pepper beer and got a light honey, floral, pepper beer.

3.94/5  rDev +4.2%

This is a very unique beer that is as complex as i have ever tried. Cocoa nibs and malt and spice lend itself to a very smooth drinkable liquid. Effervescence leaves early on but is necessary to bring out the true flavor profile. Especially good with a Padron Londres Natural cigar

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled in 2010 and cellared until the present time.

A: Hazy golden in color. Head sputters out almost immediately. No lacing whatsoever.

S: Very clean nose. Floral honey notes. Sweetish grainy notes. Suggestions of vanilla and pear. Not really picking up on the chocolate or chilis in the nose.

T: Honeyed sweetness. Floral. Layered vanilla. Quiet graininess. Hints of brown cocoa come out now and again, and build in intensity as the beer warms. Chili peppers come through toward the back end, though they are very mild in both flavor and heat.

M: On the heftier side of medium bodied. Syrupy and slightly chewy. Very smooth and well rounded. Seltzery carbonation.

O: It comes across a bit more mead-like than I was expecting, and it's perhaps a little too mild for its own good. However, it grew on me as I drank through the bottle. Seamless marriage of flavors and over the top smoothness are the shining points. Would be a nice change of pace as a digestif.

4.46/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured from a bomber into a pint glass. The appearance was very nice. It is a bronzed orange color; which was very unexpected and it had a nice 1/2-3/4" head with nice lacing. I loved the smell. It had a very spicy smell. I could smell the chilies. The chilies were also very apparent on first taste. At first I wasn't sure I liked the chili flavor but the subtle chocolate on the back end made it very nice. The spiciness also added to the mouthfeel of the beer. The tight carbonation with the spice of the chilies gave it a very zingy feel on the tongue which was surprising. Overall I think this beer was a big surprise from the pour to the finish, but it was a surprise I enjoyed.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Tasted on draught at the Tap House over 20 minutes.
This is another Dogfish creation whose appearance, for me is the most enjoyable element. It pours a light hazy orange-bronze with a thin ivory head that is fed by ample rising carbonation to maintain a collar... but the retention is poor with little lacing.
The nose is very perfumey, to me, with only a little room for warm biscuit notes and a hint of peppery heat.
It delivers an unexpected flavor burst as soon as it crosses the lips. The chilis are very forward and bind the dry cocoa in their smoke all the way through a sharp finish that's estery and alcoholic--a culturally relevant mouthful, but out of balance.
Despite the visible carbonation, it doesn't dance much on the tongue. Heat from the ethanol is more pronounced, with an ontherwise light feel.
This is another wacky beer-like creation from this brewer that assembles the elements of a distinct foodstuff to stuff in a glass and float a head on it. The ingredients are there, and it's a creative effort, but the blend just doesn't produce a good brew; I feel like I've been given some variety of Aztec medicine, instead.

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

Golden orange in color. Good amount of carbonation. Little head retention. Just a white rim. Hazy

Smells a little funky. Biscuity. That Belgian yeast aroma. Faint cocoa. Surprising how little like chocolate this is so far considering this is a recreation of the "premiere chocolate beverage of the gods." This smells a lot like a Long Trail brew

Tastes bready at first. Then a big hit of sweetness. Definitely honey and some bittersweet cocoa. The finish is floral, earthy, and spicy. The chili peppers linger on the tongue and in the throat with an increasing heat.

Coating and spicy tingling. The spice and heat is pleasant and warming

This is a unique beer. Lots of levels. Sweet and spicy. A nice dessert beer

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap at Tiger! Tiger! in San Diego. Attractive amber color in the small snifter. Well-carbonated but appropriate to this strong sipping beer.

Tangy, fruity, and interesting at first sip. The chile is quite mild, but there is a hint of heat after sipping for awhile. Warm and rich, fairly sweet. The cocoa flavor does not stand out by itself at all, but seems to help this whole peculiar concoction hold together. Richly flavored with the honey adding to the sweet and fragrant notes, but not overly honeyed.

Really quite tasty and one of the better of the strange range of Dogfish brews. I was happy to try it on tap.

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

doing a joint review, not much time to do a proper review. very chili forward and baking cocoa powder. lots of spice. real interesting. the color is much lighter than expected. sweet caramel syrup, i taste something like pears in here. very chili forward - if you like some spice most definitely worth a shot. leaves the mouth coated. a sipper in my opinion, something to enjoy with good food.

3.89/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Yay, a DFH Ancient Ale I haven't seen around here before! Purchased at Whole Foods, of all places - $14 a bottle. Poured into a balloon wine glass from a 750ml bottle. Shared with many others.

What's this? Pours a slightly hazy, golden color with about a half finger of white, fizzy head that dissipates pretty quickly. To me, this resembles a (although not NEARLY as shiny or refined) variation on a Sauternes dessert wine, only perhaps a little bit more thickened, bready, and far more rustic. Contains a syrupy viscousness that reminds me of wine. In fact, which of these Ancient Ales do not? Either way, it's definitely not at all what I expected (given the heavily advertised chocolate additions and focus), and I would never have guessed that this had any chocolate, let alone honey or chili peppers in this. Not sure how to rate this - on it's own, it's relatively okay, but according to DFH standards they've done prettier looking beers.

The aroma is awash with all kinds of wild, earthy flavors, although none which are relatively bitter or funky. There's an initial slight golden, bready grain flavor, which soon envelopes notes of honey, cocoa nibs, coffee powder, dried leaves, pepper, vague spices such as cinnamon and vanilla beans, and, yes, chili peppers. Although that in itself is the most subtle flavor, being an avid hater of chili beers it actually works to their advantage here. For the most part, it is the honey and cocoa power, as well as the slight peppery flavor, that works well. Not too sweet, actually, and fairly balanced, although it lacks complexity.

The flavor is definitely something else, however - truly fascinating stuff, and actually not too bizarre as feared beforehand. At first there's strong notes of honey, almost ranging on feeling caramelized at the finish, as well as a brief sugary sweetness that dwells into bittered, toasted cocoa powder, subtle coffee bean notes, and yes, a cracked red pepper flavor right at the finish. It actually really reminds me of a good, chilled, Mexican spiced chocolate beverage, with some honey and coffee to boot. The finish is long and complex, with the spiciness being most predominant even as it melds with the chocolate. The finish is definitely bitter - in the dried leaf, tannic sense, which definitely makes sense as no hops were used (the recipe states that anatto tree seeds were used instead). Slightly thin in body, which removes this from being a hearty experience. The mix of these flavors with golden grains is indeed bizarre, but it's charming enough.

However, it does, especially in small portions, work well as a dessert beer, which is exactly what we used this for to great success. I actually admit that I was won over by this beer as I am a fan of spicy choco delicacies, but I would have NEVER been able to even finish half of a bottle by myself. It coulda made one helluva stout, but, hey, whatever. Somehow, this all worked together, and I think Calagione probably wants people to divide this thing as a digestif or something similar. This impressed me far more than Midas Touch, and I really hope to try others from this series. Pushes the boundaries of fermented barley beverages, as always. Very interesting stuff.

4.48/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Twenty two ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter.

A- pours a bright, hazy orange/copper with a thin, off-white head that retreats quickly, leaving light lacing on the glass. Hearty volcano of carbonation from the bottom of the glass keeps a healthy quarter inch of head on top.

S- aroma of an old-fashioned can of cocoa and a faint wiff of chili. Scent of Belgian yeast and buttered biscuit.

T- similar to an Irish red ale, but with less malt and a hint of chocolate, however faint, and the subtle, yet increasing heat of chili peppers. Perfect brew to accompany the movie "Chocolat"

M- medium-bodied brew with even carb burn from the tongue through the swallow. The heat of the chilis starts to take over after the first few sips. Slightly viscous with a smooth finish of heated silk.

O- not an everyday drinker, but a terrific beer for special afternoons. The chili peppers create a warming of the face and head while the subtle 9% alcohol warms the chest. Something in this ancient recipe still delivers the magic the Maya knew about 3000 years ago. An afternoon fades into laughter and relaxation. "Theobroma" means "food of the gods"... I can see why the Maya thought this recipe should be reserved for their kings.

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 25.4 oz. bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass.

A-Pours an attractive dark amber, slight carbonation. Slight head to start, but disappears to no lace.

S-Vanilla, Cocoa, Malts, Peppers, very pleasant.

T-Gobsmacked by the the intriguing complexity, it takes a bit for the cocoa taste to kick in, then the chilie pepper bite. The pepper admirably replaces the hops 'bite' if you're an IPA fan, btw. All underpinned by a sweet malty honey flavour.

M-Light, smooth, almost no carbonation, easy drinking, and very satisfying.

Overall-I'd drink this brew again. I am surprised, impressed, and satisfied. Take a chance with something "different".

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours out a very hazy amber color. Only got about a finger of head with a very aggressive pour. Not much retention or lacing.

S: Honey, vanilla, citrus, and underlying notes of chile and chocolate.

T: Honey right off the bat. Chiles are dominant with the cocoa poking through as well. Spicy, but not overbearing in the least bit. Lemon and orange flavors are subtly present.

M: Medium creamy body with a softer carbonation. Leaves the mouth a tad tingly from the chile. Somehow, it goes down pretty light and easy.

O: Reading the label, I had expected a darker brew. To my surprise, it had a lighter malt which ended up playing in very well. There is a real nice complexity here and the chile is at a perfect level. Present, but not overkill. This is definitely one of the better chile beers I've had.

Theobroma from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery